test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's again time to play "How's that profane?" with the new profanity filter!

2»

Comments

• Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jfinderdev wrote: »
    That is up to you. We will update the profanity filter and publish all the quests that failed due to profanity filter during the next non-emergency patch. If you do not want to wait, you can work around it in your quests and click "publish" yourself.

I'm guessing, is tomorrow (12/10/2013) the next non-emergency patch?

If not, when will it be?
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    They stated openly before that the Foundry authors and players will not be charged at any point because it drives authors away.

Ya, they are doing a mighty fine job of driving Authors away already with their lack of attention to the Foundry, crappy integration into the main gameplay and just general feeling amongst the Authors that they just plain don't care all that much about supporting the Foundry outside of using it as a selling point.

The Foundry forums used to be hopping. Now...its a near ghost town.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ya, they are doing a mighty fine job of driving Authors away already with their lack of attention to the Foundry, crappy integration into the main gameplay and just general feeling amongst the Authors that they just plain don't care all that much about supporting the Foundry outside of using it as a selling point.

The Foundry forums used to be hopping. Now...its a near ghost town.

Is that the fault of the devs, or the fault of authors so concerned about getting plays for their own quests that they ignore threads asking for help or advertising other quests?
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Is that the fault of the devs, or the fault of authors so concerned about getting plays for their own quests that they ignore threads asking for help or advertising other quests?

It's the fault of the Devs... Unless they have fixed the bugs in the listings of foundry quests. Just my opinion tho. And look at the profanity filter debacle. This is the second time it has happened. And if you believe Ambisinisterr about 900k Being black listed because of one movie??? That is just crazy.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    And if you believe Ambisinisterr about 900k Being black listed because of one movie??? That is just crazy.

It is not filtered because of the movie, it is filtered because it is a racial slur.
    The movie just happens to use it several times per scene on average.

It may not be a racial slur you are familiar with but it is still a racial slur.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I cant find 900k defined anywhere, even urban dictionary. I also lived in South Korea for several years and never heard it.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I cant find 900k defined anywhere, even urban dictionary. I also lived in South Korea for several years and never heard it.

Was about to say the same. I'm not buying into it. Not having heard of it is one thing, not being able to find even one reference is another.
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Imagine that the numbers kind of look like letters. Maybe it starts with a lowercase G.
    It's a real thing, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kithlis wrote: »
    Imagine that the numbers kind of look like letters. Maybe it starts with a lowercase G.
    It's a real thing, unfortunately.

lol! OK, I'm with you. It kind of changes the whole word though. May as well ban everything. Book... now swap the k for a b hehe! I still don't buy that it is supposed to be a band word.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    So when is the number 5318008 getting banned, or is it already?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Please, someone, answer me, when is the next non-emergency patch?

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Patches are normally thursday.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Accortding to patchnotes it should be fixed now, let's see what happens when servers are up again :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    New words in profane filter after the patch, spanish language:
    • ni que (that means "as if" in english)
    • debiles (that means "weak"/"they are weak" in english)

I was able to change this words, and re-publish the campaign, but will be difficult to change "debiles" for other words in some phrases and context.

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps the profanity filter should be desensitized to profanities in OTHER languages rather than the localized or configured language?!? "ni que" is profane in FRENCH not Spanish.
    *facepalm*
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    they keep on adding new random profane words? that makes no sense :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Perhaps the profanity filter should be desensitized to profanities in OTHER languages rather than the localized or configured language?!? "ni que" is profane in FRENCH not Spanish.
    *facepalm*

I guess if we can set the foundry in spanish language, there will not be this issues. But we have the predefined configured language that is English.

I don't need/want the game to be translated to spanish, but perhaps will be a good idea to have the option "to flag" the quest as spanish, so we don't bother english users that only seeks english quests.

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I guess if we can set the foundry in spanish language, there will not be this issues. But we have the predefined configured language that is English.

I don't need/want the game to be translated to spanish, but perhaps will be a good idea to have the option "to flag" the quest as spanish, so we don't bother english users that only seeks english quests.

Yes - right in the Quest tab when creating/editing a quest there is a dropdown to set the language.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yes, but there are only the languages that are already translated in the game.

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The profanity filter is really really really stupid.
    I can say profane things without using bad words. I can say good things while using (some) bad words.

There's a report function for a reason -- there is no need for an automatic filter, and an automatic filter that includes many words with a normal usage is just... well, stupid.

It seems to me that Foundry doesn't have clear 'ownership' within Cryptic, which doesn't bode well for it ever righting itself. sigh
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    It is not filtered because of the movie, it is filtered because it is a racial slur.
    The movie just happens to use it several times per scene on average.

It may not be a racial slur you are familiar with but it is still a racial slur.

Sorry, but I don't get on these forums very often...

But can you please tell me where you get the info that 900k is a racial slur. I can find nothing anywhere about this.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, but I don't get on these forums very often...

But can you please tell me where you get the info that 900k is a racial slur. I can find nothing anywhere about this.

That's what I said, but apparently it can be read as another word that starts with a g instead of a nine.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    They should just automatically filter out any words that contain digits. l33t5p34k doesn't belong.
  • Options
    sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    I went back in to update a quest today, and there's something profane in a dialogue that was perfectly fine before. I haven't found the word yet and will rewrite the whole thing, I guess.

"Listen, you imbecile, everyone knows that Heroganthus read the incantation backwards and blamed the resulting debacle on his servant! You obviously didn't study the Enchiridion closely enough. I suggest a more thorough reading - we carry a translation in the shop."

It's not "imbecile" or "debacle." I changed "we carry it in the shop" to get rid of the ridiculous t word, but that didn't help.

Could it be "backwards????" Nope... still looking.

It's not "servant." *sigh*

Aha! It was "imbecile!" The first time I deleted the word, the warning didn't go away. I could not use the word "cretin" in its place. This is just bizarre. Perhaps "numbskull" will work...
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Numbskull!!? I resemble that remark!

<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> should be allowed!! Everything poops. And when you potty train your toddler, you call it poopy! Or poo... And what is the best weapon against princesses?! Poo on a stick! Witches hate it, trolls are distracted by it, Gnolls and orcs will taste it... 1001 uses.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's a good argument there for Foundry filtering and chat filtering to be separate. Fine, block people from calling each other imbeciles in game-chat, whatever. Stifling character-appropriate dialogue as a result? Not so good.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    casmelakcasmelak Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I tried to use the word 'prick'. As in, "with which to prick your finger". No dice. Prick is certainly used, in some contexts, as a derogatory remark. But it's no where near a racial slur, and is not even close to profane. That's like filtering dongle (not that it's likely to be used) because it sounds funny.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i know the initial reason for this thread has been fixed, however the continued discussion of filtered words in the foundry on the open forums is definitely questionable.

if a word that you don't think should be filtered in the foundry IS, please submit an in-game bug report.

this thread is closed.
This discussion has been closed.