test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the rationale behind deleting all Fireblossom Petals prior to the summer fest?

twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The currently running summer festival event is a re-hash of the same event as it ran last summer, with some slight changes. The currency used in the event this year remains the same as it was last year, namely Fireblossom Petals.
However, with the release of mod 4, all fireblossom petals were deleted out of player inventories, without any mention of it in patch notes or elsewhere. Many players who participated last year might not have had alot of petals accumulated but there are certainly those who did. Personally I had around 15000 petals that I spent way too many hours farming, only to not be able to spend before the event ended due to unforseen circumstances. I knew however I'd be able to spend them if the event ever returned.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the reason the petals were deleted at all but I have to admit I do not understand. If the item deleted no longer has any use because that specific event will never return then fine, clear out some inventory space but when it's going to be used again, and especially within such a short timeframe, the only possible outcome of removing them would be to alienate players who see their invested time was all in vain.
If there'd been a sensible explanation I'd have been all ears, but this just seems like an arbitrary decision made knowing that too many players wouldn't fuss about it. If that's the kind of attitude that goes around Cryptic HQ it'll be interesting to see what items get deleted out of the blue next time.
Post edited by twitticles on

Comments

• wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With the exception of the daily tokens, I think it's unfair that any other tokens requiring effort to obtain are deleted.

Last year's tokens requires time and effort to grind for just as this year's. If anything, allowing them to rollover lessens long term players feeling of burn outs from the events and they can pace themselves in the following year such as setting goals to obtain a number of rewards each year without having to go through as much trouble as the initial year. Much like the CTA medallions do.
  • meishackmeishack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can not even express the emotional impact!!!! Mean is the first word that comes to mind.
    I spend a lot of time playing this game... most of the time it is a lot of fun... I Do spend real money and I have recommended to a lot of people the value of spending the money to get the unicorn package, and believe me I am a really good salesperson...
    Let me explain... last year I spent two weeks playing the summer festival event I wanted the blue ribbon pig on all my characters and got that. I spent a ton more time on one of my characters so I could get the pig companion.. I was short 200 petals of getting it last year because I missed calculated the time zone piece. I was mad at myself for that, it was my mistake. Throughout the year I kept seeing the petals in my inventory and got a little excited, thinking that though I had to wait a year for the event to come back there's still a chance that all that hard work was not a complete waste. As we got closer to the end of summer I still saw them in my inventory and became even more excited.. When the event came back today. I log on to see how many petals I had on one of my toons and they were gone. I thought maybe they are on another toon. So I logged on. Gone!!! So then I logged on to another. Gone!!! What a tease!! Mean!!! They are there till the event starts and they are gone.. It would have been easier to handle if they were gone the day the event was over last year rather than leave them in the inventory a whole year and delete them the week the event re spawned. I don't know if there is anything you can do but I just wanted to let you know how felt.. If I miss calculate and its my fault, just let them be gone that week some time.. Its mean to give false hope that we have a chance to redeem them in the future, and then the week of take them away!
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I could care less either way. If they saved up the previous tokens, good. It rewards old players. Those tokens don't give a game-breaking advantage anyways.

If they decided to reset due to technical or design reasons, that's fine as well. Put everyone on equal footing. Make it seem more fresh to other players especially the new ones.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wow. Incredibly lame. I specifically put those in the bank so I would have them for this and/or future years, and ALL my grinding of last years event they just deleted and threw out?!?

So, those of us who "casually" play and don't login every day for a few hours to grind up enough to buy some of the higher priced items are s.o.l.

Nice. If I don't find fireblossom petals in my bank I'm going to file a service ticket that my bank was robbed of items I legitimately earned.

Theft is theft. Virtual or otherwise.

Pissed at pooooooor decision making - yet again.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They deleted them because they want you to grind again for new items, not use what you already had, buy stuff early and sell it for mass ad and then turn around with that and control the market. I'm shocked that our event currencies aren't wiped more often for cta's etc.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, one of my characters had like 1500 left over from last year, and another had about 700.

It's this kind of petty, anti-consumer BS that's had me not bother to log in for over a week except to check the preview patch to see if they'd fixed the TR animations, saw they hadn't, and immediately logged back out.

Shape up, Cryptic. Stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over your customers. Stuff like this with not notice, justification, or rationale just makes me angry at the game.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • eucatastrofeeucatastrofe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I noticed the pettels were gone the day mod 4 cam out. I was looking for something else on the char that was holding the pettels.
    Three slots were empty 2 slots with a stack of 5000 and the other one i am not sure how many were in there.
    I contacted support and they told me they were sorry for the inconvenience. And that the items were deleted automaticly.

Aperrently being sorry for the inconvenience doesnt mean they will do there best to get you the items back that a sythem deleted.
    It means, i gues i have to say it nice, that they are not going to do anything and you just need to swallow your loss.

And yes a week later the event is back and i have none off my currency to spend anymore becourse it got deleted.
    Someone here said it was mean to take the carrot away just a bit before you could get it. I agree, it is very sneeky.
    Another says it does not give a game breaking advantage? Well, i know i could have bought some nice items for the amount that i lost. Keep the items or sell them. Do you think 10.000 zen will give you a game breaking advantage? It will sure not bring you to the top. But that does not mean i would like to loose it. Not saying these pettels were worth that mutch.

And why? a week before the event is back? If there was something wrong with it fix it! And if the items were not in the event anymore fine. But delete the items, the currency that alows you to buy good stuff? And yes i also wonder what else they are going to delete.
    What ever they were thinking i dont know. But this is for sure not the way to make me spend more money on this game. If anything it will make me spend nothing. And that is about the only thing a customer can do.
    edited August 2014
    I noticed the pettels were gone the day mod 4 cam out. I was looking for something else on the char that was holding the pettels.
    Three slots were empty 2 slots with a stack of 5000 and the other one i am not sure how many were in there.
    I contacted support and they told me they were sorry for the inconvenience. And that the items were deleted automaticly.

Aperrently being sorry for the inconvenience doesnt mean they will do there best to get you the items back that a sythem deleted.
    It means, i gues i have to say it nice, that they are not going to do anything and you just need to swallow your loss.

And yes a week later the event is back and i have none off my currency to spend anymore becourse it got deleted.
    Someone here said it was mean to take the carrot away just a bit before you could get it. I agree, it is very sneeky.
    Another says it does not give a game breaking advantage? Well, i know i could have bought some nice items for the amount that i lost. Keep the items or sell them. Do you think 10.000 zen will give you a game breaking advantage? It will sure not bring you to the top. But that does not mean i would like to loose it. Not saying these pettels were worth that mutch.

And why? a week before the event is back? If there was something wrong with it fix it! And if the items were not in the event anymore fine. But delete the items, the currency that alows you to buy good stuff? And yes i also wonder what else they are going to delete.
    What ever they were thinking i dont know. But this is for sure not the way to make me spend more money on this game. If anything it will make me spend nothing. And that is about the only thing a customer can do.

Not the only thing a customer can do.

Step 1: Service Ticket - if that doesn't get my virtual currency back...
    Step 2: Complaint to the Better Business Bureau
    Step 3: Investigate laws regarding theft of virtual items/currency. They would certainly prosecute anyone stealing AD or items in their game, seems like you can't have both, if virtual items have value, then live by the sword, die by sword.

I'm filing step 1 now.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm pretty worried about the X-mas event, now.

I ended up with 940 of those Lights of Simiril because I couldn't manage to finish grinding out the Fawn. I took solace in the fact that it was coming around the next year. If those all get deleted, I'm going to be quite pissed.
  • stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually, they even went a step farther...

I just realized that my Hero's feast (the special portable altar) and my Grand Summer's feasts (the nice every summer food combined buff) are now Buond to Char. They were both unbound previously.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • draogndraogn Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The tokens also have a timer on them now, I'm guessing this change is so they can try to sell more keys. So people open gamble boxes for more bars.
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    The tokens also have a timer on them now, I'm guessing this change is so they can try to sell more keys. So people open gamble boxes for more bars.

If the event items are now temporary the old ones obviously had to disappear, being well over 45 days old. Irritating if you had ones from last year but only logical. I just had to get rid of a few hundred assorted tokens to even make space for the new ones. Asset inventory urgently needs some love. Like more spce and bigger stack size.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nevawinna wrote: »
    Asset inventory urgently needs some love.

Amen to this , I am down to two spaces in my asset bag ,it is getting ridiculous now.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    BOOOOOOO!

Didn't have enough to buy what I wanted last year, figured I'd add this years to last years and... BUT NOOOOOO! I guess there's no point in playing since whatever I get this year won't last until next year.

To reward you for your customer "service", next months Zen purchase will be exactly ZERO.

Signed,
    A very unhappy customer

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I usually don't have enough time to grind for all the special events rewards I want on all my toons. But I still grind expecting the progress to be applied towards the next time the event comes around. Now I guess there is no point doing the event if I don't expect to have enough time to get the rewards by the end of the event.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    BOOOOOOO!

Didn't have enough to buy what I wanted last year, figured I'd add this years to last years and... BUT NOOOOOO! I guess there's no point in playing since whatever I get this year won't last until next year.

To reward you for your customer "service", next months Zen purchase will be exactly ZERO.

Signed,
    A very unhappy customer

I spent all my summer festival stuff last year, but I am in this situation regarding the winter festival - due to my Christmas/new year vacation, I only got to play that for a few days - not enough daily tokens to get any of the stuff I wanted - I was planning to finish thisa year later, but if all my tokens get deleted I will be pretty annoyed....and there is a limit to how many annoying things I can take before the game stops being fun for me.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I sold my festival stuff last week. I'm sure my buyers are pleased.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • buliloli0107buliloli0107 Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2014
    Higher lvl Problems....YEs this event is very friendly to new players... BUt some 1 like me whose played Summer event for 2nd time a row thought i can harvest some consumable buffs. I have 99 Feast pigs on my alt for storage purposes and 40 heroic tables set on my main... Some cepress squash and sorbet ready to refine and sadly they ae now bound on pick up.... Ialready have a bound zen mount and osmehow it wll be a pain to store this bound event fooods... I use event foods on big bosses runs and not use them when im doing justdailies... BEingbound to acnt makes me not tosave them when need...

NOte i have 5 BAgs and still it aint enough to keep up with ENchants and Gears... NOw i have to wory about Bound foods...
    Solution sell the foods and not participate on events... this is sad..

Another things is continually SEals space is problem now wer running different maps to farm dragons plus some events need seal space... Ithink its about time we increase seal space or stack it to 2000 prolly...

I know i have lost those 999 pig feast already and those cypress/sorpet/squash soup..ITs a minor thing.. BUt if u want veteran players to stick around and play buy stuff keep events also that make us happy continually playing this game... Food for thought.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anyone found out what happened to any such items placed in the shared/guild banks or the mail?

Not that players should have to resort to such workarounds, but might be worth remembering for other events.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What should happen, since they already decided to take our tokens,
    is the the Winter Festival (and other) seasonal items should be taken NOW.
    So no surprises and anger each time, and we have room in our inventory.

If they decide based on today to let us keep things, they need to
    expand our inventory slots. Mine is FULL of CTA things and magic
    seeds, sword blades, etc. I have Zero use for the Fae items now.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    What are you talking about? What stuff is BoA/BoP? Only currencies are for me and they doesn't matter. The food is for me free sending stuff. o.O
    Okay, hero + pigmeal is BoP. o.o
  • firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited August 2014
    the ultimate goal of any decision cryptic makes is money. i wouldnt be surprised if all future special event items/currencies get deleted. say goodbye to yur tokens, gifts of tymora, ect. hell, they could even attack yur tarmalune bars, giving it a timed duration to use. i didnt want to participate in summer festival neways. once you realize the rewards for wasting yur time is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you'll fair better. plus, what's not going to stop cryptic from changing every event into a cash cow, like how they did with the Gond event. that's the future of reality.

Actually, in Cryptic's defense, they didn't get to be this bad until PWE took over.

Just saying. CO's an amazing game, and doesn't actually force your hand to buy stuff. There are lockboxes, but they don't offer nearly the same kind of stuff Neverwinter lockboxes do.

This game was released when PWE took over, and you can really see the difference when you compare the two stores. I personally think Cryptic isn't to blame.

This, however, is a very low blow to people who spent the time and energy to farm tokens for the following events. This yanks the carpet out of people who don't have the time to farm the tokens, the people who DESERVE the items but have to work each season to get them rather than some people who can get it all in two weeks. This is reprehensible, and knowing that this had occurred had stripped away my urge to play this game.

Uninstalling today.
    edited August 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Not the only thing a customer can do.

Step 1: Service Ticket - if that doesn't get my virtual currency back...
    Step 2: Complaint to the Better Business Bureau
    Step 3: Investigate laws regarding theft of virtual items/currency. They would certainly prosecute anyone stealing AD or items in their game, seems like you can't have both, if virtual items have value, then live by the sword, die by sword.

I'm filing step 1 now.

Well, apparently PWE has the power to steal virtual currency from an account, but not the power to return it.

Step 2&3...on deck.
  • landoras1975landoras1975 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can someone confirm this will happen for all future events?
    I would hate to aquire all event items again i.e fishing rod.
  • kiteareskiteares Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    On the one hand you have shed loads of stuff in your currency bag that you cannot discard...it's my bag, my stuff and I understand not being able to sell it but why the hell can't I discard it?
    On the other hand you have PWE/Cryptic (since PWE took Cryptic over they are the same entity and equally to blame) able to remove items from your currency bag on a whim - we may as well forget about the Xmas stuff (happy holidays to everyone in advance), but what of other stuff? I have a whole bunch of Fae and Drake Seals that I'll eventually get round to shifting when my RaD drops off.

Talking of RaD - are PWE/Cryptic at liberty to remove AD and other items from our currency bag? I guess they are, I'm sure they have something about it in the ToS. But then how would they stand on a legal point of view if people have bought Zen with hard earned real money and bought AD with it? Apart from that I think there would be a mass drop off in players if they did that...but event currency is ok, because who is going to carry stuff around for a year (notice a year, not 46 days)?

Then there's the binding of items, yes I understand trying to keep them off the AH, but how many of us use alts as mules? The hero's feast is a great buff for a team, but there's not chance of sending a couple to the toon you're about to delve with now.

3 Things would be nice to hear from PWE:
    The rationale behind deleting event currency (and even though there was a section specific to currency in the patch notes, there was no mention of the petals or other event currency)
    The rationale behind having items we cannot discard ourselves
    The rationale behind not having more (maybe all) bound items Bound to Account rather than Character.

Communication is a wonderful thing, even giving bad news is a good thing because believe it or not, people don't always like surprises.
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How can one truly enjoy the grind if one cannot embrace the grind. To fully embrace the grind one must reset the progress. For, without the need for progress, there can be no grind.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    well, any of you noticed that respen's dice are gone too? (it happened a while ago tho)
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The intention must be to make it clear that the game is not meant to be casual-friendly - that is, players that cannot do enough collecting one year, but hope to complete it a year later, are simply not wanted.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    EULA

1.4. You understand and agree that Perfect World may update, enhance or otherwise modify in any manner the Game software and/or the Service at any time without notice.

Nothing is safe!
  • kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    this game is like the goverment,they take the stuff that you work hard for away
    and there is nothing you can do about it,and they dont xplain