test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do YOU play?

ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I am a veteran of a few MMOs and I wanted to get this playerbases take on something I've noticed.

A great many forum posters and players in-game seem to only want to do things based on the rewards. Which leads me to ask the above question.

So, why do you play?

Is it to get the best gear and be decked out in purple, or to have adventures?

Everyone has a touch of the 'purple fever', you cannot deny that you want to gear your toon up. Why wouldn't you? But is that your sole motivation for playing a dungeon, skirmish, engaging in some PvP or event?

I myself play to have a fun adventure. I want to have a Dungeons and Dragons experience: team up with a valiant knight and a smarmy wizard to go off into wild places or dank dungeons to slay dragons and spiders and zombies. (Oh my) The gear I get out of it is just the cherry on top.

For some, it is not the destination but the journey. Just curious as to what the consensus is here, as a vocal part seems to be purely in it for the loots.

SO how about it Neverwinter community? Why do YOU play?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ricorosebud on

Comments

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All about progression to me. Being in a good guild helped me to this and helped build relationships. Though with a lack of rewarding content people have had enough of farming cn so I've mostly been crafting and playing the ah for my ad earning. Some are trying teso out and appear to like it, wasn't that keen on the style myself in beta but don't really wanna pay 15 a month to play :D. Unfortunately I continue to play games even if I don't have fun just to keep progressing which is what I'm doing now. Earning profound gear on my toons in particular. Not really a keen pvper...
  • iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    All about PvP for me. I love how the combat system worms in this game and how good the competition is at times. Everything else I do is just to be better at PvP. Lol my name says it all xD
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because the evil voices in my head, command me to.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really dislike both farming (boring) and pvp (many different reasons, some dating all the way back to my MUDding days). I like to explore a gaming environment, experience fun and interesting storylines, and feel that I am participating in a shared gaming world.
    I don't particularly care if I have the best gear. Good enough is good enough. So, I have no particular compulsion to go grinding away at the same dungeons over and over again to get the loot. I have better things to do with my time.
    I'd really love it if Cryptic were to 1) add more low-to-mid level content, and 2) give an option to slow down the amazingly fast level progression. There's not much of a destination when you get to 60, so I'd rather be able to enjoy the journey more. The loudest voices all demand more end-game content and more pvp content, though, so I suspect that's about all we'll get from Cryptic.

Much of the above really describes a lot of MMO experiences I've had, though. So what keeps me here as opposed to other MMOs?
    It's not the "D&D experience" because to me this game has very little to do with D&D. It's based on 4th edition, which I despise, and it has so few of the classic D&D monsters that define the system that it really could be any generic fantasy world. As far as being a "D&D experience" goes, I think Dungeons & Dragons Online did it better, and still does.
    It's not the world as provided by Cryptic. It's far too linear, with very little variation in where you go next. Much of it is extremely grind-oriented, which I'm not trilled with.
    It's certainly not the obsessive focus on zen store items. That's what drove me away from Champions, and I'm a lifetime subscriber there from back during beta.

What keeps me here is one thing: Foundry. It's the best place I've found to be able to actually create content, and experience the content that others have created. Even with the seriously gimped construction set, I still really enjoy making and sharing content here.

-- @Gruffydd
  • runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To kick some *** in PvP. >:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know it anymore... i want all companions and i want to max them ALL out to epic... but the more i play, the more it feels hollow...
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Waiting on Module 3. If it is poorly done, or just another grind with a few repeatable quests you must do for weeks, and then its' done, well then that will be what we can expect from now on , and I'll move on. I think 3 chances (i don't count GG, as it was such a huge disappointment for me, i refuse to think they took it seriously) is enough for any game.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Waiting on Module 3. If it is poorly done, or just another grind with a few repeatable quests you must do for weeks, and then its' done, well then that will be what we can expect from now on , and I'll move on. I think 3 chances (i don't count GG, as it was such a huge disappointment for me, i refuse to think they took it seriously) is enough for any game.

Umm yea, not sure how to break this to ya...gently. You might wanna just check the preview forums.

Can I haz your stuffz before this all gets edited out?
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good talking points here!

I don't mind that Cryptic plays fast and loose with the D&D universe, they have the familiar touchstones and that is good enough for a game with such engaging combat. The gameplay really is a bright spot. And Driders.

And, just as the poster above stated, the Foundry. I play Star Trek also (and Champs for that matter) and have found a wealth of great adventures via Foundry there. Sure, there are quite a bit of bad ones and quick 'booster' garbage, but there also you will find player created content far superior to anything Cryptic puts out. And that is not an insult to the devs, that is a compliment to the authors.

If Champs had Foundry....O> M> G!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Umm yea, not sure how to break this to ya...gently. You might wanna just check the preview forums.

Can I haz your stuffz before this all gets edited out?

It's not over till it's released. I want it to be good.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Its Neverwinter. What more is there to say?

They have good dungeon design (good rewards too a while back), also combat is very active & fun.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty much with Skalt. The only thing that drew me to this MMO was the Dungeon & Dragons title, since I like D&D (except 4ed), which had me hoping it would break out of the pack of derivative MMOs with something fresh. The combat side is fresh, but the rest is certainly lacking the D&D flavour. Instead of having classes with all the richness that D&D provides they concentrated on the DPS and the grind just like so many others in order to broaden the appeal. I continue to play in hopes that they will incorporate more utility into the classes. I am also playing to see what they do with the end of the Spellplague and the Tyranny of Dragons. I am cautiously optimistic that the game will improve with time, but we shall see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't really care about gear. I try to get my characters improved if the improvement methods are fun, but if it isn't fun for me I'll just be satisfied with what I have. I don't really like PVP usually. I do dungeons if I feel like it and, despite what my post may imply, my rogue is at 14k Gear Score and has completed VT. (Along with many other easier dungeons.)

The big draw for me is usually the foundry. When I get tired of everything else, there are always a few thousand foundries I have not yet played. I can also make quests, something I also enjoy doing.

Mostly though, I play the game because I have fun doing it, whether I'm in the mood for an interesting story in the foundry or a challenging dungeon delve, I can do it. If I didn't have fun, then I wouldn't consider it a game. I would use the word "job" instead.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • akeemoakeemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Becuse it's ACTION MMORPG and Weapon No positive hit. love it. ;) oh oh QUEUE System
  • drowbynightdrowbynight Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    I used to play STO although my preferred genre is fantasy games. What's good about Cryptic games are the hourly events that bring people to play together, it helps to move things faster. They are also pushing out short special events like Challenge of the Gods and skirmish events like Defend the temple regularly. The game is still being built up and the content is not as much as major MMOs out there, so these events helps to offset that disadvantage by continuously bringing fresh stuff in, to keep players interested. The foundries are flexible tools that allow creative players to build their own dungeons, I find that it is a pretty unique feature among MMOs, and players that play these foundries may find some that they enjoy, just for the fun of it even though the rewards are negligible.
  • soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    only because of good dynamic pvp, my character is hunter ranger
  • lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2014
    I play to relax and enjoying good stories /quests. As a lefty I despise quickbar combat so finally I have mmorpg with combat that I enjoy.
    Also I learned years ago that mmorpgs keep always pushing new gear out so there is no point grinding after those if you don't enjoy it.
    Better gear is always nice but I don't really care what I wear as long as it gets the job done. But **** you for making me grind for those boons that stick with my character forever :S

I also like to explore but lore items (which are very nice) and skill nodes haven't been enough to make me look around every corner in mob infested areas. Don't think I've come across single hidden quest in this game.
    As good as the combat is, it still ain't on par with fps games. So if I wanna do some pvp I'll go play something like PlanetSide 2.

At the moment it seems Foundry is the main reason that keeps me around. I try to do all the dungeons and skirmishes once, but with current queue system I gave up yesterday. I'll just do daily campaign grind and foundry until they fix the queue.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    to be honest, the only reason i keep playing is the friends i've made. If I had not found the amazing and friendly guild that i did, i probably would have quit a week after hitting 60 on my first toon.

its gotten to the point where if i log on and nobody else is online, i'll just do my pro-voking and log off. more than likely, once they're gone, i will be to
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wanna be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To catch them is my real test
    To train them is my cause.

I will travel across the world,
    Searching far and wide.
    Teach Companion to understand
    The power that's inside

Companion, (gotta catch them all) its you and me
    I know its my destiny
    Companion, oh, you're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    SO how about it Neverwinter community? Why do YOU play?

Some claim I don't play but I do play one to three Foundry missions a day. It is my opinion this game would just be another Champions Online without the Foundry. Unless they have changed it CO was and is a desolate MMO of chaos. If they had a Foundry on there I would write up some missions and review others.

I also played "Star Trek Online" to prepare for the coming of Neverwinter. I was part of the alpha testing and somewhat disappointed by the developers lack of interest in the Foundry at that time. To me the Foundry sets Cryptic games apart from the other MMOs. The reason I play and mostly write missions/quests/campaigns is due to these facts;

I am a fanstasy RPG player from 1986 back when we use paper, pencil, dice, and imagination. The churches loved hounding us back in those days. But if it wasn't for D&D I would never met my husband a DM at a session in 1989. We got married in 1990 and now have two adult sons. My sons played Guild Wars (not the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sequel) and showed me how much it was like D&D with social groups and role playing. I even tried World of Warcraft for a while but gave it up.

While surfing the internet I found Cryptic was making a D&D MMO with an editor. I decided to join up and found that they were testing it on STO. I am NOT a fan of Star Trek but I needed to learn the editor. I made my first mission on my son's account since you had to save up 10k dilithum crystals (Astral Diamonds) just to get the editor. "Borg 2.0 the Upgrade" was my first mission. I then made 2 comedies "The Other Starfleet?" and "The Other Academy". However there was a strong outcry in the community for some serious KDF missions. So I made "The Rights of the Many" which showed the other side and voiced their point of view. Some players didn't like the trial in that one but I think they were pro Federation. I started making another "The Empty Box" but numerous Foundry outages caused me to crawl inside my effexor bottle.

Link to those STO missions if you play it.

This is my Guild Wars wiki but I have been there for over 2 years and I beat most of the game. I am not publicizing GW because players mostly hang out now chatting like Second Life or IMVU and not doing much at all. I used to be in there 2 to 3 times daily but now it is more like 2 times a week.

So no I don't play for diamonds, except to give them away as tips to other authors. I don't go in for flashy mounts or armor. I am here to tell stories and hope you have fun playing in them.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I play because i see this game has so much potential, atm it's nice, the combats good and... the foundry could be better... yeah thats my point, there is so much in game but everything feels unfinished or less than what it could be, i have high hopes...
    Playing less recently, waiting for mod 3...
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I agree with almost everything you said, except the D&D part. It is what drives a lot of people towards this game. There are legions of D&D players that have been without a good game since Baldur's Gate and PlaneScape.
    Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and the shedloads of community made campaigns using their toolsets. Want 10 hour campaigns that can be completed comepletely via skill and conversation? They have those. Want hack and slash? They have that too.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • cerrillacerrilla Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's interesting you asked this just now, when i was talking about this very thing with my family. We came to this game approximately three weeks ago and are nearly to level 60 on our first toons. We joined this game because a very dear friend from an ages ago MMO has a guild here and said to try it out. So we left another PWI game where we had top level toons and had played for over three years to be here for a while. Honestly, it feels like there may be a great rush to 60 and then a dramatic fall off for engaging fun and entertainment. Can't really say yet but it sure feels like it.

Perhaps my major issue is with that one or two people in the game who are there to beat their chests about how wonderful their toons are but they offer little to no knowledge in helping the brand new person understand the desired qualities in a build. It seems i have already spent a fortune ( relative to drop rates) on upgrading items to be capable in the regular maps. My toon is simply inept on dungeons or on the foundries quests. Most foundries seem to be made for the hardcore players who want elite and top end everything, I have trouble finding middle of the road- just here to play for fun- stories. ( ok so I found two or three) My toon is abysmal in the pvp daily.

I see a lot of potential in this game. It has moments of sheer bliss when you land in a party that works well. Did the ice spire dungeon yesterday with an accidental party that was perfection as far as MMO goes. This isn't my first MMO rodeo. been playing them for years now. I dream of more experiences like that one yesterday. I am hoping to have some fun in dungeons more often after level 60, since someone said there was a way to go into them again.

I am not a fashion-ista. I can't be bothered to gather every pet in the game, all i need is a strong reliable one. Content is the reason for me playing. I like to relax and kill a few things after work. Is that so much to ask?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because the voices tell me to...and I always do what the voices tell me to.

:rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To have some fun.
    I likes some gear, yes, but I like the gear to be able to run the content - as opposed to running the content to get the gear.
    I come from the D&D side rather than the gaming side - the only games I play are D&D themed plus your odd empire building games like Civ - So I want the lore and classic monsters.
    I like leveling more than grinding at 60.
    cerrilla wrote: »
    it feels like there may be a great rush to 60 and then a dramatic fall off for engaging fun and entertainment. Can't really say yet but it sure feels like it.

I does seem the game changes after 60.
    There is steady progression until that point then it becomes a new ballgame of unlocking stuff and re-running for gear and upgrades.

As soon as I started this game, after only a few hours play gaining many levels w/o any effort, I thought "this isn't going to work - the leveling is way too fast".
    Things turned out better than I thought and I stayed but the initial feeling is still true.
    1- 60 is way too fast.
    You can't really stop and smell the roses at each stage because you log in at one level range and log out having gained several levels.

A competing Online Dungeons and Dragons game has a reincarnation system, whereby you can return to lower level and re-level your toon gaining a small degree of power each time.
    While there is complaint about this system from some, I like it.
    It gives a break from routine.
    You can grind some end game gear for a while and when you get bored go start fresh with a reincarnation and see the lower levels again with out rolling a new toon.
    I'd love something like that added.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Exploring the PvE environments, finding interesting places, visual and NPC easter eggs.

Most of all the Foundry because it allows me to tell stories and "paint" interesting interactive/alive 3-D environments.

PvP...meh. PvP so far has been miserable. If PvP doesn't have a huge PvP open area with multiple forts/keeps/castles and siege weapons, it's pretty much sub-par to me. Running around a small arena watching pre-teens thump there chests and race to the top of some leader board - no thanks. Call me when we have 50+ vs 50+ siege warfare.

...and of course, not being an "l33t d3wd" dripping with purple items and invested (wasted) dozens and dozens of hours "grinding" through Sharandar or the Dread ring -- well, I'm just not allowed to visit Icewind Dale. One thing I cannot stand is being told what I have to do. I constantly pushed through yellow and red "zones" that were supposed to be "certain death" for my character. Gear-score/grind-gating is absolutely worthless and it's only "effect" is to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-off (some of) the client base.

I've got a real-life 8+ hour a day job -- worthless grinding is not on the to-do list.

So, really, the only thing holding me here (by a thin-unraveling thread) is the Foundry. And for being a totally unique feature (they "claim" is important) in the MMORPG realm, it is drowning in bugs and deficiencies.
  • wyckedstudioswyckedstudios Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014

What keeps me here is one thing: Foundry. It's the best place I've found to be able to actually create content, and experience the content that others have created. Even with the seriously gimped construction set, I still really enjoy making and sharing content here.

-- @Gruffydd

^This. I was still playing NWN1 right up until this game went open beta for one major reason....a ton of player-created content.

And while I wish this game had greater diversity in its skills and feats, it is a worthy successor to the NWN franchise, and the Foundry will keep me coming back for a long time.....
  • ablettoabletto Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2014
    For me, it's exactly the same reason as you rico,

I should say I am highly picky with MMOs, playing mostly ones that allow vast freedom with little grind. My longest run being 6+ years of Ultima Online and 3-4 years of Runescape. Graphics are not a huge deal for me. Gameplay is.

Neverwinter on the other hand has continually surprised me by how similar it feels to a single player game, at least until you've experience all the content you can. I think it has (as previously mentioned) vast potential for some seriously cool RP'ing. While this aspect and the gameplay itself is incredibly fun I do feel it lacks PLENTY.

Frankly I'd like to see more player-to-player interaction, with more hardcore rule sets and a bit more rigidity in modeling the styles of D&D. Player thieving. Non-instanced areas. Player housing, Guild wars, and Factions are a few examples. Especially the non-instanced areas. How much cooler it would be to have a zone the playerbase could interact with and see each other's changes?
    Let's not forget multitudes of in-game monetary bonuses to do these things. Less hardcore railed and instanced scenarios, more open gameplay. More lore and RP, less same old, same old.

Module 3 at least addresses this somewhat and I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. That is why I'm (currently) playing. It's a good distraction for a few hours a day and doesn't seem to bore me to death like most every other MMO I've tried. Guess I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, high hopes for M3 and future updates :D
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Inertia.
    Elusive hope of seeing my class be made viable.
    Discovering the dungeons. Still have to see ToS, CN, VT, Malabog.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Finding neat ways of playing every class has always been my main motivation in playing MMO's. I've played a decent amount of them but not one of the other MMO's I've played so far will ever compare to NW's combat system which I really, really love. Now if only I had the freedom of attaining the items I need to create and test certain theoretical builds here in NW.