test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So... any reason yet to create content?

ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Foundry
So i've been absent obviously a very long while from the scene, but I keep logging back in looking for boss encounters, dragons, beholders etc all to be implemented. An overhaul to the whole rating system, best tab, etc.

Has any of this taken place at all? From what I could find there has been little to nothing added in since august. Are they completely abandoning the foundry ? Its such a shame.
Halls_Sig.jpg
Post edited by ellindar1 on

Comments

• Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There have been lots of changes since August. However, there really is only one answer to your question: you should come back if you would have fun making foundries.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some search changes are coming in a future update (Module 3?) that is currently on the preview server. But Melinden pretty much had the right idea. I find it worth creating foundries, several others do as well, but that doesn't mean you will.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have plenty of fun creating and perfecting adventures with the foundry... I just wish there were some reason for players to try our work.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    So i've been absent obviously a very long while from the scene, but I keep logging back in looking for boss encounters, dragons, beholders etc all to be implemented. An overhaul to the whole rating system, best tab, etc.

Has any of this taken place at all? From what I could find there has been little to nothing added in since august. Are they completely abandoning the foundry ? Its such a shame.

Still all the same old problems more or less, but they have been adding new things and they did try to fix the search functions. It still has some issues though.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some new Solo critters and encounters (Thayan and Fomorian), some new assets, some Volume Assets (auto doors/gates/bridges/sliding-walls, special speed-boost/slippery/slow-fall areas), some new special effects.

"Mostly" fixed foundry search tabs -- still needs some work.

5 more quest slots.

Get in and browse around.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To answer op's question, the only thing asked about that's been addressed is search now works, generally (still see "cant find my quest threads).

Bosses, dragons, beholders, cubes? Lol no.

We do have probably 10-15 different currencies ingame though!
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We do have probably 10-15 different currencies ingame though!

10-15?!? roflmao. I got up to 28 and that was without all the Event currencies!
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nope they're still ignoring us :D

Or at least withholding a lot of the stuff we need to make better foundry quests.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    10-15?!? roflmao. I got up to 28 and that was without all the Event currencies!
    Well, I was going for things added since ellindar left, but you obviously get the point.
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys, if we made quests better than their quests, for free, some one would wonder 'why are we paying these guys to build adventures?'

Ask for too much and we may see a small shopping cart in the foundry for additional content for your mod. Oops i should delete this.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    say1o wrote: »
    Hey guys, if we made quests better than their quests, for free, some one would wonder 'why are we paying these guys to build adventures?'

Ask for too much and we may see a small shopping cart in the foundry for additional content for your mod. Oops i should delete this.

I have many comments saying that my campaign story is better than the stories in game and I have read many comments on many quests saying the same thing.

I'd also have to agree with some of these comments, some of the campaigns and solo quests are far better than much of the content in game and that's without the extra's. I'd actually like to see something like the foundry without the attached game. Also it would be nice to be able to make hole maps. with many quests.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I don't disagree with you Antonkyle.

It just reminds me of when I was a kid and I wanted a fish tank. I got the fish tank with fish. Then I thought wouldn't it be nice to have the picture on the back of the fish tank. Dad went over to a calendar with a beach picture, tore it off and nailed it to the fish tank. Now I got everything I asked for, but the tank doesn't hold water, the fish are dead and my carpet is wet.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And there are people that think this and play for this reason.

However, most people don't care if the story is better or the quests are better. This has been talked about heavily since Alpha. The subset of players in a free MMO that even remotely care about the story is small...and we are all right here in the Foundry forums.

The rest of the players will avoid community quests regardless of their quality, and stick to the lower quality official content simply because it has the lootz and gearz OMGZ.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The truth of the matter is, the reason why I prefer dev-created content to Foundry stuff is because the devs attach, (for the most part), better rewards, to the content they add. You can create the most well-written and exciting story ever, but if the rewards are no better than a quick set of Dread Ring dailies, (not counting the instance), then I'm not going to bother with it.

It's not your guys' fault, either - I think the devs need to come up with a way of providing meaningful rewards for playing foundries - I hesitate to say so, but perhaps some sort of foundry token system, which rewards based upon player feedback, foundry length, intricacy of design, and several other factors. They key is to also weed out the farm missions which are just there to exploit the various daily tasks at the same time.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is, the reason why I prefer dev-created content to Foundry stuff is because the devs attach, (for the most part), better rewards, to the content they add. You can create the most well-written and exciting story ever, but if the rewards are no better than a quick set of Dread Ring dailies, (not counting the instance), then I'm not going to bother with it.

It's not your guys' fault, either - I think the devs need to come up with a way of providing meaningful rewards for playing foundries - I hesitate to say so, but perhaps some sort of foundry token system, which rewards based upon player feedback, foundry length, intricacy of design, and several other factors. They key is to also weed out the farm missions which are just there to exploit the various daily tasks at the same time.

And thus us the downfall of the modern RPG. Used to be D&D was about the stories and not the rewards. In fact, a true D&D game, you will generally stick with the same gear for most or several sessions, and in Turbine DDO, you do not upgrade items that often.

Just saying, the Foundry was a great idea, but they put it in a game that has FAR to much focus on gear in the official game that no one wants to worry about the story of community content, because foundry quests wont help you get into a higher tier dungeon.

Its both the the communities fault and Cryptic's fault.
  • Options
    buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Updates have been added including those mentioned and Room Builder. Perhaps following Thayan (and Formorian) updates there will be more hope that missed content from earlier game will be ported across. Some looked for content will not appear imo because they will just spawn Epicz 1 Room farm quests filled with all Dragonkind that has existed since the dawn of time - and trying to build protections against that would require (unjustifiable?) extra work.

Timers, Boss builder, foundry inventory and non objective text on Markers & portals are the main things I'm looking for.....as well as routine import of Event assets. Not interested in Foundry gear loot.....superchests imo should be for unlocking achievments, AD and Foundry 'event' rewards (cue another currency ;) )
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    And thus us the downfall of the modern RPG. Used to be D&D was about the stories and not the rewards.
    D&D still is about the stories.
  • Options
    rigelliarigellia Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    I just want to say, I've never been the sort of high-gear, epic-raids sort of player and what drew me to start playing an MMORPG like Neverwinter the most was the Foundry. I just really enjoy playing other people's creations and seeing the stories they are telling. But, as most of you have said already, it is truly unfortunate that Cryptic and the rest of the game/community focuses so much on gear and the lack of support Cryptic has in providing some monetary/gear incentives for players to try community quests is not helpful at all.

It's just disheartening to see tons of quick achievement quests and mob farms jump ahead of the large amount of hard-worked story quests sitting in the review section. It's no fault other than the gear-centric nature of the MMORPG genre really.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    in Turbine DDO, you do not upgrade items that often.
    This is blatantly false. The only people that don't upgrade items are those with BiS. If you don't have a BiS item you will be upgrading every update for some items and every 3-4 levels while leveling. Providing such false information doesn't do anyone any good.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I am sure this topic has been beaten like a dead horse. I couldn't get into D&D until I had the game interface like Neverwinter Nights and Baulder's Gater. BG1- Icewindale had me hooked. It had everything, story an flaming weapon to work up too, traps, and stealth and I needed to use my brain to play.

I came here for the Roleplay and the Foundry. Above I am looking from a money maker perspective. It does seem to be a win win as is with the fun of building for free and playing for free. The ones paying to play hopefully keep playing because we keep building new things. It is a source of perpetual new content.

I have found it hard to role play though. In the traditional sense. If I were to speak the word Dungeon Siege in front of a D&D enthusiast, I would be scratching my axe hole for days. It seems here the never ending gauntlet to the next better item has been told to play nicely in this pool with D&D. Pools are usually rounded and a confined space. While they may have a shallow end and a deep end, it is still a confined space.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Currently, it is extremely hard for folks interested in story to actually wade through the dross and find good missions.

It's possible that that portion of the players is tiny and not worth pursuing.
    But unless searching functionality is substantially improved, we'll never know.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I doubt that D&D enthusiast would play Neverwinter to be honest. It's kind of like someone taking a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on your flower patch.

The sad truth is that Neverwinter could and almost was a really good MMO game, but everything that is good is somehow made bad like the epic combat system, on of the best in the mmo world but then to back it up with what they call PVP here. It seems they just didn't have a clue what people wanted. Then there is the foundry, my biggest reason for finding my way here. An amazing tool but then you need to put up with the effects that one, ah, this has no loot 1 star has on your foundry quest. The PVE is better than most but not up to the standard of games that are not mmo's.

but the biggest killer for me is the pay to win model, I'm not gonna put
    zahinder wrote: »

Indeed, I mean whoever thought that adding a search function where the numbers counted for nothing and the players could rate but the authors can not should simply not have a job. The fact that it got through beta and the test servers.... you couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The critical thing, IMO, is some sort of predictive modeling - the system should analyze what folks liked missions like you, and help you find more.

At the VERY least there should be some way to set up some kind of 'critics' list, where you can check missions that are rated highly by people whose opinion you respect.

Basic infrastructure. Every time I look at the way things are set up, I wonder if Cryptic has met any gamers. Or people.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    This is blatantly false. The only people that don't upgrade items are those with BiS. If you don't have a BiS item you will be upgrading every update for some items and every 3-4 levels while leveling. Providing such false information doesn't do anyone any good.

Which is about 3-4 times faster then other MMO's where you upgrade someones twice in a single level. That is what I am getting at. NWO while leveling its not uncommon to go through several items for the same gear slot within a span of 3 levels.

And updates are akin to starting a new P&P session, where you take what you earned from the last on and work towards possibly something better.
    Currently, it is extremely hard for folks interested in story to actually wade through the dross and find good missions.

The reason we have to wade through tons of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> missions, is again, because of the player base. Notice how many of the top 30 quests or so are the same mindless XP farm speed run that is just long enough to qualify for the daily, but easy enough you can do it without any reading and just spamming your kill buttons. These quests then get hundreds of 5 star ratings simply because the majority of the player base survives on this mindless drivel. Of course, but that is the F2P community in a nutshell.

A lot of complaints that story driven quests are....too long, or too much reading....or the famous no lootz in chest! because the player just clicked through the text as fast as possible, shortened the overall quest time a lot for themselves and the box at the end gave them nothing.
    ...Basic infrastructure. Every time I look at the way things are set up, I wonder if Cryptic has met any gamers. Or people.

Cryptic already had some issues but I expected them to be more active in fixing them, however Perfect World Entertainment, who bought brought Cryptic half way through development, typically does not care enough. Their mentality is to spit out as many half assed games as possible, milk them for all the money they can, and dump them when they start to lose profitability.

PWE, in my opinion, is the number one reason for NWO's problems. Even when STO when F2P, it kept things simple. PWE on the other hand loves to have absurd numbers of different currencies, and we see that plainly in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Which is about 3-4 times faster then other MMO's where you upgrade someones twice in a single level. That is what I am getting at. NWO while leveling its not uncommon to go through several items for the same gear slot within a span of 3 levels.

And updates are akin to starting a new P&P session, where you take what you earned from the last on and work towards possibly something better.
    We played two totally different versions of the other mmo. As far as the gear in this game, the reason you don't upgrade more in this game is that leveling is extremely fast. Probably the fastest leveling of any mmo that I've played. Second reason is that the solo leveling content in this game is far far too easy. I capped a cleric the other day running thru the quests as fast as I could. When I capped I bought some gear from the ah to start running t2's and realized the gear I was replacing in a few cases still had a ml of 20 something on it. Any other game on the market would have smashed my face in trying to zerg level at 59 with gear 40 levels out of date.
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok gang.. I'll go ahead and say it... this game really sucks. If it weren't for the foundry just about all of us (those that post here in this section of the forum) would be long gone by now. This game is built for 12 year old kids. We, the authors, are probably older gamers. We like story driven adventures. BUT.. PWE is a company that is profit driven. And selling stuff (gear) to the players is how they make money. Ok.. I get it. Now, IF PWE wants to continue this little mmo of theirs, they better figure out how to get the general player of this game to play our foundry creations. Otherwise... most of us will slowly drift away. The children will eventually get bored.. and then this game will die. The foundry is the future of this game so, IMHO, PWE should find a way to get the players interested in our work. As is stands now.. there is literally no reason for the masses to play foundry missions. There are many, many problems with this game... the foundry is not one of the problems, it's the saving grace of this game. Perhaps, PWE should consider this at their next meeting.. when they are trying to figure out a way to get the kids to spend more money. Hey, I've been around the gaming community for quite a while now (I'm 50 years old) and I have seen many games come and go. I am quite sure there are some young programmers and game designers out there that are taking a close look at NWO. Especially, the good qualities of this game. How long do you think it will be before some OTHER company comes up with a better game with UGC? I give it 3 years, tops. To be honest, I don't actually play NWO. I have.. and I got bored in about 4 days. It's the foundry that brings me back. I sometimes play foundry missions to review the author's work and check out their creations... but personally I don't really like this game. I don't care for games that rely of flashy graphics and instant gratification (for real, max level can be obtained in a week?). I want to play games that will keep me interested for years. The Foundry is the only part of this game that can do this, for me anyways.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    At least, look at the bright side, folks. You're not as bad off as STO authors. At least you guys still have a Foundry team. Ours was put on NW at about moment that you guys are in right now (meaning the time span from the launch of the game to when our toolset was left in the woods to rot).

Just hope that Cryptic's new "secret project" really does focus on consoles and not ugc. Maybe your team will stick around and try to address your concerns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    a bunch of insults

Might want to try things without the insults. I'm not 12 year old, I'm 33, but guess what, I don't like the foundry. There is almost zero character progression, zero loot (outside of fey blessing farms), and zero challenge. I'll put this out to the authors now. If you can kill me with something other than putting your entire encounter limit in the smallest room possible so no one has a way to move I will find a way to tip you 100,000 ad. You will not be able to do it and I will never pay this out.

This means I get no reward, while reading (mostly) badly done fan fiction level stories, while experiencing no challenge, what part of that is suppossed to be fun for me?
  • Options
    myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    I don't think there's any real disagreement here. The complaint isn't that players dislike or don't run the Foundry. There are, as you note, plenty of excellent reasons why any rational player wouldn't bother with it. Frankly, a player can run any of the Thayan or Feywild lairs or dungeons (which are themselves well-designed, more challenging and more rewarding) rather than a Foundry mission. I'd wager that, for most players, they'd have to really want 4,000 Astral Diamonds on top of their other dailies to consistently run the Foundry.

I'm sure authors would love to create more challenging encounters that don't involve stacking the most painful mobs we can think of in hilariously small spaces. We'd love the rewards from the Foundry to be more than blue items you instantly vendor for 30 silver. We'd like players to have equivalent progression from running the Foundry as from running campaign lairs. But we can't really do any of that, so here we are.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just hope that Cryptic's new "secret project" really does focus on consoles and not ugc.
    The secret console project isnt really secret, PWE's CEO announced it already. Neverwinter is going to be released for consoles.
    http://2p.com/3647950_1/Perfect-World-CEO-Confirmed-Neverwinter-Console-Version-by-JoeLW.htm