test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

EU server desperately needed!

matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi!

I love the game, with all his little bugs or major faults (i'm a GF too :rolleyes: ), but as long as we don't have a server of our own here on the old continent we don't stand a chance and game play is really reduced.

Did the Beholder HE in Icewind now, was cool, finally got a drop, but many around me and me too, mainly EU players, we died about 5 times, i couldn't simply dodge or run away, the lag was so huge, with that many people around.

(Yes, i checked everything, like latency, my settings, my connection, so no problem here.)

PVP is also a pain sometimes, depends on how many peeps are online and playing.

Bye!
The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
David Icke

Post edited by matthiasthehun76 on

Comments

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've already said this in several threads:

Cryptic has ALWAYS had a single shard architecture, consisting of multiple servers. Always. Long before the PWE merger, even. That's also why there's an EU proxy in the launcher options. Saying "we need an EU server!!" only invites discussions better left outside these forums, and in many cases wouldn't even remedy the issue, as geographical proximity isn't the only determining factor with game latency. Your bandwidth also has a lot to do with that, and something being stuck in the route can affect your connection regardless of what your ISP is telling you that your speed is. ISPs throttling traffic along certain ports isn't unheard of--that's why we say to perform a nettest check in the latency sticky.

Nor is it an inexpensive or simple matter to maintain two separate datacenters and a completely new shard. (The servers for the RU shard are not paid for or maintained by Cryptic, but rather, the company for whom PWE has licensed for their games in Russia, as licensees are responsible for the maintenance of their own network infrastructure.).

Before you assume that the problem is the server, please check and post the results of the tests outlined in the rubberbanding and lag sticky. It's not either "your modem/network/PC or Cryptic's server!!" Usually it's somewhere between points A and B.

Now, as long as this doesn't turn into an inflammatory "European vs. American customers" thread I'm willing to leave it open. But keep in mind that the bottom line is that Cryptic's current setup has been how they have operated their games for years and that isn't likely to change. Regional servers are not a cure-all, nor are they inexpensive to maintain. Even if you looked at PWE's other library of games, there's usually only one or two servers compared to multiple ones for a Cryptic shard--and not every PWE game has regional servers.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I only have issues with lagging and rubberbanding from time to time. Mostly after a new event started or a new module was released - just like everyone else. Also sometimes other people from Germany complain about lagging while I don't have any issues.

I don't think it's as simple as saying it being caused by the fact we're living in Europe. Therefore it is questionable if a dedicated European server would solve these issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    There was no intention in my mind to bring up eu vs american players, just expressing-, if i may- a desire.

I will be willing to even pay some together with other players to crowd fund a server!

My ISP is not the best, but OK and my knowledge regarding IT too.

I don't talk with my ISP, no need too.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've already said this in several threads:

Cryptic has ALWAYS had a single shard architecture, consisting of multiple servers. Always. Long before the PWE merger, even. That's also why there's an EU proxy in the launcher options. Saying "we need an EU server!!" only invites discussions better left outside these forums, and in many cases wouldn't even remedy the issue, as geographical proximity isn't the only determining factor with game latency. Your bandwidth also has a lot to do with that, and something being stuck in the route can affect your connection regardless of what your ISP is telling you that your speed is. ISPs throttling traffic along certain ports isn't unheard of--that's why we say to perform a nettest check in the latency sticky.

Nor is it an inexpensive or simple matter to maintain two separate datacenters and a completely new shard. (The servers for the RU shard are not paid for or maintained by Cryptic, but rather, the company for whom PWE has licensed for their games in Russia, as licensees are responsible for the maintenance of their own network infrastructure.).

Before you assume that the problem is the server, please check and post the results of the tests outlined in the rubberbanding and lag sticky. It's not either "your modem/network/PC or Cryptic's server!!" Usually it's somewhere between points A and B.

Now, as long as this doesn't turn into an inflammatory "European vs. American customers" thread I'm willing to leave it open. But keep in mind that the bottom line is that Cryptic's current setup has been how they have operated their games for years and that isn't likely to change. Regional servers are not a cure-all, nor are they inexpensive to maintain. Even if you looked at PWE's other library of games, there's usually only one or two servers compared to multiple ones for a Cryptic shard--and not every PWE game has regional servers.

The EU proxy is terrible. It makes gameplay worse not better. I'm not sure how they have set it up, but it needs a serious looking at.
    Before you repeat the check your own settings....I play Aion and Tera on US servers from the UK here with no problems. My settings are set up for each game and generally work extremely well. This mega server response doesn't actually help at all. People are experiencing lag in the game, which is affecting their play. If their isn't a working solution then it's not surprising when their frustrations overcome their desire to log on again.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    You wouldn't take the same route to drive to your mothers house as you would to drive to work. The same concept applies to internet usage.

Whenever somebody says "I do ____ and have no problem" it literally means absolutely nothing. Another game would have a server in a completely different location and that makes a huge difference. It is not so much how close the server is as much as it is which hubs you are going through to get to it.

As an example Verizon customers are frequently put through a specific hub in the Boston area which is god awful. Seriously I want to drive there cut their power so I don't have to deal with this particular hub that has absolutely atrocious service. A friend of mine lives less than a mile from my house but uses a different ISP and has no issues connecting to Neverwinter because his ISP uses a different route to reach the exact same server.

This is why we always push you guys to check the traceroute for any anomalies.
    Distance has not been the key factor in latency for at least a decade now. It plays a role but it is not the be all and end all cause anymore. It is what services you have to travel through to get to the destination which play the biggest roles and normally these issues do not lay at either end but somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . EU ISP's are notorious for having throttled bandwith, even during prime time hours. There has been much in the works to change this and even some changes have already happened. I would first look to your ISP, as chances are, connection issues have nothing to do with Cryptic/PWE's game server(s). If you cannot find an ISP in your area that doesn't treat its customers like 2nd-class citizens, then I would go to your leaders and plead for changes. Again, things are already in motion in this regard across the EU.

. . . It has been a common misconception among MMO Players since the mid-90's that connection issues to a particular game is the fault of said game. Granted, few are and are usually corrected promptly. Most however, especially ones that seem to always happen, despite game updates, are the fault if ISP's themselves or Data Routes/Hubs. Many blame the MMO without even giving thought to their own ISP or the Data Nodes/Routes taken to get to the Server they are "having trouble with." As well, many people never even think to check their own PCs (or don't know how or even know to) for malware, spyware, and viruses, which will hijack your bandwith for their own devious purposes.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    If you cannot find an ISP in your area that doesn't treat its customers like 2nd-class citizens, then I would go to your leaders and plead for changes.

It's also worth keeping in mind even if your ISP does not throttle bandwidth it is entirely likely that you will end up going through a throttled network to get to the game server anyway and your connection will only be as fast as the weakest link in that chain.

For instance I have perfectly fine internet connection through about 7 hubs. Then I reach Cogent which are 3 hubs of 'you guys do not deserve to be in business' and then a couple of more hubs going to Cryptic Studios with excellent internet service. No matter what I do even though neither myself of Cryptic directly use Cogent's services my connection to the game is always going to be subject to the whims of Cogent no matter how much bandwidth I pay for on my end or how much bandwidth Cryptic pays for on their end.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    It's also worth keeping in mind even if your ISP does not throttle bandwidth it is entirely likely that you will end up going through a throttled network to get to the game server anyway and your connection will only be as fast as the weakest link in that chain.

For instance I have perfectly fine internet connection through about 7 hubs. Then I reach Cogent which are 3 hubs of 'you guys do not deserve to be in business' and then a couple of more hubs going to Cryptic Studios with excellent internet service. No matter what I do even though neither myself of Cryptic directly use Cogent's services my connection to the game is always going to be subject to the whims of Cogent no matter how much bandwidth I pay for on my end or how much bandwidth Cryptic pays for on their end.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Internet traffic is not a straight line. Data goes through many hubs and even across other ISP's networks and when it goes back to you, it might not even take the same path, going through different hubs and isp networks to get back to you. If one ISP doesn't throttle but the traffic is going through a hub, relay or ISP that does, well yea... you'll get throttled. Trace routes and pings can help to spot this. The ISPs have the power to change this and can influence other ISPs to change also. It starts with the user complaining to their ISP and then taking the matters to their National Leaders if change doesn't occur. As I said, things are already in motion for the better across the EU, so now is the perfect time to jump aboard and keep things moving in the EU.
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Whatever the green staff above is pretending, being far from the server can never be a benefit intrinsically. Out of curisity, did the admins ever try to trace the choice of classes given the region? Some classes are less affected by lag. Are there more permas in Europe?
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    Whatever the green staff above is pretending, being far from the server can never be a benefit intrinsically. Out of curisity, did the admins ever try to trace the choice of classes given the region? Some classes are less affected by lag. Are there more permas in Europe?
    . . . Distance only matters if the hardware and software cannot handle it. This is where your ISPs come in. I can connect TO Australia just fine, or anywhere in the world for that matter. Getting data BACK however, usually is quite apparent that it is being throttled somewhere outside the US.

. . . To give an example of how crazy routes work on the internet, I was connecting to the West Coast once, Redwood California to be specific, from Southern Michigan. Not only did I get hopped to the East Coast but I also got hopped through London, into Russia, then down through China and then across to California. My route back however went east across the US and staight to me. When silly things like this happens, it usually means a Router Hub went down or a connecting ISP is having serious issues.

. . . To say that one class gets more "lag" than others is just plain silly. Lag and Graphics issues are not the same thing and IF one class is getting more "lag" than others, it's probably something to do with one's own system or a game bug in specific powers or effects that has nothing to do with the internet.
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Just wondering why other MMOs have differente servers (US, RU, EU etc), if it's only related to personal ISP. They could just cut the costs for many-server maintenance if it's proven there's no beneficial effect whatsoever ping wise.
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    drinnthdrinnth Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Depends on the internet bylaws of many different countries as to whether or not their citizens can access data nodes outside of their borders for data intensive purposes. In this case, publishers have to create or sell the rights to have a server farm locale to the player base, ie it must be hosted within the country or players in that country would never get to play the game. For example, China has its own completely separate servers for most international games. If no server is placed within China's borders, your game does not sell there.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 847 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That's precisely the point. By having local servers (EU, Asia, Australia, where-have-you), you cut down on the number of connections needed, lowering the likelihood of hitting a (or dare I say, more than one) throttled network, speeding up peoples connections and resulting in marginally happier customers.

... Personally I'm from the UK and don't mind - I don't play to be competitive, so it doesn't particularly effect me.

(I don't think its worth the expense of having more servers, but pretending there is no effect is just... Silly).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Just wondering why other MMOs have differente servers (US, RU, EU etc), if it's only related to personal ISP. They could just cut the costs for many-server maintenance if it's proven there's no beneficial effect whatsoever ping wise.

Because, despite what is being smoke screened here, they recognize that local area servers do improve the situation. Re this mega-server nonsense - another game also has the mega server set up, yet they have recognized the need to move the eu server to a more local area.

It is only companies that do not want to spend the money who attempt to deny this basic fact.
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
  • Options
    gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2014
    ok listen up because i cant stand the answers from mods
    i have been involved in the past in mmo games deving and i happen to know some stuff
    these guys here are mostly forum mods who are trying to justify the company which is not bad but...
    my ping today is 200-2000 and ofc at some points i cant move
    and they want us to play pvp with this situation and spend money
    yes i have spent real money
    yes i like this game
    no i cant play this game anymore
    i have published my tracert in the forum thread and as you see there there is HUGE problem AFTER my signal arrives in usa so its not actually my fault or my isp and also i have a fast path line etc etc
    my download from any site or fileservers etc is 15mbps at least and my ping in all other games with eu servers is tops 80ms
    i have played in games with 500 vs 500 in the same instance (siege) and not laged at all why? because they had a mediocre eu server and i live in greece
    but these guys here speak the truth = the point about eu server not being inexpensive
    well i will inform you ppl that it is not really expensive
    it costs a few hundred euros to keep an good eu server that will solve most of our problems and keep me playing for ever here
    they dont want to invest any more
    they prefer to make other games to satisfy other ppl and not make this more playable
    many mediocre games instead of 1-2 good ones
    thats the spirit go on
    but dont cry when we seek the chance to leave this with so many games going live this year
    and reason??? NOT playable why dont you understand?
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    To say that one class gets more "lag" than others is just plain silly. Lag and Graphics issues are not the same thing and IF one class is getting more "lag" than others, it's probably something to do with one's own system or a game bug in specific powers or effects that has nothing to do with the internet.

I think his point is that a perma rogue can deal with lag a bit better because being invisible, you're not going to have to dodge at exactly the right time and things like that.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    lyaise wrote: »
    Because, despite what is being smoke screened here, they recognize that local area servers do improve the situation. Re this mega-server nonsense - another game also has the mega server set up, yet they have recognized the need to move the eu server to a more local area.

It is only companies that do not want to spend the money who attempt to deny this basic fact.

+1 to this guy who also tell the truth
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited June 2014
    i play 2 games neverwinter and league of legends

1. in neverwinter i often lag and my ms is arround 200 never less
    2. in league of legends europe server i never lag and my ms is arround 38-42 ms so in conclusion is not our internet fault the server is located way to far from europe
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    +1 to this guy who also tell the truth
    Nothing I said was untrue. Please, show me my incorrect statements instead of just flat out insinuating otherwise. I never said there wouldn't be a benefit to having an EU server. Do try and understand what was stated instead of flying off the handle and proclaiming false statements. By the way, opinions are neither true nor false, they're opinions... and the post you replied the above quote with is an opinion as is your quoted statement of it being truth.
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited June 2014
    and yes we need europeans servers with the posibility to transfer to characters there
  • Options
    vascodergamervascodergamer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The thing is simple physics: if the game servers are 9000 km away from me (e.g. the distance between Los Angeles and Aachen in Germany), the speed of light imposes a round-trip-time of about 90ms to the game server and back to me. In addition to that all the processing of all intermediate routers, the client and the game server add to that and the route is probably not a direct one but rather 15000 km long. As a result, in PvP I have a huge disadvantage of about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds of missing reaction times. And don't tell me 0.2 seconds don't matter in PvP! It is the difference between dodging at the right time or be the first to start an encounter.

If there where game servers in e.g. Amsterdam, i had a real change in PvP against US players. And to be honest: in Battlefield do you choose a server with a ping of 100ms or 200ms? No, I would neither if one with 20ms or 30ms is available ...

Greets Vasco
  • Options
    firstdegreeburnsfirstdegreeburns Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    The thing is simple physics: if the game servers are 9000 km away from me (e.g. the distance between Los Angeles and Aachen in Germany), the speed of light imposes a round-trip-time of about 90ms to the game server and back to me. In addition to that all the processing of all intermediate routers, the client and the game server add to that and the route is probably not a direct one but rather 15000 km long. As a result, in PvP I have a huge disadvantage of about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds of missing reaction times. And don't tell me 0.2 seconds don't matter in PvP! It is the difference between dodging at the right time or be the first to start an encounter.

If there where game servers in e.g. Amsterdam, i had a real change in PvP against US players. And to be honest: in Battlefield do you choose a server with a ping of 100ms or 200ms? No, I would neither if one with 20ms or 30ms is available ...

Greets Vasco

Agreed the speed of light is a good example
    lil-TriXz-0f-h0p3, lil-Sp3llst4r-0f-h0p3 | Guild = play2win
  • Options
    xnordicxxnordicx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Problem is not realy that we need a EU server if Cryptic had used another US host for the server it would probably been alot better Cogent network is known for beening bad for games i think they even was part of why codemasters had to shut down and sell Archlord to Webzen because the server was unplayable due to rubberbanding and it was also hosted on Cogent network.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nothing I said was untrue. Please, show me my incorrect statements instead of just flat out insinuating otherwise. I never said there wouldn't be a benefit to having an EU server. Do try and understand what was stated instead of flying off the handle and proclaiming false statements. By the way, opinions are neither true nor false, they're opinions... and the post you replied the above quote with is an opinion as is your quoted statement of it being truth.

Well the non-opinion part of my post was completely true, the relocation of another games' EU mega-server to the EU. That games' EU server is currently in the US, and the company has recognized the need to move this.

Does it cost more money than leaving it with the US one - of course, the transfer cost, then the cost of the local support infrastructure. But they have decided to do it anyway, acknowledging the need for this.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    an au server would be nice, but im not so delusional to think pwe would actually have one.

i do find it odd though that ffxiv has none of the ruberbanding and lag yet it has higher quality graphics and alot more going on in the background.
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Greets Vasco

+1 You got it man!

Every well educated person, being it in any kind of scientific knowledge must agree on your example.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke

• Options
    edited June 2014

you my friend didnt say something that was not true
    but you said many things irrelative to our subject here trying to mislead the players
    and why is that? because you are trying to focus us on our isp
    well trust me its not our isp
    i have done the same tracert that i did from my pc from my university with 100mbps connection etc etc and guess what
    it had the same exactly results with the server's ip as i had
    also i played many games in the past they all had the same problem = if the server was in us it was laging like hell, while in eu nothing
    its natural nothing strange here
    ofcourse there are some cases that our isp is crapy and must be changed but here we are talking about massive problems
    even my friends from uk have 200-300 ping but they just dont care too much cause they dont pvp lol

so dont be a politician , next time please have the guts to admit this:
    our company has this policy end of the story
    they made the calculations and maybe its not in their interest to invest on an eu server, maybe they dont think they will benefit from this although i think they are wrong
    in any case just say it and dont be shy so we can adjust our actions and moves
    its fair for all the ppl who invest time and money on their pleasure
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1) Zeb does not speak officially for the company, so saying he should just say "Cryptic has this policy..." is completely inaccurate and inflammatory.

2) Unless you're getting latency ONLY on the final hop to the actual server, the matter is out of Cryptic's immediate control.

3) Regardless of the game, Cryptic has always had a single shard architecture. (For those saying "but but but they have a Russian shard..." that shard isn't maintained or owned by Cryptic/PWE but rather the Russian licensee for PWE games).

Again, saying "this game works fine so that one should as well" is like saying you should be able to drive just as well to Paris as you can to Berlin even though the routes are completely different. If there's an issue anywhere in the route from point A to B, then I don't care how close the servers are to you, or what kind of uber expensive or fast connection you have, there are going to be latency problems. Unless you're actually physically plugged hardline into the server itself, you simply cannot say it's only the server's fault.

Now, you may all continue to make suggestions and plead your case but if this thread continues to be argumentative and insinuate that Cryptic favors one segment of their playerbase over another, I will close this down.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    mestremaxmestremax Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2014
    The point is that several new games are taking the same posture PWE/Cryptic placing all players in one shard to increase volume needed for many functions of the game become increasingly faster, for example the PvP queue. I agree with that.

With the division of a U.S. and other EU shard the number of players of both would decrease a lot to make the most grueling game for everyone.

The issue of Russian shard is very simple anyone who has played on a Russian server like me, knows that very well, most Russians do not speak English and is preferred to play with other Russians is because of ease with the language, not the latency of the game.
This discussion has been closed.