test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Split shot damage reduced by 45%, what does the future hold for us?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just noticed today so I figured I'd post a screen shot.

Since one of the reasons given for the heavy nerfing of split shot is the fact that its an at-will skill that can do 10k crits I decided to test something with my GWFs. So I hit up the dummies in dread ring using only weapon masters strike and heres the results.

2_zpsa28f0beb.jpg

So tell me again why a 10k crit producing at-will is unbalanced?

Edit: just figured I'd add for those that do not know, WMS is one of the most commonly used at-will skills for GWFs. Also like to add the fact that it hits twice as fast when in unstoppable mode.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited April 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    Just noticed today so I figured I'd post a screen shot.

Since one of the reasons given for the heavy nerfing of split shot is the fact that its an at-will skill that can do 10k crits I decided to test something with my GWFs. So I hit up the dummies in dread ring using only weapon masters strike and heres the results.

2_zpsa28f0beb.jpg

So tell me again why a 10k crit producing at-will is unbalanced?

Edit: just figured I'd add for those that do not know, WMS is one of the most commonly used at-will skills for GWFs. Also like to add the fact that it hits twice as fast when in unstoppable mode.

never hit that much with one wms swing maybe like 8 of em its possible for me to hit 17k but that would be added up. Unless you have perfect vorpal or something i only have lesser even so sounds pretty obese to me. With the nerfs to the gwf damage and debuff from student that wont be that possible anymore and theres still a chance that split wont be 45% less.
  • Options
    proqludumproqludum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited April 2014
    On a side note, I was testing the new hawkeye buff and it seems to scale pretty well with hard hitting powers. Maybe there is a possibility for a troll build for pug games utilizing stealth (ambush/ghost), not sure how viable it will be though. I have mostly pvp gear and was selfbuffed+potions.

azAHEIW.jpg
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    I am not so sure they are useless in pve. I use rapid shot in any boss fight in pve because I am not trying to aggro the entire mob. I noticed you can pretty much aimed shot/rapid shot the boss to great effect drawing almost no aggro, while using the rest of your rangers abilities as party buffs and interrupts.

Not saying 45% nerf to split shot is entirely justified without an equal buff to other powers, but some nerf of that power in order to provide more parity amongst all the rangers abilities is a good call imo.

Aimed shot is great not for standing in the open and trying to hit anything, but for hugging a wall or finding a shady cut and sniping. Like a target that is fairly far away and just barely in your line of sight and moving more into the open as aimed shot is being cast (say an enemy gwf chasing a cw off node 2 in rivenscar). Not to even mention forest ghost first.

Look I am sure that it is fun for you when not playing your GWF or CW to do something besides DPS. Being a buff bot with your guildies is likely entertaining under that circumstance. You must recognize that most of us are simply not interested in that. If I wanted a cleric I would have rolled a cleric. I admit that the nerfed HR works just fine..... as an alt.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What i noticed is the nerf stick tends to hi powers that EVERYONE uses so often it turns the class into a 1 button wonder.
    that was probably the case with split shot people could get top kills AND top dps without ever hitting another button. or fill thier other power slots with heals and buffs rather than other damage powers.

in general AOE powers should do less damage than single target powers so that people have to chose between most targets killed and most damage. Noone likes to get nerfed but it is a inevitability. look at it this way if split shot does less damage maybe it will also cause less aggro.

Also you probably do not want to use COX as an example in this case. Cox died cause NCSOFT killed it due to wanting to put more resources into the games that they could farm over seas. It lived a long time with extremely cruddy PVP and still has a strong following of fabois who get very upset when people remind them It had flaws.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guys split shot is no longer being nerfed by 45% go to this thread for details , if anything HR gonna be a lot stronger now in mod 3
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?635201-Official-Feedback-Thread-Ranger-Paragon-Path-Pathfinder&p=7766791&viewfull=1#post7766791
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Look I am sure that it is fun for you when not playing your GWF or CW to do something besides DPS. Being a buff bot with your guildies is likely entertaining under that circumstance. You must recognize that most of us are simply not interested in that. If I wanted a cleric I would have rolled a cleric. I admit that the nerfed HR works just fine..... as an alt.

People hate the idea of a ss nerf. SS is NOT the HR base mechanic, shifting between combat and ranged stance is the base mechanic. For gwf unstoppable, for gf block, for rouge stealth, for cw 'arcane mastery'. The fact that people are reacting to an ss nerf the same as they would react to a base mechanic nerf means that the at-will (AT-WILL) has become relied upon as if it WERE a base mechanic. SS to that extent, is broke. It is so broke. If it were not so broke people would nt complain about te nerf because they would be forced to rely more on that base mechanic. You see the irony?

Anyways, this is now a non issue and this thread might as well be closed.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I wouldnt say stronger. Just less incentive to go split shot spamming while split shot still remains a viable attack.
  • Options
    murmazmurmaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Devs just killed a class. The new support paragon is garbage and completely outclasssed by every other class in PvP and PvE. HRs are officially useless.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    murmaz wrote: »
    The Devs just killed a class. The new support paragon is garbage and completely outclasssed by every other class in PvP and PvE. HRs are officially useless.

No they didn't and no HR's aren't useless , the 45% nerf is no longer happening , this thread is spreading out of date now false information , go here for up to date info on HR class changes http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?635201-Official-Feedback-Thread-Ranger-Paragon-Path-Pathfinder&p=7766791&viewfull=1#post7766791
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

Just because 1 out of 2 paragons arent all that great doesnt ruin the whole class.

Hell, thats like when GF's got swordmaster, even though it performs worse in every way to ironvanguard, that doesnt make GF's a useless class when they perform fine as Iron vanguards still.

Theres still adjustments to be made for the pathfinder paragon.
  • Options
    murmazmurmaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    No they didn't and no HR's aren't useless , the 45% nerf is no longer happening , this thread is spreading out of date now false information , go here for up to date info on HR class changes http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?635201-Official-Feedback-Thread-Ranger-Paragon-Path-Pathfinder&p=7766791&viewfull=1#post7766791

Give me 1 reason a HR would be wanted in PvE? What do we possibly bring to the table that isn't provided better with other classes? 25% reduction in dps is still significant and you can downplay this by saying "its only one at-will", the reason it matters is because that was the only attack that actually did some damage. HR wasnt a class that needed a nerf and I don't think the buffs on rarely used encounters are sufficient. This is coming from the point of a player who has spent hundreds on zen so I think I'm entitled to let my anger out as if I knew this beforehand I wouldn't have blown so much money. I feel cheated.

If I wanted to be a f....n support I would pick DC.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Give me 1 reason a HR would be wanted in PvE? What do we possibly bring to the table that isn't provided better with other classes? 25% reduction in dps is still significant and you can downplay this by saying "its only one at-will", the reason it matters is because that was the only attack that actually did some damage. HR wasnt a class that needed a nerf and I don't think the buffs on rarely used encounters are sufficient. This is coming from the point of a player who has spent hundreds on zen so I think I'm entitled to let my anger out as if I knew this beforehand I wouldn't have blown so much money. I feel cheated.

If I wanted to be a f....n support I would pick DC.

First...it is not a 25% dps reduction.
    Second If it is a 25% dps reduction then you are just spamming one ability and that is it.
    Third Buying Zen gives you no one an entitlement.
    Forth Online games are constantly evolving and characters skills and abilities change, it is the nature of the beast.
    Fifth My HR on Preview is definitely not a f'ing support class (can ask around) I am wanted in PvE, don't know what to tell you about that.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey guys, just wanted to drop in with some news and update changes.

We have been taking a long hard look at Hunter Rangers and where we want them to fall in our combat as well as how various players choose to experience them, and we have decided that we want to make some pretty big changes later on down the road. However we do not want these to be rushed changes to make Module 3, so we are going to be reducing the Split Shot damage reduction pretty heavily as well as leaving in all the other buffs we made.

I don't have much information on the bigger changes we want to make, but we definitely want to provide better tools to facilitate playing as a striker, as well as giving more options for rangers who would like to prefer one stance rather than always weaving back and forth. In addition, we do want to provide a tree that can preserve the current play style of weaving Melee and Ranged powers together so that there will be a full suite of options to play a Ranger any way you want to.

I want to stress again that these are big fundamental changes that will be happening farther down the road, and in the short term we are going to just be rolling back some of the damage reduction on split shot while leaving in the buffs and adjustments to other powers.

The change is as listed below:
    Hunter Ranger: Split Shot: The damage reduction on this power has been readjusted. This power now has a total reduction of about 25% (down from 48%).

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

since the original basis of this thread has been changed, we will be locking this down.
    please provide your feedback on HR changes in the official feedback thread.

thanks.
This discussion has been closed.