test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cockatrice!? Oh dear!

shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
I hate to ever use the term 'over powered' but in this case, it just is.. a single companion passive can permanently root me in place, AND bypasses impossible to catch's CC immunity. I literally have no defence against it other than 'don't attack the enemy'.

10% chance on damage to root for 3 seconds sounds far too strong as it is.

Then take into account that its getting proced by my plaguefire ticks.. so I attack once and we are looking at 5x10% chance.. from a single attack.

That's not broken enough for you? well, it has no internal cooldown, It can be proced consecutively to root me on the spot indefinitely, since the proc chance is so high, over the 3 sec duration it will have been reapplied.

And.. it bypasses my only CC immunity ability as I said.. So, I attack a GWF once, and I'm stuck in melee with him forced to eat indomitable battle strike, or whatever else he chooses to do to me because I can't dodge.

And its not just GWFs either, a poor CW decided to put conduit of ice on me... my cockatrice passive decided he wouldn't be moving again, till 3 seconds after conduit ends.. ofcourse, he was dead by that point.

I am 100% ruined by a single companion passive...

Oh! and to top it all off, the passive doesn't even work in PvE.. its just a pvp breaker.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• juicebox87juicebox87 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So just fought an undergeared GWF in Icewind Dale open pvp. He had some of the worst gear I've ever seen on a GWF yet he came close to beating me as I was rooted 90% of the fight. After the fight I said am I lagging what just happened. Am I really that bad that he almost beat me, what could I do to prevent it the next time. Yet time after time I fought this guy. I would find myself rooted into place 90% of the fight. The issue is with Plaguefire or Bilethorn, two of the most wide used PvP enchantments, the Cockatrice was triggering at a 90% Up time.

My Suggestion would be to add a 15-20s ICD to the pet to prevent Overpowered use in Open world PvP. If you dont want to add this ICD I would suggest looking into other ways of balancing the pet so its not so broken, as of the moment. GWF are owning Icewind dale due to the fact unstoppable prevents them from being rooted. I'm not intending to come off QQing but this is so ridiculous a 12k GS GWF can fight my 17k GS Hunter, whats the point of geared when you can just roll a low geared player and destroy people who spent months geared to be good.
    Thanks cryptic for looking into this issue and helping to balance open world pvp once again.

We need your help ~ Ranged classes.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm it'll be interesting to see what they do with this , if they nerf it the forum will light up not only from players who spent a lot buying one from the AH ( almost 900k when I looked earlier) but also from the players who bought up loads of eggs to sell down the line , if they were going to 'fix 'it they should have done it Thursdays patch really .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I quite literally made a post about this 4 min before you...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?687581-Cockatrice-is-a-joke-It-needs-sorting-out-fast

I'm not sure if Unstoppable does prevent the snare. I know I'm getting snared still even with impossible to catch up, which is supposed to give me CC immunity... I'm not sure why it would be bypassing my CC immunity, but not a GWFs.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Calm down, it's going to get nerfed.
    edited June 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Calm down, it's going to get nerfed.

Are you sure, where did you hear this?
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shrewguy wrote: »
    Are you sure, where did you hear this?

Based on how they treated similar situations (Emblem just to name one off the top of my head) in the past, 95% sure, yes.

Everybody needs it to be competitive and nobody can use DoTs any longer. One companion shouldn't change the way PVP has to be played.
    edited June 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Based on how they treated similar situations (Emblem just to name one off the top of my head) in the past, 95% sure, yes.

Everybody needs it to be competitive and nobody can use DoTs any longer. One companion shouldn't change the way PVP has to be played.

Emblem took months for fix. Not very optimistic about this fix seeing as it was a recent release.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And that is the reason I have terror enchantment in my inventory.
    edited June 2014
    terror is on a 20s ICD. Point invalid.
    edited June 2014
    I'd say unslot all your damage deflecting companions and DoT damage. Helped me a lot
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I'm sure it will, but you will be waiting for a while.

how long before the emblem was finally nerfed?
  • gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As much as i do agree with everyone here that it's OP for PVP,if they nerf it,it will suck for PvE,cause i would love this companion bonus on my HR(since it suits my character),i still think they should make second active bonus for PVP only,cause i want this companion for PVE while keeping it the same,otherwise the cockatrice becomes absolutely useless in PvE. Anyone got any other suggestions other than nerfing it to Oblivion??
    edited June 2014
    gman118 wrote: »
    As much as i do agree with everyone here that it's OP for PVP,if they nerf it,it will suck for PvE,cause i would love this companion bonus on my HR(since it suits my character),i still think they should make second active bonus for PVP only,cause i want this companion for PVE while keeping it the same,otherwise the cockatrice becomes absolutely useless in PvE. Anyone got any other suggestions other than nerfing it to Oblivion??

except, you know.. it does nothing in PvE right now. Its only proced by players in pvp. So it already sucks for PvE.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shrewguy wrote: »
    I quite literally made a post about this 4 min before you...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?687581-Cockatrice-is-a-joke-It-needs-sorting-out-fast

I'm not sure if Unstoppable does prevent the snare. I know I'm getting snared still even with impossible to catch up, which is supposed to give me CC immunity... I'm not sure why it would be bypassing my CC immunity, but not a GWFs.

Its probably due to the same mechanical overlook as how the ol' HR's Grasping Roots used to ignore CC immunities. Probably the attack itself is classified as a seperate "summoned entity and its residual effects" or something like that, rather than just a "CC", and thus not properly listed as something avoidable through CC immunities.

Knowing Cryptic and how they used to handle similar effects systematically in <City of Heroes/Villains> and other games as well, its probably what's going on.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    emblem's advantage was multiple. root only affects one player.

until this is addressed and confirmed to not be WAI, i wouldn't assume that it is otherwise.
  • gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    (dont know how to quote a post,sorry) but Shrew i'm aware it doesn't do anything in PvE(yet) but when they fix it i hope for same thing,im not much of a PvP person but i want best for both sides here.I just dont want to sell it,since im waiting for some type of answer for the active.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It should have a 10-15s ICD, that activates *ONLY* when receiving damage from a player/PvP source (as to make it still viable in pve).

Needs to get fixed and left without ICD in PvE (mobs usually attack way slower than players).
  • ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How about u kill COCKatrice 1st? XD Sry bout this, but for a non native English speaker, this companion name is just hilarious!
    edit: Meh, forgot it doesnt have to be summoned to apply proc.
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
  • psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How funny it is. As a DC in pvp I'm always CCed to death, and now you whine if the same happens to you :)
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How about u kill COCKatrice 1st? XD Sry bout this, but for a non native English speaker, this companion name is just hilarious!
    edit: Meh, forgot it doesnt have to be summoned to apply proc.

"<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" refers to a rooster. The slang term came much later. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    It's effect does not appear in the combat log, unlike Bloodfire, as it causes no damage.

I raised a ticket about this last night as CW applies Movement 0 / runSpeed 0 in the combat log, whereas cheekytrice roar-root registers nothing.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Eeeek , no change or fix for it's active bonus was added to the patch on preview last night so maybe it is WAI ? xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Eeeek , no change or fix for it's active bonus was added to the patch on preview last night so maybe it is WAI ? xD

How long before they fixed the emblem op nonsense in pvp?

I'd wait a bit more before they will really explore this issue.
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Holy hell. I just experienced the cockatrice myself.

There was this pathetic GWF using ROAR AND Cockatrice (And also G.Plague). I literally couldn't attack back whatsoever, I still managed to slip away due to perma stealth. But god **** that thing is broken xDxD the GWF thought he was all good too because he killed me beforehand when I wasn't expecting that cockatrice thing.

Why must almost everything be broken in this game? xDD
    edited June 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    emblem's advantage was multiple. root only affects one player.

until this is addressed and confirmed to not be WAI, i wouldn't assume that it is otherwise.

Actually the Root applies to anyone hitting this player and does not possess and internal cool down so watching 15 people who cant catch one guy is kind of ridiculous.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh good. Yet another reason to avoid OWPvP like the plague.

Not that another reason was need, mind...
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    OPVP from 20 min ago
    was like 15 vs 20
    and the entire fight i was perma rooted it looks like cockatrice active goes through CC immunity aswell.
    edited June 2014
    *shouts with wicked face*
    RISE COCKATRICE PRICE! RIIIIIIISEEEEE!

Well, it's bonus is OP tbh...hopefully there will be another promo to get one otherwise it sounds unfair to the new players. I am sure the number of unbound cockatrices on server isn't too high...

UPD oh and GWF can still move while rooted by using threatening rush >.>
    I smell the conspiracy.
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    as a CW , my only way to survive in combat is my dodges and i was completely unable to use them .
    how can a single bonus companion destroy a complete class? :confused:
    please change this bonus or reduce its proced time.
    edited June 2014
    kaedennn wrote: »
    as a CW , my only way to survive in combat is my dodges and i was completely unable to use them .
    how can a single bonus companion destroy a complete class? :confused:
    please change this bonus or reduce its proced time.
    Meh, at least you can still use your ranged powers against the enemy that is ranged too:

CW >_> ______________________<-pew-pew->__________________________ <_< HR/CW/DC

In my case it's just like:
    CW/HR uses their ranged powers at me, they get rooted and I start throwing my very limited stacks of CoS at them, hardly getting their HP to 75% and then my deflecting companions/fey thistle boon finish the business resulting in a perma-root ^_^....