test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

People should not be able to have same names.

2»

Comments

• aronath123aronath123 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    This. I would rather people not be original at all, then see Drizzt; Drizzit; Dr1zzt; Drizt; XDrizztX; Drizzt123; -=-Drizzt-=-; etc etc.

they do exist, actually.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    If it bothers you that much, just turn off player names. The only names I see while in game is those of my guildies if we happen to be in the same zone and instance.

I do this, bu mainly because the gui elements eat up so much of the game's performance... I only show names when targeted or if they're a guildie/friend/teammate.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    LOL, If cryptic made it so no one could have the same name then there would be no new players since the gold sellers would own all the names....and would probably try to sell those too.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Whats worse a hundreds of Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon Snow is lurking in Protector's Enclave.
  • vehementinaconvehementinacon Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know how many people actually have the name John Smith? Hell there's 237 people in the USA with the same First middle and last name as mine. I know this because my dad tried to figure out who his father was and still can't due to how many people share the same name.

What you should complain about is the fact that NO ONE has an excuse to use a number in their name. Yet they do...
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I suppose then it's a case of people substituting 1 or more letters to still spell out an offensive word...

Or spelling it backwards.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like originality, or using a name generator, but never use a name I know is famous (ie Drizzt, Jarlaxle, Zaknafein for drow, Legolas for elves, ect.) there should be a copyright filter to protect Cryptic but I suppose since they use Forgotten Realms and WotC then they have already bought the rights to most those names.
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    People that use names of other things are kinda childish not in a good way, they only do that because they think there being so called cool. There is a difference between choosing a name for meaning, or choosing a name for being childish.
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tbh... It's too late to do anything about it. This is how it was at launch and if they changed it, it'd probably cause some raging...
    Just make names that are original. I don't think my character names are very original but I don't see many with the same name.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rortie wrote: »
    Funny, if I want real life I walk out the door. I play games for other reasons....

What I intended to say is, that I see no problem with 2 people having the same name, provided I can still "mark" them if need arises (that's easy, just check @handle).

You may see lots of Drizzt now, but if it wasn't the case, they would be Drizzt1, Drizzt392432, XdrizztX, oDRIZZTo, DR1ZZT and so on... and it would be far worse IMHO...
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Id love to have an optional surname that you could show or not show like a title. so if your name is Sue@globalname you could have the name so if you look at her you see Sue Weaver but when she talks she is just Sue@globalname and people would still only have to type /tell sue or /tell @globalname to talk to you or if sue gets married she could just change the surname so that people see Sue Whitelake but she is still Sue@globalname rather than have to change her entire name.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see duplicate names than spend an hour trying to find a name that isn't taken when I'm creating a new character. Also, as much as I think the name Drizzt is overused, I would rather see 100 Drizzts instead of "names" like Drizzt3497678 - it breaks the fantasy setting of the game more than a duplicate name does for me.

I don't mind characters named after famous fantasy figures, though I recognize they can cause copyright issues.

If I were the ruler of Neverwinter I would outlaw: :p

1. Characters named after foods.
    2. Characters with numbers in their names.
    3. Characters with mixed case letters (ChAdDiWiCkEr).
    4. Characters whose name starts with a lower case letter.
    5. Sexual and offensive names.
    6. Characters whose names are in all capital letters.
    7. Characters with non-grammatical symbols before, after or in their name (=*Chaddiwicker*=).

That's just my personal preference but, with the exception of sexual/offensive names, I recognize that people's choice of names in game may bring them joy so I try to let it go. ;)
    You forgot xx before and after the name, as in xxCharacternamExx, or xxJohnSmithxx. I think it was originally used on forums and in other games as we had to have unique names, so I don't know if I should laugh or cry when I see it in a game where we can have the same name.
    Oh, the most obvious answer possible. Thanks.

I can recognize the human and tiefling RNameG ones instantly, but it hadn't really occurred to me that these were the equivalent for half-orcs.
    My first character was called something as original as Eliza Steelfarmer, created by the random name generator. She was in the beta, and at the time, I didn't think much of it. How many Eliza's or Steelfarmer's cound there be anyway? Turns out... a lot. Now she's called Lissery Underwood, thanks to a small purchase on the Zen-market. :p (actually Lissery "the Misery" Underwood, but that's too long.) :p
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally I'm still for having a random name generator reunion event.

Lets get all the Seaskippers, Tumblebellies, Stalkingwolfs, Loreweavers, and the like, together for a big party.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have no issues with all of these common, offensive, mixed case letters, or random generated names. It just makes it easier to separate the peasants from us nobles. The one issue I have is using the Find Person with the name Kiera (thousands of them) with a certain last name. It turns out there were 4 of them and 2 were in the same guild. Guess someone is not getting a free Swashbuckler companion. :confused:
    Imagination.jpg
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It would annoy me if I ran into someone whose name was exactly the same as one of my characters' (mostly because I put a lot of thought into their names), but it adds to immersion for me if one of my common-surnamed characters. It would be weirder if there were no other Loreweavers or even Meriwethers running around. But then I'm picky enough about given names that it would be unlikely for me to see a character with the exact same combination of given name+surname unless they deliberately named their character after seeing mine, and that would annoy me. Otherwise I don't really care if there's over nine thousand Drizzts running around. You just kinda learn to filter them out.

It also helps that I too have names turned off except for friends/partymates/guildies (which is great so I can spot them in a crowd) unless I target someone, so I don't have to "ask" someone's name unless I want to. Something to consider, and it saves the computer's resources too.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Personally I'm still for having a random name generator reunion event.

Lets get all the Seaskippers, Tumblebellies, Stalkingwolfs, Loreweavers, and the like, together for a big party.

The one guy who changed his Rumblebelly into a Rumblebum makes me laugh.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its too late.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've only rarely ever had issues with people sharing my character names.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can understand where the OP is coming from...I was a bit annoyed the first time I saw another HR with exactly the same name as me running around PE. Eventually I'll get around to renaming her, but for now it's not really a big deal. I do feel that certain lore names should be locked out though. Drizzt, Elminster, etc...
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And after specifically saying that all the Luke Skywalkers are gone from Neverwinter, I saw one yesterday.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • pandoratanakapandoratanaka Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know that feel OP...

SO many "Pandora"'s running around, dem copycats ._.

Pandora's my irl name too, not just a nickname. But I don't mind them though. When I see another "Pandora" I usually PM him/her something alone the lines of "Nice name :D"
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2014

You may see lots of Drizzt now, but if it wasn't the case, they would be Drizzt1, Drizzt392432, XdrizztX, oDRIZZTo, DR1ZZT and so on... and it would be far worse IMHO...

And let's not forget the ever popular xlDxrxixzxzxtlx *eyes bleed*
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I'll see your xlDxrxixzxzxtlx and raise you a xXxxxLegolasrulezXxxxx :p
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Ok this is in good fun not a serious gripe, but that's kind of funny from you with your name Kinslayer01
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    We all want to be special, unique snowflakes.
  • starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes because I'd rather see XxXDrizztx, iLeGolAs, and etc. The ability to be allowed the same names is actually more realistic and when applied to MMOs, less headache-inducing.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    We all want to be special, unique snowflakes.

I am beautiful no matter what you say. :p
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No, I like it how it is.

I do not want to sit in my chair trying to type in a name only getting, "Sorry, that name is already being used by another player. Please try again." for about 2 hours before I can find something original.

Besides there are already tons of people with the same name. How would they change the system if people already have the same name?
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Ok this is in good fun not a serious gripe, but that's kind of funny from you with your name Kinslayer01

Granted, my forum handle isn't totally unique (I had a previous forum handle but had to create a new one upon first becoming a PWE mod) but it's not as badly butchered as to be nigh unintelligible, as the example given :P
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com