test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

White Dragonwing unstoppable spin attack

2»

Comments

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    2. Certain classes have varying degrees of built-in ease-of-use based on their skills and the way they synergize. There are also cases of situational expertise. For example, I personally have less success on the Trickster Rogue when soloing, but excel when in a group (not because I'm being carried, but because I can focus my attention on a single target at a time...TR's are not inherently adept at handling groups of mobs, particularly elites.) Those same cases that may give my TR pause can be handled with aplomb on my CW, HR, or SW who are designed from the ground up to handle groups of mobs.

[snippetry]

Now if that's the way it's supposed to work, then so noted and accepted. Folks will learn to handle such encounters gingerly. The suspicion among many however is that this may be, at best, overly aggressive and at worst buggy. As active community members, we can dutifully report our impressions and await some sort of confirmation from the developers: it's either WAI or it's not.

Yes, I did actually dust off my TR and take it for a spin against these mobs, it was fun. I felt like I had to consciously select a priority target before engaging, rather than just wading in to see if it would indeed blend. It was gaming sorbet. Others may not enjoy the mild challenge.

The TR is easily my least favourite class to solo with, because it feels relatively gimped and fiddly these days- since mine is not a perma. It seems to lack tools to manage a lot of targets, or at least manage their aggro. People who used their free respec when WK first arrived will have a particularly bad time, as they don't even have the option to pop ITC and burst down as much as they can periodically. Even the bosses in some of the Sharandar mini-dungeons were a chore due to the adds, compared to other classes.

So, I admit that it can be tedious to solo with a TR, absolutely. However, my impression is more that the class itself is almost anaemic these days, and sadly in a need of a rework (which is apparently planned for mod 5). These sorts of pulls are fine on my SW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and CW, though. Rebalancing/nerfing the mobs or groups for the lowest (un)common denominator would be precisely the wrong thing to do.

I do believe you, that you can be snared and torn to bits in short order. Maybe I am old fashioned enough to expect that from a game, rather than being handed a large hammer, shoved into a room full of sedated rabbits, and being told that there will be prizes for all regardless.

Whichever of us turns out to be right in this instance, it will at least shed some light on whether the game design has suddenly grown some cojones, or it's just an example of poor QA.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    whinge

intransitive verb
    British
    : to complain fretfully : whine

/my pedantry is bigger than yours

Figures it'd be the British, can't drive on the right side of the road and they can't spell whine. =P
  • Options
    hitmarkhitmark Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For me the whites or the greens individually are not a problem. But i keep bumping into greens and whites in teams, and that becomes a mess right quick.

Thing is that the greens, on top of their thorn AOE or whatever it is, have a hellishly powerful "wave motion" shot. Easily dodged one on one. But when frozen by a white at just the wrong moment, it can take some 50% out of my hide in a single attack. Thus turning the fight from managable (abeit annoying) to a curb stomp on my expense.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hitmark wrote: »
    For me the whites or the greens individually are not a problem. But i keep bumping into greens and whites in teams, and that becomes a mess right quick.

Thing is that the greens, on top of their thorn AOE or whatever it is, have a hellishly powerful "wave motion" shot. Easily dodged one on one. But when frozen by a white at just the wrong moment, it can take some 50% out of my hide in a single attack. Thus turning the fight from managable (abeit annoying) to a curb stomp on my expense.

I'm honestly trying to understand this. What you just described is that you have a chance for failure. If you have no chance for failure how is that fun?
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to understand this. What you just described is that you have a chance for failure. If you have no chance for failure how is that fun?

You don't understand, it's like a toddler's birthday party, there must be prizes for all!

I'm only half-joking, there does seem to be a growing querulousness about things that can actually be failed. I know this game is looking for the casual dollar, but for goodness sake, not even Fruit Ninja is completely failure-free. A well designed game has accessible content for the super-casual players and kids etc., and something that rewards a little skill and practise and gets the pulse rate elevated slightly.

Good grief, a mob that can actually kill you, if you're not paying attention. A bug!
  • Options
    hitmarkhitmark Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Take a hike.

The problem i am having is not the chance of failure, if i didn't accept that i can fail i would not be playing.

The issue i am having is that while the shot is fine in a otherwise open fight, meaning that i have my own inattention to blame if i get shot, it is easily masked when i have multiple blacks, never mind a white or second green running around.

Under those conditions winning or losing do not come down to reaction time or such, but a virtual coin toss.