test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Currency to Upgrade Companion

pyroknightx7pyroknightx7 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
34o7j28.png

hwaht
Post edited by pyroknightx7 on

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Companion Upgrade Token

and to answer your next question the Frozen Crystal Lockbox.

and I don't know the drop rate.
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Frozen Crystal Lockbox may contain a Companion Fortification Kit, which in turn may contain a companion upgrade token.

My guess is it will be easier and cheaper to upgrade companions using AD.

BTW. one of the developers stated a while back that they wanted to come up with a more clever idea to reduce companion upgrade costs. This seems to be what they came up with. Very clever - unfortunately not clever for us ;-)
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What is that?

It is an incredibly lame addition to the game , they said they were looking into reducing upgrade costs and this is what they came up with , talk about out of touch.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited May 2014
    I had 3 companion fortification kits in the 30 lockboxes I opened. Two had 5 experience books (1000XP for companion), the other one had 3 rank 6 XP runestones for companions (3.9% more XP). I'd say it would take a lot of boxes to be able to upgrade a pet.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    What Cryptic does makes absolutely no sense tbh.
    They were supposed to reduce the AD cost of pets to match the prices from Zen Store but instead they added a new runestone with every companion purchase from Zen store further making upgrading less appealing.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wait... so not only do you need these super rare tokens as an alternative to paying ADs to upgrade a companion, but you need a ton of them? Ugh!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    We don't know if this is their end-result for what they want to do to reduce companion upgrade cost. Let's not jump to conclusions. As far as I am aware, the future of Mount and Companion Upgrading is still on the table/in development.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    At the current state it is lame and more expensive to upgrade via tokens. Would it be like the artifact chest that you have a small chance for an companion upgrade item (no token, the real thing) and could sell it or use it for yourself i would say: Yes a good idea and even more a reason to open chests.
    At the current state i was like: WTF??!!11 Are you serious?
    I mean 90 tokens to upgrade and you only get like 3 tokens from opening 50 companion boxes....
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There must have been some kind of big mistake on the devs part... this wasn't properly tested (as lockboxes weren't released early on preview), and the new companion upgrade cost in tokens is huge (you'd need to open thousands of lockboxes for just a minor upgrade, certainly you'll get several purple companion drops way before you get enough tokens for a white-to-green upgrade).
  • johnnyquantumjohnnyquantum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I won't be upgrading any companions at the current rates.
  • isammaxisammax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If they want to reduce upgrade price, why don't they just reduce the cost in AD?
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited May 2014
    isammax wrote: »
    If they want to reduce upgrade price, why don't they just reduce the cost in AD?

You would think that is the most logical solution and the easiest way to do it. But this will not make more money for them. So they created another form of currency....
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I said it before and I say it again: Its to expensive to get good companions over and over again with every new char u make. I'm not wasting another dime in this game just because its so lame that I cant move the companions I bought, upgraded, leveled from a char I never play to my new char.

Its impossible to spend so much time and zen/AD on 5 companions on every char. So I'm stuck with a disadvantage because I don't have any companions. Lets see how long the game is fun to play when you know you have a huge disadvantage.

For every new class/char I make, the worse they get since I cant afford to buy/upgrade everything over and over again.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    karakla1 wrote: »
    At the current state it is lame and more expensive to upgrade via tokens. Would it be like the artifact chest that you have a small chance for an companion upgrade item (no token, the real thing) and could sell it or use it for yourself i would say: Yes a good idea and even more a reason to open chests.
    At the current state i was like: WTF??!!11 Are you serious?
    I mean 90 tokens to upgrade and you only get like 3 tokens from opening 50 companion boxes....

Is it charges of a token?

I'd also agree it will cost less in AD at current

Is it too cynical to notice that the bypass cost of buying the way through the farming time is scaling higher as time goes on?
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    radtatat wrote: »
    You would think that is the most logical solution and the easiest way to do it. But this will not make more money for them. So they created another form of currency....

They could create a perfect AD sink by reducing those costs, because now barely anyone uses companions upgrades.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Open a box for a chance of the companion box.

Open that box for a chance of a token.

Click upgrade companion and get told you need 89 more tokens.

Cancel the upgrade and decide to ignore module 3 "lag of zenwinddale" entirely.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was thinking 1 token = 1 5 level upgrade, Now 90 tokens = 1 5 level upgrade. I am upset.
  • khai1987khai1987 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ya Kinda disappointing when i realize i need another 89 token to upgrade from blue to Epic, Spend 400k AD for 1 token tough..
  • jtrivjtriv Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    i agree. companion upgrades at current cost is not an effective AD sink as hardley anyone uses it. lowering the price would make the sink mor eeffective. i mean. look at in terms of numbers. 10 people pay 750 for blue to epic. or 100 people pay 500 for same thing. and scaled down accordingly. same with mount upgrades. you could buy numerous epic mounts for the price it cost to upgrade one. There are very few if any AD sinks that are actually affective. other than ad store. and only then cause people in AH are crazy enough to believe im paying 119k for a greater potency when i can buy from store for 100k same with blue mark. holding at around 28-29k. 3-4k more expensive than store.
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    blue marks were 15k just before the patch, demand changed.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How much of a stat boost would you get out of an Ioun Stone with its level cap increased from 25 to 30?

It's not like it opens up any equipment slots or removes any restrictions there. It's not like it gains any attacks.

So, seriously, what stat boost would it get in 5 levels?
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have upgraded several pets with AD and will post the stats and such when I get up in the morning.

Another ting that would probably help is displaying what the pet will turn into BEFORE you upgrade - so you dont have to just blindly upgrade and hope its worth it :p
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have upgraded several pets with AD and will post the stats and such when I get up in the morning.

Another ting that would probably help is displaying what the pet will turn into BEFORE you upgrade - so you dont have to just blindly upgrade and hope its worth it :p

The wiki page for companions has the green/blue/purple active bonus stats for the companions. It's at the bottom of the page. Seeing the stats have made me more interested in upgrading some companions, it's only the cost that holds me back.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I long ago upgraded my ice box to purple . He is just a tanky beast . Well worth it , by far my favorite companion . And yes he lives along time in boss fights , I do some times have to revive him . And I really like the new ' companion boon ' buff . And for any rangers or wizards with agro problems , get the owl . He reduces threat as long as he is one of your fav five . Once I got him the ice box can hold agro .
    As for the upgrade tokens , I have opened 10 companion boxes and never got any . Just books and a few enchants . Definitely not the way to level a companion .
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There must have been some kind of big mistake on the devs part... this wasn't properly tested (as lockboxes weren't released early on preview), and the new companion upgrade cost in tokens is huge (you'd need to open thousands of lockboxes for just a minor upgrade, certainly you'll get several purple companion drops way before you get enough tokens for a white-to-green upgrade).

Open thousands of lockboxes !!! thats what they want you to do. Its a cash cow of the worst kind,like they give a ****... :rolleyes:
  • mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    /FACEPALM

"Cannot sell - Cannot Discard" Oh this is so fail.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Companion_Fortification_Kit
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mstrssihr wrote: »
    /FACEPALM

"Cannot sell - Cannot Discard" Oh this is so fail.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Companion_Fortification_Kit

It's fail that you can't vendor or discard them? They're in the refinement section on AH.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That means you can't accidentally lose those items, not that they can't be traded between players.

Edit: Also, this thread has largely become outdated since the token drops per box were increased to 30 from 1.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia