test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How much does the Dragonborn race cost?

ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
There has been some disagreement about how much the dragonborn race does cost, mainly because there are several different ways to calculate the cost.

One way, which I also subscribe to, is to take the minimum amount of money you need to spend to get the race which is $70
The other way is to say that, because dragonborn are only part of the pack they only make up a part of the price.

Which way do you think is the correct way to determine the cost of dragonborn and if it is the second one, how much do you think the race alone costs?
Post edited by ixalmaris on

Comments

• sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I personally think they were free and i paid for everything else in the pack, I bought the pack for the bags and artifacts redeemable on every char makes it worth it, the race was just an added bonus. Sure i made a dragonborn but he is still lvl 1 and will stay that way probably for awhile.
  • laks0nlaks0n Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All that stuff that is in the pack... Just a 30 size bag on one character makes that race cost 0$ if you have more than 6 chars. 5 even, because that is the first 30 size bag, and a 24 sizer costs 10$. And that's not counting the rest.

But the 2nd way is correct. They are marketed as the main part of the pack, but still they are part of the pack.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well the moderators always mention that you don't pay $70 for the race but that completely negates the points people make, and that you can't get it unless you pay the $70 where the focus is on the race. If you calculate it from the 2nd way then it's a very personal way of calculating it and depends on how much value and use you get out of the contents. People end up trying to justify the costs though to make it sound more like a deal to make themselves feel better about giving in to buying it for items they do want.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    I personally think they were free and i paid for everything else in the pack, I bought the pack for the bags and artifacts redeemable on every char makes it worth it, the race was just an added bonus. Sure i made a dragonborn but he is still lvl 1 and will stay that way probably for awhile.

This exactly. I have the pack and have zero interest in playing or making a lizard
  • bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This exactly. I have the pack and have zero interest in playing or making a lizard

For me the race is nice, but the major draws were the bag and Artifact.

With the bag being account wide it really suits people like myself who play characters of every class. The pack will (probably) only gain in value as Cryptic will (probably) add more classes to the game in future modules - personally I'm hoping for a Divine themed module with Paladin or more Combat-oriented Clericsas well as a a playable Deva race, however I wouldn't expect that for Module 5.The Artifact also makes it easier for me to level any future characters to 60, thus removing some of that part of the grind.

Whilst I did make my Warlock a Dragonborn, thus was partly due to the fact that the race was new and I would have probably been making a Human otherwise since he's a Temptation Warlock. I have no intention of converting any of my existing characters to be a Dragonborn (or any other race for that matter) since I spent a lot of time when creating them and I've grown very attached to them since the open beta started and so whilst I probably won't use much else from the pack, it's nice to have the stuff there should I want to use them.
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I got the pack because of all the other account-wide goodies. The race was a bonus, as I only ever plan on having one dragonborn (not my favorite race, by far...), that I already have now, at level 60, thanks to the character race change token.

The bottom line however is that no one is paying for anything physical or even digital. What we are paying is access to the game's services. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You cannot get the race without spending 75 dollars. Therefore it costs $75.

Edit: people claiming the race is free because they bought the pack for the goodies, aren't actually buying the race. For anyone looking to buy the dragonborn race, it will cost them $75 whether they want the goodies or not.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    You cannot get the race without spending 75 dollars. Therefore it costs $75.

Not entirely true. You can buy it with Zen, meaning, you can get the Dragonborn race for 'free' if you have enough AD and are willing to wait for the exchange to go through. It takes about one day per million zen in the backlog, so at 11.5 million, it'll take about 11-12 days.

Because you can buy it with Zen, you can technically get it for free, or pay any amount up to 75 dollars.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love the idea of playing a scaled or furred race. Basically a beast race. I always play them in any RPG that offers the option. Therefore dragonborn fit and I will be making my main into one once I buy the pack next month. The extra character slot, 30 slot bag per character, and epic artifact per character is also a HUGE bonus to me. I say this is definitely worth $75 to me. I have just been short on funds hence why I haven't bought it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I see it as the Dragonborn race costs $75. (Or $75 worth of AD.) Not sure how people see it any other way. Yes there are other things in the pack (some very nice things). But even if you only want Dragonborn race you still gotta pay the same $75.

When/If they add an option to buy the race by itself my opinion will change. But for now, that is what you must pay to play a Dragonborn, so that is how much the race costs.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just maybe. If Cryptic sold the race by itself, away from the goodies? They would have a point, that the race does not cost 75 dollars.
    But there is not an option for that.

I would love to use this tatic in real life, "I have some magic beans. With a bunch of other stuff, for 75 dollars. The magic beans do not cost 75 dollars. But they only way to get them? Is to buy the other stuff too, that costs 75 dollars. But I repeat again the magic beans do not cost 75 dollars. Sorry for the confusion."
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Since you can't buy the race separate from the rest of the pack then yes it does cost $75. Not sure how that can be argued. The bag is also $75. And the artifact. You (presently) can't get those items individually without springing $75 for the whole thing so you can't claim one thing didn't cost you anything rather it was the rest of the stuff that did. It's all tied together! Although I suppose it's a plausible rationalization as to why someone purchased the pack since each person values different things.

Having said that I did end up getting it but it was a pretty tough decision and I didn't purchase it until the last minute. Not that it matters I guess since they extended the sale price and maybe made it the regular price now? If not they should at least give an indication of a new date for the discounted price on the page. It still says "The Dragonborn Legend Pack is discounted for a limited time only! The discount will end on August 14, 2014 at 7 AM PDT" which obviously wasn't the case.

Regardless, the main motivator for me was the bag being claimable for every character on that account since I have a level 60 character of every class now. I started a Dragonborn SW character up and got to level 60 by the Sunday after release, so 3-4 days of play basically, and it was nice starting with a 30 slot bag. If I only played 1-2 characters I definitely wouldn't have purchased it since the value wouldn't have been there for me.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    Since you can't buy the race separate from the rest of the pack then yes it does cost $75. Not sure how that can be argued.
    You can buy it for Zen as well, meaning it could be "free" if one wanted to and had the AD and time.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    You can buy it for Zen as well, meaning it could be "free" if one wanted to and had the AD and time.

It still costs $75, just someone else paid it for you.
  • xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only reason I bought the pack, to be completely honest. Was because I thought it was going off sale. I kind of wanted the goodies, and was very interested in the race -- but it was still 75 dollars.

I waited to the very last minute. Electing to pull the trigger, because I did not want to decide later I wanted the pack, and see the price at 100 dollars. I would have most likely passed on it and missed out on the "sale".

Not only do they keep the pack, the price of the sale, but the sale from the begining should have been 50 dollars. You offer something on "sale" and then after the sale, it is the same price.

It was a pretty dirty trick, to push product.

I have spent, a good deal on this game (Love the game itself), and my spending has to stop.
    Will not reward Cyrptic for this behavior. Along with, "The Dragonborn race is not 75 dollars."
    Cheap political speak.
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got the pack because of all the other account-wide goodies. The race was a bonus, as I only ever plan on having one dragonborn (not my favorite race, by far...), that I already have now, at level 60, thanks to the character race change token.

^^ This. I have 8 toons, so getting a 30 slots bag + artifact for them all as well as 1 character slot and other goodies is good enough for me. The race and the token come as a bonus. I really doubt I'll polymorph any of my characters, but in case I want to do it, the token will be useful.
  • harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »

This.

There is no way around the fact that $75 winds up being paid to PW as a result of someone deciding to acquire a Dragonborn race option. Period.

That I paid $500 (for example) for my wife's iPad instead of her in no way changes the fact that $500 was spent in the process of acquiring it. If I put $75 worth of Zen into the AD exchange and someone else uses it to buy the Dragonborn pack then $75 has been paid for that pack.

The Dragonborn race costs $75. Until it is sold unbundled from the pack at a lower price point, saying otherwise is just (failed) semantics, no matter who says it.
    edited August 2014
    harkur wrote: »
    There is no way around the fact that $75 winds up being paid to PW as a result of someone deciding to acquire a Dragonborn race option. Period.

That I paid $500 (for example) for my wife's iPad instead of her in no way changes the fact that $500 was spent in the process of acquiring it. If I put $75 worth of Zen into the AD exchange and someone else uses it to buy the Dragonborn pack then $75 has been paid for that pack.

The Dragonborn race costs $75. Until it is sold unbundled from the pack at a lower price point, saying otherwise is just (failed) semantics, no matter who says it.

That can be said for any items in the pack, it all depends on what you bought the pack for... for example if there were two packs one that contained only the race and one contained all the other items in the pack which would you have bought. Personally i wouldn't have bought the pack with the race as i don't really have any aspirations to play a lizard, but it differs depending on your preference. Is a race worth $75 - no, is a 30 slot bag on ever char ($10/char) and artifact on ever char ($35/char based on book of thayan dead sale) worth $75 yes. The race is worthless/priceless since you can't equate the cost unlike the other items that can be equated to something that already has a cost associated with it. In the end it comes down to what you wanted out of the pack and that is what you paid for, if you only have say one foot (left) and you only need one shoe you can't you have to buy the pair so the guy with one left foot bought both shoes for the left where as a person with only a right foot buys the shoes for the right one.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's all up to you and if you think the combo is worth the cost. Just be warned - some parts of the pack are better designed than others:

http://imgur.com/a/NYaGK

That's a female Dragonborn Control Wizard in one of the included in the pack fashion outfits standing still.
    edited August 2014
    it all depends on what you bought the pack for

You could have stopped right there. What is the title question of the thread again? Oh yes; "How Much Does the Dragonborn Race Cost?"

It costs $75.

If I want to play as a Dragonborn it costs $75.

Some people are paying $75 for an item pack to buy 30 slot bags and an artifact, a pack that happens to come with a Dragonborn option.

Some people are paying $75 to to unlock Dragonborn and they happen to get some other things along with it.

Neither of those things changes the answer to the question; playing Dragonborn costs $75.
    edited August 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    It's all up to you and if you think the combo is worth the cost. Just be warned - some parts of the pack are better designed than others:

http://imgur.com/a/NYaGK

That's a female Dragonborn Control Wizard in one of the included in the pack fashion outfits standing still.
    That is the game in whole just not the pack, i could show plenty of pictures of the Tiefling tail going in and out of pants going through the mount, clipping is everywhere in this game if you played enough races/chars you would know that it is not secluded to the dragonborn. Your warning should read "some parts of the GAME are better designed than others" not pack.
    edited August 2014
    harkur wrote: »
    You could have stopped right there. What is the title question of the thread again? Oh yes; "How Much Does the Dragonborn Race Cost?"

It costs $75.

To you maybe for me its free, but alas you won't get it. Enough has been said on this topic though good luck with it.
    edited August 2014
    To you maybe for me its free, but alas you won't get it. Enough has been said on this topic though good luck with it.

Let's not confuse refusing to play semantics with being stupid, shall we? You can make this personal if you want, surfer dude...and I'm totally ok with that if it's where you want to take this.
    edited August 2014
    Which makes it no less "free" for the one buying it with in-game earned AD.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This. Free players can not get a dragonborn without someone, somewhere, spending $75 on zen that they trade for AD on the zax.

The cost of the account 30 slot bag is also $75. As is the account artifact. The reason is they are not sold separately. If you only care about the fashion item? $75. Everything else in the pack is a toss in package deal that comes with whichever particular item(s) you are willing to pay $75 for.

See game systems at launch where they force you to buy bundles to get the system. Those games may be worthless to you, but you have no other choice. It doesnt matter that the system price is theoretically $ x, because there is no way to buy it for $ x.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    edited August 2014
    Which makes it no less "free" for the one buying it with in-game earned AD.

But it also doesn't change that getting the dragonborn costs $75.

Ask yourself, when someone who does not play the game asks you how dragonborns cost, what do you answer him? That they are free or that they cost $75?
    edited August 2014

Ask yourself, when someone who does not play the game asks you how dragonborns cost, what do you answer him? That they are free or that they cost $75?
    As I recently told a friend whome I've been trying to get to play this, "The Dragonborn Legend pack costs $75.00. However, if you play the game long enough and save up enough Astral Diamonds, which are earned in plenty in game, you can sell your AD to buy it, and many more Cash Shop Items, without ever spending any real life money." Their reply, "That's really cool." We then went on to discuss how other F2P MMOs need to do this too and is the reason he's never gotten into MMOs, because they're either expensive to start and charge monthly, or they nickle-and-dime you to be able to experience the game to its fullest.
    edited August 2014
    As I recently told a friend whome I've been trying to get to play this, "The Dragonborn Legend pack costs $75.00. However, if you play the game long enough and save up enough Astral Diamonds, which are earned in plenty in game, you can sell your AD to buy it, and many more Cash Shop Items, without ever spending any real life money." Their reply, "That's really cool."

So you said it yourself, it (meaning the dragonborn) costs $75.00
    edited August 2014
    So you said it yourself, it (meaning the dragonborn) costs $75.00
    Out of context, yes.
    edited August 2014

It's wordplay, ixalmaris, pure and simple. You know, zebular knows, we all know, that the answer to the thread's title is "It costs $75 to play the Dragonborn race".

A new player, or a player not sitting on millions of AD and willing to wait two weeks, is going to have to pay $75 themselves. The AD/Zen converter who get the pack that way has someone else paying their $75 for them. I'm going to refrain from spending too much time on telling a prospective player that AD are earned in plenty when we are talking about 3,750,000 AD being accumulated just for this buy...with no other AD spending at all...being a little disingenuous. But think for a minute about that. Starting at day one, without being a dedicated AH player, how long would it be before you had a spare 4 mil AD?

No matter what verbal gymnastics are employed, the question only has one answer; it costs $75 to play a Dragonborn. The only variable, and the one being used the most often in this discussion, is who pays PW that $75.
This discussion has been closed.