test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please suspend looting during fights

fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everyone,

I have started playing Neverwinter only a few days ago and so far so good. It is very nice what I have seen and I do enjoy the combat system the most. It is challenging. I have come across a few hurtles, but nothing I could not get used to - except for one thing: party members who are looting while others are fighting. It is as irritating as you-know-what.

I currently play a guardian fighter and like standing in the middle of it. While I have to watch the bosses and minions, my health bar, my timers, not to mention the pretty graphics, do others seem to have nothing better to do than to wander around and to pick up loot. Maybe their choice of class gives them too little to do, or they are lost, or they simply do not know anything better to do!? Or maybe some are truly intimidated by the bosses and do not feel like fighting!?! ...

Whatever it is, while their lacking contribution to a fight is at least disappointing to watch, but can be ignored at times, can I not ignore the many "Need, Greed and Pass"-boxes popping up on my screen (sometimes 3 or 4 at the time). When I have to watch the movement and actions of a boss, spot the gap where I can hit it, do I not want to multi-task and make choices on what items I need and what not.

Can this get suspended somehow???

I imagine a complex list of options to select a default for Need, Greed or Pass could be one way to do it (i.e. Pass on all items n levels lower than my own level, always Pass or Greed on all items for other classes than my own, etc.). However, a simpler mechanic, which checks for any active aggressions and then suspends looting, would not only stop this madness, but it might give these players a change of heart. Maybe it allows them to refocus on the more important things.

I do understand that it is sometimes necessary to pick up loot in a fight, i.e. when there is loot right in front of one and one gets the option presented, which on its own can be annoying. But this could get suspended all in one.

Anyhow, this is my first experience with Neverwinter and also my first post!
Stay frosty.
Post edited by fgreyspear on

Comments

• Options
    helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Hola there, I do agree that looting during combat can be frustrating when the loot window suddenly pops out of nowhere as you fight.
    But since other games have a similar loot system, I somehow got used to it.

The reason they do that could be afraid that the loot disappears (which i think is barely the case) or the loot is considered valuable to them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Only time I pick up loot during a fight is when the 'Press F to Loot' Window is in my way, and the situation needs me to stay there. No other purpose. I find having to need/greed during a fight as annoying as you do. But no where near as annoying as the lingering window that says 'Joey won it, you chose greed, throw a party for Joey.' I so totally don't care who wins or doesn't. If I win, I'll know by one of the other places it puts the info. Or by finding the item in my inventory. I'd be satisfied if they would just give me the option to completely disable the win notifications. Moving it aside is really not enough. And it stays soooo long.. like I needed reading material or something. So 'EscEscEscEsc' then I can resume fighting.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, this is always annoying. Another solution would be if they kept the mechanics the same, but just moved the popup window out of the center of the screen and made it a more conservatively sized pop up to one of the right corners, with an additional menu item setting for adjusting the opaqueness.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah no kidding.

At first I thought it was people just trolling, or trying to fight some kind of high damage contest by <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> everyone else with useless loot spam. Worse... we're all 60th level, why in the hell are you looting green? And why are you spamming me with with all kinds of level 2 and level 1 enchantments and runes none of us are ever going to get use out of?

This is just annoying as hell. I wish I knew how to turn it off.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The window can be moved if you rearrange your HUD.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Depending on the content they may not be trolling but just bored and looting while fighting. 99% of content is not hard enough where you need to give it your full attention and you can easily loot during combat. Now that said 99% of loot isn't worth clicking on either.
  • Options
    vildsixvildsix Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Are you sure? I thinks it is bugged, actually.
  • Options
    llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I made this a little less annoying as a GF by remapping the need/greed/pass keys. The shift + messed with guard a bit.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You can't , the initial need/greed window that opens cannot be rearranged , the results window can be moved so that it isn't in the middle of the screen though .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    LOL I have already "passed" shards and epics on this game because of this. But the thing that really makes this game problematic is the loot, or it should drop for everyone or at least "greed run" be possible by default with "need" button disabled so much scam and grief because of this thing.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    you can also ask your party to wait until fighting is over to loot.
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They should make loot drop individually for each player. Lose the entire "roll for loot" system.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think this is one of the last sore spots left that needs to be fixed. There are no in-game workarounds either, well nothing that works 100% for everyone. Even if you set the looting level to rare/epic, you still get pestered by popups in the middle of your screen. I play on 1920 X 1200 and I find it extremely annoying, I cant imagine some people playing on lower resolutions, the popup window must be really huge.

The thing is, everyone has the right to play this game how they want to. They don't need justification to pick up any loot they want, and they should be able to play comfortably in their own style without regrets or worries. Its Neverwinter's job to insure that they have coding in place that encompasses most playing styles without punishing other players. I feel this problem really needs to be addressed as one of the few remaining issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »

Its a nice idea, but it wont work in all parties, because most people like to fight and quickly run to the next fight. If you are looting, the party will move on ahead, and by the time you finish, they will be already to the next fight after that. Eventually you will only be there to loot. Just like its not fair to ask players to not loot, its equally unfair to ask players to wait for players that do want to loot.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No! I respectfully decline your suggestion. I would be patronizing others asking them not to do this or don't do that. I would rather see this being done by you, Cryptic, so we do not have to care for it ourselves.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    No! I respectfully decline your suggestion. I would be patronizing others asking them not to do this or don't do that. I would rather see this being done by you, Cryptic, so we do not have to care for it ourselves.

Not to mention, I don't see why this has to appear in the most disruptive possible spot, and the window is unmovable. It should really be an UI element that we can drag to wherever we want.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »

i don't think it's asking too much of someone to say in party chat:

"can we please wait until the fighting is over to loot?"

and how that would be patronizing, i'm not sure. i don't see how that comes off as elitist. if you can't (or won't) communicate to your party, i don't see how you expect to complete a dungeon.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I ask party members not to loot during fights. They usually comply. Typically, I'm helping someone out with a DD run, so they are more apt to listen to my suggestions, particularly when they see me passing on much of the loot they pick up. However, if they continue to loot during combat, I simply shrug it off and start needing/greeding on everything instead. When my inventory gets full, I simply stop what I'm doing, open up the Bazaar window and sell off the junk.
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the other MMOs that I play, it's pre-determined when the party is created. Random, sequence, or leader's choice.
    So simple. I fail to understand why Cryptic chose a system which considerably disturbs the fight, and also opens the door to drama.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i don't think it's asking too much of someone to say in party chat:

"can we please wait until the fighting is over to loot?"

and how that would be patronizing, i'm not sure. i don't see how that comes off as elitist. if you can't (or won't) communicate to your party, i don't see how you expect to complete a dungeon.
    Well, take a look at PvP. During the 1h Arena bonus events do players quit fights when they fear to be on the losing team. I could ask them not to quit (and thereby communicate my problem to them), but I am guessing you will already know how well this has been working out. ;)
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    In the other MMOs that I play, it's pre-determined when the party is created. Random, sequence, or leader's choice.
    So simple. I fail to understand why Cryptic chose a system which considerably disturbs the fight, and also opens the door to drama.

Exactly! And it wouldn't take rocket science to fix it. Just alter a few flash parameters and make sure the new entries don't conflict with anything else. Well, Im assuming is a flash based GUI system.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

A question that I often ask myself, when in a group where all the other players appear to be Polish, understand no English, yet appear not to understand the basics of PvE, either. How, precisely, do you explain the tactics for killing a boss, if it's a fight that requires more than just pulling a Leeroy Jenkins?

(By the by, having a separate Russian server is my favourite feature of NW, as Russians seem to be not just unable but often unwilling to use a language that anyone else is likely to speak. Cyrillic spam has swamped entire servers in other games)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I basically do guild runs, in which most of us try to avoid battle looting and most of us try to avoid picking up greens, because the loot rolls inconvenience everyone.

It usually doesn't take people too long to realize that this stuff gets in their way too.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I basically do guild runs, in which most of us try to avoid battle looting and most of us try to avoid picking up greens, because the loot rolls inconvenience everyone.

Ah, how wonderful. I hate having to roll for every stupid worthless green item, and people just don't get the hint :)
  • Options
    arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I have to ask: Has any party leader ever set the party loot options? I've seen them, but never actually changed them (these are found by right clicking on your portrait when you are the leader)

would this help this situation at all?

to OP, as a frequent end-game dungeoneer, the key mapping is set up that you do not need to stop fighting in order to loot, and select your N/G/P for rolls. "F" is a quick key to press easily, and as someone else has said, its pressed (for me) because the box is open and blocking my view. The only things that get picked up, though are crafting mats and blues/purps, which cuts down this problem drastically. if you're leveling, be assured that when you're done with lowly levels, this happens far less often.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I swore at myself yesterday after reflexively looting during a skirmish boss fight.

Soloing encourages immediate grabbing to clear the window and reduce post-fight downtime. It is well-known that habits reinforced while soloing can conflict with expectations while grouping.

Improvements to the interface could probably reduce the problem, but changes to the interface inevitably <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off some subset of users.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    two30 wrote: »
    Improvements to the interface could probably reduce the problem, but changes to the interface inevitably <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off some subset of users.

I don't see how making the UI element for this moveable would annoy anyone.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    A question that I often ask myself, when in a group where all the other players appear to be Polish, understand no English, yet appear not to understand the basics of PvE, either. How, precisely, do you explain the tactics for killing a boss, if it's a fight that requires more than just pulling a Leeroy Jenkins?

(By the by, having a separate Russian server is my favourite feature of NW, as Russians seem to be not just unable but often unwilling to use a language that anyone else is likely to speak. Cyrillic spam has swamped entire servers in other games)
    You can learn Russian or Polish and then tell them how it is done.
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    arsonall82 wrote: »
    I have to ask: Has any party leader ever set the party loot options? I've seen them, but never actually changed them (these are found by right clicking on your portrait when you are the leader)

I have come to believe that the leader might be able to pre-set them once the entire party is formed but before you queue into the dungeon, but I've never tested it. I haven't tried to figure out if there's a way to set to only trigger rolls on blue and higher (instead of green and higher).

The problem is that loot rules in dungeons when entering via the queue will default to roll on green and above, and you definitely can't change them once you're actually in the dungeon.

I should ask my lovely cooperative guildies to help me thoroughly figure out the override setting, if there is one at all. Just never bothered.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I don't see how making the UI element for this moveable would annoy anyone.

I was imagining more radical solutions, because the popups would be distracting even if moved. I was probably also being unduly pessimistic.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
This discussion has been closed.