test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My first impressions on the "emergent" open world "PvP"

proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
It's dumb. Just as dumb as we all thought it will be. Noobs and pugs barely being able to kill a single PvP player in bands of 10+ people, always sticking together like the pugs they are, always dying in 2 rotations as soon as you isolate them.

A great mode for trolling and creating frustration, very good tool in the hands of the sweet community Neverwinter has.

Now that I've spoken my mind, I'm off to play my perma.
Post edited by proneification on

Comments

• hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I think it's awesome. The new PVP Heroic Encounter is just like a brand new domination map, and I think there's another one once you unlock the other zone.

Random fights, companions, and random NPCs joining in make it all the more fun.

And if there's a zerg on one side that's particularly dominating, just change instances. No problem.

After being stuck playing PVP in only 2 instances with the great combat system this game has, I think this mod is a Godsend.

My only wish is that they continue to expand on the PVP in this game.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If there's two thing pvp needs its randomness and haves and have nots. Anything to make skill and game sense irrelevant. Or the opposite of that in every competitive game ever.
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Proneification,

How are PvP spec'd classes that are not "top tier" holding up? Example, I'm not fully decked out(gwf) but where I'm really behind is companions...haven't finished my selection nor are any of them upgraded.
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I think what they need to do is make the whole game PvP... No safe zones... That way we could see if PvPers could actually keep this game afloat. /sarcasm off
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    pherrow wrote: »
    Proneification,

How are PvP spec'd classes that are not "top tier" holding up? Example, I'm not fully decked out(gwf) but where I'm really behind is companions...haven't finished my selection nor are any of them upgraded.

I only have PvP centric companions on my TR. I think this class really shines in the new zone because it can troll people way better, and if you pay a bit of attention, you will never die. I did enter the zone with my GWF but other than a cheap stone she doesn't have anything for open world PvP. I killed a few, got zerged a few times without any chances to escape by toons that lose 3/4 HP from an IBS crit... but when they're a pack of 7-8, you'll die anyway.

Strangely enough, the PvP zones are quite dead. Changed a few instances to find people. In one instance I was alone against 7-8. I think most people run HEs.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If there's two thing pvp needs its randomness and haves and have nots. Anything to make skill and game sense irrelevant. Or the opposite of that in every competitive game ever.

If you don't think random fights happening is fun, then you don't like open-world PVP.

I would like more strategic open world pvp implemented later like RvR but I'm not counting on it.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • axecornelliusaxecornellius Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How can we have a balance PvP when we have unbalances factions?
  • cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I only have PvP centric companions on my TR. I think this class really shines in the new zone because it can troll people way better, and if you pay a bit of attention, you will never die. I did enter the zone with my GWF but other than a cheap stone she doesn't have anything for open world PvP. I killed a few, got zerged a few times without any chances to escape by toons that lose 3/4 HP from an IBS crit... but when they're a pack of 7-8, you'll die anyway.

Strangely enough, the PvP zones are quite dead. Changed a few instances to find people. In one instance I was alone against 7-8. I think most people run HEs.

It's quite dead because most people didn't do Sharander or Dread Campaign and since nobody knew that was going to be a requirement everyone is jumping at the chance to do them now.
  • rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    It's quite dead because most people didn't do Sharander or Dread Campaign and since nobody knew that was going to be a requirement everyone is jumping at the chance to do them now.
    You think it's dead because over the past 6 months people didn't do two weeks worth of daily quests? Hell, one was bugged and you could have bought a day for 30k AD.
  • forumnamesarelamforumnamesarelam Member Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014

I think that's baloney.

Most people are afraid of open world PvP, I think only a small subset of people are interested in it and right now since it's day one, the lure of all that black ice down in the PvP area isn't tugging at people yet - maybe that will change.

I spent about an hour down there mining black ice this morning. Got 4 kills and basically "solod" the domination type game for my side against 2 other players from the ten towns faction. Then I plopped down and mined a few thousand black ice from the "motherload" that spawned in our base camp.

I don't know if this is a lot of black ice or not, but I got about 10k doing that this morning. Didn't take long at all - so maybe this will attract people to the area?
  • slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    They fail open zone PVP by having too much instances, so some instance consist like only 5 players total within the zone.

And the lack of unique reward pretty much means no one would willing to do any organize group battle in general.

I can assume some PVP top guild would try pull that off but for the majority all you gonna get in open zone is get ganked by the wolf pack...
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Yep. Too many instances. Good news is this is an easy fix. Just limit the instances
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2014

'Preciate the info.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I think it's awesome. The new PVP Heroic Encounter is just like a brand new domination map, and I think there's another one once you unlock the other zone.

Random fights, companions, and random NPCs joining in make it all the more fun.

And if there's a zerg on one side that's particularly dominating, just change instances. No problem.

After being stuck playing PVP in only 2 instances with the great combat system this game has, I think this mod is a Godsend.

My only wish is that they continue to expand on the PVP in this game.

This, this, and more this.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited May 2014
    Listen, all these complaints are also present in the current PVP. Some classes are overpowered, people can wage an arms race (elixirs etc etc) to gain stat boosts in PVP.

A lot of it isn't the most fair situation, but don't act like this is exclusive to the module 3 PVP when it happens in regular PVP and has been happening for months now.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Listen, all these complaints are also present in the current PVP. Some classes are overpowered, people can wage an arms race (elixirs etc etc) to gain stat boosts in PVP.

A lot of it isn't the most fair situation, but don't act like this is exclusive to the module 3 PVP when it happens in regular PVP and has been happening for months now.

Your right and the arms race of mod 3 will be epic. Comps, black ice gear, more comps, pots out the butt. The cool thing is the social dynamic. I think that will be key. You have wolf packs but you also have well organized guild premades to balance them out. I am loving this part of mod3 and really hope the crowds in dr and shar get their boons quick to fill out the instances.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think what they need to do is make the whole game PvP... No safe zones... That way we could see if PvPers could actually keep this game afloat. /sarcasm off

The best idea! If i have a big mouth only pvp-er, i just invite him to join me in a dungeon, you guys surly guessed it, none of them took my invitation. I like some pvp too, but d&d is about dungeons as the name says, not pvp.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think that's baloney.

Most people are afraid of open world PvP, I think only a small subset of people are interested in it

You're half right, its a bad game experience and when I want to pvp I play real pvp games, mostly counterstrike. There is however a small subset of people interested in it and my suspicion is they are the people who can't deal in competitive games
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So far I think it's terrible. Most encounters are 1 vs 5+ or 5+ vs 1. You either roflstomp or get roflstomped. I hate to say it up even GG is better than this. At least there you had at least 19-20 people on your team. Here, you often end up being the only one in your faction.

And best yet, you now take damage from PVP deaths.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My impression is that there are not enough people playing PVP right now. I think this is because the instances are limited to 30v30, and you don't chose when you enter the instance whether you plan to play to PVP or PVE, and more people want to try out the PVE stuff than the PVP zone right now, so out of a maximum of 60 people in a zone you maybe have 12 that want to enter the PVP area, and no way of evening those 12 out amongst the 2 teams in the PVP zone. My short experience was that the PVP zone was either entirely empty, or it consisted of 6-10 players on one side killing a few solo players as they wandered into the zone. I did not see any real PVP battles consisting of more than 2 players on each side in my short time in the zone.
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    it is fun, but i think it should be the entire map. the pvp area is way too small... and also, it should be allowed to change faction once a day...:(
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
    edited May 2014
    it is fun, but i think it should be the entire map. the pvp area is way too small... and also, it should be allowed to change faction once a day...:(

Agreed. Faction changing is a joke. If a faction fills up before some of your other guildmates come online, you are forced to go against them.

This is pretty discourages any long-term guild vs guild or team vs team activity. There is no continuity.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    it is fun, but i think it should be the entire map. the pvp area is way too small...
    I think Cryptic probably wanted their new Module to be used by more than the tiny minority of players who enjoy open world PvP.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Technically it can be the entire map; flag yourself and now you can be killed anywhere in the map. As to why its a bad idea to force the map to be 100% open world PvP:
    I think Cryptic probably wanted their new Module to be used by more than the tiny minority of players who enjoy open world PvP.
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Im a monoplayer. kind of disappointed i have to lvl up another char for the other artefact though lol!
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Im a monoplayer. kind of disappointed i have to lvl up another char for the other artefact though lol!

Lucky us with GWFs that we already have the best artifact though :)
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The great thing about it is that if you don't like it, you don't have to do it,
    edited May 2014
    Meh its nothing new from regular PVP.

People constantly have to buy elixirs and potions to gain stat advantages in regular PVP.
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I am disappointed with the open world pvp...too many instances...so few people.
    Can't change instances to go to where there are more people in an easy way....

WE switched to Arcane so we would have more people to fight....but then it seems many others switched too...so often times there are maybe 2 people of the opposite faction somewhere on the pvp map...but 20 of your faction.

You can organize with your guild to meet with another guild or big group of people, it takes some time, but it is fun, however open world pvp should be more interactive than this...I get bored everytime we go in and try to get our pvp campaign stuff done.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014

Are you mad? The whole map open to PVP with PVE content tied into it? Enjoy the herd of GWFs and TRs waiting at the gates to batter anything that walks through there. Also, have fun when you get ganked while trying to do your PVE dailies.

A full PVP map should be something separate and have no PVE content so as not to subject non-PVPers and poorly geared people to thrashings.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.