test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thunder nothing

jpfm101jpfm101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
I've been investing a little further into my gwf and since I've gotten to the point where I feel really confortable tanking whatever most of the dungeons have to offer, I started feeling like, most of the time, Soulforged is a waste of an enchantment slot.

Therefore, I strated looking for other options.

Thunderhead always seemed like a good offensive alternative since it has a chance to deal damage and stun the mobs being tanked. Wich would result in more damage and additional control.

So I went ahead and bought myself a Lesser Thunderhead just to test it out. The tooltip states that the damage is character level based so I guessed that it would be similar to what a perfect would provide. If it didn't deal the same ammount of damage, at least it would give me and idea on the magnitude of it.

To my astonishment, I found out that it deals a whooping ~150 damage when it procs has you can see on the image log O.O

Thunderhead%20test.png

After seeing this, I can only state that, I would like to see this (and probably most of the remaining armor enchants) looked into and probably buffed. Has they are, they can't really compete has an option against Soulforged.

What do you guys think about this and what can you say about most of the other Armor Enchants?
Post edited by jpfm101 on

Comments

• Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think SF enchantment kills all the ethetics with it's aura. >_<

Also, I agreed that some enchantments like fireburst, thunderhead and frostburn should be buffed as their effects are so useless and the damage is hardly noticable.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    I think SF enchantment kills all the ethetics with it's aura. >_<

Also, I agreed that some enchantments like fireburst, thunderhead and frostburn should be buffed as their effects are so useless and the damage is hardly noticable.

I support this totally! It seems to me all the enchants are sorta Tank Unfriendly!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yup - Had a perfect to test out in PVP. With tenacity and CC resist the perfect stun was <1 second and not even noticable. Also the damage IS higher than a lesser but its still nothing at all... If I recall it was just like 300-400 damage at a once per minute proc.

Needless to say I dropped it faster than a bad habit.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Yup - Had a perfect to test out in PVP. With tenacity and CC resist the perfect stun was <1 second and not even noticable. Also the damage IS higher than a lesser but its still nothing at all... If I recall it was just like 300-400 damage at a once per minute proc.

Needless to say I dropped it faster than a bad habit.

Amazing!

In PVP, the target's HP's are somewhere between 22K and 40K in PVE the target's HP goes much higher.

400 damage points and a small stun on a 40% chance to proc on recieving a Crit (wich is also chance based) and only once a minute can hardly be considered has "damage" or "usefull" xD
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jpfm101 wrote: »
    I've been investing a little further into my gwf and since I've gotten to the point where I feel really confortable tanking whatever most of the dungeons have to offer, I started feeling like, most of the time, Soulforged is a waste of an enchantment slot.

Therefore, I strated looking for other options.

Thunderhead always seemed like a good offensive alternative since it has a chance to deal damage and stun the mobs being tanked. Wich would result in more damage and additional control.

So I went ahead and bought myself a Lesser Thunderhead just to test it out. The tooltip states that the damage is character level based so I guessed that it would be similar to what a perfect would provide. If it didn't deal the same ammount of damage, at least it would give me and idea on the magnitude of it.

To my astonishment, I found out that it deals a whooping ~150 damage when it procs has you can see on the image log O.O

Thunderhead%20test.png

After seeing this, I can only state that, I would like to see this (and probably most of the remaining armor enchants) looked into and probably buffed. Has they are, they can't really compete has an option against Soulforged.

What do you guys think about this and what can you say about most of the other Armor Enchants?

Use Briartwine Perfect Reflect 4% of damage back at attacker.
    In a race aganst mutant CWs any dmg is helpfull.
    But if y want to catch up belive me y have zero chance eq graded cw can outperform y by 6-700 % dmg.
    MY wife 15k"5k power" CW lesser sf lesser p.fire can outperform my 19k "11k power"full pve"dmg based" Destro 6 purple DPS companions + p.enchants in the dps score. I can deal lets say 20-30 k FL on 5 mobs . His cw deal 30-35k shard on more then 5 mobs.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But if y want to catch up belive me y have zero chance eq graded cw can outperform y by 6-700 % dmg.
    MY wife 15k"5k power" CW lesser sf lesser p.fire can outperform my 19k "11k power"full pve"dmg based" Destro 6 purple DPS companions + p.enchants in the dps score. I can deal lets say 20-30 k FL on 5 mobs . His cw deal 30-35k shard on more then 5 mobs.

Just because you are bad doesn't mean that every GWF is bad, this class is more about mechanics not just hit the mobs a couple of times like it used to be when we had bug deep gash, if you want to deal tons of dps and outdps a cw you have work hard for it, not an easy task but still possible.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    apextaoapextao Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2014
    CW can definitely beat GWF if you run Castle Never. Too many **** monsters there which greatly favors CW.

On the other hand, I don't know how someone can even be bad as GWF with how simple it is to play.

The difference in performance come mostly from feat distribution, and here you can be right that a lot of GWF are running suboptimal builds for what they want to do. Although you have to keep in mind a lot of GWF go a more hybrid build, so as to be somewhat more effective in PvP, rather than a full PvE, and the difference in damage potential is huge between them.

Now, back on topic, this isn't the only enchant that's almost useless we have around. They really should do something about rebalancing enchants, nevermind classes.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In my option only 3 armor enchants are realy effective SF ,BS & Briartwine.
    SF is cool if y make a lot mistakes or y are lagging like hell .
    BS is nice for pvp and pve too but not for GF .
    Briartwine is cool for all melee both pvp and pve y can deal dmg multiple dmg 20k or more /sec if y are surrounded by many adds .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I believe you have missed the point of the thread.

I have absolutely no problem with my dps, didn't come here asking for help with it, and honestly I couldn't care less if someone or some class deals more damage than me on a dungeon run for as long as I feel like I'm able to do my job.

I created this thread because as you can see in my original post the Thunderhead (and some of the other armor enchantments) is severely underperforming.

I want to be able to have options, Soulforged is a defensive option wich I belive I don't need most of the time.

Thunderhead would provide an hybrid option since it would provide damage and control, and it would complement my personal build (a balance between offense and defense) better than a purely offensive option like Briartwine.

However, as it is, it remains completely obsolete.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It also looks fantastic, and shouldn't be relegated to the dustbin on the grounds of not being a viable choice. None of the enchants should have to be relegated to the dustbin based on being not-good-enough, but that's the system we have. It's really sad.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If they keep like this and keep ignoring all our suggestions... the game will die.

There is basicly only 1 option in everything. Nearly only 1 good weapon enchant, only 1 best armor enchant.....
    Only one best armor set or less worse......only 1 PVP game type....Always the same fight type....adds..boss..adds...boss...

I'm glad that the game is young...for now they can use it as an argument that they had no time to implement everything.

I hope we get a better armor enchant customisation and diversity.
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Might be a bit off topic, but I am thinking the lack of effectiveness of many enchants (well hoping) is because all thier effects have not come to play yet. I used to think many of the epic dungeons were too difficult for fresh to 60 toons, but now with boons, artifacts, companion active bonus and such a toon without a t2 set can do very well in most epics.

So, after reading that someone was speculating that with Mod 4 and tiamat, they will begin to diversify resistance (like most d&d ) so you will have fire resist, Frost resist, ect....one of the things thak makes tiamat so formidable is getting strong resistance to all 5 heads is almost impossible, so if she cannot burn you, she shocks you, or freezes you, or corrodes you ect...

So say after mod 4 an enchant like thunderhead provides a level of electric immunity/resist (like a base resistance and the 60 second trigger provides 6 second of immunity) and they will suddenly be very viable. The same is true if they move to critters having various type based resist, your flame enchant goes a long way vs frost creature (well, often with resistance comes vulnerability... all of this seems missing from this implementation of D&D)...

on the on hand, I would like to see something like this, but on the other hand the added complexity hurts my brain (thinks back to nwn series or DDO)
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree with the OP, I put on a thunderhead thinking that sounds kinda OK, i'm certain my tank gets crit hit often enough ... honestly though i've never seen anything that looked like a lightning damage nor anything like a stun effect going off. Mine is I believe an normal grade at the moment, was hoping maybe the stun effect might be nice, though the lightning dancing around my body would be neat but good god if armor enchants are just going to be for looks they need to drop the refining process down as the only ones giving any sort of advantage at all seem to be the aforementioned SF, Briar, and Barkshield.

People spend how much in real money or in AD to get these things ranked up and only a few of them armor and weapon wise are really worth going past lesser (in fact i'd say just buy a lesser than even upgrade them). I'm starting to think these enchants really are for cosmetics than functionality (super expensive for that concept) with the exception of the few notable SF and Vorpal enchants.

Most people I think are better off spending on upgrading regular enchants getting them up to 10 than ranking up armor/weapon ones.
  • Options
    bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Normal Thunderhead enchant has been proven to not have an actual proc rate of 10% on crit received like the tooltip says. After quite tedious testing, the proc rate is very close to 2%.

More proprietary BS that ruins this game. I haven't gotten a change to test lesser/greater/perfect, but with normals at least, I've noticed it isn't mentioned on the official websites, forums, or any wikis.

The problem they made was not making thunderhead a proprietary tooltip like many of the boons and items. That way they could tell us 2% is intended and we wouldn't even know their system was broken.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lesser enchantments aren't that great. normals are still not that great. greaters vary and perfects are where you want to be to see any kind of difference. but there are the popular enchants that seem to work. it would be nice to see these get some attention so the others are comparable to the populars.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bucklittle wrote: »
    Normal Thunderhead enchant has been proven to not have an actual proc rate of 10% on crit received like the tooltip says. After quite tedious testing, the proc rate is very close to 2%.

More proprietary BS that ruins this game. I haven't gotten a change to test lesser/greater/perfect, but with normals at least, I've noticed it isn't mentioned on the official websites, forums, or any wikis.

The problem they made was not making thunderhead a proprietary tooltip like many of the boons and items. That way they could tell us 2% is intended and we wouldn't even know their system was broken.

proprietary means of or relating to ownership.

if a tooltip provides a general description such as "a chance at..." something, i'm sure they have their reasons for providing limited information. if a tooltip is wrong, then all you can do is report it as a bug. whether the thunderhead enchantment is intended to be 10% or 2% remains to be confirmed by the devs. if it hasn't been addressed, it's not necessarily a proprietary issue. it may just be that they haven't gotten around to correcting it.

all companies have proprietary materials that are protected by law. internal proprietary content includes trade secrets, software code, patents, SOPs, recipes, etc. this information is protected because the normative usage of products or services provided by these companies do not require the knowledge of it and the release of this information could cause these companies irreparable damage (and not in the way you are thinking).

but in the realm of gaming, trying to figure out those things that you're not being told up front is called theory crafting. theory crafters come to terms with the fact that propriety exists to protect the property of the gaming company and they work around it as best as they can.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In my option only 3 armor enchants are realy effective SF ,BS & Briartwine.
    SF is cool if y make a lot mistakes or y are lagging like hell .
    BS is nice for pvp and pve too but not for GF .
    Briartwine is cool for all melee both pvp and pve y can deal dmg multiple dmg 20k or more /sec if y are surrounded by many adds .

Briartwine = 20K or more /Sec?, what?... I used lesser (2% vs the perfect which reflect 4%) and I felt that it was trash, it didn't reflect the raw damage that was going to you, it was the damage dealt to you, so if someone attack you by 2000, but let's guess that with Damage Resistance and Deflect you receive 500, then the 2% (or 4%) was calculated from the 500, not the 2000, so you would be reflecting 20, yea, 20!!! (with P.Briarwtine), if you get a hit of 10.000 HP you would be reflecting 400!!!.

Briartwine should reflect 5% of the raw damage (at least), also, in my opinion all armor enchant should be reworked a lot to be usefull.