test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why I am never going in the Mask again

mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
edited July 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
1.) My ignore list has hundreds of names on it where I have blocked chat spammers
2.) Why oh why do some people stand around in the mask all day JUST to jump on people/move them about/other annoying stuff?
3.) The level of roleplay has seriously fallen recently. When you have one month old babies suddenly grown up and having babies of their own/somehow smart enough to own their business and GHOSTS getting pregnant? I'm sorry but that takes the biscuit and I draw the line at interacting with these people. Fantasy is fantasy but COME ON.

Therefore I am no longer playing in the Mask and I advise any serious roleplayers to stay away from it. The glory days are over people :/
I shall henceforth be playing in the driftwood or other taverns with my friends. If you are a serious roleplayer join /NWRP channel if you have not already to find where everybody is at.
Post edited by mittensofdoom on

Comments

• abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's not all bad all the time; I went into the Mask the other day to bug the Waukeen merchant, and there were quite a few people doing some good RP in there. The other taverns are good locations for variety, but don't discount the mask completely.

(no I didn't interrupt the RPers and yes I put on my RP slow-walk instead of running and jumping like a crazed lemur -- not all of us are jerks!)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stay away from the Driftwood Tavern , when I spam dungeons or skirmishes for a few hours I always set off from there , it seems to give a more stable connection and less lag ( probably totally my imagination xD) plus the meeting room downstairs is my hideout ,go find your own tavern XD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mittensofdoom - welcome to "Social RP" BLEH.

Sometimes you just have to suspend disbelief on some things, and actively ignore (without using IGNORE button) those whom either go so far from beleiveability or are so anal retentive on "That's not cannon lore!" to enjoy your own RP.

This isn't just in the Moonstone Mask so don't put it down as a "bad area" please. These people RP everywhere same as the GOOD RPers do. Advertising the Driftwood Tavern as "the new kewl hang out" will just get people going there to check out why it's "so kewl, ya know".

It's no different than going to a local café, pub, or restaurant. You'll get a mix of people.

(Quite frankly the ones whom come up with the worst cheese for RP are the ones whom will have less RP, and then none eventually beyond the few friends whom will tolerate them. Just move on, and RP where ya like.)
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • anthornblueanthornblue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Spammers and trolls really are annoying, though there is nothing to be done about that... They can (and do) do that everywhere. On the third issue...

To start off, I find it pretty childish to come clean dirty laundry out in public like that, especially when there are half-veiled personal attacks in there. But since it is already done, my 2 coppers on it are that someone else rping something in the same place where you are doesn't detract from your own rp. Everyone can have their corner of the sandbox, and what happens in the opposite corner doesn't affect you at all. Live and let live.

RPing in more places is awesome and I'm all for it, but part of the community refusing use of the only single-instance hangout in the entire game only serves to segregate and diminish the whole.
  • emesciaemescia Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Honestly? There are GREAT RPers in the Mask, not just trolls.
    I agree that, sometimes, it is nice to RP somewhere else, for several reasons, but I wouldn't discard the Mask like that.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    What is Rp in neverwinter ? how do you guys roleplay ? Im not a troll I just don't understand it I guess.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    What is Rp in neverwinter ? how do you guys roleplay ? Im not a troll I just don't understand it I guess.

Go stand in the moonstone mask for half a hour when the game is busy , you see people in character talking about some crazy stuff , some weird stuff and some plain creepy stuff ,it is great fun to read when you can't actively play xD
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    thing is there would be more roleplay if it was encouraged but sadly as far as the dnd part of this game goes it stops at the core rules would be nice for some daily roleplay quests were you get rewarded for how you roleplay
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    thing is there would be more roleplay if it was encouraged but sadly as far as the dnd part of this game goes it stops at the core rules would be nice for some daily roleplay quests were you get rewarded for how you roleplay

How would that even be done? Who would judge it and get to decide your reward? Id personally not want my RP scored or turned into some kind of contest, or popularity thing.

All role players need, is simply other like minded role players.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Tbh, last time I tried to RP with somebody in moonstone mask all I seen is a bunch of naked trolls running around me.

I suspect they all just use foundries for that purpose now ._.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    How would that even be done? Who would judge it and get to decide your reward? Id personally not want my RP scored or turned into some kind of contest, or popularity thing.
    Live DMs. Scripted systems to detect in character chat when live DMs are not present. It's something thats been up and running in Neverwinter games for years and years now.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This isn't Neverwinter nights. Assuming the engine can even be modded to handle having a live DM. How would it work here? How would it be regulated? How much power could you give a DM? Can they spawn mobs? Or generate rewards? And how would you prevent abuse?

This would simply be another system, like the foundry. That will either be wide open for abuse or regulated to uselessness, leaving no one happy.
  • oddzoddz Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oh i remember the day i tryde to brake in to VIP using my ranger skills
  • oddzoddz Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ohh you sir you sir hear me out mr negativity, you are wrong no1 will ever misuse a system, that can give you power over live and death, HIC! arggg i give up! BArtender! another Round of Dwawen spirit for the ones not looking like a honkies! um monkeys .. nwm
    edited July 2014
    Rewarded for how I RP? The reward is the RP itself.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only way a DM would work is having a DM that can actively manipulate a foundry map while people are already in it.

thats the only way I can see Rp working with a DM in neverwinter. And I would actually really like that.
  • emeraldfox12emeraldfox12 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Go stand in the moonstone mask for half a hour when the game is busy , you see people in character talking about some crazy stuff , some weird stuff and some plain creepy stuff ,it is great fun to read when you can't actively play xD

I said it once ill say it again. sounds like the lions pride inn in goldshire on the moongaurd server in world of warcraft. Dont believe me? go there yourself on a free trial account and youll see
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This isn't Neverwinter nights. Assuming the engine can even be modded to handle having a live DM. How would it work here? How would it be regulated? How much power could you give a DM? Can they spawn mobs? Or generate rewards? And how would you prevent abuse?

This would simply be another system, like the foundry. That will either be wide open for abuse or regulated to uselessness, leaving no one happy.
    People ask for a proper rp experience, actively refuse to play somewhere that provides one. It's been this way with Neverwinter Online since the beginning.

/just ask eldarth about me if you dont believe I support non grind rp friendly content here.
    edited July 2014
    I said it once ill say it again. sounds like the lions pride inn in goldshire on the moongaurd server in world of warcraft. Dont believe me? go there yourself on a free trial account and youll see

Thats exactly what its becoming actually. I hadnt realized it until I read that. Thats progressively what its metamorphing into.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Instead of giving up and walking away, take it back! ;)

edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Instead of giving up and walking away, take it back! ;)

It's not a pvp zone, breaking out the murder tools isn't allowed in the Mask.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    It's not a pvp zone, breaking out the murder tools isn't allowed in the Mask.
    Murder isn't the only way to deal with a problem, nor should it ever be. Mask doesn't always have multiple instances, so report the lewd and harassing people. Let the GMs watch them and see how they are disrupting the game for people. Hold regular events and outnumber the lewd people, put them on ignore. The best thing to do with an obnoxious person is to ignore them, for that is the opposite of what they want. They want you to react emotionally. So don't and use civilized methods to combat them. There are many more ways to solve a problem without violence or stooping to the offenders' level.
    edited July 2014
    Murder isn't the only way to deal with a problem, nor should it ever be. Mask doesn't always have multiple instances, so report the lewd and harassing people. Let the GMs watch them and see how they are disrupting the game for people. Hold regular events and outnumber the lewd people, put them on ignore. The best thing to do with an obnoxious person is to ignore them, for that is the opposite of what they want. They want you to react emotionally. So don't and use civilized methods to combat them. There are many more ways to solve a problem without violence or stooping to the offenders' level.
    Sheesh, way to be all serious in a reply!
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    three cheers for Old Zeb! *raises his mug of ale*

I have been wondering since I started playing last month if there was an RP crowd in this game. I love DnD and especially the Faerun setting and I think I know quite a bit about it. I'd love to RP in character for a while. It would be quite fun me thinks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited July 2014

This is pretty much what we've been doing for a long time now. I know I have. Its the months still and nothing being done about it and these same people still persisting thats the problem.

And for the OP, I dont think she was talking about specifically just those trolls either. I think she also included..hm.. how can I say.. unperferred character themes and concepts that was also included in her posts. But thats a seperate and less dire issue from the former mentioned.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    What happens in the mask, how do people troll you ? I thought the mask was for everyone.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    What happens in the mask, how do people troll you ? I thought the mask was for everyone.

A lot of PR'ers use it to roleplay their characters and they use it as a central meeting point , when they are trying to roleplay idiots run about naked and jumping around like loons and talking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and trying to trade/interact with them and it kind of wrecks the whole thing . At least that is what it sounds like .
    edited July 2014
    Merely continue on the RP either ignoring said naked persons whom "dance seductively", or you can comment on it in your RP.

"This place seems to have portalled in a large amount of Sigil street wanderers! Oh my, that dancing should be moved elsewhere. How unhygienic, boots on the bar."

"That poor dwarf seems in such need of money he feels compelled to confuse this place for the Seven Suns Coster's Market."

"You know, I have never heard of such a thing! Did they just say their father was an orc necromancer, and their mother a fighter Halfling? I think I shall move to the other side of the room. Pardon me."

ETC.

• pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What happened today? I've never seen the Mask so full lmao!

The mask was literally CROWDED. Was there a huge gather or something? I've never seen this since the dam beta. I think there were at least 50+ people. Not even exaggerating.
    edited July 2014
    I was there later in the evening. It wasnt that full. it was decently sized but not close to 50. it was about 17 people in there. Nothing significant I can say, and half of them were trolls