test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

People should not be able to have same names.

aronath123aronath123 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I know it's not a big deal for a lot of people in this game, but I'm quite sick of seeing a bunch of Drizzt's, Jarlaxle's, and Artemis' running around. Your characters name is part of your characters identity in any game, not a @example123 name. Just my thought of the day.
Post edited by aronath123 on

Comments

• Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    but that is common in the real world. popular first names and common sir names... in role playing, part of the fun is your character's background story. i guess it all depends on how much you get into that side of things.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    aronath123 wrote: »
    I know it's not a big deal for a lot of people in this game, but I'm quite sick of seeing a bunch of Drizzt's, Jarlaxle's, and Artemis' running around. Your characters name is part of your characters identity in any game, not a @example123 name. Just my thought of the day.

Er, that's how things work in real life too... O_o
  • Options
    jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The point is it brings a lack of originallity. What's the point of coming up with an awesome name that you really care about? Hopefully someone else doesn't think it's cool, create a character with the same name, and then let me witness their existence. It would annoy me to no end. Just saying I don't want imposter dopplegangers with my name...
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Er, that's how things work in real life too... O_o

Funny, if I want real life I walk out the door. I play games for other reasons....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jenisyde wrote: »
    Just saying I don't want imposter dopplegangers with my name...

I see your character name and think of Jennifer Lopez....

I am amused by the variants on NotDrizzt, Drizzl, etc. LegoLass

Whatever makes people happy. You gotta remember that some of them are 12 years old.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    LOL OP

You shoulda seen this game when it was during open beta and launch, game of thrones was in full throttle, the aryas the starks and watnot were everywere.

Now its all the bilbos with the dwarves lol
  • Options
    jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I see your character name and think of Jennifer Lopez....

I am amused by the variants on NotDrizzt, Drizzl, etc. LegoLass

Whatever makes people happy. You gotta remember that some of them are 12 years old.

Lol after years of MMO gaming, I decided just to use my RL nickname since voice comm gets confusing. Jon Lopez is my name. I was called Jaylo way before J.Lo made it her thang. Just saying :)
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jenisyde wrote: »
    Lol after years of MMO gaming, I decided just to use my RL nickname since voice comm gets confusing. Jon Lopez is my name. I was called Jaylo way before J.Lo made it her thang. Just saying :)

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that's where you got it from. It's just a silly thing.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    aronath123aronath123 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know that's how it is in real life, but guess what? It's a game. Other games (sorry to do this) like WoW don't allow people to have the same name. Sure they can have different variants, but a character's name is what is supposed to set him/her apart from other characters.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see duplicate names than spend an hour trying to find a name that isn't taken when I'm creating a new character. Also, as much as I think the name Drizzt is overused, I would rather see 100 Drizzts instead of "names" like Drizzt3497678 - it breaks the fantasy setting of the game more than a duplicate name does for me.

I don't mind characters named after famous fantasy figures, though I recognize they can cause copyright issues.

If I were the ruler of Neverwinter I would outlaw: :p

1. Characters named after foods.
    2. Characters with numbers in their names.
    3. Characters with mixed case letters (ChAdDiWiCkEr).
    4. Characters whose name starts with a lower case letter.
    5. Sexual and offensive names.
    6. Characters whose names are in all capital letters.
    7. Characters with non-grammatical symbols before, after or in their name (=*Chaddiwicker*=).

That's just my personal preference but, with the exception of sexual/offensive names, I recognize that people's choice of names in game may bring them joy so I try to let it go. ;)
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see duplicate names than spend an hour trying to find a name that isn't taken when I'm creating a new character. Also, as much as I think the name Drizzt is overused, I would rather see 100 Drizzts instead of "names" like rob3497678 - it breaks the fantasy setting of the game more than a duplicate name does for me.

This exactly. I love Cryptics name system. I wish more games copied it. I hate being denied some name because some player made it years ago, logged on once, and never played again.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To me Cryptic has by far the single best naming system in the Industry I think anyone who went through the name debacle in SWTOR will agree.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The reminds me, I used to see a different Luke Skywalker on every map I visited, but there don't appear to be any Luke Skywalkers left in Neverwinter.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree. The naming system is the best I've seen thus far and I don't know why it took the industry so long to produce it.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The reminds me, I used to see a different Luke Skywalker on every map I visited, but there don't appear to be any Luke Skywalkers left in Neverwinter.

Where do the names Marhand, Marroar, Oolasaadi, Frukul, Frukumal... etc. come from? I see these constantly but Google is no help because it just shows me stuff like WoW character sheets. And if WoW didn't allow name duplication, I can't blame it on a random name generator.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    srazy wrote: »
    LOL OP

You shoulda seen this game when it was during open beta and launch, game of thrones was in full throttle, the aryas the starks and watnot were everywere.

hey now i have 2 characters named after that series.

Of course I didn't choose popular names from the HBO show instead I chose favorite characters from the Books so most people don't recognize them.

and april 6th get ready for it. Expect to see a few Red Viper's and Oberyn Martell's running around in game then. until like the 2nd or 3rd episode when they reveal that he likes to have sex with dudes.
  • Options
    zugzug3zugzug3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    srazy wrote: »
    LOL OP

I've lost count of all the halfling and dwarf Tyrion Lannisters I've seen waddling around.
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i saw three Legolas's run by me in Protector's Enclave. Yup, they were all HR's :)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    aronath123 wrote: »
    I know that's how it is in real life, but guess what? It's a game. Other games (sorry to do this) like WoW don't allow people to have the same name. Sure they can have different variants, but a character's name is what is supposed to set him/her apart from other characters.
    Other games don't allow duplicate names because the names are part of how their database system is set up, with the characters name being a unique identifier. NW requires your @handle to be unique as it's database system.
    Where do the names Marhand, Marroar, Oolasaadi, Frukul, Frukumal... etc. come from? I see these constantly but Google is no help because it just shows me stuff like WoW character sheets. And if WoW didn't allow name duplication, I can't blame it on a random name generator.
    As someone that was lazy creating my HR name, I can answer this one. Marhand is from the random name generator in the character creation screen. I believe it's a HOrc name that it generates.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh, the most obvious answer possible. Thanks.

I can recognize the human and tiefling RNameG ones instantly, but it hadn't really occurred to me that these were the equivalent for half-orcs.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This exactly. I love Cryptics name system. I wish more games copied it. I hate being denied some name because some player made it years ago, logged on once, and never played again.

This is why I love it on Cryptic's games too. I loathe trying and retrying and retrying and retrying and retrying and retrying and retrying and (monotonous, isn't it?) retrying and retrying different variations of a name because each variation has already been used.

And I refuse to do the "insert random numbers after the name" route...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2014

As mentioned above, those are in Neverwinter's random name generator. The generator in turn is based on the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guides. If you're curious about the generator lists, try the wiki's race pages, such as http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Half-Orc#Names
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are a few limitations that the game should implement:

1. No numbers in names.
    2. Limitations on uses of capital letters - like 2 per name when there's no space - so you could have McDonald but not McDoNaLd.
    3. No offensive names - curse words, racial slurs, etc.

Other than the above, there's no reason why I couldn't have a 'Dan' and you couldn't have a 'Dan' as well...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather see duplicate names than spend an hour trying to find a name that isn't taken when I'm creating a new character. Also, as much as I think the name Drizzt is overused, I would rather see 100 Drizzts instead of "names" like rob3497678 - it breaks the fantasy setting of the game more than a duplicate name does for me.
    This. I would rather people not be original at all, then see Drizzt; Drizzit; Dr1zzt; Drizt; XDrizztX; Drizzt123; -=-Drizzt-=-; etc etc.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    3. No offensive names - curse words, racial slurs, etc.

Is this not already implemented? I'm honestly not sure as I have turned off zone in my main chat window and don't look at peoples names as I run past them very often. Just seems like with the profane filter in the foundry etc I would have been surprised if this wasn't there already.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Is this not already implemented? I'm honestly not sure as I have turned off zone in my main chat window and don't look at peoples names as I run past them very often. Just seems like with the profane filter in the foundry etc I would have been surprised if this wasn't there already.

I suppose then it's a case of people substituting 1 or more letters to still spell out an offensive word...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I suppose then it's a case of people substituting 1 or more letters to still spell out an offensive word...
    Ah yeah that's a common problem. I know back when I played wow it definately did have a profane filter on names, and yet I reported so so many people for names that were racial slurs with a number or letter subbed in.
  • Options
    pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The problem is not the same name, the problem is people are not very original. They launch the drow race and a lot of "drizzt" appeared. Or maybe some players don t know about the name being able to repeat and when the game lets you create your guy you asume nobody else has it.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If it bothers you that much, just turn off player names. The only names I see while in game is those of my guildies if we happen to be in the same zone and instance.