test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Laughing so hard at the CW nerf.

joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Library
They think they can stop us CW's from dominating PVE.

I have good news my CW brethen. Don't get discouraged. I've came up with a new power rotation that keeps us damaging AND controlling, stay tuned. Tested it for about 45 minutes on preview. I'll post again when the nerf happens. They're making a huge mistake with this nerf, I'm pretty sure people will stack even more CW's now.

Don't forget. We will STILL dominate PVE. Mark my words.

PS: Shard of The Endless avalanche is utter garbage. Eye of the Storm almost never procs, and Conduit of Ice is semi-useless since there's no -15% mitigation anymore. These 3 powers = RIP
Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
Post edited by joocycuzzzzzz on

Comments

• silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I'm not worried, even in the slightest for me...

MoFs got buffed,

.... and I can still run the same rotations because none of it will affect how I'd play. I can still run FtF on Tab, CoI for extra DoT, Steal Time, and Shards since the damage buff to Steal Time will make up for the damage nerf to Shards. And on top of that ArP now works with FtF so I am also unaffected by the Assailing Force Debuff being removed.

Other classes however are no longer going to see much benefit from my Nightmare Wizardry's combat advantage, as it won't proc as much. Nor will they get the bonus of Assailing Force 15% debuff, since they benefitted from it too.

After all is said and done I've lost relatively little damage as an MoF.

Spellstorms however have been ripped in half and apparently are now going to have Icy Terrain rammed down their throats whether they want it or not.

But... I suspect, from others I've heard from, you're right in your assessment, It will likely mean multi-wizard groups and the standard GWF/CW parties continue on without issue. Though you'd have to check the GWFs on that one.

But that's not the point for me, I'm just getting **** tired of this useless endless nerf cycle that never solves a thing in the end. And this latest heavy handed maneuver from Cryptic that once again solved nothing and only made a bigger mess.
  • wolfzzzzwolfzzzz Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I'm not worried, even in the slightest for me...

MoFs got buffed,

.... and I can still run the same rotations because none of it will affect how I'd play. I can still run FtF on Tab, CoI for extra DoT, Steal Time, and Shards since the damage buff to Steal Time will make up for the damage nerf to Shards. And on top of that ArP now works with FtF so I am also unaffected by the Assailing Force Debuff being removed.

Other classes however are no longer going to see much benefit from my Nightmare Wizardry's combat advantage, as it won't proc as much. Nor will they get the bonus of Assailing Force 15% debuff, since they benefitted from it too.

After all is said and done I've lost relatively little damage as an MoF.

Spellstorms however have been ripped in half and apparently are now going to have Icy Terrain rammed down their throats whether they want it or not.

But... I suspect, from others I've heard from, you're right in your assessment, It will likely mean multi-wizard groups and the standard GWF/CW parties continue on without issue. Though you'd have to check the GWFs on that one.

But that's not the point for me, I'm just getting **** tired of this useless endless nerf cycle that never solves a thing in the end. And this latest heavy handed maneuver from Cryptic that once again solved nothing and only made a bigger mess.

Depending on how the changes finally make it to live, I may very well re-spec to MoF. I think the only reason MoF escaped much of this nerfing is that it is still a small minority of what is being played, with spellstorm thaum of course being the norm, therefore taking the brunt of the hit.

I fear that if the majority of CWs discover that MoF is the way to remain viable, that sooner or later the nerf bat will come out for MoF too. The changes are so reckless and extreme that I can only conclude they are trying to ruin the class. It's hard to believe they could be that clueless as to just hack and slash away at the feets, skills, and class features so wildly and not expect an extreme result.

Furthermore, the nice control buffs to the oppressor tree will very likely be severely trimmed back because the PvPers are reporting that they are OP in that side of the game. So we will have a minimal control, minimal DPS class in the end. Unless somehow the devs come to their senses and implement much more moderate changes.

I'm not in favor of the nerfs at all, but I could have lived with say, making CWs able to do 80% of their current DPS. It would be a nerf, but would not feel class breaking.

With more and more hints emerging about the impending release of the warlock, I suspect the devs asked themselves "if we release a DPS caster while already having one, what unique role will it have?", and came to the conclusion that gimping the CW into near-unplayability was the way to get people into the new class. New classes are big moneymakers for the game, so us CWs have been forced into taking the hit for the Cryptic team. Just speculation of course, but not at all unplausible IMO.
    edited June 2014
    NVM, reread, question already answered.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wolfzzzz wrote: »
    With more and more hints emerging about the impending release of the warlock, I suspect the devs asked themselves "if we release a DPS caster while already having one, what unique role will it have?", and came to the conclusion that gimping the CW into near-unplayability was the way to get people into the new class. New classes are big moneymakers for the game, so us CWs have been forced into taking the hit for the Cryptic team. Just speculation of course, but not at all unplausible IMO.

Honestly, I think this is why CW are even getting touched in this rework to this extent. The next class, Scourge Warlock, is coming either this module or in module 5.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And even if your rotation doesn't work, you can just stack even more CW's. Basically making their nurf backfire because they want to have more rainbow parties so everyone can get it. Weaker CWs = needs more CWs to complete dungeons :)
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Guys. It's 7 weeks until Module 5. These are just proposed changes.

Relax.

Remember the Ranger "nerfs". Most of those got dialed back, and ended up actually making the Ranger overall better.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    And even if your rotation doesn't work, you can just stack even more CW's. Basically making their nurf backfire because they want to have more rainbow parties so everyone can get it. Weaker CWs = needs more CWs to complete dungeons :)

Trust me brah. It does work. It's comparable to my massive damage before while keeping the control too.

I made up for the singularity loss by using another power. I'm waiting whether the nerf actually happens or not to post the full thing.

@to everyone

I'm not too worried about Warlock. It's gonna be a poverty control wizard. We'll do everything better, just how GWF is an enhanced GF :]
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Reroll warlock. It'll probably be incredibly OP and broken at launch just like HR was/is.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited June 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Guys. It's 7 weeks until Module 5. These are just proposed changes.

Relax.

Remember the Ranger "nerfs". Most of those got dialed back, and ended up actually making the Ranger overall better.

You may be right, and I hope you are. The last round of nerfs for the GWF also ended up overall not being a nerf at all, with the compensating buffs.

It seems like they start from an extreme position and gradually negotiate back from it. On the other hand, the changes proposed for CWs are far more sweeping than for those two classes, so they are starting negotiations from a much more extreme position. Though it was done more gradually and piecemeal, I also remember what they did to the TR, and what it was like before. So ultimately, we probably won't know what the final result will be until Mod 4 drops, or very close to that time.
    edited June 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    Reroll warlock. It'll probably be incredibly OP and broken at launch just like HR was/is.
    It probably will be. But I'm not sure I want to invest heavily in the class then ride the subsequent rollercoaster of changes. Also, with the game economy being what it is now, the thought of gearing up a new toon to the extent I have geared up my CW is not necessarily appealing.

On the other hand, if it becomes the only way to play a DPS caster in this game....well, we'll see.
  • shezerashezera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here is my only issue with all that is proposed. They are pretty much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> every build other than MoF oppressor. I don't want to feel like I am forced to spec into an ice build. I get it that it's useful but why can they just not allow all paragon paths to be viable and this goes for every class. If one has more control dial back it's damage a bit. Leave one with less control but make the damage better. That way everyone can pick and choose what they want to do without feeling forced into a decision.

I don't care how many Thaum mages there are if that is what the majority of people enjoy then let them play that spec. That is one thing that has been really fun about this game there are several choices when it comes to spec and you don't really gimp yourself unless you just toss points all willy nilly across the board. As long as you pick feats that back up your skills for the most part you can roll with just about anything. This round of nerfs and a few buffs just seems so **** random and haphazard that I will retire my cw if I have to go ice. I like arcane!
  • mafesiomafesio Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am a cw and would be upset for the game ended up being nothing but cw groups doing dungeons, I can just imagine the lag from icey terrain, it already screw's people up, I personally like icey but rarely use it do to complaints about it lagging their computer. I can only imagine what it would be like if there were 4 cw's in party
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    MOF = fire mage and ice without even a fireball! Only even in the world of Cryptic EXTRAORDINARY! It makes me laugh and I am also FACT these "nerf wars" that serve only to one thing: putting the community on the warpath! Meanwhile the zen store ... many new items to offset the nerfs ... come on!
  • moz81moz81 Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2014
    All I can say as a guy who used to play TR is:

This

What goes around comes around, as they say ;)
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Why dont they just strip the class of their great damage (to avoid stacking), but grants REAL CONTROL capabilities to the encounters.. Instead of having damaging encounters with a little bit of control as an extra bonus like what is currently done now..? Will it impose too much trouble if done like that?
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    moz81 wrote: »

This

but honey you are the next , i can't wait to the stealth nerf :D
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't care if they'd make TRs jump around on pogo sticks. They nerfed all the fun out of that gimped class. Can't even remember how many times you had to "adapt" with that class. 3 major nerfs, maybe?

I'm just happy that CW are getting the nerfhammer now. They were the ones QQ'ing most about TRs in the past.

I play a PvP HR now and I'll probably roll a Warlock in M4.
    edited June 2014
    moz81 wrote: »

This

Then it is Ironic, it was ME who was trying to get those nerfs removed... isn't it?

Thanks by the way... I feel so good about trying to push for the rollback of those Nerfs now... and Ironically defending Rogues on the board when the nerfaholics come out...

And this... is the way you really felt about my efforts?

Gee thanks. Guess I know not to do that anymore.
    edited June 2014
    Hey, silver. I'm mostly just having some fun with the whole thing. I realize that it must suck for people heavily invested in CW, but this has been a reality for other classes ever since the game went live. I suspect some will ragequit and others will adapt.

I do not think that Cryptic will change their minds about the nerf. No amount of complaining has stopped any other nerf. Might be a money decision with Warlock around the corner. They want people to spend money and level new toons. It's a business, after all.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 1,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »

ummm no. I spend far more time on the STO side, but I have seen more that a few dev comments to the effect that once WE find out about something, it's pretty well set in stone. they may do some minor tweaks, but for the most part, that's the way it is. with the additional comment is thet they are the devs, not the playerbase
    entreprise_zpsm6eq6x0i.gif

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hquadros wrote: »
    Meanwhile the zen store ... many new items to offset the nerfs ... come on!

Zen store is their profit center -- everything else is loss.

So...
    80% Zen Item Developers
    10% "Maintenance" Developers
    10% "New content" Developers

Short term profitability at expense of long-term sustainability.
    Corporate software development at it's finest.
  • harbinger815harbinger815 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Zen store is their profit center -- everything else is loss.

So...
    80% Zen Item Developers
    10% "Maintenance" Developers
    10% "New content" Developers

Short term profitability at expense of long-term sustainability.
    Corporate software development at it's finest.

you forgot to add foundry at 0% because they make no money from it
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014

You say that likes it a good thing. Don't you want a game where more classes can be viable in PVE?
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
    edited June 2014
    You say that likes it a good thing. Don't you want a game where more classes can be viable in PVE?

Well guess what?

I do want to see more classes viable... but sure as hell won't run someone else's class OR fun into the ground to do it...

Apparently that viewpoint is not shared by you.... you're on board for this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Which doesn't say much for those who pushed this current idiocy under the guise of "making other classes viable"

You want to do that?

Don't go <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on someone else to do it... then you might actually get little more respect.
  • vasiamen1vasiamen1 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Please show your build =)
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Well guess what?

I do want to see more classes viable... but sure as hell won't run someone else's class OR fun into the ground to do it...

Apparently that viewpoint is not shared by you.... you're on board for this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Which doesn't say much for those who pushed this current idiocy under the guise of "making other classes viable"

You want to do that?

Don't go <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on someone else to do it... then you might actually get little more respect.

If you're idea of "fun" is being the only viable class for PVE, then sorry, you're going to have to have some less fun if people playing the other classes are going to have any chance at being viable.

Your class isn't "run into the ground". As far as I can tell, the only class that was hit hard was GWF, meaning CW will be the ONLY class wanted for groups.

So you'll probably have lots of fun in Mod4.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you're idea of "fun" is being the only viable class for PVE, then sorry, you're going to have to have some less fun if people playing the other classes are going to have any chance at being viable.

Your class isn't "run into the ground". As far as I can tell, the only class that was hit hard was GWF, meaning CW will be the ONLY class wanted for groups.

Actually, Spellstorm CW is being nerfed into the ground in Mod 4 if all the current changes on PST go live. Certainly in terms of DPS at any rate - the Control tree is getting a moderate buff.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited June 2014
    Actually, Spellstorm CW is being nerfed into the ground in Mod 4 if all the current changes on PST go live. Certainly in terms of DPS at any rate - the Control tree is getting a moderate buff.

It's definitely nerfed, no doubt about it. But I don't know about nerfed into unviability. When CWs are doing 2 times the amount of damage of other classes, they can get nerfed and still come out on top or tied.

By GWF's being the only one's "hit hard", I mean they got a nerf to a core mechanic- Unstoppable, which may make it very difficult to do content. CWs will still be able to do content, get groups easy, and PVP.

The buff to the control tree should be nice since you won't have to have different specs for PVE or PVP.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014

All classes are viable for PVE. Even my TR, though it's boring being a single target DPSer in these add-centric dungeons. Some classes (AoE classes) just happen to be more useful. These nerfs will do nothing to make other classes more wanted. These nerfs will make sure that there must now be even more AoE classes in each group. It will take more than one CW to drop everything on the GWFs, with the lowered target cap. It will no longer be a choice made by min/maxers, it will be a necessity. DCs, TRs, and GFs will now have an even harder time staying alive with mobs running everywhere and staying alive longer.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This talk of the nerfs actually hurting other classes makes me LOL. It only shows how utterly arrogant these people are. You are also contradicting your own argument.

It is true that all classes are viable in PvE atm. The problem is that CWs simply do too much damage, so it doesn't matter that other classes actually are viable. It can even be argued that a good chunk of the reason why other classes are not getting the attention they deserve in PvE is because CWs are so good at killing everything everything else becomes secondary.The nerf to CW damage means other classes become more competitive, and means the devs can pay closer attention to their PvE needs.

How dare you say that content can potentially become harder just because other classes now have the opportunity to step up, especially in this day and age where people can become so overgeared they do rainbow/single class epic DG runs FOR FUN. Stupid, arrogant sob. How dare you pretend to defend other classes while at the same time offhandedly saying that they are, essentially, incompetent garbage.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.