test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the 30-slot bag from the Dragonborn Legend Pack per CHARACTER?

Comments

• praxismirrorspraxismirrors Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    heyrogers wrote: »
    To clarify - the 30 slot bag was originally going to be once per account (so you could only get it on one character). We did not really have a good reason for keeping it like that, so we upgraded it to be one for every character on your account.

I would think that advertising this change a bit better would cause you to sell more of these packs
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sure. If I haven't bought the Feywild pack and were in need of lots of bags I might think differently.

And since we're talking about virtual goods, they don't have a real value. Only a perceived value. And comparing the value of this pack to other offerings I can only say that it is overpriced. If they'd add a cool epic mount and epic companion... well, I'd likely change my mind. Or if they'd lowered the price to about 50€... well, I wouldn't mind spending 50€ per module if the offerings would appeal to me.

This is of course my personal, highly subjective feeling.
    Different people. I think a mount would be worthless, as I already have a 110% mount, and companions well unless it was an augment, most of them are tailored to build now, so it would only likely be good for a couple characters.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Different people. I think a mount would be worthless, as I already have a 110% mount, and companions well unless it was an augment, most of them are tailored to build now, so it would only likely be good for a couple characters.

The easy way to resolve that is to sell the things in the pack seperatly. But then Cryptic can't hide the fact any more that they want $70 for a race.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    The easy way to resolve that is to sell the things in the pack seperatly. But then Cryptic can't hide the fact any more that they want $70 for a race.

I gave in and bought this pack as I have lots of hoarder alts with far too little bag-space. However I would be happy if at some stage Cryptic sold a Dragonborn racial unlock in their ZEN store.

Sadly I get the impression that a lot of the people who have bought the current pack will come out against this for idea purely for ego reasons. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this point of course.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I gave in and bought this pack as I have lots of hoarder alts with far too little bag-space. However I would be happy if at some stage Cryptic sold a Dragonborn racial unlock in their ZEN store.

Sadly I get the impression that a lot of the people who have bought the current pack will come out against this for idea purely for ego reasons. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this point of course.

Unfortunately people are selfish like that. If I do go for the pack I'd be kind of gutted that we weren't informed it will be free or some to the zen store, but I'd also understand that it's for the better.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A couple things:

ANY "Free-to-play" versus "paying customer" debate has no place anywhere on these forums. It should never ever be about that. There are a lot of reasons people play without ever spending any real money on this game, some are financial and some are 'moral' and in many cases a mixture of both - in any case, it does not matter. The fact is this system that Cryptic uses (zero gated content, with "content" being anything directly experienced and required in the leveling process) is what makes Cryptic games (all of them) so damned awesome.

This is an absolute WIN for everyone, especially those who simply cannot participate in this awesome game except for it being 100% free to them.

Secondly, it is because of the so-called "wales" who tend to have "more money than sense" (but only in feeble childish little minds) that people can play 100% for free. So the sarcasm and vindictive attitudes toward those who DO choose to purchase these things is incredibly ridiculous and adolescent thinking at best. There is simply no other way to describe it.

As for the Artifact starting out at the Legendary level and other requests like these: you ask for an inch, they give it, and you try to take mile. First of all doing such would throw the entire game completely off-balance as everyone having purchased this pack would then have a crazy unfair advantage (and it creates the so-called "pay-to-win" scenario, which Cryptic has always been dead-set against - thank you for that.) In which case your choice would be one Legendary Artifact PER ACCOUNT, full stop. As it is right now - it's one per character. Look at the bright side: there is a reason to buy Astral Diamonds again!

Kudos to the game studio for turning the once-off Dragon's Horde bag into a one-per-character. it really does add value. Sure: I'll beg that the Bahamut Regalia also be a one-per-character, too - but I'm not going to push it.

People purchasing this pack are doing so because it meets THEIR definition of value. People who are not purchasing are not because it's currently unaffordable to them or they simply choose not to do so.

There is no reason for people to take sides in this. I am a whale. I have a lot more money than I do sense (someone else's words that I shall now take to heart with pride). Because of my "frivolous money-throwing" if a lot of people get to play for 100% free then THAT'S AWESOME. At the same time I do NOT consider myself better than they or 'above' them in anyway and I most certainly deserve no more attention or privileged from Cryptic than any of them.

We are all in this together: having fun with an awesome game that takes a lot of seriously talented people a lot of really hard work and time to create for all of us.
  • wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    too bad the pack is still too expensive
    edited August 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    The thing is that the ones paying the bills and wages are also supporting all of the flaws in the game. There is a lot of flaws that have been included in the last half year or so. So he does have a point in saying that them experimenting on what is the most they can get away with charging us could affect the lot of us in the long run. I don't want the ones that spend thousands on a game to be the norm for top end play after all.

Pretty much sums it up I think.

As the Dragonborn pack alterations show, sufficient customer pressure will cause Cryptic to make changes. Now I did buy the pack, because for someone like me with many alts the convenience of a 30-slot bag and a level 60 artifact on every one makes it worthwhile.

But at the same time I am very, very wary that if the pack sells too well, this may be taken the wrong way by Cryptic, and wrongly convince them that they do not need to worry about dealing with the glaring bugs and rampant exploits that were starkly illustrated by recent (and not so recent) events. And that would be very, very bad for the long and maybe even medium or short-term future of the game.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    But at the same time I am very, very wary that if the pack sells too well, this may end up convincing Cryptic that it does not need to prioritize fixing the glaring bugs and rampant exploits that were starkly illustrated by recent (and not so recent) events. And that would be very, very bad for the long and maybe even medium or short-term future of the game.

And yet you bought the pack. There is no middle ground in this.
    edited August 2014

There is a middle ground in almost everything in life actually. Unadulterated idealism is nice in principle, but pragmatism usually works out better in practice.

In this case, I only bought the pack after Cryptic bowed to the almost totally negative response from the forums and changed the bags one per character and the artifacts to level 60. For me this makes it a deal that is too good to pass up.

However, given Cryptic's astonishingly slow response to fixing bugs such as the stuck DD chests and their utter inability to get a grip on the rampant exploiting, I have not spent any money on ZEN since Open Beta, excluding 1000 ZEN for the account-wide Ioun Stone of Radiance.

Moreover, if as is currently the case, Cryptic shows a unwillingness or inability to provide a decent product, I will make it clear that this will, in turn, have a very negative effect on my willingness to part with any more cash. So, yes, I like the (adjusted) pack, and am willing to buy it as it is a great deal for me, but unless Cryptic shows they are taking the issues with this game seriously, I will leave them in no doubt that it is the last purchase that I will make for this game, or indeed any other run by PWE.
  • traxsutraxsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited August 2014
    I think the flaw here is thinking, "I'm going to buy a game and only buy one expansion. EVER. In an entire year, I'm not going to contribute to that game ever again."

So I bought the Feywild, and I have the purple mount and the purple minion you're all complaining isn't in this pack when it first came out. It was an amazing investment, and I am still to this day satisfied with my purchase.

So... why would I invest in a pack which offered identical similar things, again? If this had say, dragonborn unlock, a purple mount and a purple minion would I have bought it? Probably not.
  • jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014

Yes. I bought it. I could. So I did. The games has bugs. Most software does.

Presumably, the DD chest bug will be fixed in Mod 4. People on the test server have reported that it's fixed. We'll all know shortly.

I'm going to try and take the long view on the game though. I'm going to be here for a while. I intend to play each class to 60. So, the bags alone make it worth the cost. I'm not worried about the race. I'm not worried about the artifact. I like 'account wide' access to things.

I bought it for the bag.

I picked up Feywild for the account wide mount.

I will be buying Guardian for the account wide dire wolf.

If, at some point in the future, they offer an account wide defender / healer companion, I'll be getting that ( both of them ) as well.

Not saying every character *needs* an epic defender / striker / leader / controller companion. But, it's nice to keep one's options open.

Maybe it's cheaper to buy a single purple xyz off the Zen market, for a single character. ( It is ). But, what if I make 50 characters? Will I? Almost certainly not. But if I did, account wide is the way to go.

And a scaling ring? Not nearly as nice as the bag, or the artifact, but it's a most welcome cherry on top of the cake that is Heart of the Dragon and Dragon's Hoard.

I'd like to see the Regalia sold as an account wide unlock. Charge whatever you like. There will be buyers. And you've already got the code in hand. No further dev needed, and easy income for those who'll make alts.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Maybe it's cheaper to buy a single purple xyz off the Zen market, for a single character. ( It is ). But, what if I make 50 characters? Will I? Almost certainly not. But if I did, account wide is the way to go.

I've got somewhere around 50 characters on one of their other games, Champions Online.
    And there are folks with WAY more than me.

I've got 8 up and running and at 60 right now ( I deleted two more that I just did not like at all ) and will be making two Warlocks (one DpS and one Soul Puppet ) for a soon-to-be total of 10. And I seriously doubt that I'm done there. I fully expect to have at least one character (most likely two or more) of every class.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited August 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    I've got somewhere around 50 characters on one of their other games, Champions Online.
    And there are folks with WAY more than me.

I've got 8 up and running and at 60 right now ( I deleted two more that I just did not like at all ) and will be making two Warlocks (one DpS and one Soul Puppet ) for a soon-to-be total of 10. And I seriously doubt that I'm done there. I fully expect to have at least one character (most likely two or more) of every class.
    Neverwinter has a limit of 50 characters per account iirc.
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Neverwinter has a limit of 50 characters per account iirc.

I hear it's 52 which would be 25 x2 paid slots plus your 2 free ones. I could be wrong though. It's more than enough.
  • sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited August 2014
    Sadly some of them seem to have fallen for it.

... But it's a 30 bag for all chars *squee*
    edited August 2014
    So... game has bugs.

There is a choice - if able, monetarily support the game for the non-bug-goodstuff, or - stop supporting the game because of the bugs. Which of these options do you suppose will actually help get the bugs fixed and keep the game as a going concern?

You decide.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At least they are hearing the cries of the community and thus making the pack better by adding 1 bag per char and having the artifact start at level 60, imho that makes it a deal worth the $75
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have spent way more then $75 just on the blue bags when they were $10 a pop so the bag alone makes this a great deal when I have 14 characters already at 60 and 4 more waiting to be made and played! Everything else is just bonus for me so can't wait to start my DB SW on the 14th!
    edited August 2014
    sugarlies wrote: »
    ... But it's a 30 bag for all chars *squee*

I'm a sucker :c. I probably wouldn't have got it if it wasn't both improved value wise (though could still be better) and it being on "sale". A friend called me an idiot for spending money since I know what cryptics like. So true ):
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    At least they are hearing the cries of the community and thus making the pack better by adding 1 bag per char and having the artifact start at level 60, imho that makes it a deal worth the $75

Yeah I was very against the original pack. I thought buying it was foolish to an extreme. The bags for all characters makes it worth it for certain types of players now. If you have 10+ characters it's probably worth it now. Under 10 characters I probably still wouldn't.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just ordered mine. 6 characters, (plus three empty slots). all of which can use the bag and the artifact - that makes the pack worth it for me. Previously the "value for money" was just too low, as was pretty clear from the player feedback.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited August 2014
    heyrogers wrote: »
    To clarify - the 30 slot bag was originally going to be once per account (so you could only get it on one character). We did not really have a good reason for keeping it like that, so we upgraded it to be one for every character on your account.

This change should make the pack really attractive for everyone with more than 7 chars (already preordered days ago, but now I feel that I get a really good deal). +1
  • nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited August 2014
    Still i dont understand why giving 30 slot bag to any character makes the Dragonborn pack worth of 75 usd/eur.
    All you need is 3x 24 slot bag to your main character, also bank/shared bank slots or just make guild bank on any of your side char, all is unbelievable cheap in the term of playing free (all purchasable via AD/ZEN Exchange instead of paying REAL money).

Well, i can imagine paying something like 30 usd for the pack, BUT with all the bugs around, clapped-out gwf in pvp, destroyed economy, then i dont see any reason to spend real money here. I will rather spend my free time to get in game resources to gear up my char. Made nearly 19k GS pvp geared gwf during last 7 months of free playing and trust me, i enjoyed it much.

Also the problem is, many items are character bound, for example artifacts, which cost millions of AD to get them into legendary status. And we are talking about 3 (possibly more cos of pvp/pve difference) artifacts atleast. So i must stick with my gwf forever and we all know that Half-Orc is the best race for gwf pve and Halfling is the best race for gwf pvp. Then buying Dragonborn race is pointless, because i cant start any new class because of extremly expensive artifacts making and also months of repetitive campaigns (which will take months to progress).

Cryptic, if you will make artifacts account bound (or just legendary version of artifacts - were expensive enough) + faster progress in campaigns, then any of your "real money only" packs will be more attractive.
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    for most of us that the bag tipped the scales in buying the pack for its simple. I dont want to spend an extra amount of time having to mule items back and forth in the mail to alternate characters with alternate guilds and shared bank slots. Sure it may be cheaper to do what you suggested but I especially dont want to have to bother with dealing in workarounds when i can just have more space period.
    edited August 2014
    Also the problem is, many items are character bound, for example artifacts, which cost millions of AD to get them into legendary status. And we are talking about 3 (possibly more cos of pvp/pve difference) artifacts atleast.

And in other threads people are frantically trying to conjure-up ideas and potential solutions begging Cryptic too intervene ine th Zen/Astral Diamond exchange because of all the backlog of AD Proffers. Have you even considered that your statement above is actually a good thing?

I have almost gobs of Zen sitting around because I have no interest is AD. However, when I get my new shiny, it being a BoP per character, I just might go ahead and start buying those AD again. Not everyone in this scenario will, but a lot of people sitting on their Zen Points will.

I am not saying this will be the cure-all. I am only saying that for every negative (such as your point above) there also is a positive for the exact same thing. But people just don't get it; they only see the world through rose-colored glasses from their own perspective and everything else is "wrong".

Okay, so be it then.
    edited August 2014
    And in other threads people are frantically trying to conjure-up ideas and potential solutions begging Cryptic too intervene ine th Zen/Astral Diamond exchange because of all the backlog of AD Proffers. Have you even considered that your statement above is actually a good thing?

I have almost gobs of Zen sitting around because I have no interest is AD. However, when I get my new shiny, it being a BoP per character, I just might go ahead and start buying those AD again. Not everyone in this scenario will, but a lot of people sitting on their Zen Points will.

I am not saying this will be the cure-all. I am only saying that for every negative (such as your point above) there also is a positive for the exact same thing. But people just don't get it; they only see the world through rose-colored glasses from their own perspective and everything else is "wrong".

Okay, so be it then.

In that case you could argue enchantments should be character bound. Like artifacts, those too need refining to work up to a high level and there'd be less twinking. It would however <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off a lot of players. Now I'm not saying they should be completely unbound, but I do think they either should be account bound or be able to make them account bound. Though part of the issue of them being bound has been somewhat sorted via the addition of a race change token. I no longer need to make another character and lose tonnes of progress just for different base stats or a different race of the same class. I did that once, though I don't regret it since I now have a pve and pvp gwf. Not that I really use my pve one when my cw is my main (due to demand).

Ad sinks shouldn't exist just for the sake of it in which case the only thing achieved is to annoy the players. It should have a palce, and imo too many things are bound.
  • jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014

Cryptic, if you will make artifacts account bound (or just legendary version of artifacts - were expensive enough) + faster progress in campaigns, then any of your "real money only" packs will be more attractive.

Your statement does not appear to be valid. That is, one part of your statement is invalidated by another part of your statement. Why would you spend "real money" on packs, when you're not willing to spend AD + time to level up artifacts on a second character?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Oh dear! I so want a 30 slot bag for all my many characters! Oh.. dear-o'dear.
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Oh dear! I so want a 30 slot bag for all my many characters! Oh.. dear-o'dear.

They should just give you guys the packs like this. You guys are volunteers and while I don't always agree with you guys, you do a lot. Kind of irritated they don't just give them to you.
This discussion has been closed.