What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My first impressions on the "emergent" open world "PvP"

124»

Comments

• qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    On the other hand,
    I don't grasp the strange idea that a new level 60 player has to "earn" his PvP gear through PvP playing.
    He is matched without PvP gear against opponents which are far beyond the GS he can have at that moment.
    I don't get that sadistic notion.
    Just food for the PvP elites, I guess.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    On the other hand,
    I don't grasp the strange idea that a new level 60 player has to "earn" his PvP gear through PvP playing.
    He is matched without PvP gear against opponents which are far beyond the GS he can have at that moment.
    I don't get that sadistic notion.
    Just food for the PvP elites, I guess.
    You can buy PvP gear on the AH. Or earn blues with PvP stats very quickly through play. And some of the better PvE gear is not far below entry level PvP gear as everyone gets some base Tenacity when entering PvP.

The lousy matchmaking is another issue.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Why do you single out nodes? So we ignore PVE-exclusive rewards? If you want to complain about PVP rewards being better, then let's talk about it equally.

What about fomorian gear? How about we let fomorian and dread ring gear drop in PVP domination and open world pvp then we can increase the nodes in PVE areas

Do you really want equality in rewards or do you just want more black ice nodes while not to going into the flagged areas?

I singled out nodes because that was what I was talking about. Getting (what I am told) 30% more black ice from nodes in PvP areas.

I you read my other posts, I have always thought that PvP gear should be better than PvE gear for PvPing. And the opposite should be true also, PvE gear should be better than PvP gear for PvEing.

As for equality in rewards... As stated it should be different. And I don't even want the black ice nodes. I just do not like trying to entice PvE into PvP areas. If PvP cannot sustain itself, then let it die.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I singled out nodes because that was what I was talking about. Getting (what I am told) 30% more black ice from nodes in PvP areas.

I you read my other posts, I have always thought that PvP gear should be better than PvE gear for PvPing. And the opposite should be true also, PvE gear should be better than PvP gear for PvEing.

As for equality in rewards... As stated it should be different. And I don't even want the black ice nodes. I just do not like trying to entice PvE into PvP areas. If PvP cannot sustain itself, then let it die.

PVP makes the game a ton of money. I think much more per player than pve. It only makes sense to entice pve players into pvp so as to create more of the kind of micro-transaction consumers that they want.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    PVP makes the game a ton of money. I think much more per player than pve. It only makes sense to entice pve players into pvp so as to create more of the kind of micro-transaction consumers that they want.

Here we go again...
    Care to show proof that PvP makes more than PvE? Or is this just your opinion?

Again, I wish they would make the entire game open PvP with NO SAFE ZONES. The we could see how well PvP actually does.
    My guess... The game would fold in a couple of months.
    Narayan
  • monk1955monk1955 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A big group implies more than a party. If its just 5 people, they can be easily killed by a rival group.

I can name dungeons and other PVE areas where you can get Fomorian/Dread Ring gear and also PVE/PVP boons.

Name a PVP area where you can get Fomorian/Ancient/Dread Ring gear.

Your assumption is that there are an equal number of pve and pvp. If this game was only pvp, 90% of the people wouldn't play it anymore. That's why pve should have more than pvp!
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Here we go again...
    Care to show proof that PvP makes more than PvE? Or is this just your opinion?

Again, I wish they would make the entire game open PvP with NO SAFE ZONES. The we could see how well PvP actually does.
    My guess... The game would fold in a couple of months.

There is no proof, but since all dungeons are pretty easy, the only motivation for a PVE guy to gear up is pride or wanting to clear a dungeon faster.

The motivation for gearing up in PVP is sheer survival.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I think what they need to do is make the whole game PvP... No safe zones... That way we could see if PvPers could actually keep this game afloat. /sarcasm off

I'd guess if Moonstone Mask VIP was PvP enabled, it would keep afloat. Some serious fashionistas in those halls
    edited May 2014
    There is no proof, but since all dungeons are pretty easy, the only motivation for a PVE guy to gear up is pride or wanting to clear a dungeon faster.

The motivation for gearing up in PVP is sheer survival.

Spoken like a true PvPer. :) There are other reasons for playing this game, other then gearing up.
    Narayan
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »

You think?

Isn't much of the gear for PvP bought with glory so therefore can't be pay-to-win'ed?

PvP players don't need extra bags.
    They don't need pricy companions.

A "pay-to-win" PvE player will get all of those things.
    There is simply more to buy as a PvE player.

I have no numbers or knowledge to back up my belief, but just based on personal observations, I suspect the PvE only players vastly outnumber the PvP only players.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the reality is the polar opposite of what you are saying.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yarknarf wrote: »
    You think?

Isn't much of the gear for PvP bought with glory so therefore can't be pay-to-win'ed?

I have no numbers or knowledge to back up my belief, but just based on personal observations, I suspect the PvE only players vastly outnumber the PvP only players.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the reality is the polar opposite of what you are saying.

1 r10 or perfect enchant costs more than all bag slots. Pets now help and are mandatory for top tier pvp players in open world. i would venture to guess more of your whales are pvp players. a full decked out pvp toon can cost hundreds of dollars to finish, and they make paltry sums of gold/ad.

So right back at ya.
  • thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    yarknarf wrote: »
    You think?

While I agree that non-Pvp playerbase is ALWAYS the majority in almost any MMO (and brings the dough to buy shinies), still in PvP it's important to get good companions and good mounts.
    PvP also needs enchantments and expensive ones at that, sooo AD: I do not think that all the pvp peeps have the patience to wait to rack up the amount (millions) so my guess is that a good amount of them is using zen->AD.
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    My take;

As a group and due to sheer numbers, PVE brings in more money.

Individually, PVPers spend more.

Just like the real world, your middle class drives your economy, even though they cannot buy mansions and supercars (R8s +, Perfects, 5 BiS companions).
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • randumb2randumb2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All in all I'd say they're doing as good a job possible on PvP considering the type of game this is.

In my experience a game can either be an exellent PvE game OR an exellent PvP game, seldom both. For a game like this which is based on doing dungeon runs, OP gear is a prerequisite for success, but for PvP, to have especially "open world" PvP, you have to have equipment balance or you simply end up with a bunch of gankers which doen't attract players.

With the design of this game the developers made the right choice in creating an open PvP area within the larger zone.

One concern I do have is the fear of pointless nerfing to appease the small PvP community in the game. I've played other games that went a different route and created separate servers for PvP and PvE, and nerfs that may have improved the PvP server seriously messed up the PvE experience.

I really like neverwinter and hope, aside from some minor tweaking that may be nessesary, and of course new content, the developers don't make any drastic changes to the game especially to appease a vocal minority, I've seen too many games destroy themselves that way.