What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF tank spec...

2»

Comments

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    panisch420 wrote: »
    this should not be left alone here uncommented if you guys ask me.

what you are saying is, that you dont want your party to do more damage, because you might not be able to build enough threat against it. if put that simple, that's worth a tiny facepalm to me.
    but im not here to flame, but to get you back on track. *snip*

First where in my response did you see me say I never use ITF? You didn't because it isn't there. As a matter of fact I stated that I used it before and after Mod4. I was responding to the idiot who said parties should kick any GF who was not using ITF and illustrating why sometimes it is not the right tool for the job. Because sometimes it isn't. Especially when something like 1/3 of the delves I go on it is because newer guildies got stuck on the last map and need rescued a situation where me holding things down until they can clear the map is the best solve for the situation.
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I have a GWF as well, and there is nothing more frustrating than a GF or another GWF FLSing my target away from me. The distance is not much, yes, but for other melee players (I'd assume TRs would hate it just as much) those few feet can be the difference between a massive IBS crit and a blown encounter.

Only time I use Bull Charge in a dungeon is in VT boss fight. Massive single target burst and is a last resort gap-closer when going after caskets.

Also, as a Tactician, my build is most effective when getting hit, so I welcome damage. Perma Supremacy of Steel with 10% Life Steal and Regen is a real treat.

My GWF never has problems with it, its like a 1/2 second of sprint to close. The only 2 that really mees me up on any class ate Ice Storm and Bull. Again I will still use bull occasionally because if I kick the mob off the map there is no need to close with it. It's dead.
  • panisch420panisch420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    First where in my response did you see me say I never use ITF? You didn't because it isn't there..

Where in my response did you see me say that you said you never use ITF? You didn't because it isn't there. Can we just cut the immature bull**** right here?
    I got your point, mate, but you didnt get mine.
    I'm not getting why you are so on edge with every response you post, maybe take a chill pill?
    Noone is calling you names, even though you are giving ppl more reasons to do so than people gave you reason to do so, that you already called idiots, whats wrong with you?
    If you are not capable of having an objective discussion then maybe you should just stay out of it, for everyones sake. No offense.

...moving along...
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xd108x wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you need ITF, I certainly don't always run with it. I would just use it if you feel the group needs a damage/movement boost, although it is also quite useful for stamina regen as well. Also like I said above having survivabilty is more than how much HP you have but a balance of defense, regen, deflect and hp...stacking all into hp I wouldn't recommend...

Not even the Gods can come up with a reason not to use ITF in a party, its that good.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited August 2014
    panisch420 wrote: »
    Where in my response did you see me say that you said you never use ITF? You didn't because it isn't there. Can we just cut the immature bull**** right here?
    I got your point, mate, but you didnt get mine.
    I'm not getting why you are so on edge with every response you post, maybe take a chill pill?
    Noone is calling you names, even though you are giving ppl more reasons to do so than people gave you reason to do so, that you already called idiots, whats wrong with you?
    If you are not capable of having an objective discussion then maybe you should just stay out of it, for everyones sake. No offense.

...moving along...

Cheif you're the one who called my post worthy of a facepalm then condescended to say you were 'getting me back on track'. Perhaps you should pull the beam out of your own eye?
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can't really figure out why I feel tougher running a protectors build myself just from looking at the feats. I mean, the extra 5% defense on KV shouldn't make that much of a difference. Maybe it's the capstone damage reduction? When they're bunched on me (protectors) I use weapon masters strike because it hits more enemies, Weaponmasters strike is low damage but protectors is a purely defensive build. I usually un with high dps groups and GF damage is not going to be the deciding factor in the run's success to say the least.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Does supremacy of steel proc iron guard?
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Does supremacy of steel proc iron guard?

Guarded Assault does.

Also it works wonders in PVE!

My only concern with GFs is now that it seems KV+ITF are mandatory, you get 1 encounter power to use on what youd like. Most of the time its not even worth using at wills, just hold block forever, reflect and boost your party damage and keep them from dying.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Guarded Assault does.

My only concern with GFs is now that it seems KV+ITF are mandatory, you get 1 encounter power to use on what youd like. Most of the time its not even worth using at wills, just hold block forever, reflect and boost your party damage and keep them from dying.

Reckless Attacker? Supremacy sounds nice with 1000+ lifesteal and the class feature to render you immune for 5 seconds for a Conqueror swordmaster.
  • wreckedmwreckedm Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anyone care to recommend a primarily PvE tank/buff spec that is also passable for occasional PvP? I've been away from game for a year (leveled GF to 60 at launch) and I'm having a hard time parsing the debate mod-4 has stirred-up. I really don't want to blow my free respec.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    wreckedm wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend a primarily PvE tank/buff spec that is also passable for occasional PvP? I've been away from game for a year (leveled GF to 60 at launch) and I'm having a hard time parsing the debate mod-4 has stirred-up. I really don't want to blow my free respec.

I run a Tactician with 10 points in Protector.

http://nwcalc.com/gf?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,1li353i:100000:15u000:1zu501&h=1&p=ivn

I'm Human, so I get 3 extra feat points, so 3/5 Action Surge, 3/3 Pin Down and 3/3 Weapon Mastery for me.

PVE powers in a party are:

At-wills: Cleave and Threatening Rush.
    Encounters: Knight's Valor, Enforced Threat, Into the Fray
    Passives: Guarded Assault and Shield Talent
    Dailies: Supremacy of Steel and Fighter's Recovery

I advocate Iron Vanguard because of Threatening Rush. There is a Tactician feat that lowers damage against your party when targets have been marked, so you can spam marks with it. It also offers superior mobility.

This build thrives on being hit as taking damage generates AP for you and your team. I can double-stack dailies with it. Watch out for spike damage when KV is on and your whole party takes a big hit. Playing with KV will take some getting used to as you cannot be reckless and stupid/over-eager teammates will get you hurt.

Your gear should focus on pure survival if you want to be a buff tank. DR around 48 - 50% (~4000 defence) with Life Steal and Regen at 10% is where you want to be. Try for a minimum of 2500 recovery, but 3k won't hurt here. Aim for as much HP as you can. I'm around 38k, but I could do with some more.

Build works in PVP as well. You don't hit as hard as a Conqueror, but dailies come up fast (you are gonna need Villain's Menace with all the CWs around nowadays) with it and the GF's single target DPS is impressive, regardless of path.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited September 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Supremacy sounds nice with 1000+ lifesteal and the class feature to render you immune for 5 seconds for a Conqueror swordmaster.

Supremacy and Enforced Threat are loltastic with 10% Life Steal in a mob. I ran SP without a CW or DC. Sat in the middle of the platform and just Supremacy and Enforced away. Occasional blocks when I could see the frog AOEs. Screen was littered with green, yellow and orange numbers. Human Singularity for the win.

I want to try a Lifedrinker with this.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited September 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Guarded Assault does.

I run KV, ET and ITF now and in a VT run I finished with 4 million damage. No DC, no CWs (I was the Singularity), KV on at all times and I used about 8 pots, 6 of which were used against Valindra. 10% Life Steal plus ET's AOE effect is an impressive self-healing tool.