test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any way to reduce ping for SEA and Australian players?

hengyu1995hengyu1995 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
As usual, the lag in any North American-hosted MMO is pretty bad.

I am playing from Singapore, and I consistently get 300+ms, and while the game is largely playable, it is extremely annoying for me to be hit by a huge boss attack although my character has already visibly stepped out of the red area a split second before the attack hit. It also makes it pretty difficult for a guardian to time his blocks.

Therefore I would really like to find a way to mitigate this issue, but I have no idea where to begin. Anyone with suggestions?
Post edited by hengyu1995 on

Comments

• eraedal1eraedal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    don't move to Europe, i get a lot of disconnects. wich i think is the same issue. no response from cryptic so far...
  • hengyu1995hengyu1995 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eraedal1 wrote: »
    don't move to Europe, i get a lot of disconnects. wich i think is the same issue. no response from cryptic so far...

That sucks... It seems like physical distance is the number one cause of horrible pings if that's also the case in Europe =/
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Physical distance always is. At least this game is somewhat more lenient than other games in relation to ping since many attacks are telegraphed.
  • shadowreturnsshadowreturns Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    First off, im sorry for digging up an old thread but i don't have permission to make a new thread so i'll get right to it.

I didn't play the game yet, but i'v heard that there is only USA servers for this game, which worries me, through some googling i found a server IP for one of the Server for D&D Neverwinter (208.95.185.41) and i got an average ping of 300-350, is this playable because from my experiences in FPS and MOBO games 300 is a bad ping. Because me and my friends are planning to start this game and we from Asia (I'm from Sri lanka they are from India )

So the question : 300-350 ping is playable?
    Why no SEA or EU servers?
  • lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2014
    It is playable but you will notice it. I'm from northern Europe and I get occasional rubber banding get hit by boss attacks even though screen shows that I'm safe.
    But don't let this discourage you. It is great game and try it yourself how it plays. And turning off on demand patching helps also.
    edited April 2014
    lolssi83 wrote: »
    It is playable but you will notice it. I'm from northern Europe and I get occasional rubber banding get hit by boss attacks even though screen shows that I'm safe.
    But don't let this discourage you. It is great game and try it yourself how it plays. And turning off on demand patching helps also.

I'm sure it's a great game, but i'm trying to convince myself that the rubber banding wouldn't destroy the experience i may get and that this game might soon gather dust in my Hard drive.

But I'll give it a go. I really hope to spend money on micro-transactions in this game. But i simply don't understand why a game like this only has servers in the US. Really hope they would consider adding more servers.
    edited April 2014
    Well, I tried the game.

Don't think i could add anything to what you said, it is noticeable and it is VERY annoying!

Almost a year since the game is released and I would think that you guys would have considered a Server in Australia/Singapore at the very least, if it is because you don't have enough players from SEA actively playing that you considered not adding a server, well how would you expect them to continue to play if their only option was a USA server? This is purely speculation but please consider adding a server in the east side of the world.

I'm considered a scape goat, which basically means i try the games and determine if it worth playing before giving the 'green' light for my friends to start downloading (Most countries in Asia have download caps :( ) They had similar pings as mine when i gave them the IP to Ping and they are highly sensitive when it comes to pings.

Guess only people in North america can play this game without lags and reap the full experience of the game.

It is a real shame. I'll try to play more but honestly it's just to annoying to Warp around.
  • packetjpacketj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, I tried the game.

Don't think i could add anything to what you said, it is noticeable and it is VERY annoying!

Almost a year since the game is released and I would think that you guys would have considered a Server in Australia/Singapore at the very least, if it is because you don't have enough players from SEA actively playing that you considered not adding a server, well how would you expect them to continue to play if their only option was a USA server? This is purely speculation but please consider adding a server in the east side of the world.

I'm considered a scape goat, which basically means i try the games and determine if it worth playing before giving the 'green' light for my friends to start downloading (Most countries in Asia have download caps :( ) They had similar pings as mine when i gave them the IP to Ping and they are highly sensitive when it comes to pings.

It is a real shame. I'll try to play more but honestly it's just to annoying to Warp around.

I have to agree with this. I'm from SEA and constantly getting 300+ ping all the time. I guess for PVE it's tolerable but not in PVP. Constant rubber banding makes my head hurt.
    edited April 2014
    Couldn't find any official statement regarding acknowledgement to this issue, I'm guess this hasn't been brought more times than it should have. :S

Really wish I could post new threads, maybe this is one of the reasons, because many others like me would have gone to the forums solely to make sure the server issue is noted. But had lacked the ability to create new threads would have immediately discouraged them and would have given up.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just moved from the East Coast USA to Japan and the ping issues are definitely noticable. I'd wager PVP is unplayable and PVE is largely annoying now. Not sure what to do as I enjoy'd the game, having played it for nearly a year how it was meant to be played with low latency (~50 ping) and compared to now, it's borderline unplayable, and certainly not enjoyable.
  • xnordicxxnordicx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good way to start to reduce the lagg would be if PWE/Cryptic changed server host since the current one has problems way to often.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm from Brazil and I too get pings of 250ms+ and while 250ms can be good enough, often I ruberband back on a red spot, a pvp enemy atack me first even if it would have been impossible and on dungeon I lag at least on two critical dps or dodging moments.

they really should address it somehow better lag compensation or something like that, but atm they didnt, what they did was make it worse, after they changed dodges and blocks to server side, my powers been lagging and must be pressed several times to work properly, specially on my cw.
    edited April 2014
    lionmaruu0 wrote: »
    I'm from Brazil and I too get pings of 250ms+ and while 250ms can be good enough, often I ruberband back on a red spot, a pvp enemy atack me first even if it would have been impossible and on dungeon I lag at least on two critical dps or dodging moments.

they really should address it somehow better lag compensation or something like that, but atm they didnt, what they did was make it worse, after they changed dodges and blocks to server side, my powers been lagging and must be pressed several times to work properly, specially on my cw.

I agree with that. If somehow PWE/Cryptic is unable to install servers for players in the east then they SHOULD look into alternatives like this.

Extremely disappointing. I would love to play this game but a year after it's release and not even a EU server, most gaming companies i know would have at least conjured a EU server in that time-frame . I have my hopes for PWE/Cryptic but I'v never played their games (besides D&D neverwinter of course) or experienced their support so i can't be confident that a EU/SEA server would ever exist and for all i know they could just be focused on US but i really hope that isn't the case. If it's a company like Valve which i know then i would be entirely confident that they will bring more servers online, i guess i have to give PWE/Cryptic a chance.

But a statement wouldn't hurt, even if its to say "We have not currently made any decisions on server in SEA/Aus because of etc etc etc, but we would implement one in the near future"

It would stop me from checking the forums every now and then.
    edited April 2014
    Don't want this to get buried soo,

BUMP!
  • klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm Singaporean, playing in Singapore.

I have to agree.

It is very noticable and I hope this will get some attention from the developers.

Cryptic, you are losing out on the Asian market.
    edited April 2014
    I'm entirely confident that we would get a response soon.
  • xxicysxxxxicysxx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pretty sure there will not be a reply that will satisfy nor commit to solve this problem.
    edited April 2014
    xxicysxx wrote: »
    pretty sure there will not be a reply that will satisfy nor commit to solve this problem.

Well I wouldn't know. Don't know how Cryptic dev would respond, if they are the types that would sweep things like these under the carpet then that would be a crying shame.

I was trying to be optimistic.

But yea your post does make sense, a year after its release and no didn't included addition servers, why the **** would they include it now. It's obvious their primary focus IS the US.

I'm such an idiot.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic has ALWAYS used a single shard setup in ALL of their games (live shards, preview shards are a different matter). This has nothing to do with regional preferences or bias.

There are launcher proxies for EU and NA players. However, there is still only the one live shard for any given Cryptic game.

I will also remind the players that targeting posts or threads to the devs is a violation of rule 3.14. Posts are not obligated to have a staff or dev response, and such demands are neither constructive nor conducive to discussion.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • tittlemcgrittletittlemcgrittle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know if this would help but you could try out smoothping
  • kepikahunakepikahuna Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm from SG too. The way the game is set up with a single shard means it's unlikely Cryptic will commit to a foreign server. I've been playing for almost a year and yeah, ping is about 250 to 300 ms. PVE is ok. PVP is painful, even with the ability to predict the moves of your opponents most times. You have to decide whether the game content is worth playing or not. If not then playing something else with a SEA server may be more rewarding.
    edited April 2014
    Just tried pingzapper and I did get an extra boost in terms of real time damage and reduced rubber banding. Go give it a try, they have free trial. I already subscribed for 1 month ($3.99).
  • doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Although I don't have this problem. I live in the magical land of Canada and I don't understand the lack of Euro/Asian servers. PWE is a China based company and they are cutting their throats not supplying to this market. I know personally, I would think twice about making Zen purchase, if I had to pay $48 a year to play this game.
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    doctordna wrote: »
    PWE is a China based company and they are cutting their throats not supplying to this market.

That's not correct. Perfect World is based in China. However, PWE (the publisher of Neverwinter) is a North American subsidiary that is based in California.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For the safety and security of other posters, please do not post links to third party software on our forums. Thanks!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • eugenesyseugenesys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kepikahuna wrote: »
    I'm from SG too. The way the game is set up with a single shard means it's unlikely Cryptic will commit to a foreign server. I've been playing for almost a year and yeah, ping is about 250 to 300 ms. PVE is ok. PVP is painful, even with the ability to predict the moves of your opponents most times. You have to decide whether the game content is worth playing or not. If not then playing something else with a SEA server may be more rewarding.

I'm from SG too.
    Lag is terrible in Protector's enclave, depending on when you are playing
    Otherwise, it is pretty decent overall...

If you are playing at the same time as he majority of the people, your mileage will vary....
    300MS ping times is good enough from Sg to an American server.

Feel free to add me ingame but i think it also depends on the routing of your ISP ( which ISP are you using ).
    edited April 2014
    Do you guys get any delay? Like sometimes i get 1-2secs delay.
    edited April 2014
    doctordna wrote: »
    Although I don't have this problem. I live in the magical land of Canada and I don't understand the lack of Euro/Asian servers. PWE is a China based company and they are cutting their throats not supplying to this market. I know personally, I would think twice about making Zen purchase, if I had to pay $48 a year to play this game.
    thebriman wrote: »
    That's not correct. Perfect World is based in China. However, PWE (the publisher of Neverwinter) is a North American subsidiary that is based in California.

Well, could they at least create a proxy for Asia like what we have right now for EU and NA?
    For the safety and security of other posters, please do not post links to third party software on our forums. Thanks!!

Sorry, new to this forum.
  • theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As far as I know there is already a Russian shard, and playtesting is was planned for Chinese players on US servers, but eventually there will be a Chinese shard. Characters created in those shards cannot however interact or trade with those on US servers.

I play in Australia, 300-350 ping is the norm. Some days there will be huge lag spikes also, especially when zoning. This is usually exacerbated during DD hour or popular events like Call to Arms skirmish.

In terms of playing with ping, if the ping is constant PvE is manageable. I main a DC and still do fine the majority of the time, but you have to play partly in the future and anticipate what will happen. If you have spiky ping, where all of a sudden you lose a lot of packets then it gets very frustrating. Generally by the time you see red there's only a very small window to get out of it, so it's not as forgiving. I recommend playing a ranged class like DC/CW or archer HR. Playing melee classes can be very difficult, not just because of the rubber banding (threatening rush is a prime culprit) but because many bosses have a point blank AoE that can 1 shot you and with lag those are very unforgiving. Your tab mechanic will frequently fail on you when need also (block/unstoppable). My GF/GWF and HR has a lot of problems playing to their full potentials because of these issues. HR particularly is very tricky because of the incentive to switch modes..if you don't time things well you'll be a splat later.

In terms of PvP at mid to high level it can be absolutely frustrating. Some matches are ok but some you pretty much get hit before you see it. This means prone chains are absolutely devastating because they have already such a narrow window for dodging and countering. Other players will just think you're standing still being stupid. In Gauntlgrym it is not unusual for my comp to freeze for 2-3 seconds every 20s or so which is more than enough for you to die or be caught in a very bad place.

Overall it hasn't stopped me playing and enjoying the game, although there is always an extra element of frustration, and there are just days where the lag is so bad I can't play, just try to take it as well as you can and if things go south you can always blame it on 'the lag' and not feel too bad :).
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
  • fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    ~300 ping is pretty much playable, I am from India here and I get around 300 ping. The only time it becomes frustrating is when it nears the ~400ms mark.

TR: I started as executioner, have problems with staying perma stealth because of the unforgiving ping. Also I haven't got well to moving ahead while using duellist's flurry because I keep getting rubberbanded. A TR can stand in red circles by timing ITC and duellists flurry immunity but sometimes my ITC fails to activate on time. Overall not a bad class to play with ~300 ping.

DC: This will probably make you good at predicting incoming damage. Sometimes I would see people about to die and when I activate Divine Armor, he is already dead. I stacked a ton of defense just to be safe here (moving some of them to HP now.)

HR: The class I find hardest to play with my latency. I always have to use two shifts just to dodge even the smallest aoes and even then, I will occasionally get pulled back. Aiming rain of arrows is quite difficult. In pvp, I can never dodge attacks.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin