What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Race Change Thread - Yes, Another Request

2»

Comments

• thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    vaerth wrote: »
    I have played this game for sometime now and love it. I have run into something I did not know before however yesterday. I was unaware that their was a Moon Elf race, and I have a wood elf at level 45 now. I would love to play as a moon elf, and buy the Knight of the Feywild. But i am not starting over the same class (only on I like is Wizard, tried all 6) and spending the diamonds and Zen all over again when I should have the option to just pay to swap races.

On top of that, I RP a wizard Moon Elf on table top D&D. I have a name for my current character I do not want to have to change. Option is keep the name for the new character by deleting current wizard or making a new name. All this would just be much easier if I could PAY to switch races.

When I started this game, I did not know you could get other races by paying. I am fine with buying races that require it, but how would a new player have know what they can get jumping into a new game like that? I am fully aware the anti race changers will be here soon after the post. I am excited to see what reasons people have against it. Because in my eyes, why would anyone have an issue with it? Crypic makes money, people can change things they want to change, and the game is being funded for more content. Win for everyone, even those who do not use the feature.

For those who oppose it, please state a VALID reason why you think this would affect YOUR gameplay in any negative manner (or anyone gameplay for that matter). What argument do you have to claim this would not be a good feature to add?

Agree 100% My elf wizard is Sun elf in PnP D&D. I created her at launch. Sun elf sub race came much later. Would gladly pay $$ to switch her race.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Let's reroll stats

Let's reroll races

Let's reroll class

Let's reroll time

What else guys?
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Everyone has their own reasons for wanting what they want. If they don't gel with yours for wanting or not wanting the same, it does not in anyway invalidate their view.

The game masters will do what they will, but the argument about breaking immersion is kind of weak. Immersion is shattered by the game itself. If you are able to maintain a sense of immersion while getting stampeded by a mounted heard of mythical creatures that would never ever allow themselves to be mounted by a mere mortal- and stepping in things that turn out to be a flesh eating slime kept as a companion, leaping out of it, only to land in another of the same, then you can maintain immersion through just about anything.

Do I want to change race? Nope. I have one or two that I rolled (abilities) badly when I was newish because I didn't fully grasp the mechanics.. like ALL of you at one point or another. Do I really care if they let me? Nope. But I will be glad if they do.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    In over 10 years of DnD I've never seen a player wish for another race just to min/max a few more % of damage out of a character. No serious DM who would allow it for that reason either.
    Good job on raising the dead tho. -dodges Kelemvor's hammer-

I wan't to change my Half Orc GWF into a Dwarf... I am not interested in this feature in order to gain some statistical advantage. What I am trying to dodge is having to pay cryptic twice over for everything I've already put into my current GWF.

Let's reroll stats

Let's reroll races

Let's reroll class

Let's reroll time

What else guys?

This is a common troll post and I am annoyed that moderators let this fly. Start listing games that offer a race change and also offer a class change. It is not ok to sweep this request aside just because of some hypothetical class change that has never happened. Enough of this!
    edited May 2014
    This is a common troll post and I am annoyed that moderators let this fly. Start listing games that offer a race change and also offer a class change. It is not ok to sweep this request aside just because of some hypothetical class change that has never happened. Enough of this!

The same reasoning you give for changing base stats is the exact same reasoning to reroll classes

Troll responses like yours should not be tolerated here.
    edited May 2014
    The same reasoning you give for changing base stats is the exact same reasoning to reroll classes

Troll responses like yours should not be tolerated here.

Changing classes doesn't even make sense and you know it. What about bound gear? What about skills, boons, and artifacts? It didn't make sense when WoW didn't do it years ago, and it doesn't make sense now.
    edited May 2014
    Changing classes doesn't even make sense and you know it. What about bound gear? What about skills, boons, and artifacts? It didn't make sense when WoW didn't do it years ago, and it doesn't make sense now.

Gear comes off toon, still bound to character, on an overflow bag. What about them boons? Obviously the character will be reborn just as any other respec token.

Anything else?
    edited May 2014
    Gear comes off toon, still bound to character, on an overflow bag. What about them boons? Obviously the character will be reborn just as any other respec token.

Anything else?

Oh, so now this token changes everything now. Might want to give it the ability to take your bound gear and turn it into something you can use. After all, you'd be a 60 with zero usable gear. What were those games that allowed this again? I think you forgot that I asked for a list.
  • shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    You can change race in D&D, its called WISH. In fact there is MORE reason to allow it (lore wise) in D&D than WoW.
    A Wish is suppose to be extremely rare in DnD, and to be handle delicately by the DM in PnP. They are not to be treated like something anyone can walk into a mage shop and buy, like a healing potion.

It is usually a reward for a very successful campaign, in the higher levels.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I always choose my race based exclusively on how they look.
    Before I hated how half elves looked, their mouth was too low on their face, even on the highest setting, so they looked like angry monkeys. Now tough, with the new character creation, they look awesome (to me at least) and I'd really like to change to a half elf now but today I finish my last boon and I'd hate to have to relevel a whole new char again and get all the boons just because they changed how they look now :(
    I could care less about the lore reason behind it, I can pretend I was always a half elf and that's it :/
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • metanoia2125metanoia2125 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think they really need to put this as an option in the zen store for idc how much. It just needs to be an option. Also, they need more hairstyles. What is the reasoning behind not doing it?
  • metanoia2125metanoia2125 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I actually see a thread regarding this matter so nvm
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I actually see a thread regarding this matter so nvm
    Merged it for you. ;)
    edited May 2014
    A Wish is suppose to be extremely rare in DnD, and to be handle delicately by the DM in PnP. They are not to be treated like something anyone can walk into a mage shop and buy, like a healing potion.

It is usually a reward for a very successful campaign, in the higher levels.

There are countless things that are supposed to be 'rare' in D&D that almost everyone has in Neverwinter. People always bring up this stupid argument, and it gets stupider every time I hear it.

And for your information, characters at our epic levels often use wishes for much more casual things. The Witch queen of Algarond for example (an iconic Realm character if you don't know) would use them to change her known sorcerer spells.
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    In over 10 years of DnD I've never seen a player wish for another race just to min/max a few more % of damage out of a character. No serious DM who would allow it for that reason either.
    Good job on raising the dead tho. -dodges Kelemvor's hammer-

Might want to re-read your Forgotten realms novels. ;) Average D&D Forgotten realms is NOT.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    People forget or just don't realize that the Realms are a magic-rich place. It is unlike any other Campaign Setting and almost every race has its own rules, back-story, and such that set them apart from the rest of the D&D universe. Probably the biggest thing are our Dragons, which are quite different than a normal Monstrous Manual dragon. Almost every living being born on Toril has inherent magical talent, whether they ever learn of it or not, which dates back to the Arcane Age.
    edited May 2014
    Oh, so now this token changes everything now. Might want to give it the ability to take your bound gear and turn it into something you can use. After all, you'd be a 60 with zero usable gear. What were those games that allowed this again? I think you forgot that I asked for a list.

Why must it follow every other MMO? If the point is to copy every other MMO then why bother making this one?

By the way, next thing you know people will be asking for character changes, race changes.....ooops we've reached that point
  • stonermkiistonermkii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lol, i dont even understand why this is being argued over. How does this break "immersion" again? Unless your a RP'er this breaks nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving players options. Why not make a token to change your race and charge 10 bucks for it? Every Min/Maxer and their cousins sister buys it, PWE make money and all the "oh its breaks immersion" people continue on none the wiser, and quite possibly get new content out of it. Point is as long as it doesnt exploit the playerbase anything that makes them money gets us content and thats pretty much what your arguing against.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm on the side of the Race Change tokens,

The reason for that is that I started playing this game over a year ago. Back then there were no options for a Sun Elf or Moon Elf as those simply were not in the game yet. I had two choices if I wanted to go with that. Wood Elf or Drow, and being that the Ranger Class wasn't even in the game at that time I do wonder why they chose Wood Elf as a beginning race.

Either way, the choice I wanted was simply not in the game at that point. And now, I have far too much invested in this character and items that are bound and cannot be transfered. Things out of Lotto boxes that cannot be replaced without major effort or AD.

I never had the option originally to take the race I wanted. Those races came available later, but I simply had only one choice back then. I would like to be able to buy a race change token to make this character what it was originallly planned to be but could not be back when I originally created it.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I vote for race, class, gender ect change tokens as well. Even though they probably wont happen.
    this is why:

1. This game is marketed on the fact it started out with very few race/class options but seems to add more every 3-6 months or so. some people actually made chars with the intention to reroll when their expected race came out. a race they may have payed 60$ or more for.

2. a LOT of rare items you get for a character like lockbox mount, Event companions, rare drops, Golden pantaloons!, are Character bound especially once used so that level 45 very pale wood elf will for ever lose her mystic night mare, aranea, frost mimic, jester top, bone dog, pet got on steam, a set of tenebrous enhancements, a rare weapon re-skin, a weapon that was dyed green before they removed the ability to dye weapons, fae dog. a character that doesn't look like a half melted Barbie!, collection credit. these are things that are possibly irreplaceable if you reroll others are character bound. if ALL character bound items were account bound or transferable to a new character(for a price) this would not be an issue.

3. the fact d&d 4th ed doesn't have it is a silly excuse in a game that has several halflings named Bilbo riding around on giant spiders. Drow archers name drittzt in jester garb riding in geletonus cubes, and tiefling clerics riding around on unicorns that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows. The realistic d&d ship has sailed my friend.

4. Role-play, Role players can police their own people thank you very much its not as if just because a option is there suddenly ALL role-players will be forced to race change. I'm sure if a RP player race changes there will also be a 6 month rp plot that goes with it. other heavy rp games do not have immersion difficulties with changes, ie Champions, Star-trek online, chat rooms like IMVU and IRC rp had people changing vital aspects all the time. Some racial change might even make sense in rp, like from human to tiefling. or from drow to dark skinned wood elf. as these changes may be due to curses or blessings. I am betting most of the people using RP immersion as a defense don't even RP.

5. you can already change your name and appearance drastically for zen. especially with the new character looks in play a LOT of people are being FORCED to change their looks. So a minimum sized skinny Halfling with pale skin and blond hair named sue, can change into a fat dark skinned Halfling with tiny feet named bubba.

yet a person cant change their hairstyle to go with that fancy dress without paying as much as it costs to change everything. there really should be an option to change small things for increasing amounts of ad OR pay 200z for as much as you want. PWE will make a lot more by nickel and diming people every time they want to go to an IC wedding.

6. cause magic (doesn't matter if the spells are there, this game still has a good deal of transformation magic, we have a "tower of changes"!)

7, if your really THAT concerned you can always limit race changes to premium/new races. but Its really such a matter of opinion I say if people want to spend Zen on race changes let them. it will help PWE's bottom line. and for petes sake how would you know it not like name are unique and it is not like a Halfling is suddenly going to change into a half orc mid mission. (puberty?)
  • berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited May 2014
    I fully support a very much needed race change & ability score roll change. When I made my character, the ability score descriptions did not tell me what stats they would give me! Only flowery language such as "perception, hand-eye coordination, empathy..." etc were put in the ability score description. My ability scores are horrible for my particular class and race!!

After getting my character to level 60 and getting tons of ardent coins, and level 20 leadership with other high leveled professions as well...I refuse to delete him. Not only would a race change / ability score roll token make players in my situation happy, it would also make a little bit of money for PWE as well - and contribute to the longevity of this game with monetary funding. A win-win for everyone.

Come on Cryptic, do it! We're all waiting on you! :)
  • illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Seeing how disgusting new halfings, elves and few assorted others look I am now fully in favor of allowing the race change.
  • zankardzankard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the whole problem is that some races are much more powerful than others, in any respect. Perhaps balancing the races a little bit would change the whole "I need to reset my race" mindset. Also, a reincarnation scroll which is random would be funny as hell haha. One could still get the class he/she wants anyway you just add some RNG in the mix to make it harder, I don't see how that could be a problematic change.