test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keep fishing in the game!

limeye3limeye3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So, was wondering why a skill like fishing hasn't been put ingame yet.
But during this new festival it happend, and people love it, including me.
And it'd be a waste for it to go away after 20 days when the event ended.
So why not keep it ingame?
Post here if you agree with me and why. ^

- Snow
Post edited by limeye3 on

Comments

• Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Approved .
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    grierdongrierdon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like the idea in principle...but since I'm STUCK in the festival village and now unable to even log back in I will have to take your word for it.

But, uhm, yeah... other than that +1
  • Options
    djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly. The thrill of the contest is great! The use of lures to try to get an edge and having to upgrade your pole is fun. The entire idea of visiting a small town outside of neverwinter filled with minigames is great. Towns like this should be available year round. Not just as the limited time events like this and midsummer festival. Maybe make a cooking profession that uses the fish, and include the animals from the farm at the midsummer festival and you have a year round attraction that requires little additional effort to implement but would extend the game's longevity.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like the idea, It's fun and relaxing to fish for a while, but if they keep it afterwards they need to find an use for it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A question about Fishing , when I first logged on after the patch some of the fishing holes had green , blue and purple lights coming out of them meaning that rare fishy's are there I think but I haven't seen the lights for a couple of hours now , is that only something that happens once a day or something?

Edit - Nvm it was broken and is being fixed in the patch so the fishing holes light up again to show they are good fishing .
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    djtlite wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly. The thrill of the contest is great! The use of lures to try to get an edge and having to upgrade your pole is fun. (there is a line there, but I'm not gonna' use it) The entire idea of visiting a small town outside of neverwinter filled with minigames is great. Towns like this should be available year round. Not just as the limited time events like this and midsummer festival. Maybe make a cooking profession that uses the fish, and include the animals from the farm at the midsummer festival and you have a year round attraction that requires little additional effort to implement but would extend the game's longevity.
    If they included the Sword Coast, we could visit our Companions!
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I like the idea, It's fun and relaxing to fish for a while, but if they keep it afterwards they need to find an use for it.

Cooking profession!
    21.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Yay for actually gathering supplies rather than sending slaves off to do it.

Please bring in mining too. :)
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The fishing is cool. Maybe add some skill requirement to it other than spam F. The Drake Seals in the Sodden/waterlogged bags is a nice surprise.

All around I have had a fun day off from work enjoying the festival. Now if only I can keep the ASPCA from finding out that I'm abusing a horse by making it run a slalom, all will be good!
    And don't get me started on Monsters on Ice! That there is gold!!
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they had AD-reward (or Seals, or module tokens, or whatever kind of little reward) fishing Dailies, I'd do them. :P
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Standard gathering professions is something I had missed from day one.

A lot of people don't like mining, fishing or cutting wood. I always found them to be excellent passtimes that I could do whether I was bored or logged in with very few to no friends online.

I can't even begin to stress how much I am enjoying the fishing mechanic and how much I would love to see this put into it's own profession along with woodcutting and mining. I really don't care for the slave system and the more time I spend fishing the more and more I miss the gathering mechanics that I knew and loved in other games.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

A lot of people don't like mining, fishing or cutting wood. I always found them to be excellent passtimes that I could do whether I was bored or logged in with very few to no friends online.

I can't even begin to stress how much I am enjoying the fishing mechanic and how much I would love to see this put into it's own profession along with woodcutting and mining. I really don't care for the slave system and the more time I spend fishing the more and more I miss the gathering mechanics that I knew and loved in other games.

Exactly this.
    I cant even begin to count the times i got on another popular mmo and just wandered about gathering things just to pass the time.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I like the fishing too , I used to play another popular MMO with fishing and I enjoyed it in that game too , especially the monthly fayre event where you could fish around the shoreline and get rare stuff and pets.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i couldn't understand why the maps with mines for instance didn't have "nodes" where you could get a RNG amount of Professional resources ... IceSpire for instance, I really did expect to be able to gather Mithril from the mines and use it to craft Mithril Assets ...

Or the 'Forest" maps didn't have trees/woodcutting/trapping (for fur/leather) and such or any number of other resource gathering oportunities ... There was another game I played (with a very familiar name ... hmmm) that had exactly that, you could find "nodes" on maps that allowed you to do upgrades ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I spent countless hours doing nothing but flying around looking for and mining the ore nodes in WoW. I also fished a lot in WoW, while most of my friends couldn't stand it. Early in Skyrim, I chopped far more wood in that one starter town than I had to, because ... I could.

I definitely love having the option of such activity in a rpg/sandbox/MMO etc. I find it relaxing, or fun to do when I don't feel like bashing monsters.
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm all for incorporating fishing and cooking into the game. I spent a ton of time in the summer festival making food. I just ran out and have been hoping for more opportunity to do it. I am going to make so much ice wine!

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Amen brother! I've been pushing hard for interactive crafting (gathering, fishing, cooking, woodworking, etc) since beta. Can just barely stand the indentured servitude slavery "professions" we've got now.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Can just barely stand the indentured servitude slavery "professions" we've got now.

lol!

i definitely like the fishing so... i wouldn't mind having that in the game somewhere as a permanent fixture.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Any script kiddie can write a bot that presses "F" every few seconds.

I like the idea of fishing, but the mechanic is literally as simple as it can get.

Fishing in FF XI was interesting and requires a bit of skill (and is harder but far from impossible to write a bot for). My suggestion is to keep fishing, but to add some amount of player skill to the task.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    keep fishing, but to add some amount of player skill to the task.

There is actually a level of skill which didn't work as intended. There are supposed to be different quality fishing holes so you have to move around a bit but it wasn't working in the initial release. unless I misread something, though, it should be fixed now after tonight's unscheduled maintenance. :)

It might not be what you think is perfect, I would agree.l But it is a bit more complex than press F in the same location for fifteen minutes.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yay for actually gathering supplies rather than sending slaves off to do it.

Please bring in mining too. :)

No thanks. One of the very appealing parts to me, and the one I play with most, of the profession system in this game is not having to run around competing with others for materials in make work fashion.

It works for this event as it involves an optional activity not all that tied to any other, that one can do for a change of pace over a limited period of time. Further, making a limited time special occasion activity into a permanent feature can often cause that previously celebrated activity to be quickly seen as nothing special as it is now just part of the norm.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The competitive nature of gathering professions is definitely the worst part about them.

However that is also the easiest to solve. Most games with really competitive systems tried to balance the professions by including a competitive element and it's the most negatively received aspect of those systems. If you ever look at which gathering tasks are the best received compared to the worst it is those which allow you to interact with others compared to those which segregate you.

For instance one game I played allowed multiple people to cut the same tree but only one person could mine a resource from a rock. As such, naturally, most people enjoyed Woodcutting but hated Mining.

So the answer is quite simple: design all resource collecting professions with the intention for player interaction. Remove all competitive elements and make it a social hub more so than anything else.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So the answer is quite simple: design all resource collecting professions with the intention for player interaction. Remove all competitive elements and make it a social hub more so than anything else.

It is a simple answer, and a good one, if one wants to have to be in the game to get crafting resources. I don't use Gateway for crafting myself, so it would work for me. However, she does a good deal of her crafting in Gateway. Having to collect resources in game would kind of be a kick in the shins to that.

I suppose they could add a resource collecting aspect to Gateway, but just clicking on the same few nodes on a Gateway map akin to those in Sword Coast Adventures sounds a bit tedious to me. Maybe they could find a way to jazz it up. SCA turned out to be pretty fun, so it's possible they could make resource collecting fun in Gateway as well.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I love running around and beating stuff up. I like killing big monsters and exploring dungeons. But sometimes, all i want is to take things slow and relax. While fishing is starting to turn into a "every other game has it, so we have it too!", it is a lot of fun, if it's done right. Though personally, I would much rather have other hobbies instead. Or as well, to be precise. Maybe paint pictures? Maybe cook some food? Gather ingredients for said food? (rare ingredients are in dangerous areas, but a lot can be found in peaceful ones - or even grow them yourself, like in LotRO?). Fishing is fun, but far too common. At this rate, I half-expect DC Universe Online to let us go fishing soon. Gotta give Aquaman something to do, right? :p
  • Options
    khalith01khalith01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    . At this rate, I half-expect DC Universe Online to let us go fishing soon. Gotta give Aquaman something to do, right? :p

Aquaman would be way too overpowered when it comes to fishing, he could just command all the fish to jump in the buckets. :P
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    On the other hand, if future content is to be based around busywork (dailies) rather than predominately new dungeons, adding gathering professions is going to be potentially annoying.

Having to grind everything, all the time, just to keep up.. well, it's no fun if you have more than a couple of characters. Thus, care should be taken to not turn this into a cross between Animal Crossing and a grindy Korean MMO. That doesn't mean "don't have fishing, ever", just if most of the game becomes face-aching makework, it will become a lot less fun.

Personally, I like smashing big scary monsters in dramatic dungeons, rather than spending all my time gathering fifteen Crystals Of Embiggening, a bag full of Poultice of Pedantry, thirty Nacreous Shin-Bones and a hundred Greater Bear Asses per day. If all of that becomes necessary to be ready for the most interesting dungeons, it will really restrict what people can do in their finite playtime.

I stopped playing certain other MMOs when the density of stuff to grind (enchants, gems, inscriptions, pets etc.) got so cluttered that it detracted from the game itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I like smashing monsters faces in.

But when I am not smashing monsters faces in i would like something to do other than run in circles in PE. :)
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

But when I am not smashing monsters faces in i would like something to do other than run in circles in PE. :)
    Me too, but why does "other" always have to mean "fishing"? I know this could get out of proportion, but this is one thing I really hate about the gaming industry the last few years: "It worked for them, so it'll work for us." Meaning if one game does something unique that really works, every other game in existance does the same. The result is slow-motion and rewinding time in car games, quick-time events in anything from Resident Evil to car games (seriously... QTE's in Need for Speed? WTF?) and fishing in every MMO in existence. Why can't someone think outside the box for a change?

So here's an idea: A lot of people want more cosmetic options, and a lot of people want more hobbies. So why not combine them? Grow a field of berries and make dye. Get some wood and dye, and paint a picture for your house. Heck, even *get a house, so you can decorate it. No, this won't turn into Animal Crossing, but... "it works for them, so it works for us"...

For that matter, did anyone play Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? If you wanted a house, you had to build it yourself. Want a guild hall? Build it. The result was spending a lot of time gathering resources to build a house, but you felt it was yours. Want to build a guild hall? Be prepared to gather up all your guild mates and have everyone build a guild hall together. It tooks weeks, but it was a lot of fun. Why not expand on that idea in Neverwinter?
  • Options
    ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gathering professions would be the best.Players would be able to go back to all areas again while gathering mats.And its a good way to spend time while waiting in queue for a dungeon.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

Yes, the key is balance. There's an awful lot of busywork in the game already. If the busywork grows too much, it could eat into the monster smashing badly; that's the point. The trouble is, the grindy busywork is extremely cheap and easy "content" compared to a new Monster Smasharium(tm).

Extremes in any direction seldom work out well, though- and there's a trend where the balance starting to tilt towards cheap busywork.