test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Split shot damage reduced by 45%, what does the future hold for us?

Comments

• tajah23tajah23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    addendum: SoA & Singularity ARE potent, I won't deny that. But they are both non-spammable skill shots with cooldowns. (regardless of recovery stacking) Both are easy to avoid if your Stamina is up. Split Shot is an auto-tracking spammable unlimited AOE.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think everyone already realizes that the HR is being crippled for PVE to balance PVP. Re-Stating that, given their low demand in PVE, is pretty useless...
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Please no one be offended by this post, I mean no disrespect to my fellow players. But I think there are so many HR players because with split shot and having bloodbath on encounter rather than a daily....er, I meant FOX SHIFT, the class is ridiculously easy to play. No one wants HRs in dungeons because most HR players are 1 or 2 trick ponys who know how to spam split shot and then die because they havent mastered the class well enough to survive the massive aggro they are generating as a result.

So I am predicting the HRs that remain will be those players who can actually play the class. That is a good thing. HRs will be as hard to play as CW and IMO CW dominates dungeons not because they are an easy class to play but because as a class they require a bit of skill.

As far as usefulness in open world pvp....even with split shot nerfed I can't imagine a more useful class. Do I even have to say why? Aimed shot, strong area control, strong dots, good cc, good combat abilities, excellent evasion abilities. Probably the best evasion abilities in the game outside of perma stealth TR's. The biggest drawback in domination for HR's is how confined it is. Being able to move all over the place without marauders escaping into a wall (derp, do it all the time) is huge.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lol @ "crippled"

Look at all the terribad HRs who don't know how to do anything except split shot spam.

That's why the skill is being nerfed by 45%, not because of PvE or PvP. It's because of all the bad HRs who literally do not use any other skill.

Learn to play HR and you'll see we aren't crippled at all by the changes. Or don't learn to play HR, quit the class and stop making the rest of us look bad.
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Split shot was good crowd control and was nice for fighting minions. Any damage decrease starts to make it less usable. Just a fact. Even in pvp, i use Split when Im facing a crowd. makes sense. If you are fighting a new 60 and im geared, its gonna own him. This is the reality of having pvp in an mmo leveling type setting. If you want something based on true skill and lag times, than play an FPS.

I think the FS and Split shot nerfs are unneeded. Just my opinion. I think if they just buffed up other powers, you would see people use these less. I rarely use FS on my nature ranger but its a must have on my combat ranger. I personally feel that people overuse these powers because they work and work well, unlike everything else.

Id rather see devs fix whats broken first, than reevaluate and decide if its worthwhile to nerf powers after that. Sadly in these games it is probably easier to blanket nerf, requires less time and man hours.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    split shot was the reason why i stopped playing my ranger, its the most boring gameplay out of my characters. I like the nerf. But they need to rework alot of encounters, to give better aoe potential. Like increasing the radius of rain of arrows instead of its damage per rank (does tons of damage anyway). make split the sky react to people attacking instead of getting hit, thorn ward do aoe damage when it hits something, etc etc.

Melee needs buff with certain encounters too, overall they just do pitiful damage.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited April 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    Split shot was good crowd control and was nice for fighting minions. Any damage decrease starts to make it less usable. Just a fact. Even in pvp, i use Split when Im facing a crowd. makes sense. If you are fighting a new 60 and im geared, its gonna own him. This is the reality of having pvp in an mmo leveling type setting. If you want something based on true skill and lag times, than play an FPS.

I think the FS and Split shot nerfs are unneeded. Just my opinion. I think if they just buffed up other powers, you would see people use these less. I rarely use FS on my nature ranger but its a must have on my combat ranger. I personally feel that people overuse these powers because they work and work well, unlike everything else.

Id rather see devs fix whats broken first, than reevaluate and decide if its worthwhile to nerf powers after that. Sadly in these games it is probably easier to blanket nerf, requires less time and man hours.

I agree with this but ya, more cost effective to blanket nerf. Gotta say split shot in pvp with g.vorpal or better....just silly. Put SH on left mouse button and rapid click and suddenly the contested node is cleared. Or do the same till the enemy team is down to about 10% health and then marauders rush + fox shift.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lol @ "crippled"

Look at all the terribad HRs who don't know how to do anything except split shot spam.

That's why the skill is being nerfed by 45%, not because of PvE or PvP. It's because of all the bad HRs who literally do not use any other skill.

Learn to play HR and you'll see we aren't crippled at all by the changes. Or don't learn to play HR, quit the class and stop making the rest of us look bad.

what other skills (apart from FS and SS) can you use to match in DPS with GWF or CW?

It isn't that we dont know how to use more skills, but to be a little usefull instead of using skills that are uselles trash and doing nothing for the party.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I think one important factor the OP is forgetting is that Split Shot has a target cap of 5 and that it is exceedingly unlikely that the Neverwinter engine can handle mass PvP of the nature they might be used to without game breaking lag.

Go ahead and enter a Protector's Enclave instance with 120+ players, now imagine all those people actually casting spells. A good spot to compare it to are the seasonal events, that virtually always grind the servers to a halt. Icewind Dale is going to be that, year round.

As for the overall viability of HR after these nerfs I think it is important to consider that the developers themselves have admitted that CW is the only class worth playing and is going to remain so for the foreseeable future even past Module 3's release date. You can safely assume that means you should stop playing Neverwinter until they have a clue about what their own game should play like. It's been a year and they still don't know what to do about the CW given the content they've already designed.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    I think one important factor the OP is forgetting is that Split Shot has a target cap of 5 and that it is exceedingly unlikely that the Neverwinter engine can handle mass PvP of the nature they might be used to without game breaking lag.

Go ahead and enter a Protector's Enclave instance with 120+ players, now imagine all those people actually casting spells. A good spot to compare it to are the seasonal events, that virtually always grind the servers to a halt. Icewind Dale is going to be that, year round.

As for the overall viability of HR after these nerfs I think it is important to consider that the developers themselves have admitted that CW is the only class worth playing and is going to remain so for the foreseeable future even past Module 3's release date. You can safely assume that means you should stop playing Neverwinter until they have a clue about what their own game should play like. It's been a year and they still don't know what to do about the CW given the content they've already designed.

Yea, I was thinking in that too, actually I said in a post that I found that a nerf to SS is acceptable (25%-30%?), but they would increase its capacity so that the damage will reach 7-8 people or more...
  • frozenflame22frozenflame22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 56
    edited April 2014
    I didn't realize it had a target cap. I was suggesting that it should have one (among other things). Thanks for pointing this out.
  • tajah23tajah23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2014

developers themselves have admitted that CW is the only class worth playing

That's a misrepresentation of the Cryptic statement. I couldn't find the post, but they basically said that the other classes lag behind CW as far as what they bring to a group in the way of unique contribution.

Those are two very different things.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tajah23 wrote: »
    That's a misrepresentation of the Cryptic statement. I couldn't find the post, but they basically said that the other classes lag behind CW as far as what they bring to a group in the way of unique contribution.

It is in the dev tracker section.

They admitted that CW AoE dmg is indeed out of hand. However, they do not know exactly what causes it, either feats or skills or both. Until they finally figure out the cause and fix it, cw is still the undisputed king in PvE.

Back to HR's situation, the current HR on Preview server is a mess. HR have to struggle to kill even lvl 60 mobs in the current contents, and almost impossible to solo the new content in Icewind Dale.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

It's in my signature brosif, quoted and linked. Think what you will, it is obvious to many players that every class outside of CW is dead weight at the highest end of content/gearing in PvE. There is no real debate about that from anyone that's seen it in action. Again, don't think I'm saying that other classes are not viable it's to say that bringing anything else is non-ideal in any situation. (And this is keeping in mind that GWF is about to be seriously nerfed, which was the only other 'overtuned' class.)

Pretty sure I already deflated the OP's mistaken belief that 'open world' PvP means anything in Neverwinter with target capped abilities that, outside of the CW, are generally set at five targets maximum.

Now, if things were massively open world CW and GWF (Oppressive Force/Avalanche of Steel) are going to one shot entire guilds of players so really where do you think they need to concentrate their efforts here? Can you imagine 5 or 10 uncapped Oppressive Forces/Avalanches going off in the middle of a PvP melee brawl? It's ludicrous to even imagine HR being 1/10th as effective let alone 'overpowered' in open world PvP.

So, in essense, the OP's point from start to finish comes from abject ignorance of game mechanics in Neverwinter. He can be safely ignored when he says anything about Split Shot's nerf making any kind of sense when CW/GWF get a free pass to remain massively overpowered in any real mass PvP battle just through two friggin' dailies.

So please, explain to me once again how Split Shot is so massively overpowered that it must undergo a 45% nerf?

How they manage to justify nerfing split shot before bringing CW's to heel is staggeringly, game breakingly stupid of Cryptic.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
    edited April 2014
    Moderately rational post

thanks for the link.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What does the future hold for us? Hopefully less terrible HRs making every dungeon/skirmish a massive pain in the *** by scattering the mobs everywhere.
  • malignantmanormalignantmanor Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    Split shot is completely broken as a 2nd level at will in pve. No other class can match it at low levels. Compare it to the gwf's crappy reaping strike. It isn't until 21 points are spent that the gwf can get an at will aoe that can be spammed effectively. A cw needs several encounter slots to get it beat. I wonder how many thousand ad will be lost for each Blacklake skirmish farmer hour after the change.
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have no problem with the splitshot nerf IF they compensate enough to allow a ranged style player to keep the same amount of dps.
    If the overall effect is to reduce ranged damage regardless of new tactics, then this change is epic fail. And no, I dont want to be forced
    into doing melee damage - that's not my view of a ranger.

Given that a similarly equipped CW or GWF outdamages us right now, an overall reduction in dps is unwarranted. The prior note about overpoweredness at low levels is correct, but really who cares? What I and most people care about is effectiveness at level 60 in T2 dungeons.
  • macaran5123macaran5123 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just so you all know, the 45% damage reduction is the same reduction GWFs are getting. As for CWs, you can not compare yourself to them as they are way out of line at the moment, as is seen in this post by one of the lead developers:
    Guys, I have read the whole thread and want to step in and point something out. We are actively thinking about CWs and what to do with them right now (although I cannot give a timeline on anything relating to that right now). Balance is a really delicate situation and not one we make drastic changes to lightly. This was a case where if we did nothing every single GWF would have lost a substantial portion of their performance with no buffs to compensate. That said, this is why we put things like this on the preview shard. We want you guys to test it and get a feel for the intent and direction the class is moving so you can help shape it.

To be perfectly frank, the CW is very much out of line right now. They provide too much damage and their AoEs don't really conform to the same damage rules as they ideally should. But we have looked at various reasons as to why they cause problems and some of that lies in their feats, some in their base ratios, some in target caps, and that is really quite a few dials to tune all at once. We are looking at where they belong and what role they need to fit into in combat, as well as ways to preserve some roles that players enjoy without making them the best option at all times.

With all that in mind, please look at GWF performance alongside TR and HR as those are much closer to the performance values we would like to see. And we are aware of the struggle of Sentinels trying to hold threat and still be survivable. We want to examine tanking but we don't know when we will have something ready for that because it is a very difficult and complex set of changes to make Tanking feel gratifying without disabling gameplay for other players.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    split shot currently can crit between 9-10k in PvE per target and in PvP with tenacity, damage would still be pretty good and we're talking about an at-will here. it's understandable that this is a go-to for HRs because of limited encounter damage, but hopefully the new changes in addition to the split shot nerf will make the HR a well rounded character.
  • instantjaksinstantjaks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    Yes, it may crit for those values.....if u actually have the time to hold it down for 3 secs. In PvE maybe you do before the mobs completely obliterate you but in pvp??? I mean...cmon. They are killing the class with this nerf on Fox and Split, there is no way around it. 45% dmg reduction is too much, and considering they are not rising the dmg of the rest of the at-will its safe to say HR officially has no useful at-will power. Rapid shot is not rapid and definately not strong. Electric? cmon....As for Fox shift not hitting the same target more than once, this means a HR simply wont stand a chance against even DC..not even in 1 v 1 situations. Why do these actions are being taken? Bcs people complains on HR being too OPd, which they are not. Im a melee spec HR and Fox is simply my ace for pvp. Its completely useless for more than 2 targets right now bcs dmg is not enough when u split it. But now that it wont be able to hit a target more than once it means it wont even be useful for 1 v 1. So tell me now, considering Melee HR has no real dps encounters or at wills besides Fox, what Im I going to hit mobs and people with?? Mean looks?? And archer that cant kill things, a melee hunter that cant dmg things. Yay..
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nerfing anything for a purely PvP basis is a terrible move in any MMO. PvPers are a vastly smaller section of the playerbase than those who only PvE. PvPers are just much more vocal because of being competitive by nature.

I am new to Neverwinter, but a vet of a great many MMOs (including ALL Cryptic). I rolled HR because that was the class that appealed to me. I can see this nerf causing HUGE problems for my character build and it pisses me off.

I like this class and SS is not the only skill I use, but it is one of my key ones, and I see nothing that will be an acceptable alternative for the way I have built and play my toon. I have next to zero interest in PvP (I dabble a bit because I like a variety of activites) and to break a perfectly fine character build in the name of PvP balance (and in my limited experience even I can see this is the least of the issues as far as that goes) is unacceptable. I urge the HR community to get vocal about the proposed changes in an effort to make the devs reconsider.

But because I am familiar with Cryptic, I don't hold much hope.

Won't give up on my character, and happily found a great guild (so getting my HR into dungeon runs shouldn't be a problem) but it pains me to see a fun class crippled in the name of PvP balance. PvE players matter too devs, and we spend money. Or won't if you break our toons. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corlandithcorlandith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    And if you have ZERO interest in PvP?

That's me - ZERO interest in PvP, none, zilch, nada

PW never thinks things through, they tune to the vocal minority...
    edited April 2014
    I still have to disagree that HR is dead with fs and ss nerfs. With GOOD tanks, split the sky and thorn ward withers entire enemy teams down on nodes and there is time to narrow the SS beam enough to simply clear the node. They focus the gwf and cw until they see your name pop too much in kills then they focus you and its time to switch out powers to more control and buffs/combat. Want that perma-stealth TR gone? Put thorn ward and split the sky over the same node and the tr wont come close because it is only a mauraders rush and aimed strike from dead at that point. Or nerfed split shot. Give me a good gwf and I am pretty confident in owning mid node through the match while providing some support on the other nodes. Disrupt that enemy gwf before ferocious reaction ticks and they hit unstoppable, and tease/dodge/cc him to death.

This class can castrate tr's, pick apart gwfs, clear nodes with friendly tanks on them with relative ease, has tempory stealth, amazing self-healing, more encounters than any other class, the best aue dots in the game (imo), and a clearly op aoe at will. They lack the damage of cws of course, but they are far far more defensive. Like unlimited dodges and the ability to stealth-skip forward or backwards across the map as they please (marauders rush/escape), and some pretty nice defensive buffs.

True dex tank with fantastic ranged abilities.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited April 2014
    Newest updates on Neverwinter Preview...

Hunter Ranger
    Aspect of the Pack: Now correctly grants Combat Advantage to allies instead of only granting it to the Ranger. The Ranger still benefits from this effect as well.
    Boar Charge: This power now requires a target to be fired.
    Clear the Ground: Damage increased by roughly 50%.
    Commanding Shot: This power now also gains +10% damage when it ranks up.
    Electric Shot: Damage increased by roughly 100%.
    Fox Shift: This power may now strike any one target a maximum of 2 times.
    Hawkeye: This power was redesigned. It now grants you 15% bonus damage on the next attack. Allies gain half this benefit (based on the rank of the power).
    Hunter's Teamwork: Can now be picked up by allies not on your team. Both they and your team will be healed.
    Oakskin: Healing increased by 150%.
    Slasher's Mark: Damage increase by 300%.
    Split the Sky: Base Damage of this power increased by roughly 40%. Additionally fixed a bug with the way weapon damage was calculated by this power. There should be no net change from this fix.
    Thorn Strike: Base Damage of this power increased by roughly 40%.

Please stop crying.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    corlandith wrote: »
    That's me - ZERO interest in PvP, none, zilch, nada

PW never thinks things through, they tune to the vocal minority...

Since there is already logic that disables companion bonuses in PvP, I see no reason why PvP couldn't have different balancing rules (call it a nerf, whatever) than PvE. My biggest worry about a Split Shot nerf in PvE is that it would make it nigh impossible to not lose all your action points every time you faced four Powries in daily quests.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Newest updates on Neverwinter Preview...

Hunter Ranger
    Aspect of the Pack: Now correctly grants Combat Advantage to allies instead of only granting it to the Ranger. The Ranger still benefits from this effect as well.
    Fox Shift: This power may now strike any one target a maximum of 2 times.
    Hawkeye: This power was redesigned. It now grants you 15% bonus damage on the next attack. Allies gain half this benefit (based on the rank of the power).
    Oakskin: Healing increased by 150%.
    Thorn Strike: Base Damage of this power increased by roughly 40%.

Please stop crying.

These are the only ones that make a difference. And I find it funny that Split Shot is still stronger than Electric Shot, even with the bonus damage on the third hit. Except for maybe with scattered mobs and the Prime Critical feat. Those might give ES a slight edge.

And hustin, you need to reconsider your selection of powers if the trash mobs of Sharandar are giving you trouble.
    edited April 2014
    Putting more thought into this, split shot really is extremely op. The 40% nerf on NAKED split shot (minus any damage increasing feats or buffs) is more than made up for by those damage increasing feats and buffs. Splitshot as it is now with p.vorpal is just ridiculous. + the feats and buffs. Geez. It is the ranged offensive flipside of the same coin that gwf iv sent unstoppable is on. And I do think HR trumps even IV sent. Disrupt(ing shot) unstoppable when they are a like 15% health + marauders rush + fox shift and they are dead and mad and when they respawn you can kite them all over the map.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • elgorrelgorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    Biggest HR problem in Mod3 is SSA nerf, not Split Shot nerf.
    edited April 2014
    I disagree, scrambles. CtG is absolutely viable now. It's just a slight shift in rotation. For a normal pull, pre mod 3, for a typical group of 3 minions + 1 "brute," it would go Split Shot, Split Shot, Marauder's Rush, Fox Shift/Aimed Strike, Steel Breeze. (ME + another SS if needed)

after 3, we have to reverse our thinking. We're used to wiping the trash immediately with range, then the brute in melee. Try doing this instead - it's working quite effectively on Preview for me right now...

Aimed Shot, Marauder's Rush, Fox Shift/Clear the Ground, Clear the Ground, Steel Breeze (ME + Elec Shot if needed)
This discussion has been closed.