test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear Score Gating, out of hand?

silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
Ok , since news of upcoming Mod 3 artifacts, need you to have two level 60s with at least 3 boons done, I decided now is the time to level my CW, its been about a week since Ive been 60 and learning from my past experience with my first 60, I was pretty much at 10k the first day, with all purples and R5s at least on all slots, (I think Im at like 11.5k now)

I was thinking this is enough to run all the low stuff, including some t2s, but the only runs Im getting in even for FC is legit channel ones!

Seriously, anyone else thinks its a little out of hand.. Im seeing 13k only runs for FC in GG! You can do 4 runs with any group mixed around 10k!

Ive seen 11k only t1 runs!

15k only t2 runs (not vt/cn ones! , REGULAR t2 runs of FC/ToS and SP even PK!)

I know its easy to gear up per se, but come on! AT 12k ish you shouldnt have to be worried about not getting groups ! lol..

AS long as you semi know what your doing, being around there should be enough with trumpeting your GS+ whatever.. I would run all legit now if I could, but sometimes not enough people want to run stuff to get a party up and going, I would just queue, but since CT has been broken for a week, cant even get into a lower t1 stuff ! I went to Idiris the first day and someone commented that I was too low at 10k, I ended up second in damage, second in kills, second in damage taken and we did it no issue, I then did make a snide remark on how I "hope" I wasnt that much of a burden.. (I know I shouldnt have, but couldnt help myself)

Skill doesnt trump GS in the game I get that, but knowing the dungeons, rotations, where you need to be ect, still does account for some of it..

OUCH on this out of control gear score gating!

I would rant about peoples constant need for perfect party composition as well.. O know we cant have any gfs or trs, slow us down! Pfffttt.

Thanks for listening.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The groups wanting 13k+ players for FC and 15k+ players for T2 dungeons are the speed-running groups. They are not gearing up, they are just interested in running the dungeons lots of times, as fast as they can, to get loot.

In my experience, the Legit channel (which is awesome, BTW) and my guild are the only places that are amenable to helping people get through T2 dungeons for the purpose of gearing up rather than acquiring lots of loot.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    If these are private parties then it is just not for you to complain about it. If they want to play by their own rules and do not take everybody in then it is none of your business to concern yourself with them. You also do not go to role players and tell them to stop monkeying around and to play the game properly, do you?

Just because one can get to 10k in a day or two does not mean you should now be able to run every dungeon, too. It takes a while to get to 13k, but it is not really hard either. Took me a month with my first char to get to 13k.

Here are a few tips:

- You can get into a T1 PvP armor set pretty fast, which is good enough for T1 dungeons. Do the Dungeon Delve events and pick up a nice T1 armor for PvE and you are already at 11k or so.

- Get the T2 Grim PvP weapons. These can be had in less than a week if you win just one match per day for the seals.

- Then read the guides, formulas, etc. and get an idea what properties you should have and which ones are not so important for your class. Then get T1 or T2 necklace, ring and belt from PvP. There are a lot of different ones you can choose from and it lets you build a very nice character without any hassle.

- Then buy rank 7 enchantments. These are a lot cheaper than upgrading a rank 6 to 7, or any lower enchantment. You can get them for 30k-75k AD on the market.

- Also get a gemmed shirt and pants of the market and put enchantments in them. These cost around 100k-120k AD currently.

- Doing the Sharandar and Dread Ring campaign half way, which can be done in a week, will give you 4 or 5 boons.

You should be at 13k GS now.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My CW has a GS of like, 10.4k - all <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear btw. The Legit channel is the only place that will let me run dungeons; the only place! I have very little experience with dungeons. I've done Pirate, Crag, and last night we did Frozen Heart & Karr (big dragon guy). My point is, gearing up is tough for me due to low gear score and lack of experience.

Legit Channel FTW!!!!!111!
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    In my experience, the Legit channel (which is awesome, BTW) and my guild are the only places that are amenable to helping people get through T2 dungeons for the purpose of gearing up rather than acquiring lots of loot.

Yours is not the only guild that will help people gear up.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Nothing wrong with being efficient with your time by only taking similarly elite individuals. There are numerous ways and opportunities in this game to make significant in game cash so that you could get to a similar level with the simplest being buying it instantly.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone else thinks its a little out of hand.. Im seeing 13k only runs for FC in GG! You can do 4 runs with any group mixed around 10k!

Ive seen 11k only t1 runs!

15k only t2 runs (not vt/cn ones! , REGULAR t2 runs of FC/ToS and SP even PK!)

I know its easy to gear up per se, but come on! AT 12k ish you shouldnt have to be worried about not getting groups ! lol...

Lol yeah no kidding, I agree with you.

I was looking at some people trying to set those up going... are you Fn Serious?

Yeah I agree you don't need a 15k GS to run Karra or Frozen Heart. Those are practically soloble in those gear scores. I just think to myself... LOL are you that sorry you need that overgeared of a party for runs that puny?

Its starting to become a joke.
  • Options
    arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »

- Doing the Sharandar and Dread Ring campaign half way, which can be done in a week, will give you 4 or 5 boons.

You're mistaken about the time sink (unless you're describing purchasing lair keys).

Sharandar:

The first 2 boons only cost sparks, crescents, and AD, so you can get those 2 within a week, but there is no "half" there is either 2 of 5 or 3 of 5, so I'm going to assume everyone will at least get the 3rd boon, to do that:

seed of hope (3 seeds, 10 sparks x1): 1 day - are then told to return the following day

plant seedlings (3 seeds, 10 sparks x3): 3 days - allows 1st boon

reinforce wards (3 charms, 10 sparks x 9): 9 days - allows access to realm of malabog

You need 18 of the currency from realm of malabog, so we can chalk that to 6 days

minimum time (1+3+9+6): 19 days

Dread ring:

This one is simply how many lairs per boon unlock, which is (3+6+7): 16 days

so to get 3 boons in either, it requires a minimum of 16 days (DR).
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    As others have mentioned, these are private rules set up by players who just want to speed run through stuff.

The easy way to avoid that is to join the Legit Channel.
    Alternatively you can join a guild which focuses on letting players play the way they enjoy playing.

But this is not Cryptic pushing the rules. That is the player base and more specifically a small fraction of it typically labelled as "elitists."
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a new L 60 and I have only 8700 GS at the moment and I have run all T2's minus TOS at this point. Anyone saying you need 13k to run T2's is an @#$% and F off.

PS... Long Live Legit
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    No 60 should have below 11K GS. It's an insult to your fellow party members, whatever you do, PvE or PvP. You can achieve 11K with cheap epics and blues and Rank 6 enchants or so, which are cheap as well. Only from doing dailies and leadership on your way to 60 you should have enough for 11K.
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No 60 should have below 11K GS. It's an insult to your fellow party members, whatever you do, PvE or PvP. You can achieve 11K with cheap epics and blues and Rank 6 enchants or so, which are cheap as well. Only from doing dailies and leadership on your way to 60 you should have enough for 11K.

You can get to 60 pretty fast now. You won't make enough AD to be able to afford all of that unless you PTW.
  • Options
    ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited April 2014

This may be true for experienced players with other 60s, but not for a fresh 60. In fact, I just geared up a fresh DC that hit 60 due to invocation with a full set of cheap T1 purples and the GS is far below 10k. To get to 10k I will have to spend at least 300K AD. Not a lot, but not something "new" 60's would immediately have available.

In any case GS is a big lie. I've seen folks mixing and matching T2,T2.5 sets to maximize GS at the expense of party damage (losing some really good 4 piece bonuses).

Likewise, I've seen 10K folks outdamage 14K GS players.

I suppose it does set a baseline, but it certainly is not WYSYWYG.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I mean, this is a community issue. MMOs tend to have this type of community

Nothing much Cryptic can do about it
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    As others have mentioned, these are private rules set up by players who just want to speed run through stuff.

Alternatively you can join a guild which focuses on letting players play the way they enjoy playing.

But this is not Cryptic pushing the rules. That is the player base and more specifically a small fraction of it typically labelled as "elitists."

I dont think this is a small fraction. As all you see in /lfg is these kinds of things, and other players are assuming this is the norm and also asking for the same things. This behavior is increasing more and more.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    arsonall82 wrote: »
    ... so I'm going to assume ...
    No... I was talking about the unlock percentage. They were quickly at 45% for Dread Ring and 55% for Sharandar for me, if I remember correctly. It is also why I said that you will have 4 or 5 boons by then. I am not sure how many exactly you can get in a week. The later ones then do not actually go into the gear score. I am really just helping out the OP with a few tips how one can get the GS up to make others happy and do not want to start a discussion how long it exactly takes ... The less you think about it the faster it will be.

How good or bad a player is with their character, with teamwork and interpersonal skill is not determined by the gear score.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    xushin7 wrote: »
    I dont think this is a small fraction. As all you see in /lfg is these kinds of things, and other players are assuming this is the norm and also asking for the same things. This behavior is increasing more and more.

Agreed. Most of the players in the LFG belong in that elitist category. There are a lot of casual players, but then again these are the same people that either run dungeons with their close friends, don't run dungeons much if at all, don't know how to use the LFG much.

This is why fixing the queue is important. WE know how to use the LFG channel, how to join good guilds and run with them, but other people who need it the most are the ones who aren't resourceful in finding other ways to get groups
  • Options
    edited April 2014

No you're definitely right,

Anyone can want any type of group they choose...

....but it doesn't mean its any less pathetic to see someone trying to form a group with a minimum 15k GS for something like Karra or Frozen Heart.

How can one suck that badly at the game.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It should be pointed out as well that before Mod2, the GS values being mentioned in the OP would have been seriously high yet people were beating the dungeons before that. Karru has actually gotten easier since launch. The first times I went in there the first pull often ended up with at least one person getting a trip back to the campfire after getting prone locked.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    It should be pointed out as well that before Mod2, the GS values being mentioned in the OP would have been seriously high yet people were beating the dungeons before that. Karru has actually gotten easier since launch. The first times I went in there the first pull often ended up with at least one person getting a trip back to the campfire after getting prone locked.

People were beating dungeons months ago when the highest GS you would see is 12.5k GS and the norm was 11k GS
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Ok. Going to explain something about this game and the free choice within it.

1- you can choose whether or not to buy gear with money.
    2- you can choose to have low GS and still run dungeons
    3- other players can choose whether or not to take you

Most of these people, including me, don't care if you can still do the dungeon in low gear, it still takes longer. I hate PVE and do it as a last resort, and i would rather have a 15k CW than a 11k CW so I don't have to take any longer than I need to.
  • Options
    iaccidentally47iaccidentally47 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In order to get runs with a low GS (even though it really doesn't matter that much, and is a very deceiving measure), you usually have a few good options. First, you can run with your guild (or join one if you don't have one, there are lots of good guilds). You can also try asking in the legit channel, lots of people (myself included) are usually willing to take a lower player in need of gear along. We ran (and completed, with no wipes) Frozen Heart today, I was the only one over 12k, and it was our DC's first epic dungeon ever. We cleared the whole dungeon with only 4 of us (GWF, GF, TR, and DC). So, legit is a great option for getting geared and finding nice people to run with for sure. You can also try making the group yourself. Half the people I see in LFG asking for "14k+ for Karru" or whatever don't even meet their own requirement, and are often much lower than it (in other words, they are really just looking for people to carry them).
    Miss Anthropy - 15.7k CW | Miss Andrist - 19k GWF | DC (14.5k) | TR (14.5k) | HR(14k) | GF(15.5k)
    Lowbies: DC (level 31) | HR (level 16)
    You can almost always find me in the legit channel. Happy Adventuring!
    GWF guide: click me
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'll repeat it again, this is a community issue.

The fact that it is getting out of hand signifies there aren't enough new players coming in, the few players who stay have progressed so high up(it is easy to get BIS gear in this game compared to other MMOs) that they have higher expectations now.
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    empalas wrote: »
    You can get to 60 pretty fast now. You won't make enough AD to be able to afford all of that unless you PTW.

Well this was my first character I leveled my own, and didn't spend anything on it at all. I took my time (maybe 7-8 days). When I got to 60 I had the AD to get 11K GS in a few hours, and it was not a lot. A rank 6 was just 5-6K AD. Blue items just 100 AD. I poured all my excess enchants into the Waters artifact, now it's blue. Now I have even more GS cause I got some free epics from daily lairs and also some boons.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well this was my first character I leveled my own, and didn't spend anything on it at all. I took my time (maybe 7-8 days). When I got to 60 I had the AD to get 11K GS in a few hours, and it was not a lot. A rank 6 was just 5-6K AD. Blue items just 100 AD. I poured all my excess enchants into the Waters artifact, now it's blue. Now I have even more GS cause I got some free epics from daily lairs and also some boons.

Yeah but you couldn't possibly suck so bad at the game you need a 15K+ GS to run Karra or Frozen Heart.

Lol you can ROLFSTOMP that dungeon in a 13k. Heck you can run it in a 12k party and still beat the thing.

I mean seriously 15K???

Lol!!
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    About gear scores:many players mention that in the past with lower gs they could beat the dungs while newer players with higher gs now they can't beat them.

However they forget to mention the following:
    That in the past dungs clearing was easier with considerable lower gs than advertized in lfg chanell today because:

1)An indefinite number of glitches ,bugs and exploits that people were using consinstently up to mod 2: ToS adds push over,Tos boss fight from the door,LoMD chartifilax glitches,etc....

2)The "exploits" people were using.For example 2 Gfs with KC were buffing each other in succesion stacking really high power.

3)tenebrous back then was the norm for offence slot cause it ticked every 7-10 secs.From 20s now.With 5 lesser tenebrous a toon of 30k hp back then was doing extra 1500 damage every 10 secs.Multiply by 3 or 4 toons to see the difference in overall dps party.

4)Stalwart bulwark armor was granting insane power to Gfs ,some at certain buffs reaching astronomical numbers and killing bosses with 5 hits.

5)plaguefire back then it stacked between players.For example a 15% defence debuff -actually a 15 % damage buff was stacking with players using both the PF.If were attacking a single add they could buff their damage each by 45% increase to an already 45% increase..do the math.each was buffing each other.In the end both were having 60-70% damage increae if were 2 with PF.if were 5? Do the maths.Actually none did it it was so bugged it gave inconsisted results.Now count as well the additionals buffs and debuffs that increase dmg....

these are the only i remember.And hell i am a Gf i remember these cause i heared them concerning directly and indirectly my class.And we are/were a tiny minority.Imagine what other dmg exploits the other classes were using.

Bottom line.game was in beta with huge exploits/glitches.Everything could bypasses using other means than skill.
    it is little strange new players to complain all the times about LoMD and fail to finish it with 10-11 gs while old players did that with 9-10gs at most.Maybe it was under spesific circumstances that i described up,the game easier back then????
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    About gear scores:many players mention that in the past with lower gs they could beat the dungs while newer players with higher gs now they can't beat them.

That in the past dungs clearing was easier with considerable lower gs than advertized in lfg chanell today because:

Look I was there, I totally get what you're saying.

There have been a lot of nerfs since then and the classes have as a whole lost serious power compared to what they used to be able to do I ran them back at those minimum gear scores and legit back then... so I do hear you...

... but... Seriously...

A 15k to run Karra and Frozen Heart?

Thats just plain ludicrous.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I believe somebody put it fairly elegantly before...

People in LFG are not the majority of players. Players in guilds such as mine do not use LFG. We do full guild runs or pick people up from legit because there is less risk of getting a less than desirable player.

People who don't like the elitist nonsense avoid the LFG channel like the plague. I honestly don't think it is a widespread issue but just that the vast majority of players can recognize a unfriendly place when they see one.

That doesn't mean what we have is perfect but it is what it is for now and there is no way to stop people from setting ridiculous limitations on their group compositions.

The queue was abandoned because mmixing the elitists and the rest of the player base ended badly more often then not. LFG didn't fix that either so the rest of the player base abandoned it and moved to a less hostile environment.

The only way to really do better than what we has is by making an Auction House style group forming system but that is no tiny request.
  • Options
    iaccidentally47iaccidentally47 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

1)An indefinite number of glitches ,bugs and exploits that people were using consinstently up to mod 2: ToS adds push over,Tos boss fight from the door,LoMD chartifilax glitches,etc....

2)The "exploits" people were using.For example 2 Gfs with KC were buffing each other in succesion stacking really high power.

3)tenebrous back then was the norm for offence slot cause it ticked every 7-10 secs.From 20s now.With 5 lesser tenebrous a toon of 30k hp back then was doing extra 1500 damage every 10 secs.Multiply by 3 or 4 toons to see the difference in overall dps party.

4)Stalwart bulwark armor was granting insane power to Gfs ,some at certain buffs reaching astronomical numbers and killing bosses with 5 hits.

5)plaguefire back then it stacked between players.For example a 15% defence debuff -actually a 15 % damage buff was stacking with players using both the PF.If were attacking a single add they could buff their damage each by 45% increase to an already 45% increase..do the math.each was buffing each other.In the end both were having 60-70% damage increae if were 2 with PF.if were 5? Do the maths.Actually none did it it was so bugged it gave inconsisted results.Now count as well the additionals buffs and debuffs that increase dmg....

these are the only i remember.And hell i am a Gf i remember these cause i heared them concerning directly and indirectly my class.And we are/were a tiny minority.Imagine what other dmg exploits the other classes were using.

Bottom line.game was in beta with huge exploits/glitches.Everything could bypasses using other means than skill.
    it is little strange new players to complain all the times about LoMD and fail to finish it with 10-11 gs while old players did that with 9-10gs at most.Maybe it was under spesific circumstances that i described up,the game easier back then????

While much of this may be true, and plenty of people did use bugs and exploits to clear (and still do), however, plenty of people were also clearing these dungeons legit. They still are. We 4 manned FH with an average GS around 11k without wiping once. We cleared MC with a 12k group, many missing weapon/armor enchants, and no DC. I can remember beating T2's with only 9k back in the day, and I was not exploiting. So, while what you say may be true, it is also true that people were getting by with low GS just fine before. Of course it was much slower, but that was never the point. The real reason people are asking for insane GS is so they can speedrun through content. Oh, and it is often just as fast or faster to burn through things than to try to glitch them. A good group can clear ToS just as fast or faster than any exploit group. Skill and teamwork will always be more important than having a high GS.
    Miss Anthropy - 15.7k CW | Miss Andrist - 19k GWF | DC (14.5k) | TR (14.5k) | HR(14k) | GF(15.5k)
    Lowbies: DC (level 31) | HR (level 16)
    You can almost always find me in the legit channel. Happy Adventuring!
    GWF guide: click me
  • Options
    alcibaides415bcalcibaides415bc Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    LFG is freaking awful. Its filled with elitists and people who buy their equipment but don't even understand their class. The 15k gs requirements to join their little party is sad, because you actually dont need an outrageous gs for speedruns, just good weapon enchants and skill. When my CW was 11k i was usually the one carrying my LFG team in DPS and damage taken despite being 3k gs lower than the next lowest gs person in my party. The problem is that there are no global stats that show your performance independent of gear score, so people think GS means that person is good, when more often than not, it doesn't mean anything.