What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I always go AFK in PVP when...

Comments

• Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nope. There is nothing to be learned from repeatedly being destroyed as soon as you leave spawn. Most times you can't even fire off a single At-Will before being hit with a chain prone/CC. The only thing anyone will learn in those circumstances is to not bother playing NW any more.

Oh - and last night I learned that no amount of skill or endeavour will beat a high GS perma using a perfect bilethorn.

Matchmaking is broken. Games are as lopsided now as they were before the patch. Lopsided games serve no purpose as either entertainment or 'learning experience'. And lest some forget - this is meant to be entertainment, not an e-sport.

Well friend, it's up to you if you wish to think like that, just as how it's up to me if I wish to see those sort of matches as a learning opportunity; which they are. Not really expecting everyone to agree. To each his own!

I'll entertain myself by seeing tackling what's challenging and finding something worthwhile out of them, while you guys do what you do and maybe get frustrated with things that aren't really worth frustrating one's self about... or something, anything, really. If one think it's best to take a break from NW for an indefinite amount of time, then I guess he should entertain that thought sometime. A game doesn't have to be stressful. Up to the person if his standards for entertainment cannot be fulfilled by the game.
  • Options
    gorguts99gorguts99 Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2014
    When I'm stuck in a poney team that goes to 1 when the match starts.

It's written in the sky that's going to be a burden of a match.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well friend, it's up to you if you wish to think like that, just as how it's up to me if I wish to see those sort of matches as a learning opportunity; which they are. Not really expecting everyone to agree. To each his own!

I'll entertain myself by seeing tackling what's challenging and finding something worthwhile out of them, while you guys do what you do and maybe get frustrated with things that aren't really worth frustrating one's self about... or something, anything, really. If one think it's best to take a break from NW for an indefinite amount of time, then I guess he should entertain that thought sometime. A game doesn't have to be stressful. Up to the person if his standards for entertainment cannot be fulfilled by the game.
    I enjoy learning. And as this is the first game where I've bothered with PvP I have plenty to learn. As long as I can actually try different powers/tactics or improve my play or get ideas for improving my toon I'm happy - even in a losing match. Being spawn camped offers no opportunities for learning. None whatsoever. Struggling on with a team full of nubs who don't have the first clue offers at least some entertainment value, but jumping down from spawn to be obliterated in a nanosecond time and time again is not entertaining for anyone other than the dbags doing the obliterating.

I don't camp/quit through 'frustration'. I just have better uses for my time.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've given up only a few times when my side was short-manned, toast and being spawned.

Even in a loop-sided loss I still have fun with it by harassing from the edges, pointlessly taking points and then running away, picking on one person for no reason, etc.

But I guess I don't PVP that much and mostly only low level so I can understand how a diehard PVPer would, after so many matches, decide on certain points of diminishing returns whereby they give up when met.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I never AFK. If I queued, I'll play. If the people I ended up with are complete idiots, I might leave and level an alt or work or read in those 30 mins, but this might have happened just twice only after the Tenacity patch. If my adversaries are good, known PvPers I respect, I don't leave the game even if they farm kills on me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    I never AFK. If I queued, I'll play. If the people I ended up with are complete idiots, I might leave and level an alt or work or read in those 30 mins, but this might have happened just twice only after the Tenacity patch. If my adversaries are good, known PvPers I respect, I don't leave the game even if they farm kills on me.
    Each to their own of course, but personally I don't find anyone who spawn camps worthy of respect. Regardless of who they might be.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Normally i agree with Tod for most of his posts, however in this case i have to disagree. If your losing by 400-500 points, you can try to keep capping but if the other team has momentum (im talking pug here not premade) its probably time to sit. Allowing them the opportunity to keep killing you over and over is just giving glory away. Now i dont mind giving away old clothes to Good Will or Donating to our favorite charities, but im not in the business to just give glory away. Jumping down in a 5 v 1 or prolonging a lose match is just giving it away. So i would rather sit by the fire. .02
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Normally i agree with Tod for most of his posts, however in this case i have to disagree. If your losing by 400-500 points, you can try to keep capping but if the other team has momentum (im talking pug here not premade) its probably time to sit. Allowing them the opportunity to keep killing you over and over is just giving glory away. Now i dont mind giving away old clothes to Good Will or Donating to our favorite charities, but im not in the business to just give glory away. Jumping down in a 5 v 1 or prolonging a lose match is just giving it away. So i would rather sit by the fire. .02

I thought the Glory myth was debunked in other post?
  • Options
    xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whether Glory is given based on time, kills or caps, the bottom line is that your giving away points/glory. Why not try to get to the next match where hopefully it will be more even and a better chance to earn 250-500 glory for a win. Again I'm talking from a pug perspective. I know some folks take this stuff very seriously. However as many have stated over and over, getting stomped is not fun. Games are supposed to be somewhat fun. The Dev's can make it more strict by trying to "force" your participation but I bet it would just cause more folks to say "no thanks" and do something else.
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Most matches if a team tries, they can get close, but then again being within 100 points, doesn't give you much, it just prolongs the match.

There are times no matter what your paired on a pug team that just isnt going to win, whatever matching making offers, it ignores GS, so some lucky sod with 8k that just won 4 matches in a row, is now your melee option , lets say hes a TR, you are also giving two hrs and two dcs on this team.. even if the other 4 are reliable 13-15k players, that do well in most matches, they are now teamed up against a team that has ALL 13+ k players, with two GWFs and two TRs..

Guess whos winning that match 100% of the time, that isnt skill, its random pug matches. Ive surprisingly been on a few winning teams with that set up, but never against fully geared GWFs that can simply take any node any time they want.

I will only go afk for real life circumstances (also the reason I will drop a DD run, sorry but life does come first) or if Im spawn camped. Most matches are even enough that doesnt happen however, just every once in awhile.

You pretty much can determine a loosing team in two seconds of joining though.. they always go to cap home.

You shouldn't go afk just because of it, but it does make you lose your mind sometimes!

Otherwise.. your going to lose matches, its going to happen especially if you pug. most of the time its because you cant get anyone to work with you..
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When I'm grouped against premade while I'm with PUG that's outmatched.... who am I kidding, I'm leaving such match and changing character to not waste 10 minutes to wait until enemy premade gets 1k points.
    PS it's hillarious to see premades boasting over PUGs how great they are XD
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I go AFK if the phone or doorbell rings, if I get hungry, if my beer is empty, if I feel like taking a few puffs, if I hear the dogs barking outside, if I have to go to the bathroom, or if the match I'm in is boring. Did you know there is no leavers penalty if you get kicked for being AFK? Well there isn't, so if your match is boring as hell you can just sit afk for a few minutes and get booted rather than waiting through the whole crappy thing.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kungsarme wrote: »
    2 matches today we were down by 400 but after communicating vehemently what a few people were doing wrong, we were able to swing the match to a 990-1000 win.

This is absolutely possible, but even if. These kind of matches likely last over 15 minutes, which is not desirable. So it's a win-win for me personally even with the possibility of pulling off an upset.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    You pretty much can determine a loosing team in two seconds of joining though.. they always go to cap home.

You shouldn't go afk just because of it, but it does make you lose your mind sometimes!
    Oh yes. I just shrug and follow them to home, then spend the rest of the match capping whatever I can manage.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wish the player base was big enough to follow LoL in how that game handles persistent leavers and afkers , if a player leaves matches and afks very often they get various penalties and if that doesn't get the message through then it ends with a perma ban.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Leaver_Buster
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I wish the player base was big enough to follow LoL in how that game handles persistent leavers and afkers , if a player leaves matches and afks very often they get various penalties and if that doesn't get the message through then it ends with a perma ban.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Leaver_Buster
    LoL is a 100% competitive PvP game, with organised tournaments that offer real life prize money. It is in no way, shape, or form comparable to NWO or any other 'normal' MMORPG.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    goldmember7goldmember7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited March 2014
    From most common to very rare:

When my family needs me.
    When the phone rings.
    When I receive a pm from a guild member.
    When there someone at the door.
    When it is obvious that we lost, and the other team does not trade caps.
    When it is obvious that we won, and the other team does not trade caps.
    When we are being spawn camped.
    When the zone chat is abusive.
    When I suspect a cheater in either team.
    When the match turns out to be really boring, and I have more interesting things to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I haven't tested that, since I refuse to leave/go afk unless real life interferes, but it would be a mistake if that was true. I know for a fact that it's not true during GG, since one of my guildies got booted for getting her tea (afk too long) and did receive the penalty.
    Haven't tried the AFK one yet, but there's no penalty for exiting the game and returning a little later. I found out the other night when an RL 'emergency' turned out to be nothing at all.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What usually happens is I tab out of the game to browse the web when people start trading caps and I get distracted and forget to tab back in in time and get kicked. I have never been unable to queue after.
  • Options
    irked01irked01 Banned Users Posts: 91
    edited March 2014
    When real life calls for my attention. Other than that, there are zero valid reasons to AFK. Once a person joins PVP he should commit himself to it, just like how one would play PVE dungeons.

I'm hoping the devs will have a penalty for spawn-sitting as well. At the very least, even if the opponents outgear you significantly, it's always a good opportunity to learn about them by attempting to put on a good 5 vs. 1, since you might face them in the future again. This way a person would be better prepared against these people the next time he faces them.

Never go afk at campfire screw that just keep running to node 2 do NOT fight back let them kill you over and over and over again until they nerf HR's and GWF's that is what I am doing as we speak. Every single time I pvp this is what will happen I dont care about my team..........

I am here to RUIN it for everyone else lol and there is NOTHING anyone can do about it LOL
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    When real life intervenes with a sick kid or other such emergency. There are no other acceptable answers just like there aren't for leaving.

I can think of a lot reasons that are valid to spontaneously leave your comp than the one you just listed.

If people WANT to leave or campfire that is good enough reason for me though.

I campfire if it's a really bad situation with low score and not much chance of a fun fight.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your choice if you don't want to 5 vs. 1. You don't have to feel so antagonized about by my opinion.

Losing matches are always a learning opportunity. Given that I'm a TR and am built for such situations, but even if I play another class I'd still jump down to that 5 vs. 1 because I queued for PVP. I commit, and I make the most out of it and learn. One will rarely find himself in a 5 vs. 1 in PVP, but it happens. What better way to learn how to deal with it by exposing himself to it? You want to successfully live and finish the 5 vs. 1? That's impossible. But the least you could do is to learn how to survive long enough to the point where it can make a difference for your team.

So yes, you Q for PVP, you FIGHT. That simple. This game doesn't have to be stressful, so I'd much rather not think of self-serving and defeatist excuses not to compete and fight.

5v1 happened to me a lot pre patch and you wanna know what I learned? DONT JUMP DOWN!!!

Even when 1v1 was offered it tended to be bad idea to jump down because rarely does the whole opposing team agree to it thus I get ganked by multiple players. And the only thing I leaned from that is there is nothing I can do other then run and delay the inevitable. There is nothing to learn from 5v1 4v1 3v1 2v1 other then you will die quickly unless you are purely built for PvP which as a PvE player I see no point in weakening my PvE survivability to take part in such a small aspect of the game.
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    When I am getting 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 the entire time but my team can not even keep the other 2 point contested. When this happened it is over. They don't deserved to win.

When I am solo queue and run into some premade from PVP guilds. It is basically GG unless your team has some decent partial premade as well. I usually just go AFK since I don't feel like 1 v 5.
  • Options
    bullgodzbullgodz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've never intentioanlly AFK in any match, but when your down to 2-3 players on your team that's when I type in chat

"hey, you guys want to swap cap points?" or "anyone up for a duel?"
    Lazerous - CW
    Ladyhawk - HR
    Nighthawk the Pink TR
  • Options
    sugrcainsugrcain Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As soon as someone on my team makes any comment which can be interpreted as a "PVP is serious business" I'll be AFK at some point, this includes "4 to the middle instructions" out of the gate. Sometimes I like to play a bit, get a lead going, then AFK. Comedy gold as the win Mr. Serious thought he would have slips away.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sugrcain wrote: »
    As soon as someone on my team makes any comment which can be interpreted as a "PVP is serious business" I'll be AFK at some point, this includes "4 to the middle instructions" out of the gate. Sometimes I like to play a bit, get a lead going, then AFK. Comedy gold as the win Mr. Serious thought he would have slips away.

Yeah, I too don't appreciate little Mini Napoleons on my team trying to order me around.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sugrcain wrote: »

Almost sociopathic of you :rolleyes:

Maybe close your chat box if your disposition is that of the Prima Donna? IDK why invite getting P.O'd when a solution is just a click away?
  • Options
    ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    RL of course, which is very rare or when I'm the only one left who's leaving the spawn point (Others either left or afking). More likely if being spawn camped but even then, if I think they have taken their eye off the ball, afking down there, then I'm likely to go for them... I'm still paying attention, so should they be!
This discussion has been closed.