test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does item transmutation really have to cost so much?

ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
It was acceptable when I was below 20. Keep a look all I have to do is just grind for 1000-3000 ADs. But then the price starts to triple like every ten levels after that, when your AD income pretty much stays the same.

It's for looks! It has zero impact on gameplay! If it was a 10-15% drain on your ADs from 1-60 that would be fine, since they take that amount in AH trades. It'll encourage more to do it in the process.

Now, I don't mind paying a hefty price for my purple weapon since I won't be using another weapon till 60, but having to upgrade armor every 4-6 levels and change their look will drain ADs faster than removing enchants intact every time drains gold.
Post edited by ghoulz66 on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, they already lowered the cost to transmute, so it was even higher before :)
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the fact they lowered the cost and its STILL too high is saying something.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    It was acceptable when I was below 20. Keep a look all I have to do is just grind for 1000-3000 ADs. But then the price starts to triple like every ten levels after that, when your AD income pretty much stays the same.

It's for looks! It has zero impact on gameplay! If it was a 10-15% drain on your ADs from 1-60 that would be fine, since they take that amount in AH trades. It'll encourage more to do it in the process.

Now, I don't mind paying a hefty price for my purple weapon since I won't be using another weapon till 60, but having to upgrade armor every 4-6 levels and change their look will drain ADs faster than removing enchants intact every time drains gold.

At cap it's 55k ad per item, just don't transmute, it's not worth it unless it's a free transmute.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Don't forget cosmetic items are one of the big revenue streams. There are many people who will spend that amount in order to achieve the look they want. I am not one of them, I have better stuff to spend my AD on, but it is their choice to spend the money on how their character looks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's something completely unnecessary, so i don't see why it would be cheap if the game has to make some revenue.
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The price is high because they can get away with it, just like anything else that's expensive. It being unnecessary isn't even a consideration.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I can't imagine transmuting my armor every time I swapped it out while leveling. You don't have it on long enough for it to really matter.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    I can't imagine transmuting my armor every time I swapped it out while leveling. You don't have it on long enough for it to really matter.

in endgame u accualy use 1-2 sets max. Meybe 3 depends on class and situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    55k isn't really that much considering a single BIS T2 gear item can go for 150k-1.5million AD.

It's only ~two days of dallies.

That aside, I've never transmuted armor before hitting at least T1 gear. Not worth it at all.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    fauust01 wrote: »
    in endgame u accualy use 1-2 sets max. Meybe 3 depends on class and situations.

I'm well aware, and I've transmuted my most used set for my GF and will do so for my CW as soon as I find a look I like, but I was responding to the last paragraph from the OP, where he remarks that he swaps out armor every 4-6 levels and constantly transmuting is getting expensive.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    55k isn't really that much considering a single BIS T2 gear item can go for 150k-1.5million AD.

It's only ~two days of dallies.

That aside, I've never transmuted armor before hitting at least T1 gear. Not worth it at all.

It's a principle of it thing. I can afford it. But it's so high I can't see myself ever bothering.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I transmuted the Mulhorand cloaks I got for my levelling characters. Ok, two of them were the free scarves, but I paid for one, on the principle that it would actually last, and the cloak uses about the ugliest neck visual in the game (disable also works, but why not look cool?).

I'd have paid to transmute Mulhorand daggers too, except they already have my favorite dagger appearance to date.

When my GF hit 60, I had cheap AH gear prepared for him, but that Armor of Insanity is atrocious. I also had an Impenetrable Bastion armor left from the Tymora event (free appearance change), so problem solved. I could actually stand to look at him until he collected his full KC set.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It's something completely unnecessary, so i don't see why it would be cheap if the game has to make some revenue.

Well they aren't making revenue in the first place if no one is even using it because of the ludicrous prices....

Make it dirt cheap so that a truckload of people who like playing dress up keep doing it and that little trickle of revenue turns into Fort Knox over time.

The price should only skyrocket once you reach 60.

I'm sure less people would be buying twinkies if they jumped to $20 per box and then they end up losing money in the process.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    I'm well aware, and I've transmuted my most used set for my GF and will do so for my CW as soon as I find a look I like, but I was responding to the last paragraph from the OP, where he remarks that he swaps out armor every 4-6 levels and constantly transmuting is getting expensive.

check this out, u might find something usefull here

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?310142-Show-me-ur-Guardian-Fighters-!-%28-SS-%29/page29

29 pages of GF apperences

and here for CW;s

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?218331-Show-your-Control-Wizard-%28Screenshots%29
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I bet transmutes would more than double if they lower price by 50%.
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have probably spent 200k AD so far transmuting the fools crown of neverwinter onto the next piece of gear I get. The transmute cost is high and now, with the new refining system, its hard to justify. For the cost of 2 blue marks and a green ward I can either make a rank 7 enchant or keep my the look I love for my character. At least the cost of transmute could be lowered by how much the salvage value of the item is. So when I get my Avatar of War helm and want to transmute the fools crown of neverwinter (that is currently transmuted on my GG helm) it should at least reduce the cost by what I could salvage that helm for.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    edited January 2014
    it would be coll if they introduce kinda "skin" system, u destroy the item but u get skin that u can use anytime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    it would be coll if they introduce kinda "skin" system, u destroy the item but u get skin that u can use anytime.

I would pay 3x current transmutation price to be able to use an item I used for transmutation anytime after for free.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The devs should sell "free transmute" tokens in the Zen store - when you go to transmute an item that isn't already free, you see the AD cost, and, (if you have a token in your inventory), have a checkbox to 'use free transmute token'. They should be reasonably priced - like maybe 10 or so for 100 Zen.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    rafa2306rafa2306 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2014
    It's very expensive imo.

it ends up being 250k+ to fully transmute a set including neck.
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited January 2014
    Don't forget cosmetic items are one of the big revenue streams. There are many people who will spend that amount in order to achieve the look they want. I am not one of them, I have better stuff to spend my AD on, but it is their choice to spend the money on how their character looks.

But you are not getting a cosmetic item. In other games you get a unique item for your cost, in this game you are just trying to maintain a specific look with a common piece of equipment. The pricing is ridiculous. You get 2k AD for running a dungeon during a DD (none for other times), yet a transmutation on a single piece of equipment is over 50K. It is ridiculous. If they want to sell cosmetic items, fine, but it is pathetic for them to charge those types of prices to make one common item look like another common item.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Yeah... check out post #238

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?310142-Show-me-ur-Guardian-Fighters-!-(-SS-)&p=6769051&viewfull=1#post6769051

That's my GF there. Still haven't found one for the CW that I like enough to pay to change though.
  • Options
    wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    There's just so many other things I want to spend my diamonds on. I can't justify the outrageous cost to change appearance. I'd rather be Wizard the Clown then spend 50k diamonds. 50k diamonds is 2 marks of potency, or 3-7 pieces of epic gear from the AH or 150 zen or 1/2 payment for a rank 7 enchant or 99 lesser marks or 1/6th of a companion upgrade. I don't even make 50k diamonds in a typical day. Change appearance should cost gold.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    . . . I learned my lesson on my first character, to not transmute or dye things with Zen dyes until after hitting level 60 and getting my set gear. During the leveling of my first character, I spent around or over a million AD keeping my appearance very similar through out all the many equipment upgrades. What this leads me to believe is that maintaining appearance to please a player is very expensive for new players and characters, yet not so much for established players with money-making alts.