test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF The thankless class

one4changeone4change Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Just a rant here. How many of you are tired of the GF always getting blamed? If the CW's healing ability sucks and the group dies...it's the GF's fault. If a player is so squishy he can't take two hits from an add before dying...it's the GF's fault for not kiting every add within a second. And what GF hasn't been to the same dungeon several times and when he kites the adds, someone will complain he should be tanking the boss...and when he tanks the boss;no he should be kiting. This has happened to me on a few dungeons, even though we beat boss they complain. Well, that's my rant for the day, which was at least partly done jokingly :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    umm CW? doesn't heal unless mm is feated its the DC and that would be their fault or other players not knowing how to be healed by it and most bosses don't need to be tanked its almost always the adds because there are always too many boss aoes are easy enough to be avoided or dodged if you bother to learn what the animations are.

keeping aggro on a boss is easy even a tr can do it keeping aggro on adds is much tougher. Also in pk using knights valor is a bad idea if you are trying to separate boss because if a party member gets hit by boss then the boss will start to follow you along with the hundred adds which breaks the strategy.
  • Options
    vallis9729vallis9729 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm rarely in a party with a GF anymore these days. Too many other classes who can kite effectively.
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    vallis9729 wrote: »
    I'm rarely in a party with a GF anymore these days. Too many other classes who can kite effectively.

It is rare to see a GF now because we've all shelved our GF's for other classes that do, as you say, pretty much everything good enough or better than a GF can do.

Adding more threat, marks and a tuned Bull Charge/Lunging Strike will do little to change that.

This game is too centered around DPS throughput, a creation that PWE has itself to blame for.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well i dunno people in my guild ask my tank to go with them to most dg's all the time. Sure you can burst better without one but the tank is meant as a team anchor if you aren't running with extremely high end parties then you need a tank because with a good tank everyones job is easier and wipes happen less.

i mean why would you want a cw, dc, or tr to kite when people might need heals or things need to die doing that limits dps because you are too busy kiting to attack a lot.

sometimes i don't even need to kite i can pretty much take their damage at least for 4 minutes before even needing a heal.
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Team Anchor"... Useful when you are sub-14k GS. After that, why use an anchor when you can have a jet engine?
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Accualy Knight Captain set helps kill things faster :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How many people do you think are past 14k that haven't spent money on this game? Very few.... maybe a few thousand out of 200 thousand for a ratio.
  • Options
    krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fauust01 wrote: »

Specially with very highly geared mates. Which is sad and weird. You gotta wonder what sense of balance PWE has when a T1 set is specially well suited to work in tandem with high end mates, and is probably more effective than its T2 counterpart...
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    How many people do you think are past 14k that haven't spent money on this game? Very few.... maybe a few thousand out of 200 thousand for a ratio.

True. My Cleric is BiS High Prophet, all rank 6s, normal Vorpal and only has a GS of 12.2k. Not even a full Miracle Healer (which I have) will push me over 13k. I've no idea how much more time and possibly money I'd need to put in to reach the 14k mark.

My GF is full T2 and loaded blue rings/waist with all rank 6s and normal PF, sits at 16.3k. Again, I dunno what it would take to get to 18/19k (the GFs equivalent of everybody elses 14k).

I think DCs and GFs are the go-to guys/gals for blaming when things go sour, but in truth a DC can't heal stupid and a GF can't pull adds off of the boss if you keep on AOEing the hell out of them.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Artifacts and/or boons are the major source of GS inflation. 14k for a DC back in the day would've been pretty astounding (or an indication of heavily-stacked hitpoints), whereas now it's pretty common, or so zonechat would have you believe (I'm in the same bracket as you: 12 something with HP, 13 something with MH -ironically by the time I finally got a full MH set it really was no longer necessary or even desirable to use instead of High prophet).

Weapon/armour enchants don't contribute to gear score, and neither do augments, but three purple artifacts and a full set of DR/Shar boons and you'd be waaay higher than expected. Probably.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I think DCs and GFs are the go-to guys/gals for blaming when things go sour, but in truth a DC can't heal stupid and a GF can't pull adds off of the boss if you keep on AOEing the hell out of them.

this is so true its sickening no one realizes that unless you are near the cleric or the effects of heals most of them don't help anyone or that if you don't attack everything everything won't wanna eat you this is especially prevalent with the new players and the hr's splitshot.

when things fall apart for these reasons it is the entire party's fault not just one person.

also my tank is at 12.8 in 6's, 7's with grand regent; using todes's iron maiden build and I've had her since a month after beta started.

and people I'm with rarely if ever completely wipe due to my mistakes few as they are.

actually the augments do add stats for gear score its just not added to max gear score until the augment uses its ability every 10 sec which adds it on again.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    actually the augments do add gear score just not added to max gear score.

.....mind clarifying this?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    as in it adds the stats of the pet to your stats for summoning bonus but it doesn't register as max gs and when the pet uses its 10 sec ability in combat it stacks the summon bonus on again.

this is why stones are so powerful.

for instance my stone gives 845 power to my cw just for being there making my power which is normally 4500 to 5300 or so.

it doesn't show on max gs but it does show on my power.

in combat if you look at stat sheet for 11 seconds it gives me 845 more power added to the 800 i already get leading to getting 6000 power and lasts about 5 seconds so as long as i remain in combat my power is higher every 5 seconds.

but my gearscore is still the same regardless as gear score is the sum of your stats from your gear and enchants.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So like I said: augments don't contribute to gear score.

I'm not saying augments don't give you stats, because that would be ridiculous: that is the entire purpose of augment pets.

But: they don't make your arbitrary zonechat LFG epeen any bigger, hence all the "14.5k + stone" spamming.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    epeen? i don't even use lfg or zone lol its pointless tbh. that was just a slip of the tongue anyway which i ended up correcting before even seeing your post... i edit things i say to get a point across like a rough draft then correct lang and errors apologies.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    one4change wrote: »
    Just a rant here. How many of you are tired of the GF always getting blamed? If the CW's healing ability sucks and the group dies...it's the GF's fault. If a player is so squishy he can't take two hits from an add before dying...it's the GF's fault for not kiting every add within a second. And what GF hasn't been to the same dungeon several times and when he kites the adds, someone will complain he should be tanking the boss...and when he tanks the boss;no he should be kiting. This has happened to me on a few dungeons, even though we beat boss they complain. Well, that's my rant for the day, which was at least partly done jokingly :)

some of main reasons i did not roll tank: tanks are always the one to blame in mmos when dungeon goes slow ,when someone die it is because of tank,when aoe dps wizards do to much aoe dps and colect agro it is because of tank,when healer die it is because of tank so i just roled dps in here :p
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    nah when cw get too much aggro its the wizards fault especially when they realize that they have all the aggro and continue to attack; and when healers die its because everyone is usually to busy fighting boss to notice the dc needs help.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    fauust01 wrote: »

..not as much as another good GWF or CW in that slot.
    thestaggy wrote: »
    True. My Cleric is BiS High Prophet, all rank 6s, normal Vorpal and only has a GS of 12.2k. Not even a full Miracle Healer (which I have) will push me over 13k. I've no idea how much more time and possibly money I'd need to put in to reach the 14k mark.

It's quite easy, if you do your dailies and have all the boons. That's a chunk of stat right upfront. Also, once you're using r8+ gems, things naturally find their levels. Ditto proper PvE set weapons, which have their own +450 set bonus or similar, alongside good stats.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ha ha i remember when gwf was the odd man out because they didn't do enough damage and were classified and dismissed as an off tank.

i also remember when final fantasy 1 came out irrelevant but still.

rank 8's quite easy? maybe if you're buying them...
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    some of main reasons i did not roll tank: tanks are always the one to blame in mmos when dungeon goes slow ,when someone die it is because of tank,when aoe dps wizards do to much aoe dps and colect agro it is because of tank,when healer die it is because of tank so i just roled dps in here :p

Even in trinity games, assuming the tank didn't try to zerg in an undergeared group
    tank dies = healer fault
    healer dies = tanks fault
    dps dies = dps's fault
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    ..not as much as another good GWF or CW in that slot.

It's quite easy, if you do your dailies and have all the boons. That's a chunk of stat right upfront. Also, once you're using r8+ gems, things naturally find their levels. Ditto proper PvE set weapons, which have their own +450 set bonus or similar, alongside good stats.

^this.
    My HR has 14.6k and she only hit 60 5 days ago. Admittedly, I salvaged some R8s from my GF who I downgraded to R7s.
    Just do dailies for boons for ~1500 GS(don't remember how HP is calculated into GS). Get some R7 enchants and a 2/2 setup for your gear unless your class has an outstanding 4/4 set. Get the weapon/offhands with a bonus.

Don't forget to fill your active companion slots too. The free arc promo green illusionist is 110GS and the white pets are 25 each. It's pretty easy to inflate your GS, having said that it's often more effective to actually look at your stats and build properly. I'd rather a 12k dude with properly thought out stats and build than a 14k guy with random *** stats.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    epeen? i don't even use lfg or zone lol its pointless tbh.

yeah, sorry: I honestly couldn't think of a better way to describe gearscore other than epeen. :-/

It's basically what it is, though. Below 10k it's not a bad metric for determining someone's general experience (though 'inspect>>check for greens' is also pretty easy), but above that it's increasingly irrelevant, and things like "works well with the party", "knows positioning", "can actually use the shift key" and "isn't an abusive, arrogant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-end" all become far more important (to me, at least).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    agreed with that. but even those could end up being lies too cue in the 17k gf who bought his gear and preceded to call everyone noobs and worst (add class here) ever over dumb stuff like a non perma tr not being able to make the run from camp to camp in karru yet as the same cw i was describing with out her stone I helped the tr make it to camp by myself then got myself a nub too; lol as if.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    yeah, sorry: I honestly couldn't think of a better way to describe gearscore other than epeen. :-/

It's basically what it is, though. Below 10k it's not a bad metric for determining someone's general experience (though 'inspect>>check for greens' is also pretty easy), but above that it's increasingly irrelevant, and things like "works well with the party", "knows positioning", "can actually use the shift key" and "isn't an abusive, arrogant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-end" all become far more important (to me, at least).
    I'd say that line is more like 12-14. I leveled up a cleric a little over a month ago, and spent 30k ad when I dinged 60. That 30k let me get a 10k gs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    right but at 10k you still shouldn't be doing a t2 anyway unless you are with a higher geared crowd.

and you can tell who has earned theirs by how set up their enchants are and who just bought whatever to inflate.
  • Options
    krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Even in trinity games, assuming the tank didn't try to zerg in an undergeared group
    tank dies = healer fault
    healer dies = tanks fault
    dps dies = dps's fault

I'd say here it is more like:

Tank dies = Tank's fault
    Healer dies = healer's fault.
    DPS dies = dps's fault.

Excepting of course when all your mates are already dead and you simply get overwhelmed.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'd say here it is more like:

Tank dies = Tank's fault
    Healer dies = healer's fault.
    DPS dies = dps's fault.

Excepting of course when all your mates are already dead and you simply get overwhelmed.

That is very true as this is not a trinity game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    oh sure blame the tank for dying not that he died covering everyones ***

and if he just walked into a fight and died because he's conquerer then yeah its his fault and he's not a true tank they sack too much defense for attack power.

and the healer only dies if he's left alone protect the healer so he can protect you.

Edit: ha ha add cw's thats everyones go to move no imagination at all.

go do all the dungeons with 5 cw's from fresh 60 to vt if they are so great but oh no theres no one to heal them or protect them...

If one of them falls then they all do.

yeah you can get past 10k with just blues and a few rank 5s doesn't make you able to do t2s with ease though.

And besides that once they make a high enough tier dungeon for the elites even they will need a tank.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I guess at really high end it's more

"Tank dies...why did you bring a tank?"
    "Healer dies..o noes teh debuffs, nvm: ADD MOAR CWs"
    "DPS dies...ADD MOAR CWs"

As for buying your way to 10k GS, I'd still reckon that knowing this is a thing you can do puts you above a lot of the crowd.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I'd say that line is more like 12-14. I leveled up a cleric a little over a month ago, and spent 30k ad when I dinged 60. That 30k let me get a 10k gs.

Yep, I did similar, though spent less.. Then spammed dailies like a mad thing to get a ton of (genuinely useful and relevant) stats on my shiny new HR. Heck, some of the sub-100AD (on the AH) blues are excellent, and will make it very easy to get you over that 10k with stats that actually make you t2 viable for virtually nothing.

To be honest, given that a few days of Dread Ring and some AH blues can put you way over 10k in useful stats, just scraping the GS for a dungeon really is like saying "LOLz carry me m8s!".