test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who would win?

kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
edited January 2014 in Off Topic
I am sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but seriously. Who would win in a fight? Legolas vs. Drizzt?
My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
kuI2v8l.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Probably Drizzt, he could do more "magical" things.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bruce Banner. The fans of each made him angry so he pointed himself at the two of them and Hulked out. Both of those wimpy rangers were killed by the original user of unstoppable.
    edited January 2014
    Next up George Washington Vs Abraham Lincoln. I vote Lincoln, had longer reach.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As far as Mr. High Pants (as I call him) did annoy me through Baldur's Gate (which lead me to killing him... twice since he wanted to die again in Baldurs Gate II :P ) I still must admit Drizzt would have a good chance of winning.

Why such statement? Guy does not give up even after being shred to pieces by a summoned army of hobgoblins and 2 meter long sword. In fact: he comes back to brag about "how well he knows the nine hells".

With all due honesty: I can see Legolas killing him but surely not winning in a long run.

Killing Drizzt for a living - Angry Neko Elf ^^
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Drizzt would win, because even his creator(R.A.Salvatore) can't finish him off! What ever he throws at him in the books, the bugger just won't die!
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Godzilla. It wins them all. Closed thread.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is a no contest, although im no fan of Drizzt he would turn little old Legolas into a pin cushion with ease...
  • aussiedougaussiedoug Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Deadpool...
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Ok, fine. Wizard edition. Who would win - Elminster vs. Gandalf?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Drizzt would defeat Legolas. But Elric would defeat Drizzt.
    Gandalf would pretty much lose against any other wizard in fiction except maybe Rincewind. Did you read the *books*? Gandalf has basically 3 spells: flashlight, bic lighter, and smoke-ring.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    kreatyve wrote: »
    . . . Elminster, hands down. As awesome as the wizard is in Middle-Earth, Gandalf stands no chance against a learned wizard from the Forgotten Realms. Gandalf's limited abilities take preparation, timing, and well for lack of a better word, fate. Elminster could just fireball him in an instant, or do many other things to instantaneously destroy him.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kreatyve wrote: »

As my experience with Elminster is the other DnD mmo, I'm going Gandalf. All I've seen Elminster do is stare at the girl, then pop in after other people have done the work and take credit for everything. He's the sage you kick into the lava in the "Tired of Being the hero" foundry.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Ok, let's throw Dumbledore and Raistlin Majere into the match with Elminster and Gandalf. Who would win out of the 4 of them?
    kuI2v8l.png
  • itgetsalloveritgetsallover Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gandalf is essentially an immortal demi-god. So Gandalf.
    edited January 2014
    Gandalf is a "old" or English traditional style wizard; he has a few spells but nothing like those other wizards. Those others are more like contemporary flashy wizards. I don't even think you can compare them other than for the reason their both labeled wizards.

If I had to choose 1 to win in a high noon duel, it wouldn't be Gandalf. If I had to choose one to save the world, it would be Gandalf.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
    edited January 2014
    Gandalf is a "old" or English traditional style wizard; he has a few spells but nothing like those other wizards. Those others are more like contemporary flashy wizards. I don't even think you can compare them other than for the reason their both labeled wizards.

If I had to choose 1 to win in a high noon duel, it wouldn't be Gandalf. If I had to choose one to save the world, it would be Gandalf.

Eru Iluvatar (the creator of the Middle Earth universe) created the Ainur, of which there are the Valar (greater powers) and the Maiar (lesser deities). Gandalf is one of the Maiar. So in a wizard battle, I'm going to stick with the immortal god-like being.
    edited January 2014
    He just doesn't really have any super "magical" powers like the wizards created today. I mean Id count on him doing something deadly if it came down to it, like weve seen/read. But he only does it when absolutely last ditch ermgawd necessary and even when he used whatever power against the Balrog; he sort of died, but like you said they are pretty much immortal.

So Ill stick with my assertion in a 1on1 straight up pew pew lazer lazer battle. Gandalf would probably lose (though not die). But if I needed someone to save the world itd be Gandalf.

Post about Gandalfs powers or thought behind his "wizardy", its too long to paste. So here is link :)
    Gandalf

TL;DR - Gandalf may lose the battle, but he'd help tremendously to win the war.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
    edited January 2014
    He just doesn't really have any super "magical" powers like the wizards created today. I mean Id count on him doing something deadly if it came down to it, like weve seen/read. But he only does it when absolutely last ditch ermgawd necessary and even when he used whatever power against the Balrog; he sort of died, but like you said they are pretty much immortal.

So Ill stick with my assertion in a 1on1 straight up pew pew lazer lazer battle. Gandalf would probably lose (though not die). But if I needed someone to save the world itd be Gandalf.

Post about Gandalfs powers or thought behind his "wizardy", its too long to paste. So here is link :)
    Gandalf

TL;DR - Gandalf may lose the battle, but he'd help tremendously to win the war.

If you've read the books (and the Silmarillion), Gandalf does some gnarly stuff. He physically kills a Balrog (a corrupted Maiar). His presence inspires fear in mortals when he chooses. He drives the Nazgul away several times, including the Witch King of Angmar. Gandalf seems to do most of his awesome stuff "off stage", so it's kind of hard to tell exactly what his powers are, but it's safe to say they're pretty much limitless. Oh, he also helped Elrond wash away the Nazgul in the river.

But, yeah. Ultimately his "real power" is wisdom and knowledge. Tolkien was pretty vague about what kind of abilities people had in his works. It wasn't like, "Gandalf is a level 24 wizard who can cast Meteor Storm five times a day." So it's really hard to say exactly what he was capable. Besides an incredible amount of knowledge, foresight, and an affinity for fire-type spells or cantrips or whatever you want to call them.

I'm still going with Gandalf!

[Edit: The Ainur were also capable of taking any form they chose or even being completely invisible while they were among mortals, so there's also that. That's a pretty impressive ability.

And don't forget that Melkor (Sauron) is also one of the Ainur and you can see what kind of stuff he's capable of doing (raising the dead and what not), so it stands to reason that Gandalf would be capable of some of the same things, if he chose to do them.]

[Edit 2: If you're interested in Middle Earth nerdiness, you should read The Silmarillion if you haven't. It's pretty awesome.]
    edited January 2014
    Read it in 6th grade. But yah I own it. Good stuff.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas