test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Eliminster

lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The miss use of Eliminster as a vendor makes me worried about what they might do to other iconic characters.
Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
Post edited by lucifron44 on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . We're doing his bidding and he's rewarding us. Besides, he refuses to buy any of my potions or magical trinkets... *the mage grumles* Still mad over the Alhoon worm incident, I presume. Oh.. nay, I don't think Elminster minds.
  • Options
    gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm pretty sure he's done his fair share of moonlighting and fetch quests over the years. He's just passing on the tradition for us newcomers.
  • Options
    spike0337spike0337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you look at his quest he's give it looks like he's getting an army together.A lot of his quest deal with the Harpers but got one saying we may need the Zhentarim.Harpers and Zhentarim working together = something big coming.Might be Tyranny of Dragons!!!So having us run all over Neverwinter getting allies and giving us equipment makes sense to me.

PS just be happy you didn't need to wait for hours/days and fill out endless series of forms to meet him.
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's Elminster? I figured Gandalf had just got lost...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    I have to second Zeb and spike. First of all Elminster isn't really the shop, he's being the nurturing meddler that is is so well known for. He's getting people up and moving to better themselves and those around him and is more or less nudging people into taking action. And that isn't even accounting for the Harper storyline that is ramping up.

I wouldn't call this a misuse. The only other way he could be used is as a one time talk to event and that would have been a disappointment.
    antovaras wrote: »

Elminster is Gandalf on steroids.

See Gandalf died fighting a single Pit Fiend. Elminster went to hell and lived to tell the tale. Although he didn't do that much destruction since he was busy pretending to be a captive he did have The Simbul come and I am pretty sure some princes of the nine hells peed their pants seeing a crazy haired woman floating around hell screaming, 'WHERE IS ELMINSTER!?"

Pretty sure it looked something like this. And just remember, she is not more powerful than Elminster.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    spike0337 wrote: »
    If you look at his quest he's give it looks like he's getting an army together.A lot of his quest deal with the Harpers but got one saying we may need the Zhentarim.Harpers and Zhentarim working together = something big coming.Might be Tyranny of Dragons!!!So having us run all over Neverwinter getting allies and giving us equipment makes sense to me.

PS just be happy you didn't need to wait for hours/days and fill out endless series of forms to meet him.

You're right. M4 is going to come with an epic storyline, especially if WotC is pushing it.

It's all fun and games until someone casts Mordenkainen's Disjunction.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    spike0337 wrote: »
    If you look at his quest he's give it looks like he's getting an army together.A lot of his quest deal with the Harpers but got one saying we may need the Zhentarim.Harpers and Zhentarim working together = something big coming.Might be Tyranny of Dragons!!!
    Definitely. When you're send to the harper in Neverdeath Graveyard, she mentions the dragon cultists being up to something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Elminster is Gandalf on steroids.

See Gandalf died fighting a single Pit Fiend. Elminster went to hell and lived to tell the tale. Although he didn't do that much destruction since he was busy pretending to be a captive he did have The Simbul come and I am pretty sure some princes of the nine hells peed their pants seeing a crazy haired woman floating around hell screaming, 'WHERE IS ELMINSTER!?"

Pretty sure it looked something like this. And just remember, she is not more powerful than Elminster.

Gandalf fought a Valaraukar (the destroyer of Khazad-Dum & Durin's Bane), not a lowly pit fiend, died and then came back to tell the tale... Though let's see though Garrulous old Mage, dressed in Grey with a Sword and Staff... Gandalf was owning mobs before Elminster born :)
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bah Elminster.

Edwin Odesseiron once said it best. "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!" :p
  • Options
    excessfloodexcessflood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Gandalf is a scrub and Elminster is overrated.

Sincerely, Mordenkainen.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Gandalf fought a Valaraukar (the destroyer of Khazad-Dum & Durin's Bane), not a lowly pit fiend, died and then came back to tell the tale... Though let's see though Garrulous old Mage, dressed in Grey with a Sword and Staff... Gandalf was owning mobs before Elminster born :)

A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

Giving a pit fiend a name and a title doesn't change the fact he's a pit fiend. As stated the term Balrog was not used in D&D due to Tolkien proprieties but a Balrog is a Pit Fiend or Balor right down to the common depictions of the flaming whip.
    Balor_roar.jpg

The Simbul cut through them like a hit knife through butter. They might as well have been the flies and her the swatter.
  • Options
    wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Elminster too op, please nerf Elminster!

hope Elminster is not a Control Wizard or he will have a baaaaad time fighting some tyran dragons...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

Giving a pit fiend a name and a title doesn't change the fact he's a pit fiend. As stated the term Balrog was not used in D&D due to Tolkien proprieties but a Balrog is a Pit Fiend or Balor right down to the common depictions of the flaming whip.
    Balor_roar.jpg

The Simbul cut through them like a hit knife through butter. They might as well have been the flies and her the swatter.

Regardless a Valaraukar/Balrog is neither a pit fiend nor a Balor, no matter how close D&D copy the idea... As for the Simbul, when a good story doesn't work... Let's go munchkin :)
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    When the Renegade Evoker (I think) was released Zeb was smooth jealous the dang NBC had fireball.

He was like, I want it! I want it! I want it now!!
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2014

If you are referring to what Elminster looks like,... well what they are using in game is his original concept art. If you look at the cover for 'Spellfire' you will find he looks very much like what they put in game.

He has had many artistic incarnations over the years (and even spent years of his life as a woman). So he can look different.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Regardless a Valaraukar/Balrog is neither a pit fiend nor a Balor, no matter how close D&D copy the idea... As for the Simbul, when a good story doesn't work... Let's go munchkin :)

True. 'The' Balrog was the same race as Gandalf and the wizards, just in a different form. In fact the Balrog would have won if Gandalf hadn't the Elvin ring of power:fire to protect him from its fire.

Pit fiends are inspired on the concept of the Balrog.

Trying to argue who is more powerful is sort of silly. Gandalf is a sort of lesser angel. Elminster is a super powerful fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard, with god essence in his veins, Both from quite different worlds. Don't even try my friend.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    Trying to argue who is more powerful is sort of silly..

Its kinda like going on the STO forums and starting a debate over what ship would win, Enterprise or an Imperial Super Star Destroyer. ;)
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    True. 'The' Balrog was the same race as Gandalf and the wizards, just in a different form. In fact the Balrog would have won if Gandalf hadn't the Elvin ring of power:fire to protect him from its fire.

Pit fiends are inspired on the concept of the Balrog.

Trying to argue who is more powerful is sort of silly. Gandalf is a sort of lesser angel. Elminster is a super powerful fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard, with god essence in his veins, Both from quite different worlds. Don't even try my friend.
    Elminster was not a fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard. He was a 20thlvl mage until greenwood decided all of a sudden he had to be all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Elminster is a 2bit copy of gandalf and to say otherwise is making yourself look stupid. He even copied gandalf by all of a sudden using a sword. Greenwood, TSR, and WOTC have retconned elminster and the forgottenrealms so much its tragic.
  • Options
    giam24giam24 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thanks for this:p
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If Elminster is in the city I'm not sure why he needs to send us to go stop the bad guys in the skirmish (lore wise) since he would probably be able to handle all of them solo, and with bonus time to spare. :P

Also, the skirmish showcases how incompetent the city guards are! (An unfortunate requirement for gameplay I think ^_^).
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • Options
    blueknightblueknight Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    LOL

Elminister is drawn more as Gandalf the grey rather than Elminster.

Take a look at these

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2012-10-12-kl.-14.12.51.png

Elminster2.jpg

Elminster_-_Ciruelo_Cabral.jpg

Elminster wears red, not grey......how could they get somthing sooo wrong...
  • Options
    blueknightblueknight Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well this is from the 3rd Edition forgotten realms.

Ftr1 = Fighter
    Rog 2 = Rogue
    Cleric 3
    Wiz 20 = Wizard
    Acm 5 = Archmage
    Epic 4

so as you can see back in 2001 he had other stuff already for dnd 3e.....

Don't have the stats for 4e....

And as for him not doing stuff ....

"The strongest of Mystra Chosen rarely moves directly against his foes, preferring to work through younger and more vigorous heroes."

He helped found the harpers and is well also a good dancer and actor
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Is it worth noting that "has killed a ton of pit fiends" isn't really the accolade you'd think?

I mean, almost everyone playing the game has killed a ton of pit fiends. They're not that special. Now massed packs of erinyes, on the other hand...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    valetudo78 wrote: »
    Elminster was not a fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard. He was a 20thlvl mage until greenwood decided all of a sudden he had to be all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Elminster is a 2bit copy of gandalf and to say otherwise is making yourself look stupid. He even copied gandalf by all of a sudden using a sword. Greenwood, TSR, and WOTC have retconned elminster and the forgottenrealms so much its tragic.

Read the novel Elminster the making of a mage. He learns all these classes. It is cannon. Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If Elminster is in the city I'm not sure why he needs to send us to go stop the bad guys in the skirmish (lore wise) since he would probably be able to handle all of them solo, and with bonus time to spare. :P

Also, the skirmish showcases how incompetent the city guards are! (An unfortunate requirement for gameplay I think ^_^).

For the same reasons gods rarely walk the earth and deal with things directly. If he did all the BIG nasty villans would come out too. And cause massive collateral damage. This happens in every book where he intervenes directly.