test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Overall I find Swordcoast Adventures not bad, has some strategic depth, you can mix your party and leverage their strength. Also good: You can reset your invoking timer once you aren't able to log into your client to invoke there. As a casual game not bad, I also like the different maps, they are random, also the encounters.

Only thing that bugs me is that you need epic companions for high-level adventures, blues and greens can't do the job. But that's how they make money if people then buy new companions, so it is ok.

Suggestions for improvements:

- Now that you can level your companions there you should also be able to send them on training from Gateway.
- I think a 5 companion group would be better: 1. You play with 5 people in NW also and 2. it is sometimes tricky to mix the right companions for the right tasks.
Post edited by yokihiro on

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd say the rewards are pretty weak. I'm better off farming in game.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • sternerrsternerr Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Mechanically interesting, but since neither seals or companions are BOA, I won't bother. I'm not dropping 80 bucks each time I want to level an alt.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is interesting, quite fun. Good design overall.

But I need 4 epic, leveled companions to tackle the real deal... for what?

A blue companion I will need to upgrade.

No thanks Cryptic!
  • shumanfooshumanfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find it a fun mini-game to pass the time. Seems to play like the board game Elder Sign. The rewards are pretty low however. Even the top tier adventures don't have much I want and I couldn't run them if I there was something remotely valuable.
  • halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Yea, and the XP gain is very very slow... And I'd have to pay to upgrade my companion to make them useful in anything past T5
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    2 Purple 2 Blue (with very different stats to manage all challenges and at max level for their rarity) aren't enough to beat a T6. I get to maybe 1 or 2 challenge of the second level and that's it, and that's with a lot of dice luck already.

Seems like to get the blue Lightfoot Thief you need 4 Purples.

Rewards for dungeons other than T6 are not really worth the time or effort for anyone who is level 60 (and anyone who has pets leveled to beat T3-T6 will already be 60)
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    It is interesting, quite fun. Good design overall.

But I need 4 epic, leveled companions to tackle the real deal... for what?

A blue companion I will need to upgrade.

No thanks Cryptic!

Yeah I liked the free dog for doing the tutorial but I dislike the whole need four epic quality pets to have any hope of getting the Lightfoot Thief ( and I'm assuming other different exclusive companions in future ) you guys need to make companion upgrading cheaper in game if you intend on the companion rewards being a permanent fixture in the SCA , especially if you want level 60 players to have an actual interest in it and not have it as a passing fad.
  • glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited December 2013
    I just won a companion from SCA, I see it in my collections but I cannot make use of it. Any one know what to do with it?
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It works like any other companion. Click on it in your inventory, give it a name and it will go into a companion slot (unless both your active and inactive slots are full).
  • glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited December 2013
    Oh man, derped that right up, was looking in my companion page not my item inventory. Thanks.
  • mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    yeah the new companion is pretty sweet, nice attacks.
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've only attempted the T6 dungeon once and I was pretty sure a single purple pet wasn't enough, but I'll attempt it a few more times, because I'm not going to have 4 purple pets on all my chars just for this.

Otherwise, I think after getting the pets, I have no other reason to play it...excluding the temporary winter dungeon.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Seems like to get the blue Lightfoot Thief you need 4 Purples.

Not just 4 purples, four maxed out purples. And even then you can easily be hosed.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Prizes are just rubbish. There was an opportunity to do something interesting (reagents would have been popular) but they've made a nice novelty item that won't hold anyone's interest other than completionists who want all the companions who, ironically, would have just bought the blue thief from the shop. No one else can even finish the T6 except a few people with 4 purples, and what do they want with a blue striker?

Would have been a good idea to have rewards in lower level dungeons that could be used in higher ones, like one-off use extra dice, or extra hit point potion. These wouldn't effect the real game so could be handed out without worry of unbalancing actual gameplay in NW. So many possibilities, such a disappointment.

I can't see me playing much (I have one purple, two blues, and a green) other than for special events like the Winter one. Otherwise no point to it.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i think sword coast adventures is awesome as a free little dice game that ties into my characters and companions... i can run low level quests to level up my lowbies or pick up winter event items by doing the event quest... it's great for when you can't log into the game or if you just want to take a little game break. it's well developed and the sounds are awesome! i have nothing but praise for it.

also i have seen reagents and refinement stones drop in SCA. overall, definitely well done.
  • kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
    edited December 2013
    I didnt know what SCA was when I first heard of it, no one in my guild did either but today I got to play around with it quite a bit and thought I would do a first impressions critique of the system. For those that dont know SCA is basicly a single player board game played through the gateway. It takes your characters companions, sends them to various dungeons to play out a board game-esque dungeon crawl.

Throughout the dungeon the party (consisting of 4 of your companions chosen by you) must overcome challenges. This is basicly the dice rolling component where each die will come up as a certain symbol and you have to match a symbol on a die to the symbol on the challenge. When you've matched enough the event is conquered. However each roll you have to discard or use one die, so if you dont get a necessary result you must sacrifice one of those dies, slowly reducing your chance to succeed. Sometimes thats not a big deal, sometimes its a huge deal. This is where my first bit of criticism comes. If you look at Elder sign: Omens (a very similar board game on PC and phones) many of the characters have special abilities to adjust the outcome, making getting screwed by the dice far less of an issue. I think the system needs unique abilities like "Man at arms adds 1 to any shield dice roll" or "Wizard can convert 1 shield symbol to a magic symbol". This would add far more strategy to the game

Another point of criticism I have is how badly the starting companions suck. I actually collect companions so many of mine are leveled up and I have a huge selection of them. Still I only do it on one character because there just arent enough hours in the day to get all the companions on all my characters. Green companions like my pig and Skeleton warrior are vastly superior to the cleric, man at arms, dog, etc. My Psuedodragon is even better, hes arguably better then all of the starting companions combined. So once again it feels very pay to win to me. If you want us to spend AD to upgrade companions you need to lower the price to something reasonable. 300,000 for an upgrade to green is the same cost as a T2 piece of gear. Then theres the 500k and 750k upgrades to go all the way to 30. At that cost we could convert our AD to zen, buy a purple companion from the store, and still have AD left over

My third piece of criticism is the rewards are pretty bad when compared with the difficulty. I collect companions and Ive yet to complete the teir 4 dungeon. I couldnt get past the second encounter in the Teir 6 one. Rewards need to be scaled up significantly to make it feel like its worth doing SCA

I like the idea behind SCA but there are just a couple of issues that keep it from being on par with great board games like Elder sign or shadows over camelot
  • deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Come on Keys!!!
    Come on Shields!!!
    Come on Bright eyes!!!
    Come on Spirit Spiral from Soul Reaver!!!
    kain__s_spiral_by_randolfo-d470wll.jpg

To comment on your OP. The cost of upgrading companions is unreasonable. I have been playing SCA and have come to notice that I will likely not be able to do the epic adventures with the companions I have on my ranger. With only one purple companion I will not have the ranks to complete it. It is sad, I love SCA and I am having fun with it but I am unwilling to spend hundreds of dollars exchanging zen to upgrade my critters. I will continue to play until I lose interest but the cost of upgrading really puts a damper in this new gateway game.
    10PM CST

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    merged two SCA feedback threads
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I haven't tried it much yet, but so far I'd agree. The companions are nice for collectors (which includes me) but outside of that, the rewards I've seen aren't worth the bother. But, while I really enjoy the Gateway for the profession tasks, browser mini-games aren't really my thing so I'm not totally objective. That said, they probably are nice little bits sometimes for new players/new characters.
  • cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think it's a nice little distraction. If they made this a mobile game, I'd be hooked!
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Someone said that Lightfoot thief is a random drop in tier 6. So far I did it countless times already and never found him.
    Is it drop from the boss or from the other random encounter?

As for the loot from it. I find 3 green marks of power kind of worthy :P
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So this is why every other person I see right now is running around town and dungeons with rust monsters.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All I have to say is that it was a million times better when it was on Preview and I was pretty excited for it to go live.
    The Shepherd is nice, but beyond that I don't think I will bother with it.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • marcioohmarciooh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited December 2013
    So far I call it a big fail! I do not care to motivate to much, but basically rewards suck, with 2 purple, 1 blue, 1 green you cant even do te epic first 1 or 2 missions.

So I did it a bit, but no more for me, I rather spend my time in game and when at work I rather work than play this stupid stuff :p
    "Every online game requires more to give than it offers or it's not worth actually playing. Even though we all know this we still decide to play anyway."

:cool:
  • kaiuscormerekaiuscormere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I like it a lot. I enjoy turn based strategy games such as Magic The Gathering, and XCOM. I don't know what portion of the larger MMO audience shares this taste, but I would like to see it expanded upon in the future.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope that blue thief from tier 6 is a BoE because for some people acquiring it will be as possible as getting that awesome Bookish Imp from the foundry. If not harder...

As for the rewards. This mini game is more offline orriented thing. I mean, you can still play it and farm some RP while you can't reach the PC.
    Still it'd be great if they added blue marks as rewards for tier 6 :P
  • thodsrthodsr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i think sword coast adventures is awesome as a free little dice game that ties into my characters and companions... i can run low level quests to level up my lowbies or pick up winter event items by doing the event quest... it's great for when you can't log into the game or if you just want to take a little game break. it's well developed and the sounds are awesome! i have nothing but praise for it.

also i have seen reagents and refinement stones drop in SCA. overall, definitely well done.
    I agree, in fact I have gotten regents from here myself and also play it for the event tokens so I don't have to wait for the things to pop in order to play then, I would rather fish(lol).
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's a time sink for when I'm out somewhere and have a few minutes of downtime and a tablet. If I'm at home and can actually play... no contest. That said, for what it is I like it, if rewards were better I'd like it more though.
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    More people complaining about free stuff. Unbelievable.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't get as much in game playing time as I would like. This allows me to get some items I can use and level my companions without having to actually use them in game. For in game practicality (loot) it is not much but for some one like me that can use the extra means to gether any resources, it is very nice.

EDIT: Ok, so now I have a complaint. I have lost count of how many times I am in an encounter and have one hit left on them with three to five dye left only to fail. I know the law of averages aren't that bad.