Install Arc
Options

My first impressions on the "emergent" open world "PvP"

Comments

• Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    Your right and the arms race of mod 3 will be epic. Comps, black ice gear, more comps, pots out the butt. The cool thing is the social dynamic. I think that will be key. You have wolf packs but you also have well organized guild premades to balance them out. I am loving this part of mod3 and really hope the crowds in dr and shar get their boons quick to fill out the instances.

Not to burst your bubble, but marauding wolf packs of powerful players and organised PVP guilds in IWD will very quickly chase off the new arrivals from Dread Ring and Sharandar.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i went into the open pvp area with a friend who went ahead of me. before i even jumped in, i saw a herd of guildies all chasing him down and i just knew i was gonna die for jumping down to help.

almost every time we came back, they were just waiting for us right next to the border to kill us as soon as we stepped in. even stalked us all over the place if we tried to move away from them.

despite all that, we did get a bit of black ice from there, but most of it was when our faction was dominating. quite frankly, the only enticing part about that area is the abundant black ice to be mined.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    i went into the open pvp area with a friend who went ahead of me. before i even jumped in, i saw a herd of guildies all chasing him down and i just knew i was gonna die for jumping down to help.

almost every time we came back, they were just waiting for us right next to the border to kill us as soon as we stepped in. even stalked us all over the place if we tried to move away from them.

despite all that, we did get a bit of black ice from there, but most of it was when our faction was dominating. quite frankly, the only enticing part about that area is the abundant black ice to be mined.

That was always going to be inevitable.

My brother tried to 1v1 a guildie and he kept on getting attacked by another guild even after he and his guildie repeatedly asked them to stand back. Just ganked him repeatedly after telling him ''THIS OUR ZONE!'' and ''GTFO!''.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My first, second and it will remain for ever my impression, that open world pvp sucks, because what glory or honor is in it, when 10 people defeat 1, who comes just by to do his dailies. Cool, everyone who like this, has a very poor mentality and no common sense.

Ranking... I don't give a **** about such a ranking, it doesn't reflect anything, no skill, no tactics, nothing. Even the mighty Bruce Lee wouldn't stand a chance against an entire army nad than saying he is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, because he was defeated. Ha ha (ironic laugh)

I like the normal pvp, but open world should not be a part of Icewind Dale, let anyone play it, whoever likes it, but making it part of the dailies is a nonsense. Yet again, this is a copy from other dumb games, D&D doesn't have open world pvp.

I try to go trough as fast as i can in this Module 3 campaign and leave it to only pvp-ers, it's their playground, for us who are more pve focused and like normal pvp, it is a place to avoid.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    edited May 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    That was always going to be inevitable.

My brother tried to 1v1 a guildie and he kept on getting attacked by another guild even after he and his guildie repeatedly asked them to stand back. Just ganked him repeatedly after telling him ''THIS OUR ZONE!'' and ''GTFO!''.

Yes it is a common thing now in this Module 3, i have to put regularly people on ignore list, because these wolf packs or only pvp guilds are so violent, i even got insulted by such a group for my Hungarian nationality.

I must say i hate the place already, sad, because Salvatore's dreamland is so nice, but it hasn't got open world pvp in it...
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    edited May 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Are you mad? The whole map open to PVP with PVE content tied into it? Enjoy the herd of GWFs and TRs waiting at the gates to batter anything that walks through there. Also, have fun when you get ganked while trying to do your PVE dailies.

A full PVP map should be something separate and have no PVE content so as not to subject non-PVPers and poorly geared people to thrashings.

Yep, the dailies are no fun anymore- sad... nad yes the newcomers will not like it, it is better to scare them of, my toon is also a newcomer to Icewind and he has no chance against the well equipped, high geared GWFs or TRs or HRs, all runing with vorpals and so on. Module 1 and 2 were cool, you could do your dailies and if you wanted go to do pvp, but here you are forced into pvp.

Forced things have always faltered in history.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Yep, the dailies are no fun anymore- sad... nad yes the newcomers will not like it, it is better to scare them of, my toon is also a newcomer to Icewind and he has no chance against the well equipped, high geared GWFs or TRs or HRs, all runing with vorpals and so on. Module 1 and 2 were cool, you could do your dailies and if you wanted go to do pvp, but here you are forced into pvp.

Forced things have always faltered in history.

I don't see how it's forced, all I get for the PVP quests is stupid silver and XP. The PVE stuff is where the progression is, you get PVP campaign progression by simply playing it. They will need to find a way to solve the instancing issues but there are, of course, other problems to consider...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maroon89maroon89 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sounds like some of you have never played PvP in an open world setting. If you run out solo, you're gonna get ganked! And it always ends up as the pug zerg vs. organized groups. In other words, it's a hoot!

P.S. I miss Warhammer. *sniff*
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Truthfully speaking, anyone who's really dabbled into PvP in any MMOG simply knows that in about a month or so, open PvP will simply turn into premade deathsquads gank-trolling everyone else.

A naive person might think, "but.. premades will come from both factions, and would it not then turn into a fair and fun fight?"

Sorry. Human psychology in openworld doesn't work that way. It's either;

(a) All the premade guys go join in the same faction to form a game-breaking trollsquad against the opponents
    (b) Premade teams only show up when there are no other premade teams in the opposition
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    well just got hit by my first IBS in open world pvp. 26,000 damage. My TR has 30 resist 35% deflect 30k hitpoints. Hate to see what it does to someone below a 14k gearscore. That plus takedown will pretty much cripple/kill anyone
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2014

It was made clear by the team that this is entirely the point. You can get black ice from PvE areas but the big deposits are in the PvP zone. It's an incentive to PvP and there's nothing wrong with that. For all the complaining about the lack of benefits for PvP players in this module, that's a big one.
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    vortican wrote: »
    It was made clear by the team that this is entirely the point. You can get black ice from PvE areas but the big deposits are in the PvP zone. It's an incentive to PvP and there's nothing wrong with that. For all the complaining about the lack of benefits for PvP players in this module, that's a big one.

Simple question... Not just for you.
    If PvP is so great... Why do you need incentives to go into a PvP area?
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I can't speak to that as I have not played PvP in a long time, but I'll gladly try out Icewind Dale, if only for curiosity to see how badly I get my *** kicked.

However, I think the developers are trying to balance the two environments and this concept is a great idea if it actually works. PvP players typically don't bother with PvE because there's no incentive for them to do so. The gear there doesn't benefit them in PvP. PvE players don't play PvP because they have no use for Glory. This module requires PvE play to even access the content, and in order to fully benefit from the black ice mechanic, one would be wise to engage in PvP, and that PvP is in a different setting. I think it's a pretty smart play on their part to give everyone a bit of what they want and expose them to what they've not had. That's not to say it's without problems, but it could be cool.

Incentives usually work. I know that if I can sneak into a PvP zone and mine some black ice, I'm sure as hell going to try to do that.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maroon89 wrote: »
    Sounds like some of you have never played PvP in an open world setting. If you run out solo, you're gonna get ganked!

That's true. And there's a reason for that.. Not everyone like PvP in an open world setting. I don't really see myself spending much time in Module 3 as least as it pertains to the PvP stuff. Hopefully Module 4 dials back the PvP aspect because that part of the game I don't enjoy. What they really need is to add some more domination maps. It's been a year already and its still the same two which is pretty sad.
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I can't speak to that as I have not played PvP in a long time, but I'll gladly try out Icewind Dale, if only for curiosity to see how badly I get my *** kicked.

However, I think the developers are trying to balance the two environments and this concept is a great idea if it actually works. PvP players typically don't bother with PvE because there's no incentive for them to do so. The gear there doesn't benefit them in PvP. PvE players don't play PvP because they have no use for Glory. This module requires PvE play to even access the content, and in order to fully benefit from the black ice mechanic, one would be wise to engage in PvP, and that PvP is in a different setting. I think it's a pretty smart play on their part to give everyone a bit of what they want and expose them to what they've not had. That's not to say it's without problems, but it could be cool.

Incentives usually work. I know that if I can sneak into a PvP zone and mine some black ice, I'm sure as hell going to try to do that.

You see I am the opposite...
    I don't like the idea of trying to get people to do something that they don't really want to do. And getting someone who doesn't really PvP to PvP is a bad idea. But They have been making a series of bad choices anyways so it is in line with their thinking.
    Narayan
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From what I've seen the PvE players who go in the PvP zone to mine just try and run away when I attack them. It's not really PVP if one person doesn't fight back.... I let a few run off but then I got bored and chased a gwf and a dc way out of the zone to kill them.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    my experience so far is that more people are doing pve dailies and HEs away from the pvp areas. i haven't been ambush-attacked completing pvp dailies, although i did make the mistake once of attacking an enemy while he was hiding around two enemy NPCs.

once. :p
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I am a firm believer that the best pvp is focused on pve.
    There should not be an incentive to kill other players. All goals in pvp zones should not require killing.
    The are plenty of multiplayer games which are focused around simply killing other players.
    You don't need to play a mmo if you only want to kill.

MMO's are usually focused on rewards (incentives) for playing.
    In mmo's, players farm because they want the rewards.
    A good story and new quests/missions are nice, but after you experience the same quest/mission several times, you start to become bored and need rewards to continue to do the same quests, again and again.

Ideally, I think a pvp zone should simply be a pve zone with enabled pvp.
    The pvp zone exists to enchance the pve.

Icewind Dale is a huge step in the right direction for Neverwinter. Cryptic deserves a reward for what they have created. Icewind Dale is so much more exciting than boring Sharandar and drab Dread Ring.
    Mixing pve and pvp in an open world. Unpredictable battles. Not knowing what may await you down the road. Rewarding pve/pvp missions which are actually dangerous because you could be killed by other players at any time.

Are there problems with open world pvp? yes, definitely. but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

I am not opposed to allowing some players to be immune to pvp in a pvp zone, but there should be rules and consequences for disabling pvp. It concerns me that some players, who strongly dislike pvp, are missing out on experiencing new areas solely because of pvp.
  • Options
    generia7generia7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How can we have a balance PvP when we have unbalances factions?

The different classes are also not balanced. The game in general has issues with PVP because of overall balancing issues (classes, gear, factions, etc). I'm hoping that this will be fixed soon-ish. :eek:
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Perma trolling is entirely out of hand. They basically lurk and wait for someone to try a mine for the mission and then Ninja-@#$%^ you when the animation starts. Permas in Domination are annoying. In the new PVP they ruin it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You see I am the opposite...
    I don't like the idea of trying to get people to do something that they don't really want to do. And getting someone who doesn't really PvP to PvP is a bad idea. But They have been making a series of bad choices anyways so it is in line with their thinking.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do and you won't miss anything if you don't PvP. There are PvP quests in the normal campaign as well and you don't have to do any of them. I don't. However, I have no problem with Cryptic encouraging players to experience ALL aspects of the game by offering incentives. It's a completely voluntary and fair way to broad the game experience.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would complain about completely optional content. Because it exists? That's a silly reason to complain.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Question: how can one be one of "the best PvE players?" I mean, if you completed the content, you've obviously beaten PvE. How can one person be better than another at this?

I'd also think that if a person is a troll and a jerk, that's not because they of what kind of game they play; it's just because they're a troll jerk.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Question: how can one be one of "the best PvE players?" I mean, if you completed the content, you've obviously beaten PvE. How can one person be better than another at this?

Simple. Complete PVE dungeons faster than most guilds. Use rotations more efficiently. Be in the Top-DPS ladder consistently if you are in a DPS-role.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    sangrine wrote: »
    Yes, of course. Here is the last paragraph I wrote, since it seems you did not read it.

"I am not opposed to allowing some players to be immune to pvp in a pvp zone, but there should be rules and consequences for disabling pvp. It concerns me that some players, who strongly dislike pvp, are missing out on experiencing new areas solely because of pvp."

The problem with 100% separate pvp and pve is that pvp is more interesting and exciting when pve is involved. I purposely avoid pvp which includes little or no pve such as arena (domination) pvp. Gauntlygrym is better, because the map is larger, there are more players, and pve is mixed in with it. The best thing about Icewind Dale is the large open map and the large pve battles. Even if there were no pvp at all, it would still be a success. So far, I am doing much much more pve in Icewind Dale. By adding pvp to Icewind Dale, it makes the pve more exciting.

When I go into a pvp zone with my DC, I usually try to avoid line-of-sight with enemy players and try to mount and flee if an enemy moves towards my direction. I really like how the line-of-sight is reduced in some parts of Icewind Dale which provides some safety against enemy's who could spot me from afar and pursue me. I am guessing they reduced rendering distance for performance (frame rate) reasons, but the effect is still fun.

One time, my DC was able to send a GWF fleeing in a 1v1 because I was standing next to (and healing) 4-5 NPC allies. If there were no pve in Icewind Dale, then I would almost certainly die to that GWF in 1v1 pvp.

Why should there be rules and consequences for disabling PvP? Some people just do not like PvP.

And how does having PvP in a PvE zone make it more exciting? If you go into the PvP zone you are flagged for PvP therefore you are no longer doing PvE.
    Narayan
  • Options
    kungsarmekungsarme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14
    edited May 2014
    Personally I love rolling up to get the pvp flag first before doing anything else in the zone. I enjoy it a lot more because of the need to keep an eye on my surroundings while questing. I think it adds another layer to the daily grind in comparison to Sharandar and Dread Ring. I'd say 95% of the other people aren't flagged but it really makes it exciting when you're soloing a barbarian HE and you see an enemy flag or 2 coming towards you.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kungsarme wrote: »
    Personally I love rolling up to get the pvp flag first before doing anything else in the zone. I enjoy it a lot more because of the need to keep an eye on my surroundings while questing. I think it adds another layer to the daily grind in comparison to Sharandar and Dread Ring. I'd say 95% of the other people aren't flagged but it really makes it exciting when you're soloing a barbarian HE and you see an enemy flag or 2 coming towards you.

Which is great if you enjoy that. But not everyone does, so why try to entice someone who does not enjoy PvP to PvP?
    Narayan
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Which is great if you enjoy that. But not everyone does, so why try to entice someone who does not enjoy PvP to PvP?

Enticing players from either side to play the other mode is the point. PVP players have to grind sharandar and dread ring and now icewind for boons.

I see nothing on the PVP zone that is essential for content so what's with the complaining
  • Options
    kungsarmekungsarme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14
    edited May 2014

I don't mind at all if you don't want to PvP. Just saying that I really enjoy having the option to PvP in a PvE environment along side people that are and aren't flagged for it. Me flagging for PvP and coming out to the PvE zone has zero effect on you as a non-flagged player. I personally find it a lot more exciting for me, and you have no requirement to flag. I guess I don't understand your issue?
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally I hate PvP, I hate the mentality of the players it draws (not all players mind you but roving wolf packs who troll for fun) and I hate the way it totally ruins PvE for PvE players because of the complaints that classes are unbalanced and need to be nerfed.
    PvP needs to be segregated, not just in it's own open world zones for the PvP'rs but in class and gear specs as well.
    If you enter PvP map your stats and powers adjust accordingly for PvP, when you PvE then your stats remain unchanged.
    I will never set foot anywhere in IWD simply because it's open world PvP, no thanks, I'll go do something else more worth while...oh wait the foundry's still down...scratch that. Just my 2.5 coppers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why should there be rules and consequences for disabling PvP? Some people just do not like PvP.

And how does having PvP in a PvE zone make it more exciting? If you go into the PvP zone you are flagged for PvP therefore you are no longer doing PvE.

Pvp zones have pve in them. There are NPC's which can be either enemies or allies. Enemy NPC's are PvE whether they are in a "pve zone" or in a "pvp zone". There are quests to complete in pvp zones. I am often able to complete pvp daily quests on all my characters without killing any real players. Since these pvp daily quests don't require me to kill other players, they are not actually pvp quests. They call them pvp quests because they are located in a pvp zone. The quests are actually pve.

Instead of removing pve from pvp zones and instead of removing pvp from pve zones, I propose that non-pvp'ers be allowed go anywhere (or almost anywhere) without becoming flagged for pvp. There should be a consequence though. Since non-pvp'ers face less danger and less difficulty, their rewards should be less than players who are flagged for pvp. For example, if a non-pvp'er and pvp'er mine the same black ice node in a pvp zone, the pvp player should get more black ice. Disabling pvp during pvp battle should not be allowed. Some players may abuse that by disabling pvp when they are close to losing the fight. Cryptic may need to add more rules and consequences for disabling pvp, as appropriate.

Alternatively, Cryptic could create separate IWD instances with only pve. Not a huge fan of this solution, but it would work. As I already said, Players who play in pve-only instances should receive less rewards since they face less danger and less difficulty.