test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improving Guild reason in Neverwinter (Take a look)

saidencloudsaidencloud Member Posts: 80 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hey everyone,

I'm Saidencloud, my guildies just call me Saiden (not satan),

anyway, to help the Devs put some Ideas together for guilds, because lets face it, aside from grinding Gauntlgrym, there's not much reason for having one. Except of course for community. I wanted to put some Ideas together that can help strengthen the Idea of Guilds in Neverwinter! I hope that you will all help by adding your own thoughts in reply. In the end the Devs will come to see these responses and see how much demand there is for this kind of thing.

we've all heard Guild House and Matching suites or armor, maybe even a logo. These are great Ideas and hopefully might one day come to fruition. Here are some of the Ideas I was thinking of on this:

*Guild Bank~ Astral Diamond Pool- adding a pool of collected and donated AD's by guild mates that can only be spent on things to improve the guild as a whole, like unlocking new maps that Guild mates can explore together. i'll get into further detail below, just keep in mind this new feature can be used to help unlock things like the following.

*New Guild only PvP, pit the best against the best, bigger maps maybe 10v10, but the point is only those who are in the guild may partake on a single side. These maps can be unlock able slowly through the guild bank pool of AD.

*The Guild House: to improve on this, I'd like to add that each additional room, bar, common room, Salvaging corner, stand in Auction House Representative (with up price of 10%) can be added to the Guild House by purchasing it through AD also accumulated through the Guild Bank AD pool.

*Matching Logo's for uniforms/armor: Another great thought, adding a symbol that represents your guild to a weapon or armor, the Logo itself can be multiple layers, and each Layer is unlock able through AD, as well as colors. each individual who wants to use the logo, may pay AD to have it engraved on there armor/weapons.

*10-15-20 man Raids, guild members only, can take part in the most epic of dungeons or other guild houses, add in a Trophy system to add to the guild house common wall for each raid/larger dungeon beaten. making these almost impossibly hard to beat would just add to the need to do it.

I have more Idea's but I'm running outta time atm, Please feel free to add to this yourselves! or even give me a +1 if its something you would like to see added!

thanks,
@saidencloud

P.S. Not sure exactly where to place this so I posted it a couple of times in other areas.
<SHADRA> Guild House currently open: NW-DBSTUHWLT
Post edited by saidencloud on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No guilds should be a chat, a roster, and a bank at most. Anything else does toxic things to every game I've played that tried to expand guilds. It soon became be a member of a rank x guild or get out, be a rank x guild or have no players. It's toxic to new guilds and new players and should be avoided. Neverwinter's guild system is just about perfect. (maybe allow members to donate ad for bank tabs) No changes should be made as any change will only make the game worse.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    No guilds should be a chat, a roster, and a bank at most. Anything else does toxic things to every game I've played that tried to expand guilds. It soon became be a member of a rank x guild or get out, be a rank x guild or have no players. It's toxic to new guilds and new players and should be avoided. Neverwinter's guild system is just about perfect. (maybe allow members to donate ad for bank tabs) No changes should be made as any change will only make the game worse.

Adding guild cosmetics is not a change that is "toxic" under these conditions, surely?

Other mainstream MMO's also have guild icons visible in-game in player nameplates, which can be player designed in their equivalent of a Gateway/Armory.
    edited February 2014
    fondlez wrote: »
    Adding guild cosmetics is not a change that is "toxic" under these conditions, surely?

Other mainstream MMO's also have guild icons visible in-game in player nameplates, which can be player designed in their equivalent of a Gateway/Armory.
    True cosmetics aren't bad. If it's only cosmetic it would be fine, as soon as it adds either power or convience it gets toxic.
  • moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Anything else does toxic things to every game I've played that tried to expand guilds.

I don't know what mmo you play, but mmos that I played in the past that have expanded on guilds have been a great edition to the game.

Here are some basic things the guild system in NW dosent have, we're in 2014 now.

-Guild Housing, a place where you guild can hang out and of course customize with furniture.
    -Guild Emblem, upload or choose stock picture provided by crypic.
    -Guild Buffs, boosted stats in PvE.
    -Guild Level, why do we have to spend millions of AD to unlock more bank space? why cap it at 400 members? level up and get more.

^ these are standard now in mmorpgs. there are more like guild rankings, gvg pvp, propper guild alliance ect... list is endless...
    edited February 2014
    I don't know what mmo you play, but mmos that I played in the past that have expanded on guilds have been a great edition to the game.

Here are some basic things the guild system in NW dosent have, we're in 2014 now.

-Guild Housing, a place where you guild can hang out and of course customize with furniture.
    -Guild Emblem, upload or choose stock picture provided by crypic.
    -Guild Buffs, boosted stats in PvE.
    -Guild Level, why do we have to spend millions of AD to unlock more bank space? why cap it at 400 members? level up and get more.

^ these are standard now in mmorpgs. there are more like guild rankings, gvg pvp, propper guild alliance ect... list is endless...
    And with the exception of housing/emblem which is cosmetic each of those makes mmo's worse than what they used to be.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No they don't. Have been playing MMOs since 2000 and havent seen those cause problems in any MMO I have played.
  • twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    No they don't. Have been playing MMOs since 2000 and havent seen those cause problems in any MMO I have played.
    That's merely a matter of perspective. If being in a guild offers a tangible benefit to players, not being in one soon becomes a non-option for most of the playerbase. If being in a larger guild offers a larger benefit, being in a small one soon becomes a non-option for most of the playerbase. Being penalized for not wanting to play in a guild will always make a game worse, though it will of course not be very apparent to the ones interested in and active within a guild. Being in a guild can be a great social experience, but the more benefit guilded players have over non-guilded, the less relevant the social aspect becomes.
    Having lots of cosmetic opportunities for players who want part of the guild community is a great thing, forcing players into a guild to be competiitive is not.
    edited February 2014
    Did you actually read the OP. The talk about buffs was for PvE, it has nothing to do with PvP and your post even tho doesn't outright say it but you are referring to PvP.
  • twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Did you actually read the OP. The talk about buffs was for PvE, it has nothing to do with PvP and your post even tho doesn't outright say it but you are referring to PvP.
    No, I'm not referring to PvP. I said "benefit", it whatever form it may be.
  • nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Rethinking guilds is a good way to attempt to address the complete lack of a community in this game. I don't like the idea of leveled guilds or guild housing, which is just more cosmetic <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that will cost zen and really add nothing substantial to the game. Simple idea: Running a dungeon with all members from the same guild could offer some type of bonus.

Many don't seem to want the tight knit guild community seen in other games for some reason. But I think we can all agree, those tight knit guilds from other games kept you playing that game for longer than you would have, had it been like this game, where most don't even talk to each other, they're just there for GG. That can only translate to more money for the developers.

Some type of guild based progression that offers the individual players that cooperate some type of incentive, and not something superficial that you get for being in a level 10 guild. Perhaps adding another chest to all dungeons that only unlocks when all players in the group are members of the same guild? Doesn't have to be a huge bonus, but something that will cause players to want to group with other guild members. Also don't want to make it so that no one ever wants to run with a non guildy, because they wouldn't get said bonus....but some type of incentive that will help bring about a stronger community....which personally, guild housing and emblems would do absolutely nothing for me in that regard.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Consider that some just don't join a real guild because all other ways except having an own bank makes transferring items from toon A to toon B a quest.
    Writing mails with up to 5 items to get stuff from A to B is in my opinion not on the top of the list of smart things to do.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    edited February 2014
    The guild I am in started in DDO back in 2009, they are still around to this day over there. they have since branched out to here and into two other games. this is called a close knit guild. Any idea to improve guild community is a good thing. And these ideas are good.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gauntlgrym is already Guilds only. There's no need to hide any further content behind a guild gate.
  • meeheemeehee Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Ohh you don't want cryptic to design "guild housing".... in their other game star trek online they have "Fleet Starbases" that are basicly guild housing, and let me tell you that unless your guild is massive and very active you are screwed into a souless grind, which does nothing for the quality of gameplay except screw over smaller guilds.... Which is a real shame considering that most of the best gear is locked away at the higher levels of the fleet starbases and their many holdings....
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Guilds should not offer any stat/ability boost, that's what will lead to resentment, people feeling forced to join a guild. If you keep it cosmetic, keep it's benefits on a level of nice to have but no one would reasonably require you to have it to run content, then more people could agree.

Personally, I would benefit greatly from Guild based boosts and content unlocking. The guild I'm in is very active, and like rhoric's, it's been around longer than this game (since 2000 to be exact). That doesn't mean I think all of these ideas are the way to go.

Guild housing? Yes.
    Guild crest? Yes please.
    Guild transmutation items? Love it (thinking cloak/shield type items with the crest).
    Guild Dye packs? Nice idea there.

No to unlocking more guild specific gameplay content though as it alienates non guild players.

I did like the idea of guild vs guild PvP for a particular reason. We already do this in game, in the normal maps. We get two teams together, queue at the same time, and generally end up faced off against one another. It would be awesome to have the ability to guarantee we did instead of chancing it. However, I wouldn't limit that to guilds, I would open it up to anyone. Make it so the group leader can challenge another group leader to a PvP match, and if all accept, you enter PvP with your pre-selected opponent. Call it a PvP Challenge.
  • jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    P.S. Not sure exactly where to place this so I posted it a couple of times in other areas.
    Please don't do this. I've now merged all your threads into this one and merged them into one OP. Thanks!
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    Guilds should not offer any stat/ability boost, that's what will lead to resentment, people feeling forced to join a guild. If you keep it cosmetic, keep it's benefits on a level of nice to have but no one would reasonably require you to have it to run content, then more people could agree.

Personally, I would benefit greatly from Guild based boosts and content unlocking. The guild I'm in is very active, and like rhoric's, it's been around longer than this game (since 2000 to be exact). That doesn't mean I think all of these ideas are the way to go.

Guild housing? Yes.
    Guild crest? Yes please.
    Guild transmutation items? Love it (thinking cloak/shield type items with the crest).
    Guild Dye packs? Nice idea there.

No to unlocking more guild specific gameplay content though as it alienates non guild players.

I did like the idea of guild vs guild PvP for a particular reason. We already do this in game, in the normal maps. We get two teams together, queue at the same time, and generally end up faced off against one another. It would be awesome to have the ability to guarantee we did instead of chancing it. However, I wouldn't limit that to guilds, I would open it up to anyone. Make it so the group leader can challenge another group leader to a PvP match, and if all accept, you enter PvP with your pre-selected opponent. Call it a PvP Challenge.

i was going to post, but this pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited February 2014
    They are millions of BS guilds or 1 person guilds in the game ...Active and populated guilds who really play the game in any aspect of it should be allowed to level up and include a Icon next to their name.

Also alliances with other guilds is good idea
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Agreed on most points. I would like more stuff for my guild, housing great, crest, great.

I would also love intra and inter-guild PvP instead of the silly system done here.

As a guild leader I'd also like to know who are leaders and officers in other guilds, have a guild wall so people can find me (and so I can find them).

I already go out of my way to maintain good relationships with many other guilds, but this system is clunky and i dislike it right now. Hopefully we can do that...

BTW I have many friends in Synergy, who's guild leader there?
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Maybe you mean it isn't a dictatorship, or monarchy?
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ah, cool man. We are a tyranny, but we a kind tyranny :D Before I made this guild, I had a discussion with my officers and there must be a place where there is a final word on something. That final word is mine.

However, I think my guildies are a pretty happy bunch. I'd like to keep them that way. :D
  • jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Democracy based tribunal leadership has worked better than one man having the final word in my experiences as a guild member and as a guild leader. Just my 2cents.
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • macaran5123macaran5123 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Only thing I'd really like for the guild system is to have alliances. I wouldn't ever leave my guild, as it's my community online and the members are my friends, but we have other guilds that we play with and are friends with. Currently we have to make a custom chat channel and invite members one at a time. Just making the ability for guild leaders to "join" a guild to a chat channel would make me happy.
    edited February 2014
    Tyranny doesn't mean single ruler either guys. :(
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe allow members to donate AD for guild banks?! This should have been done at day 1 release!! The fact it still isn't' in the game is beyond ridiculous!!!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    calvin1tag wrote: »
    Maybe allow members to donate AD for guild banks?! This should have been done at day 1 release!! The fact it still isn't' in the game is beyond ridiculous!!!

this would only work if you could pay for a portion of the guild bank storage, not add a pool of AD that can be accessed because it would undermine the limitation of the transference of AD between accounts. maybe you could buy guild bank storage credits through the zen store or through the wondrous bazaar. x amount of credits = the next bank storage tier.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Guild housing and distinctive Guild crests are fine. As would be any other purely cosmetic item for belonging to a guild. You should not receive any sort of stat bonuses or have any content predicated on belonging to a guild. This would just discriminate against people who don't want to be in a guild or those that belong to smaller guilds. A Guild should be social club where people who have similar game play styles can come together and help each other out, more than that and it is just detrimental to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saidencloudsaidencloud Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Guild housing and distinctive Guild crests are fine. As would be any other purely cosmetic item for belonging to a guild. You should not receive any sort of stat bonuses or have any content predicated on belonging to a guild. This would just discriminate against people who don't want to be in a guild or those that belong to smaller guilds. A Guild should be social club where people who have similar game play styles can come together and help each other out, more than that and it is just detrimental to the game.

I agree, which is why I had mentioned a new trophy system, that would mean nothing to anyone else except the guild. achievements that your guild have brought together. it could be kind of like the Achievements points you get in the game already. Some people like to play the game alone, and they can never get the items from a raid or super dungeon like that. (guild stuff aside though, they should really add a dungeon that requires more then 5 people, then at that point they could, because it would be accessible for anyone). In my experience though, the biggest reason for a guild is for the community you get. Those that don't play with friends or at least guild members don't tend to play that long, as soon as they get their epic gear of extra awesomeness, (lol). they eventually leave, and wont return unless something new comes to the game that they once liked. They need add things to keep these communities alive, too many people are losing interest in the game because they've reached their personal goals and don't care anymore.

I really want to see some big guild changes, even if it doesn't increase stats, they've already got enough stat boosting with the Artifacts, and now a 15k gs GWF might look like he's got experience but he's only reached 60 yesterday.
  • saidencloudsaidencloud Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    this would only work if you could pay for a portion of the guild bank storage, not add a pool of AD that can be accessed because it would undermine the limitation of the transference of AD between accounts. maybe you could buy guild bank storage credits through the zen store or through the wondrous bazaar. x amount of credits = the next bank storage tier.

that's true, but i'm thinking of a pool that can only be withdrawn from for guild purposes like unlocking stuff. like guild PvP maps, Bank tabs and adding cosmetic things. Otherwise, guild leaders could abuse this and have several AD they tax from their guild members for there own desires.