What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope the next one is the warlock, I know many people who are waiting for Neverwinter to have it to come play here.
    After that i hope we get another healer, maybe a druid? I'm no expert in DnD classes but I guess a druid can be a healer, right?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I hope the next one is the warlock, I know many people who are waiting for Neverwinter to have it to come play here.
    After that i hope we get another healer, maybe a druid? I'm no expert in DnD classes but I guess a druid can be a healer, right?

In 4th edition, druids are controllers not leaders. They do have some healing but it takes a backseat to controlling.
  • Options
    sturussturus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well I started the game at the start. Guardian here but the to few class hurt it for me. If they make a Paladin I will come back. So I still play my Paladin in DDO. Wishing the Paladin would come to NW. Have no idea why it was not here from the start.
  • Options
    khalith01khalith01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    Posting this again to make sure people see it, from the mouth of the game's producer himself, please read this before you speculate further:

Here you go.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5028776/neverwinters-next-expansion-adds-hunter-class-paragon-paths-and-more
    "I can imagine the Druid will probably be, if not the next one that we start next, it will probably be soon, because just about everyone when they say, 'What about new classes, like the Ranger or Druid?' Those are the two they always talk about."
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Please note, that he indicated that it will be the next one that they START. Not the next one that would be released. The implication here is that Warlock is still in progress and will finish before they START Druid.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    My 'wish list' class would be a Barbarian, a real striker, primal user class, with lots of group buffs, possible limited shapeshifting and lots of bonuses for killing things.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Please note, that he indicated that it will be the next one that they START. Not the next one that would be released. The implication here is that Warlock is still in progress and will finish before they START Druid.

They covered this in a video interview, I believe. That one was the closest to competition, and the other one was 40% complete or something like that.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    They covered this in a video interview, I believe. That one was the closest to competition, and the other one was 40% complete or something like that.

The interview was before the Ranger release, before they even officially announced the class. My take on it, was that Ranger was the one close to completion. Warlock was the one 40% finished. Based on the belief that I feel Warlock was supost to be released with Shadowmantle. With the Ranger released with Feywild, however it got pushed back. The fact that Mako is using warlock powers and implements supports this belief.

If you take the interview at face value. It would imply that once the one 40% complete is finished then Druid would Start. If you have yet to start something, that would imply 0% complete.
  • Options
    sunglo87sunglo87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want a vampire class! ok a warlock with some life draining spells will suffice....
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The interview was before the Ranger release, before they even officially announced the class. My take on it, was that Ranger was the one close to completion. Warlock was the one 40% finished. Based on the belief that I feel Warlock was supost to be released with Shadowmantle. With the Ranger released with Feywild, however it got pushed back. The fact that Mako is using warlock powers and implements supports this belief.

If you take the interview at face value. It would imply that once the one 40% complete is finished then Druid would Start. If you have yet to start something, that would imply 0% complete.

This is what I believe as well. Warlock next, then Druid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The next class(s) I'd like to see in the game are the Paladin, and the Warlock. Paladin must have the ability to "smite" for extra damage, and the Warlock must have the ability to cast cool spells, and summon monsters!

Just my two cents..!!
  • Options
    devilinitydevilinity Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11
    edited December 2013
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    The next class(s) I'd like to see in the game are the Paladin, and the Warlock. Paladin must have the ability to "smite" for extra damage, and the Warlock must have the ability to cast cool spells, and summon monsters!

Just my two cents..!!

Its not that extremely different from the current classes?
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    uglyduck1 wrote: »

Just my two cents..!!

Summoning monsters isn't really part of the warlock's powers in 4th edition D&D (unless for some reason they go with the Hexblade version from Essentials).

Likely what we will see is cursing as a tab ability that will allow for extra effects on the cursed enemy when encounter powers are used.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just imagine a Warlord with Commander's Strike and Direct The Strike at-will ability...

warlord attack 1

Direct the strike
    at-will power

Target: one ally

Effect: "The target makes a basic attack as a free action against an enemy of your choice that you can see and is within 10 squares of you."

Commander's strike
    at-will power

Target: one ally

Effect: "One of your allies can take a free action to make a melee basic attack against the target. The ally gains a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Intelligence modifier."

... Hold left click on a Control Wizard and they are suddenly doubling their Magic Missile attack speed
    ... Hold right click on a Great Weapon Fighter and they are suddenly doubling their swing attacks.

(...of course additional aggro would be channeled to the Warlord)
    :cool:
  • Options
    kap273kap273 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd like to see paladin brought in. They could change things up a bit by making one paragon be a tank build and the other paragon being a healer build. This would help the tank/healer shortage, but it's also exactly like another MMO that's out there. Then again, I guess druid would be doing about the same thing.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The difficulty is balance, and most importantly (or annoyingly, depending on your preference) is PvP balance.

There are already hundreds of different spells/powers/attacks in game by all the varying monsters, so the mechanics of creating a character and animating aren't that difficult ... The problem is firstly creating a class that is sufficiently different to the others already available "Hey look my Wizard throws White Fire stuff <-> Hey look my Warlock throws Black Fire stuff ... Erm, it's the same stuff ... booo Cryptic ..."

But mostly it's balancing the different powers/feats in the PvP arena ... The gazillion threads across this whole board about this class or that class needing a nerf/buff against this class or that class in PvP, is testament to how hard it is to come up with new classes and not only make it unique enough for people to want to roll a new toon (and spend the $$$ to outfit it, that's the REAL important bit) but also making it useful/functional for PvE + PvP + Dungeons ... As we've seen with the HR, that's not easy ...

I would like to see another spellcaster in game, whether it's a Warlock or Druid is irrelevant ... Also, even though I have always played a "Paladin" role in DnD, I'm not sure that the game really "needs" another tank class ... It might be nice to have a light sword (rapier anyone?) and/or dual wielding class ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    The difficulty is balance, and most importantly (or annoyingly, depending on your preference) is PvP balance.

There are already hundreds of different spells/powers/attacks in game by all the varying monsters, so the mechanics of creating a character and animating aren't that difficult ... The problem is firstly creating a class that is sufficiently different to the others already available "Hey look my Wizard throws White Fire stuff <-> Hey look my Warlock throws Black Fire stuff ... Erm, it's the same stuff ... booo Cryptic ..."

But mostly it's balancing the different powers/feats in the PvP arena ... The gazillion threads across this whole board about this class or that class needing a nerf/buff against this class or that class in PvP, is testament to how hard it is to come up with new classes and not only make it unique enough for people to want to roll a new toon (and spend the $$$ to outfit it, that's the REAL important bit) but also making it useful/functional for PvE + PvP + Dungeons ... As we've seen with the HR, that's not easy ...

I would like to see another spellcaster in game, whether it's a Warlock or Druid is irrelevant ... Also, even though I have always played a "Paladin" role in DnD, I'm not sure that the game really "needs" another tank class ... It might be nice to have a light sword (rapier anyone?) and/or dual wielding class ...

You know what's beautiful about this argument? The fact that I've seen it before on the WotC forum when 4E was still new. Oh, the outcry from all of the Fighters demanding to know what's the point of their very existence due to the Paladin's being able to "Tank better". Then the Swordmage came out. And then the Warden, and the Battlemind, and any other Defender (see Tank) I may be forgetting.

Am I casting holes into your argument in regards to the Paladin class coming out? No, because while each one of these Defenders, on the whole, look and even seem like they should play the same. They do not. Each one of them has different powers and abilities that let them continue to preform their respected tasks. So, let's say the Paladin comes out later on down the road, will that kill anyones desire to play the Fighter again? Eh, about as much as the Warden, Swordmage and Battlemind* will kill anyone ever wanting to roll a Paladin again.

And really, if we can have different Strikers (Rogues, Rangers, Warlocks), then why not multiple Defenders? Although, in all honesty, releasing two Strikers back to back seems to me to be kinda a dumb move... I'd have done one from each subgroup and just worked my way down the line.

*And that's assuming we ever see any of the Psionic classes, though there is a outcry for Monk.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    couatl13 wrote: »
    You know what's beautiful about this argument?<snip>.[/I]

I totally agree, as someone who has been playing DnD from back when it WAS only the PnP version, I'm totally aware that there is a vast amount of subtlety in each and every class/sub-class and using full DnD rules (even the 4E ones) it would be easy to add a Paladin class ... And I for one would walk/fly to Cryptic's HQ and buy them all a beer if they added a Paladin to NMO ...

But I'm also a realist, and I understand that the player base as a whole, would probably balk at what some would consider "just another tank class" ... The only other "tank" class I'd probably like to see, is a true barbarian/Berserker class, but that probably isn't on the "list" any more than the Paladin is ... (BTW I'm only using the word tank as generalization)

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I totally agree, as someone who has been playing DnD from back when it WAS only the PnP version, I'm totally aware that there is a vast amount of subtlety in each and every class/sub-class and using full DnD rules (even the 4E ones) it would be easy to add a Paladin class ... And I for one would walk/fly to Cryptic's HQ and buy them all a beer if they added a Paladin to NMO ...

But I'm also a realist, and I understand that the player base as a whole, would probably balk at what some would consider "just another tank class" ... The only other "tank" class I'd probably like to see, is a true barbarian/Berserker class, but that probably isn't on the "list" any more than the Paladin is ... (BTW I'm only using the word tank as generalization)

But by that token, we might as well have left it just Fighters, Wizards, Rogues and Clerics.

Note, I love the Barbarian class. I love the great Barbarian Kings. That mighty Barbarian warrior who can and will dive headlong into insane odds and come out the other end laughing and drinking. And then there's the legendary Berserkers. EVERYONE loves a Barbarian and Berserker! So, yes, ideally, further down the line, we should see the Barbarian class.

Though oddly enough, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Swordmage before the Paladin. Because everyone loves a gish class.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    couatl13 wrote: »
    But by that token, we might as well have left it just Fighters, Wizards, Rogues and Clerics.<snip>

Sadly, that's the problem with trying to make a class, with gear, specs, feats and powers, suitable for PvE AND PvP AND 5 player Dungeons ...

(And this will probably generate a whole heap of flames I know but) ... It just doesn't and can't work to the fullest extent ... We have in game already ... CW's + DC's, we have GF's + GWF's and we now have TR's + HR's ... They've already decided to 'share' paragon paths with 2 of the classes, and their are many similarities between the other pairs, and whether people want to believe it or not, the parity is caused by trying to balance PvP and Dungeons.

I am confident that Cryptic will come up with something unique, as I believe that mostly the Devs DO care about the game, about DnD and about what we, as players, would like to see (and no I am not just brown nosing) But I can see that it is going to be difficult and, as we've already seen with the HR, their WILL be growing pains for any new class ...
    ... Oohhh ... The Beserker Rage of a full blood Orc Barbarian, charging into the middle of a mob, swinging the biggest Halberd you've ever beheld, with a Bloodlust in his eyes that's just frightening ... Hmmm, I'm getting emotional ...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    ... Oohhh ... The Beserker Rage of a full blood Orc Barbarian, charging into the middle of a mob, swinging the biggest Halberd you've ever beheld, with a Bloodlust in his eyes that's just frightening ... Hmmm, I'm getting emotional ...

I like Rashemen Berserkers. Those men are feared for a reason. First met them in the series Starlight and Shadows[/] thanks to Elaine Cunningham.

But as to growing pains, there always has and always will be growing pains when it comes to any massively multiplayer game. Regardless if it's a MMO or even PnP. It's just the nature of the beast. But I am with you in hoping that the Devs will be able to give us something that will make "Everyone" happy.

And really, I'm kinda looking forward to the day when all of us can que up for a dungeon and find ourselves slapped together into this sort of surreal almost bizarre team/class make up. Just see classes that look like they just should not work together and due. And if they do, then that means two things. One, the devs ddid the classes right; and two, the players behind their respected toons know what they are doing.

So, again, I'm kinda looking forward to stuff like that. It sort of fills the void that City of Heroes left... :(
  • Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know a lot of people say the next class is a Druid, does that mean we're going to have another "healer" class? As a DC I hope so, I'm one of those DC's that like to play a damage build and, while I don't mind being a healbot, I get tired of having to /ignore people screaming about astral shields in PvP as if that will suddenly make us win(hint, it doesn't when everyone keeps going in 1v4, 2v4 etc).

I know what I got into when I rolled a DC, we have pretty much the only group heals, and our damage isn't going to be as high as others but I like the flavor of the DPS DC.

With that said, I would actually prefer they just focus on making healers/tanks etc not really a thing here(they already kind of have) so this game stops having identity issues. It has "holy trinity" properties, but at the same time they design dungeons etc that don't need that so you end up with skills etc being worthless.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Need a Paladin. Heals AND Tank.

More to the point of your post: Dungeons and Dragons 4e did something that a lot of players disagreed with: they took away the NEED for certain classes by giving similar powers to so many others. Every class was good at three out of the four roles (defender, striker, leader, controller) with the proper specialization.

This, in my mind, is the power and interest of the game. Or will be, after about a half dozen more classes. We got damage GWF's, tanky GWF's, and controller GWF's.

Of course, I come from the era of MMO's where there were thousands of options. SWG, UO, EvE, etc.

Lots of players become too overwhelmed if they can't easily and simply typecast everything. We had five classes, which was perfect for five-man parties. But when the HR was added, their simple minds got all confused. Even before, they were upset. They couldn't understand what the GWF was for. Control, leadership (heals), Tanking and Damage were all taken care of.

So I support more classes and more individual freedom. More classes crossing over into other territories. Maybe Druid will be a melee healer controller class. That would be fun.

Beat people up with a Sha-lah-lah. I wanna be a Doo-dad.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    In 4th edition, druids are controllers with some ability to heal. Healing is not their primary function.
  • Options
    ravenlock99ravenlock99 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One main healing class is enough. People say we need more healers, but adding another healer class won't really help. People who want to play healers are already playing healers. If you release another healer, DC's will switch to that or just stay a DC. People who like playing melee and caster will stick with that role. It's not like adding another healer will magically want people to play that role. It's already available now.

One main Tank class is enough along with one main healer class. All they need to keep adding at this point are new DPS classes, and perhaps another pure control/buff class.
  • Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One main healing class is enough. People say we need more healers, but adding another healer class won't really help. People who want to play healers are already playing healers. If you release another healer, DC's will switch to that or just stay a DC. People who like playing melee and caster will stick with that role. It's not like adding another healer will magically want people to play that role. It's already available now.

One main Tank class is enough along with one main healer class. All they need to keep adding at this point are new DPS classes, and perhaps another pure control/buff class.

I don't want another class that's capable of healing because there aren't enough healers. I want another class that heals so people get off my back about only playing as a healer just because I have some healing skills.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited December 2013

By this logic there need only ever be 4 classes, a tank, a healer, a range dps and melee dps.

What the point of adding in new DPS classes? The people who like to play DPS are already playing DPS.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013

You could use the exact same logic to argue that we don't need new dps classes because the striker role exists already.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's one thing that worries me about any new classes, so far every class has had it's own unique weapon and armor type. So far they've managed to make it so everyone uses different thing but they're going to run out of armor and weapon types soon. When that happens will we (for example) see GF only platemail and longswords and Paladin or Warlord only platemail and longswords as seperate drops?
  • Options
    ravenlock99ravenlock99 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't agree for the plain fact that a group only needs one healer and one tank. The rest of the group should be a mix of different DPS, buffing, control type classes. You need a variety of those classes as some people like playing range dps, melee dps, or caster DPS. Some people like to buff or control. There is a big variety of things you can do there.

You can add variety to the DC and GF classes to spice them up, but you don't need another healer or tank.
This discussion has been closed.