test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warlock class in module 4?

fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
On the preview server items for the Warlock class are dropping. Seems likely that it will be the next class. Well, no big surprise, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know im looking forward to seeing warlocks, wondering how well they will differ from CW.
    especially now that CW has a fire set. also wondering what the second prestige class would be.
    a fae pact could be cool they could do bug summoning and poison type spells.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's spelled Fey, not Fae, for the purposes of the 4E Warlock pact, and if you ever played one you know it has nothing to do with bugs or poison. No idea why you'd even think something so wildly off.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    As cool as the fey pact is I would assume it we would get the infernal pact. Just seems more mainstream IMO.

But it would be even cooler if we could choose one or the other...but I am not sure how ambitious the devs would get. They got pretty ambitious with the HR so who knows...

In either even since this has to do with events on the preview server this goes in the preview section.
  • Options
    cerberobotcerberobot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 345
    edited June 2014
    Got an item too. But it was sure, I saw on a website it was announced the ranger then the warlock.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know im looking forward to seeing warlocks, wondering how well they will differ from CW.
    especially now that CW has a fire set. also wondering what the second prestige class would be.
    a fae pact could be cool they could do bug summoning and poison type spells.

They might or might not differ by much depending on how they are implemented by the devs. I'm in no way an expert of 4e, but my understanding of Warlocks is that they are essentially mid-ranged TRs who trade most of TRs subtlety for extra damage and rely on "lifestealing" and minor debuffing abilities for survival, but there are warlock subclasses/builds (Binders) that are more akin to CWs.
  • Options
    whatefwhatef Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    There are several Paladins or Paladin-like NPCs in the event missions, I thought that might be a big hint as to what the next class would be. Warlock items have been in the game since beta, so that doesn't necessarily mean there will be a Warlock class.
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Leaked stuff from way back when says that the Paragon Path that Scourge Warlock is shipping out with is Hellbringer, which means that it will be Infernal Pact.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    orodalf wrote: »
    Leaked stuff from way back when says that the Paragon Path that Scourge Warlock is shipping out with is Hellbringer, which means that it will be Infernal Pact.

Hmm... then it will be mostly a single target, DPS focused build...
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really hope warlock will ne next :D
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    ggunchggunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited June 2014
    Okay so maybe this has been talked about already or maybe I am in the wrong place but does anyone know anything about when this class is coming? I was hoping Mod4 would be it but I haven't heard anything yet, only thing I know that has gotten me a little excited was my wife and I were playing on the preview server testing out some new builds and she got a blue item for a Warlock. Maybe it was a glitch or maybe it means that they are starting to code in some of the stuff for Warlocks I dunno.

Just for the life of me please tell us are we getting anything new this Mod or are you just going to screw with all the feats and skills for the current classes?
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here's all we know: Warlock gear is dropping on the Preview Shard.

That is all.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    as far as comparisons of the CW and Warlock go, remember this; yes, they're both arcane casters with high damage. But, wait, let's make another comparison; what class dual wields short blades, can go into stealth, and do ridiculous damage if you don't evade them?

And yet the Ranger and Rogue both play entirely different from each other. Just keep that in mind before complaining they're too similar to be separate concepts :)
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Anyone have any screen shots of the gear by chance? :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wizard works on AOE. Warlock works on single target. That's the difference.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Infernal Pact is definitely to be expected. Most likely Fey Pact will be the next Paragon Path for Warlock.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm pretty new to D&D. NeverWinter is the first/last MMO I will ever play.

Been playing this since beta... but I don't know about any other classes than the 6 we know and I won't lie I don't really follow this "Lore" or anything related ;3

What does a WarLock do? Is it like a CW's cousin? If it came in the game right now where would you (the warlock connaisseurs) rank it overall compared to other classes? For PVP and PVE.
  • Options
    arbitrarityarbitrarity Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We can't really say without details about how it's implemented. Warlocks wield arcane power from a pact made with some power (Infernal, Fey, or Eldritch, usually) and commonly throw it about as an Eldritch Blast. Feylocks have tons of teleports, Infernalocks have lots of temporary hit points and a fair amount of disables.

Expect bursty single target damage with some CC (think Entangling Force or Icy Rays, but more damage), a splash of AOE, stamina recharge, and health-sacrificing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pandora1x wrote: »
    What does a WarLock do? Is it like a CW's cousin? If it came in the game right now where would you (the warlock connaisseurs) rank it overall compared to other classes? For PVP and PVE.

Think of it as a ranged TR rather than a CW (it's a striker, not a controller). Many single-targed high DPS powers, some stealth-ish abilities, minor life-stealing (and life usage as a power source) and minor debuffing.

It will be probably better in PVP than in PVE, and more useful in shorter battles with bosses (events, skirmishes) rather than full dungeons. But this is just an estimate by reading the D&D players handbook, we know nothing about what is the developers vision and how it will be implemented.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    pandora1x wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to D&D. NeverWinter is the first/last MMO I will ever play.

Been playing this since beta... but I don't know about any other classes than the 6 we know and I won't lie I don't really follow this "Lore" or anything related ;3

Since Ryu covered the mechanical aspects (except that we know the primary stats will be constitution, intelligence, and charisma), I'll cover the lore aspects.

See, Wizards get their magical power from study; they learn how to manipulate the universe by using certain movements, energies, and materials; essentially, entering in the cheat codes to the universe. Warlocks, on the other hand make a deal with a powerful being (oftentimes a devil, fey, or beings from beyond the stars, though other pacts exist) for power, and then they act as a conduit for that power. So when a wizard wants a fireball, she enters in the right code and the enemy explodes. As the wizard gets more powerful, she learns how to adjust the code she's entering to get more power out of it, and similar. When a warlock wants a fireball, she reaches down into the hells, pulls off a chunk of energy, and lobs it at her opponent, and as she gets stronger, she can dredge up more power out of the hells (or, you know, wherever she gets her power from).
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Been reading about all the datamining from beta and it looks like it could be Hellbringer paragon path? , this would seem to be a weird choice since CW has MoF or is Hellbringer warlock totally different to MoF CW?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Hellbringer is a "fiery doom" sort of paragon path, yes. Trick there is that it's very more specified on blowing your enemies to itty bitty pieces than it is watching them burn to death over time.

Keep in mind, though, that that's the pen and paper parts of it. It may be very different in Neverwinter's implementation.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Hellbringer is a "fiery doom" sort of paragon path, yes. Trick there is that it's very more specified on blowing your enemies to itty bitty pieces than it is watching them burn to death over time.

Keep in mind, though, that that's the pen and paper parts of it. It may be very different in Neverwinter's implementation.

I am really getting the feeling that they will release a OP Warlock while nerfing the CW right back in order to make Warlock the new prestige magic dps class and try to force all the CW players who want to play as ranged dps to change over and if they do that then I don't know if I'm going to be happy sticking around , I'm not bothered about having to earn back my BiS gear and weapons and I can swap out my enchantments but not only will I lose all my companions but also all the work on my artifacts will be lost , if they go through with this it's a disgrace....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    I am really getting the feeling that they will release a OP Warlock while nerfing the CW right back in order to make Warlock the new prestige magic dps class and try to force all the CW players who want to play as ranged dps to change over and if they do that then I don't know if I'm going to be happy sticking around , I'm not bothered about having to earn back my BiS gear and weapons and I can swap out my enchantments but not only will I lose all my companions but also all the work on my artifacts will be lost , if they go through with this it's a disgrace....

Well, the CW was never meant to actually do DPS. It's just a combination of power design and poor epic dungeon planning that made CW into a PvE king class. But I don't think anyone really expected that to last forever. Everyone knew a nerf was around the corner, we just didn't know how and when.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well, the CW was never meant to actually do DPS. It's just a combination of power design and poor epic dungeon planning that made CW into a PvE king class. But I don't think anyone really expected that to last forever. Everyone knew a nerf was around the corner, we just didn't know how and when.

Yeah , I guess i'm just blowing off some steam , if I have to start over just to be a magic dps it's going to be annoying , really they should never have let high dps CW run so long but whatever , I just wish cryptic would get their act together , every time they release a new class they can't just nerf the nearest existing class into oblivion to make the new class seem desirable ,people are going to play it anyway , ugh building up all my companions and artifacts again * headbutts desk*
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    To be fair, wizards are still going to be viable despite the advent of the warlock, particularly since Warlocks aren't going to have the sheer level of AoE that CWs enjoy. Add in that the oppressor tree is basically going to hand you perma-stuns, and you should be golden with something as simple as a respec.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Who knows how good it will be, HRs weren't on release. I'm still looking forward to seeing something new, especially when they're magically.
  • Options
    bielka72bielka72 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've had 2 Green scourge warlocks items drop for me. They are:

+4 Reviving Pact Blade
    417-509 Damage
    +1221 Power
    +440 Recovery
    Offensive Slot
    Lvl 59

+4 Parrying Leather Tunic
    +6 AC
    +168 Defence
    +604 Deflection
    Defence Slot
    LvL 54
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Been reading about all the datamining from beta and it looks like it could be Hellbringer paragon path? , this would seem to be a weird choice since CW has MoF or is Hellbringer warlock totally different to MoF CW?

I imagine the warlock will be the best debuffer in the game and have good single target DPS. It will become the new fotm by many players, most of whom won't be any good at them just like TR and HR. The SW will suffer from its own popularity.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Anyone know if the the Jeweled Thayan Equipment Crate been updated with Mulhorand Warlock gear on the preview server?
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah , I guess i'm just blowing off some steam , if I have to start over just to be a magic dps it's going to be annoying , really they should never have let high dps CW run so long but whatever , I just wish cryptic would get their act together , every time they release a new class they can't just nerf the nearest existing class into oblivion to make the new class seem desirable ,people are going to play it anyway , ugh building up all my companions and artifacts again * headbutts desk*

When we get used to the wrong we hate the right..c'est la vie.. Also how would they make money if people dont level up new toons ?
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.