test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

has anyone heard how long the probation period is going to last?

sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
It seems strange that I seem to be the only one posting on this...is anyone else affected?
“and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
Post edited by sonofraistlin on

Comments

• sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thanks magenubbie :)
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    It has been asked before. And closed because the "question is for support".
    Sorry. I know of nobody who got past their probation yet, and I haven't been put on it myself.
    I do remember Lew was going to ask Akro about it, but he couldn't guarantee and answer.
    That's all the info I can give you.

I said I'd ask, got busy with RL stuffs today, and forgot to ask :( I'll try again ASAP.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
    edited August 2014
    thanks lews :)
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The original notice of the "new security measures" that describes the "probation period" only stated "until funds are verified". So it's a bit ambiguous, but I suspect should't take more than a couple days unless it's an international issue. Though I agree there should be some kind a specific time period where it would be "up to 1 week" (or something) - a maximum wait. Yet still, it's unfortunate there were probably so many nefarious goings-on that the thorn in their side was just becoming too painful that they had to resort to this kind of thing.

It's one reason I like PayPal - it's pretty well vetted for this kind of thing (and darned convenient for me). I suspect other payment processors or credit card type transactions could take longer in this regard.
  • lycragirllycragirl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited August 2014
    The original notice of the "new security measures" that describes the "probation period" only stated "until funds are verified". So it's a bit ambiguous, but I suspect should't take more than a couple days unless it's an international issue. Though I agree there should be some kind a specific time period where it would be "up to 1 week" (or something) - a maximum wait. Yet still, it's unfortunate there were probably so many nefarious goings-on that the thorn in their side was just becoming too painful that they had to resort to this kind of thing.

It's one reason I like PayPal - it's pretty well vetted for this kind of thing (and darned convenient for me). I suspect other payment processors or credit card type transactions could take longer in this regard.

I use PayPal and have bought a regular amount of Zen each month for the last 3 months, since I started playing, but I was still put on probation....

I use my Zen for cash shop purchases for myself, so it's not an issue for me. I do wonder what their criteria for putting someone on probation is though.
    edited August 2014
    i have always used pay pal, and only paypal...it's now 7 DAYS, and i am STILL on probation...i've put in tickets, and all they do is refer me to the security update...nothing more :(
  • valkyriazavalkyriaza Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i have always used pay pal, and only paypal...it's now 7 DAYS, and i am STILL on probation...i've put in tickets, and all they do is refer me to the security update...nothing more :(

I also use PayPal to buy Zen (and not for the first time either) and was also put on probation. The customer support team and their copy-and-paste vague answers only make the matter worse.

Nothing concrete, but the error message makes you feel like a complete criminal. I still enjoy the game, but the lack of support and a lot of bugs are slowly eroding that enjoyment.

Cryptic should understand that lack of clear communication with their customers can and will affect their reputation.
    edited August 2014
    so your still on probation also? i ask because i find it strange that i'm the only one trying to figure out when it's going to end. I'm also confused, is this a once of thing, or will it happen every time i purchase zen, and will that purchase re-set the clock? :confused:
  • oldfaustoldfaust Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was given an ARC card with $<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dollars on it. I am hesitant to turn it to zen as I want to be able to buy myself a 110% horse and a companion (Thinking about an Ioun stone, but I also like other pets just because I like them) and some coalasent wards to make myself a armor and weapon enchant (have the shards so should be relatively easy, but cannot afford Colasant wards on AH and no luck on the coffer dropping one ever. It was my birthday present.

I guess I"ll just sit on the card until someone can assure me I can do these simple things without having my money tied up in something I cannot use.

Probably don't really understand it, but I have no official answer to go by, and thus I wait. It's just a game, I can always do other things and I believe I can get a refund on the card for cast somehow If I read the back right.

Just a small worry to me and I'd really like to know if things are at a pass where I will not be able to do it. That binds to account doesn't bother me, but I want to know I can spend the money and buy without waiting months for it to happen.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    oldfaust wrote: »
    I was given an ARC card with $<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dollars on it. I am hesitant to turn it to zen as I want to be able to buy myself a 110% horse and a companion (Thinking about an Ioun stone, but I also like other pets just because I like them) and some coalasent wards to make myself a armor and weapon enchant (have the shards so should be relatively easy, but cannot afford Colasant wards on AH and no luck on the coffer dropping one ever. It was my birthday present.

I guess I"ll just sit on the card until someone can assure me I can do these simple things without having my money tied up in something I cannot use.

Probably don't really understand it, but I have no official answer to go by, and thus I wait. It's just a game, I can always do other things and I believe I can get a refund on the card for cast somehow If I read the back right.

Just a small worry to me and I'd really like to know if things are at a pass where I will not be able to do it. That binds to account doesn't bother me, but I want to know I can spend the money and buy without waiting months for it to happen.
    You do realize that all it means is that what you buy would be bound to you. If you were buying stuff for yourself on the Zen Shop, there would be no difference between probation and non.
    edited August 2014
    yeah, but i want to use some of my zen on ad, for use on the ah... and it wont let me sell my z
    edited August 2014
    3 WEEKS...please dont tell me :( ignorance WAS bliss lol
    edited August 2014
    yeah, but i want to use some of my zen on ad, for use on the ah... and it wont let me sell my z

Yes but the guy that I responded to only mentioned a few things, c. wards, ioun stone, 110% mount. All of this is Zen store, so there is no reason for him not to buy zen even if he was 100% going to get probation no matter what.
    edited August 2014
    As do i...ironic doesn't seem to cover it anymore... i just don't know what to say about this situation anymore...i'm speechless :mad:
  • jwmousejwmouse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited August 2014

I would say that if you were cheating in any form then I would ban for life
  • jimdenjimden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    NO blame intended,

I too have purchased Zen using a CC, PayPal, PWE cards and Non-PWE cards and was NOT put on probation.

Perhaps some other transactions caused this action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lycragirllycragirl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited August 2014
    jwmouse wrote: »

To be clear, I haven't ever participated in an exploit...

The only difference between my Zen purchases was that last time I used steam instead of arc. I don't know if that could have triggered the probation thingy?
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The probationary period on purchasing zen from Cryptic is nothing to do with cheating in the game ,it is a security measure they have put in place to prevent credit card fraud .

See here for more information - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?719681-Neverwinter-Security-Update-07-31-14&p=8555031&viewfull=1#post8555031
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited August 2014

Well, thankyou for that totally of the topic troll...and no, the probation period is something that they are transitioning players through on a generality.
    edited August 2014
    so, just heard back on my lattest ticket.

From Me:
    "thankyou for your response...but how long is the probation period? its been almost 6 days that i've been on probation, and now where does it say how long the probation is for?"
    edited August 2014
    so, just heard back on my lattest ticket.

From Me:
    "thankyou for your response...but how long is the probation period? its been almost 6 days that i've been on probation, and now where does it say how long the probation is for?"

Email them back that the forums say to submit a support ticket. Wait this sounds like a bad joke.
    edited August 2014
    Free at last, free at last, thank Kelemvor almight, free at last ;) Thanks PWE...i take it all back.
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I"m no expert on Steam, far from it. I prefer to stay away from those middleman companies as much as possible. But if your steam wallet allows you to undo payments, it might very well be a part of the reason. I used a direct bank transfer using IDeal and was not put on probation.
    So there are certain mechanics or payment sources that trigger it. What those mechanics and sources are, Cryptic will never tell us. But to put it bluntly, any payment that can be reversed can be flagged. It would be crude and take a lot of manpower to sort out afterwards. Of course most systems are a bit more fine-tuned than that, but that is the general idea.
    Most publishers have one or more of the following ways to lift the probation period:
    1. The first payment using an "exploitable" method (CC, Paypal and the like) comes through without issues. This is to assure the source is genuine.
    2. People are required to have made several payments using the same "questionable" source on the same paypal/CC account. This is to assure the source the payment comes from is really owned by the person making the payment. Paypal, for example, sends you 2 cents with a code in the notification area you need to copy to ensure the bank account you want to link is actually yours.
    3. CC companies offer a way to check CC numbers to spot fake ones and your number passes that test.

What systems cryptic invented or combines, we'll never know. Telling us that is the same as telling us how to avoid detection. But it would have been decent to give us an indication of the time it takes to be verified. The fact they did not, could indicate they invented the wheel themselves and they honestly don't know how long it's going to take until people use it, but again, we'll never know.

That makes sense. I'm not really that bothered by it, other than the slight feeling of grubbiness at being 'suspected'. It hasn't changed what I did with my Zen.

There is that little mistrustful voice inside my head that's questioning whether this is a tactic to address the Zax backlog though, causing people to use that method of zen to AD conversion rather than the more profitable buy x and sell for y on the AH.
    edited August 2014
    Interesting...a message now comes up when purchasing from the Wonderous Bazzar: due to recent purchase activity, all items bought will now be bound to your account.

Sounds like a good idea to me :) solves problems

Please don't hit me too hard if you disagree :)
    edited August 2014
    Interesting...a message now comes up when purchasing from the Wonderous Bazzar: due to recent purchase activity, all items bought will now be bound to your account.

Sounds like a good idea to me :) solves problems

Please don't hit me too hard if you disagree :)

I just logged in to test this. I didn't get the message, bought a GMP and it's not bound.

Weird.
    edited August 2014
    strange...were you on probation? maybe its for those that were, weird
    edited August 2014
    strange...were you on probation? maybe its for those that were, weird

Yep. Still am on probation as far as I'm aware.
    edited August 2014
    lycragirl wrote: »
    Yep. Still am on probation as far as I'm aware.

maybe it'll happen when your off...who knowns
  • dweather1953dweather1953 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    Yup.. still on probation here... :confused:

I've been on probation for over 2 weeks. About to the point of quitting. All they keep saying is my account is not on probation. Yet I still can not buy/sell ZEN in game. I understand having security but this is just NUTZ!!!! I don't think they know what is going on!
    edited August 2014
    I've been on probation for over 2 weeks. About to the point of quitting. All they keep saying is my account is not on probation. Yet I still can not buy/sell ZEN in game. I understand having security but this is just NUTZ!!!! I don't think they know what is going on!

If they say you're not on probation when you are, I'd fraps a video showing the problem and send that in to them.
This discussion has been closed.