test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Am I being naive by choosing greed on dungeons?

kralmoekralmoe Member Posts: 42 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
I find this need or greed system rather annoying.
I started doing dungeons lately and as the party often say "everything greed ppl" I choose every single time "greed". I have the strong feeling that I am being very naive by choosing this 'greed' every time because I almost dont get any item at all (never ever I got an epic one, only once or twice I got a worthless item) while the rest of the party are getting lots of good items. I suspect other members of the party are choosing 'need'. I dont really mind if I dont get a blue item but I do mind when they are epic.
My question is: how do I know when people are choosing 'need' or 'greed'? and am I being really naive?
Post edited by kralmoe on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can see what others are choosing on loot rolls. If everyone, on the onset of a dungeon, agrees to only roll "greed", and you see others choosing need - call them out on it. Ask, in team chat - "are we rolling greed on everything, because some people didn't" - no need to point out the specific people at this point, as it may be a genuine accident/mistake. If you see that people continue to choose need after that, then make one further mention of it, and if they fail to adhere to their own agreement, then consider leaving the team.

If you are doing the honorable thing, and sticking to the terms agreed to ahead of time, then all you are doing by remaining with the rest of the team is helping them to line their own pockets. I will add one addendum - if this is during a dungeon delve, and the timer won't permit you to join another dungeon delve team, then it may be worth it to stick things out so you can at least get your DD chest at the end.

If all else fails, try to find some people that *do* stick to the loot rules they agreed to, and add them as friends - try to grow your group of "trustworthy adventurers" and stick to teaming with them whenever possible. I also recommend trying out the legit channel (see my sig) as those folks have been very good about sticking to the agreed-upon loot rules.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How to know if someone chose need when you chose greed:
    1. The roll result says "You chose greed!"
    2. When you look back in your chat for the loot result, it says (Need) on their roll method

The two easiest ways to tell right there. You might just have really bad luck. As for getting stuff not worth a lot, welcome to dungeons!
  • Options
    demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    It's not naive, it's just being fair, everyone in the party participated (of course including the burdens who don't really do anything), everyone stand an equal chance on the loot.

But in the end it's your decision, since you can click either option.

And if you Need on an item when the party was advertised as a Greed party, then you've just shown your party and yourself that your words are worth lesser than a virtual item, which is a joke.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thx for your tips but in dungeons while fighting I find extremely difficult to look at the roll results, probably due to my inexperience.
  • Options
    yethensyethens Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't like this system neither. In fact it sucks. Sometimes the party keeps their word and greed until the epic stuff comes and you dont get nothing. Then looking at the log you see that others did click need and got everything. It has happened to me quite a few times. So what can you do about that? Leave when you are in DD and not far from the chest? Imho this has to change.
  • Options
    teraakronteraakron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What is the consensus on this:

If I am on a so-called 'greed run' from LFG, and a T2 armor piece I genuinely need drops (i.e. I am going to wear it), do I have any moral obligation to greed, or is it generally accepted that I am morally right to roll need?

This question frustrates me because I am running dungeons to get better gear, not just for the AD. But it seems 90% of the LFG population already got what they need a long time ago, and are just running dungeons for the money. Some people say "you should greed BOE epics and just get your stuff from the BOP DD chest". Well, I dont know about this considering T2 set drop rates aren't fantastic.

What's your take?
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    teraakron wrote: »
    What is the consensus on this:

If I am on a so-called 'greed run' from LFG, and a T2 armor piece I genuinely need drops (i.e. I am going to wear it), do I have any moral obligation to greed, or is it generally accepted that I am morally right to roll need?

This question frustrates me because I am running dungeons to get better gear, not just for the AD. But it seems 90% of the LFG population already got what they need a long time ago, and are just running dungeons for the money. Some people say "you should greed BOE epics and just get your stuff from the BOP DD chest". Well, I dont know about this considering T2 set drop rates aren't fantastic.

What's your take?
    If you roll need in a greed run, you are stealing, plain and simple. There is no "moral" justification to ninja loot other than you are a ******.
  • Options
    teraakronteraakron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ninja-looting would be if I roll need and then sell it on the AH, thus <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the rest of the group.

But since when needing an item that I will actually use and equip qualify as ninja-loot? Anyway,the best course of action is to inform the group beforehand that you need that particular item.
  • Options
    arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    teraakron wrote: »
    Ninja-looting would be if I roll need and then sell it on the AH, thus <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the rest of the group.

But since when needing an item that I will actually use and equip qualify as ninja-loot? Anyway,the best course of action is to inform the group beforehand that you need that particular item.

If you weren't aware, 4 greeds and 1 need is an automatic win for you.

So no, it's actually lying/cheating. if the agreed upon looting was greed, then you either agree, tell the other players that "If X drops (be specific), i'm going to need it, it's what I'm looking for" or find a party that are okay with needing.

Its what someone would call being ethical, what you're describing is called ninja mentality, poor sportsmanship, or deception.

To agree to greed and then need, is straight up messed up and will get you kicked, ignored, or shamed.

If nothing was said, then go ahead and need, but to be asked, agree, and then need is betraying the group, they could have needed, too, but you just cheated your way to the drop.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I always press Need before Greed. And when somebody idiotic says "only greed" like he was the boss of a random party do I just laugh.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You are not being naive, you are being responsible and smart about it.

A party only works if there is trust.

If you intentionally press "Need" when you agreed to only press "Greed", you break this trust and this can and may result in possible backlash such as

(i) The "All Greed" agreement breaks down and everyone "Needs" for the rest of the loot from that point onwards.

(ii) Some players feel cheated and leave, resulting in the breakdown of the party and being short of people.

(iii) Some players may intentionally grieve you during the rest of the dungeon. For instance, the cleric may "forget" to heal you or the GWF or CW may only "come to life" after you aggroed the enemies and died.

(iv) You get kicked out of the party.

For someone who doesn't care about others but just want to get loot and clear the dungeon, (i) might be the best outcome but irregardless of the outcome, you are now remembered by the others in that party that you cannot be trusted.

How long they remember depends on the individual.

Some have lists, some just remember by memory and some don't care.

I personally feel you should not treat others the way you would not want to be treated but since this is the internet and a video game, there is an amount of anonymity and most people may behave in a more opportunistic and less socially acceptable manner.

So, just do what you feel is right for you.
  • Options
    suckmythumbsuckmythumb Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Morals? It's a freakin' game. At the end of the day, big bad guy gets the loot, and you are left with your morals. You go to the dungeon to get loot/AD. Why would you lose the opportunity?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    I always press Need before Greed. And when somebody idiotic says "only greed" like he was the boss of a random party do I just laugh.
    Morals? It's a freakin' game. At the end of the day, big bad guy gets the loot, and you are left with your morals. You go to the dungeon to get loot/AD. Why would you lose the opportunity?

It's this kind of attitude that annoys other players spoiling the fun in this 'freakin' game as this one calls it...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kralmoe wrote: »
    It's this kind of attitude that annoys other players spoiling the fun in this 'freakin' game as this one calls it...

No. Players who want Greed runs want the loot for their other characters. They want to play with their best character to collect gear for their weaker characters.

The problem is that they will end up with i.e. a healer as their second character, all with good epics, but are unable to play it right, because they never played much with it and all they know about it is from some other player's guide, where they don't know yet if the build they have is actually right for them or just bad.

They simply do not deserve it when they did not get it on that particular char. This is why I laugh and do not support Greed runs. If I would let them have their Greed runs will this only lead to more bad players who did not learn to play a class right.

I do press Pass on green stuff though. :cool:
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No. Players who want Greed runs want the loot for their other characters. They want to play with their best character to collect gear for their weaker characters.

The problem is that they will end up with i.e. a healer as their second character, all with good epics, but are unable to play it right, because they never played much with it and all they know about it is from some other player's guide, which they don't know yet if the build they have is actually right for them or just bad.

They simply do not deserve it when they did not get it on that particular char. This is why I laugh and do not support Greed runs. If I would let them have their Greed runs will this only lead to more bad players who did not learn to play a class right.

What do you mean by "No"? Are you saying that is right to lie to the other players and steal the loot just because you 'think' 'they' want to run a dungeon for their others characters?
    Speaking for myself I do not run dungeons for other characters but if anyone does it's his own business. The thing is that if you dont agree with the party to go for greed you should say so and leave. I want you to realize that if you stay and click need you are stealing the loot from me and others. In the end nobody will trust you and you will end on the ignore lists. So just reconsider your behaviour.
  • Options
    dragmoshdragmosh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The problem is that they will end up with i.e. a healer as their second character, all with good epics, but are unable to play it right, because they never played much with it and all they know about it is from some other player's guide, where they don't know yet if the build they have is actually right for them or just bad.

You haven't specified if the group (including you) all agreed to a greed run. For pug groups/not specified groups, I believe that each player should have veto power on greed runs. That way, if someone doesn't like it, they revert it back to a need run, but it must be specified by said player at the beginning of the run. I see nothing wrong with telling a group that you don't agree to a greed run and proceeding to roll need. You're being honest.

If the group (including you) agrees to a greed run, and then you roll need, that's a despicable act. Arguing that the internet gives anonymity doesn't really help, as you can tell someone's true character based on how they treat stranger. If you see someone mistreating a stranger, it usually means that they are only nice because they are afraid of the consequences, so that anytime they can get away with something they will.

The way I see rolling need in a greed run is like joining a lottery pool and then keeping all the winnings for yourself. Sure the other people might be well off, while you're struggling to pay the rent, but that's no excuse. If you didn't intend to share the winnings if you happened to win, why were you willing to take part of the winnings when someone else won?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What do you mean by "No"? Are you saying that is right to lie to the other players and steal the loot just because you 'think' 'they' want to run a dungeon for their others characters?
    Speaking for myself I do not run dungeons for other characters but if anyone does it's his own business. The thing is that if you dont agree with the party to go for greed you should say so and leave. I want you to realize that if you stay and click need you are stealing the loot from me and others. In the end nobody will trust you and you will end on the ignore lists. So just reconsider your behaviour.
    You really do not know what "No" means? Are you kidding me?

It means I disagree with your opinion. If you do not like it then it is you who can leave. Why should I leave when it is you who wants others not to press Need when they need it? I do not care for you. You think I leave a valuable item to you just so you then like me and become my new friend?
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dragmosh wrote: »
    You haven't specified if the group (including you) all agreed to a greed run.
    If all agree then I agree. When then a valuable item drops will I still press Need and say "Sorry, oops, wrong button". I will apologize further and deeply and all the nerds will forgive me.

Perhaps explain to me what I get in return when I not press Need. What is my deal here? All I see is that I get nothing. Why would I give up on a good item?? It makes no sense to me. I get that it may cause drama and grief, because of some naive and narrow-minded view of a minor group of players, but that isn't my problem. I want the item, I get the item, and I am gone. I am not even a greedy person. I simply need the item to make AD. Everybody needs AD.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    dragmoshdragmosh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If all agree then I agree. When then a valuable item drops will I still press Need and say "Sorry, oops, wrong button". I will apologize further and deeply and all the nerds will forgive me.

Well then you fit the second paragraph I mentioned, you're a fraud. I wouldn't believe someone saying sorry for accidentally pressing need unless they gave the item to the person with the highest greed roll.

No on is forcing their decisions on you. If you want to join their run, you agree to their terms. If you don't agree to their terms, then don't join their runs and start your own. There's no difference to this than agreeing to various terms of service online (including NW), and then exploiting the game. I consider this worse than outright theft as at least someone robbing you is straight with you and what they are doing, while you are doing the same but trying to act friendly. But anyway, as I'm speaking to someone with no morals, the best argument for you is that you'll one day realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If you want to join their run, you agree to their terms.

What makes you think it is their run? Are you talking about guild parties or parties of friends? Why would I even get invited?? Have we stopped talking about open parties?

And where do you get the idea that people can have cake but cannot eat it? What nonsense have people been feeding you, kid?? Where does one get cake but is not allowed to eat it? What sort of cruelty is this?

I also have very strong morals. I believe you do not deserve the item and I already said why you don't deserve it.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Well then you fit the second paragraph I mentioned, you're a fraud. I wouldn't believe someone saying sorry for accidentally pressing need unless they gave the item to the person with the highest greed roll.

No on is forcing their decisions on you. If you want to join their run, you agree to their terms. If you don't agree to their terms, then don't join their runs and start your own. There's no difference to this than agreeing to various terms of service online (including NW), and then exploiting the game. I consider this worse than outright theft as at least someone robbing you is straight with you and what they are doing, while you are doing the same but trying to act friendly. But anyway, as I'm speaking to someone with no morals, the best argument for you is that you'll one day realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Unfortunately, Cryptic can only do so much to prevent people like him from poisoning this game.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Unfortunately, Cryptic can only do so much to prevent people like him from poisoning this game.
    No. You want to talk people into giving up on items so that you can have them instead. And you want to render everyone as bad who disagrees with you. If anyone is poisoning anything here then it is you with your spite. :)

You could just buy the items you need for your other classes on the market, but you want them for free. I am guessing most of the Greed runners don't buy ZEN either. You want it all for free and others have to give it up so you can have it. You are like the beggars and bums of the Internet... Cryptic should implemented a tax so that they can give in-game welfare to terrible gamers. *lol*

Hell, it is just a game and not even real life. And yet you whine about dice rolls as if your actual life depended on it. It is mind boggling. Just press Need when you see a good item. Either because you need it, or perhaps you do not even know you need and just want it! Just do it ...
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    suckmythumbsuckmythumb Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Life is brutal. You'll get screwed once, twice, maybe even 10 times, then you'll stop hitting greed, seeing how all you have is your "morals", that are useless in an online game. IMO it's just naive. You need a 900k cap, that drops from a boss, noone else needs it, only you. You were trying to get it for last 2 months. What do you do? You lose the opportunity because of your morals? Bull****. You hit "need" finally getting what you want. Your alleged morals don't apply in 90% of situations. I doubt any of those guys talking about morals would waste 1h of playing just to give away big profit. 99% of you are all talk, that either lie to look good on forum or you've never been in a situation like the one I described. Morals? You're all hypocrits, you'll come to realize it soon enough.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    You could just buy the items you need for your other classes on the market, but you want them for free. I am guessing most of the Greed runners don't buy ZEN either. You want it all for free and others have to give it up so you can have it. You are like the beggars and bums of the Internet... Cryptic should implemented a tax so that they can give in-game welfare to terrible gamers. *lol*

All greed run = Begging? Okay then.

Like I said @dragmosh, join a good guild, get some friends or a regular group. Pugging will eventually group you up with people like him who unfortunately pollute many a F2P games.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    if i accidentally needed in a greed run, then i am willing to give the item to whoever rolled higher than me.

ironically, that happened once and i was told i still had the highest roll so i lucked out lol
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    All greed run = Begging? Okay then.

Like I said @dragmosh, join a good guild, get some friends or a regular group. Pugging will eventually group you up with people like him who unfortunately pollute many a F2P games.
    "pollute" you say? *lol* What a cute insult and so much hate. Yes, I buy ZEN and thereby help the maker to run this game and so their families can put food on their tables, son. The F2P suckers are just a part of the decoration. We - the paying players - do not mind having them around, but by God we would be stupid if we also allowed them to dictate how we play the game.

Push the Need button!
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Man, I wish I pugged dungeons so I could vote-kick some people. One is a troll, one is a self-centered ******.

I guess to remain on topic, the "greed only" usually pertains to Epics. If you're rolling greed on enchants, you're <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> yourself.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    People care about greed on the epics, a lot of people are going to press whatever to get the floortrash off their screen and will be silently annoyed that you are putting it on their screen. Anyway you can see the loot rolls
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rittzbitz wrote: »
    Man, I wish I pugged dungeons so I could vote-kick some people. One is a troll, one is a self-centered ******.

I guess to remain on topic, the "greed only" usually pertains to Epics. If you're rolling greed on enchants, you're <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> yourself.

Problem is, these folks will rarely show their character names or @handles. So they have little to fear. Even if the entire forum community decided to preemptively ignore or blacklist these players. Its such a small fraction of the player base that these people will always find groups. So there is less then zero incentive for them to change.

Truth of the matter is, there will always be players like this. They wont change, no matter how well you reason your arguments, or word your debates. The rest of the community needs to adapt to it or loose out. Or we need to finally wake up and understand that the entire N/G/P system is a tired old relic and needs to be abandoned.
This discussion has been closed.