test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A plea to non-rp'ers

chromaticwyrmchromaticwyrm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd like to think we can share Neverwinter with all kind of players but since the merger where we lost our role play server (mindflayer) I have noticed a influx of players I would call trolls in the only RP area we claim..the Moonstone Mask. While we interact with the entire community there is all of Protectors Enclave, dungeons and PVP for everyone else. I am not saying if you don't role play you can't come in but don't spam silly emotes, spells, or harrash people who do like to roleplay. You wouldn't like for someone else to ruin your fun in the one tiny area of Neverwinter you call home. So I am asking very kindly to show that your a mature member of Neverwinter and be respectfull

Thank you..a role player.
Post edited by chromaticwyrm on

Comments

• majorlazer13majorlazer13 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    +1 OP.
    Couldn't agree more. You cannot get through any length of RP in the mask without having some obscene player ruin it for awhile until their ADHD tendencies kick in. Luckily there is a lot of traction gaining through a certain CM and other players about having Foundry additions to the Mask for roleplaying purposes. If that's the case it will certainly help weed out the unpleasant elementary players that stumble in.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd like to think we can share Neverwinter with all kind of players but since the merger where we lost our role play server (mindflayer) I have noticed a influx of players I would call trolls in the only RP area we claim..the Moonstone Mask. While we interact with the entire community there is all of Protectors Enclave, dungeons and PVP for everyone else. I am not saying if you don't role play you can't come in but don't spam silly emotes, spells, or harrash people who do like to roleplay. You wouldn't like for someone else to ruin your fun in the one tiny area of Neverwinter you call home. So I am asking very kindly to show that your a mature member of Neverwinter and be respectfull

Thank you..a role player.

Those that go to Moonstone Mask to do nothing but harass RP-ers are griefers plain and simple. A plea to the forum community is not likely to address this issue. Report the players and change instance if at all possible.

It would be nice if there were guild halls or instances of the Mask that were invite-only.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Well, now you are just asking for it. Some players will always try to ruin your fun, because they can and because they know it annoys you. My advice is to ignore them and not start pleas on the forum, seriously.

Find a way to integrate them into your role-play. Just for example, let them be victims of the spell plague and treat them as such. Tell them to go to Helm's Hold for treatment.
    Stay frosty.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    You realize this will only entice more trolling? Especially the fact that you let them know that their griefing is effective.
  • vampirecavyvampirecavy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, I just put them on ignore, and then occasionally mention "the crowd of drunkards". I can certainly agree they get annoying after a while - but a certain one of them is apparently in there almost all of the time. He's actually more dedicated to trolling RPers, than the RPers are dedicated to the RP... and that's honestly hilarious.
  • jazharajazhara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    protip: this kinda post is troll bait, you would be better off just rclicking their names and ignoring them....pretend they are drunks in a bar when you see their toon moving around and bing stupid
  • vscoutvvscoutv Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah ya might not be able to control some of the other annoying things the trolls do, but ignore button is your friend.
    As a young boy chasing Dragons with your wooden sword so mighty, You're St. George or you're David and you always killed the beast
    Times change very quickly And you had to grow up early. A house in smoking ruins and the bodies at your feet ~Iron Maiden
  • neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why did the servers merge anyway? I was away for that.

Probably a redundant question.
  • joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    Find a way to integrate them into your role-play. Just for example, let them be victims of the spell plague and treat them as such. Tell them to go to Helm's Hold for treatment.

On topic: Why don't you roleplayers just move to a place which is completely empty? for example the Driftwood Tavern or that place where you can buy a appearance change token. They literally are always empty
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • airsykoairsyko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    neoyoshi wrote: »

The merge was always the plan from the very beginning.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Because that was always the plan. All Cryptic games are single server. Both STO and CO launched, and continue to be this way. NW only started with split servers as a way to manage the normal early launch crush.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    On topic: Why don't you roleplayers just move to a place which is completely empty? for example the Driftwood Tavern or that place where you can buy a appearance change token. They literally are always empty

The Moonstone Mask is its own Zone. Driftwood Tavern and all other PE locations use PE zone chat.

Which could kinda be addressed by turning off zone chat altogether and only using the "say" channel, which is what RPers generally use for personal interaction anyway to keep it out of zone chat anywhere else in the world.

The other big reason is because the Moonstone Mask was a single instance location and therefore people could always find the rest of the roleplayers without worrying about getting into the same instance. I'm not sure if the game ever reverted to this model after the Waukeen event forced multiple MM instances.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is often rp in Driftwood and a fw other taverns like ebondowns. Typically Guild parties. but in addition to sharing a zone and being like 50 instances often people cannot get into the correct instance because the zone is "full" and if you are booted from the game due to lage or net burps you often have wait 2 minutes to change instances then run back from instance spawn point. This is not the cast with the Mask which is just 1 instance. It would be nice if all bars were thier own zones but that might be hard on game resources.

Foundries might be good for private parties but they are even more limited than mask since you have to be on the same team and if one person gets booted everyone has to exit the foundry so the 1 person can get back in. this can be very disruptive if somone is having connection problems or the game is having ANY event. as bootings tend to increase. but also with foundries there is little or no chance to meet new people whih is the point of a rp bar to make friends, recruit for guilds, and be social.

More rp zones or expantions to the mask could be a good solution for rpers sice rpers do buy a lot of pay content an since most rpers are not grinders they actually are more likly to be forking over cash. Id suggest either open up vip zone or sell vip access in cash shop. add VIP bank/mail/AH instead of blocking off a huge zone where people could be rping. let VIPS invite thier teams into the vip zone.

I am a VIP and i dont feel leet going into the zone cause noone is in the area. and due to trying to keep people from getting into the zone I cant actually target people on the main floor to look at bios from INSIDE the zone so i cant realy LURK. so it pritty much a waste of space.

as far as griefer management. nothing we can do other than ignore them even including them mildly tends to make them worse. and the ignore button is not enough as they can ruin our sit emotes ect...(though npcs do that to) so I pretend they are just NPCS.
  • gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, that certainly explains what I saw when I wandered in there. Thanks. I wonder if some sort of warning or something could be established for new players. I'd only been playing 3 days when I went over there to find an orb and wandered into the tavern. I will say I didn't speak to anyone and I was only there for a few minutes, but if I'd known, I wouldn't have disturbed the area.
  • neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Because that was always the plan. All Cryptic games are single server. Both STO and CO launched, and continue to be this way. NW only started with split servers as a way to manage the normal early launch crush.

Aaaaaah, i see i see.

I like Megaservers, but when i came back from my long break; one of my first conversations i had with some people communicated to me that it was a product of the community numbers dissipating.

On-topic: There are so SO many locations in this game to settle down in and Roleplay- it is just a matter of everyone getting together and collectively agreeing on a spot.
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Aaaaaah, i see i see.

I like Megaservers, but when i came back from my long break; one of my first conversations i had with some people communicated to me that it was a product of the community numbers dissipating.

On-topic: There are so SO many locations in this game to settle down in and Roleplay- it is just a matter of everyone getting together and collectively agreeing on a spot.

I would refer you to this.
    vvvv----
    in addition to sharing a zone and being like 50 instances often people cannot get into the correct instance because the zone is "full" and if you are booted from the game due to lage or net burps you often have wait 2 minutes to change instances then run back from instance spawn point. This is not the cast with the Mask which is just 1 instance. It would be nice if all bars were thier own zones but that might be hard on game resources.

Foundries might be good for private parties but they are even more limited than mask since you have to be on the same team and if one person gets booted everyone has to exit the foundry so the 1 person can get back in. this can be very disruptive if somone is having connection problems or the game is having ANY event. as bootings tend to increase. but also with foundries there is little or no chance to meet new people whih is the point of a rp bar to make friends, recruit for guilds, and be social.
  • chromaticwyrmchromaticwyrm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Moonstone Mask is its own Zone. Driftwood Tavern and all other PE locations use PE zone chat.

Which could kinda be addressed by turning off zone chat altogether and only using the "say" channel, which is what RPers generally use for personal interaction anyway to keep it out of zone chat anywhere else in the world.

The other big reason is because the Moonstone Mask was a single instance location and therefore people could always find the rest of the roleplayers without worrying about getting into the same instance. I'm not sure if the game ever reverted to this model after the Waukeen event forced multiple MM instances.

Moonstone Mask was a single instance location and therefore people could always find the rest of the roleplayers without worrying about getting into the same instance EXACTLY
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    change instance if at all possible.

It would be nice if there were guild halls or instances of the Mask that were invite-only.

Last I saw (During the Waukeen event) The moonstone only generates extra instances as and when needed, although the idea of having multiple instances is nice for that area, it would become a pain for those trying to meet up with other regular RP-er's I'd imagine.

Trolls would just follow them, they live and feed off of others misery. If only dealing with them were that simple.
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I don’t normally derive enjoyment at the expense of others, but I just find the whole RPing thing in an MMO… creepy. When you go to a ‘room’ in games like Neverwinter Nights or Diablo, there’s an intimacy to that, an atmosphere of understanding. In an MMO there is no such atmosphere. Which is why whenever I stumble upon an RPing session I feel compelled to break the awkwardness and blurt out ‘Arrragh, I be Captain Jack Longbeard of the proud vessel The Randy Kobold, and I be lookin’ for a stout crew to join me on an expedition to uncharted waters! Join me and we’ll bring back fine silks and exotic treasures the likes of which ya’ve narr seen! Arrrrragh!'

Only one person took me up on it, so I’m still missing a first mate, lookout, and ship’s pet.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • detoxnrelapsedetoxnrelapse Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you want true roleplay, play the actual dungeon and dragons pen n paper game with friends. dont expect an online community to be "role-players", the only role they play is to play the game and maybe support the developers.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drakesigar wrote: »
    I don’t normally derive enjoyment at the expense of others, but I just find the whole RPing thing in an MMO… creepy. When you go to a ‘room’ in games like Neverwinter Nights or Diablo, there’s an intimacy to that, an atmosphere of understanding. In an MMO there is no such atmosphere. Which is why whenever I stumble upon an RPing session I feel compelled to break the awkwardness and blurt out ‘Arrragh, I be Captain Jack Longbeard of the proud vessel The Randy Kobold, and I be lookin’ for a stout crew to join me on an expedition to uncharted waters! Join me and we’ll bring back fine silks and exotic treasures the likes of which ya’ve narr seen! Arrrrragh!'

Only one person took me up on it, so I’m still missing a first mate, lookout, and ship’s pet.

Doesn't like roleplaying, finds it awkward and creepy, and then roleplays to break the awkwardness.

Fascinating.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone should be able to play their own style without the problem of trolls. Invite only instances seem the way to go, but it takes work and perhaps they feel the rp community is too small to bother.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »

dont they still have separate servers?
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Change of location will not help. As OP has said are some of the trolls persistent. They will of course come after them.

Simply do not let them pull you down. Treat them like victims. Perhaps the cure to the spell plague has undisclosed side effects and it has a 1% chance to turn people into morons. These are the 1% ...
    Stay frosty.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know...some of you fellas don't welcome new RPrs well enough so there might be a reason why people like to troll you there, just IMHO.
    It's like each time I go to the moonstone mask, try to welcome anyone and they all move aside. Whatever...
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Why not just back out quietly? It's only awkward for you, there is no need for you to make an idiot of yourself. Do you feel the need to yell that out when you walk into the wrong conference room or lecture hall?

Keep in mind as I say this, there are roughly a couple of hundred countries in the world and many of them have different ideas on etiquette. I'm simply trying to explain my own.

A conference room or lecture hall is private. An RP conversation is private, but, and here’s the key, it’s in a public setting broadcasted to everyone in the vicinity. That’s awkward, and it has me instinctively reaching for a hoodie, dimming the lights, and waving around a piece of foliage to simulate the only real way you can watch these interactions – crouched in the bushes with some tights over your head. When you’re telling jokes at say, a comedy club, there’s an understanding between everyone there that the normal rules of society don’t apply and we can all participate without feeling weird about it. An MMO is not that place. (Closed rooms in Neverwinter Nights and Diablo are but I don’t know what you’d call them).
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    dont they still have separate servers?

Yes and no, all three Cryptic games are on the same server farm (The term server in an MMO actually refers to a collection of machines that handle the game, it'd be impossible for any single machine to handle all the interactions for multiple players in an MMO) and share a chat server (global channels cross all three Cryptic games). This is why they share a maintenance period and when one suffers networking issues the other 2 normally do too.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    You know...some of you fellas don't welcome new RPrs well enough so there might be a reason why people like to troll you there, just IMHO.
    It's like each time I go to the moonstone mask, try to welcome anyone and they all move aside. Whatever...

there's also a thing called respect meaning that if two people are having a conversation and you interrupt it, you may not be welcomed no matter how joyous you are. if you are interested in RPing, there are guilds and websites to join... or you can sit at the bar and talk to yourself.

someone is bound to respond to you eventually.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drakesigar wrote: »
    Keep in mind as I say this, there are roughly a couple of hundred countries in the world and many of them have different ideas on etiquette. I'm simply trying to explain my own.

A conference room or lecture hall is private. An RP conversation is private, but, and here’s the key, it’s in a public setting broadcasted to everyone in the vicinity. That’s awkward, and it has me instinctively reaching for a hoodie, dimming the lights, and waving around a piece of foliage to simulate the only real way you can watch these interactions – crouched in the bushes with some tights over your head. When you’re telling jokes at say, a comedy club, there’s an understanding between everyone there that the normal rules of society don’t apply and we can all participate without feeling weird about it. An MMO is not that place. (Closed rooms in Neverwinter Nights and Diablo are but I don’t know what you’d call them).

if you walk into a public place, you oftentimes can hear other peoples conversations, so even though zone chat is public, you can opt to ignore it or respond to it. but your interruptions may not be well received. not everyone is into role playing in that way and that's fine. you should have the respect to allow them to enjoy the game in the way they enjoy it. trolling and griefing players that want to RP is a reportable offense. but people involved in RPing can also block you so eventually you may just end up trolling to the air.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    there's also a thing called respect meaning that if two people are having a conversation and you interrupt it, you may not be welcomed no matter how joyous you are. if you are interested in RPing, there are guilds and websites to join... or you can sit at the bar and talk to yourself.

someone is bound to respond to you eventually.
    There is also a way to let others know that you want to interract with them by <<Insert your message here>>. Do you really belive I would be that dumb and childish to break someone's conversation? >_>
    I know those guys might have their own scenario and stuff...

Talk to myself? Really? Mmkay, np.