Install Arc
Options

Keep fishing in the game!

Comments

• Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    No thanks. One of the very appealing parts to me, and the one I play with most, of the profession system in this game is not having to run around competing with others for materials in make work fashion.

I'm not saying change the current professions i'm just saying add the gathering. it could still be done through gateway.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    There's a lot of busywork already, but all of it is optional. So why not add more optional stuff? Optional is good. :)
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yay for actually gathering supplies rather than sending slaves off to do it.

Please bring in mining too. :)
    Standard gathering professions is something I had missed from day one.

A lot of people don't like mining, fishing or cutting wood. I always found them to be excellent passtimes that I could do whether I was bored or logged in with very few to no friends online.

I can't even begin to stress how much I am enjoying the fishing mechanic and how much I would love to see this put into it's own profession along with woodcutting and mining. I really don't care for the slave system and the more time I spend fishing the more and more I miss the gathering mechanics that I knew and loved in other games.

I am enjoying fishing as well. And would be happy if them added some permanent form of it.

I have different take on the professions though. I don't mind the hired worker concept. It doesn't always make sense for a 'adventurer' to forever gathering mundane resources when they don't have to. And the almost spreadsheet form they use is fine for the Gateway. But I wish they had an alternate system to go along with it.

By that I mean a way for us to interact with the workers in the game. Imagine picking a special mission in the list. Having that mission in progress would give the character be able to go to an instance to help out our hirelings. If it was mining... one day you could just be helping them mine. Another you could be defending your miners from goblins or something. Or something like that to tie the professions to the game and break away from the spreadsheet a little.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I am very much enjoying fishing. Taking a day or two to deposit a dozen fishing holes throughout neverwinter's zones, providing a little crafting options and such? Sounds perfect. It's relaxing, doesn't require a lot of management, and kinda fun.

To fit with our current crafting, though, being able to hire fishermen should also be an option.

Of course, they could add flowerpicking to random spots in the zones, too, as well as a cooking profession that takes from both.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2013
    what is this ...pressing F on a whole in the ground lol
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    Me too, but why does "other" always have to mean "fishing"?

It doesn't have to mean fishing.
    The only reason this is coming up directed at fishing is because they actually added a form of fishing in the game. If it had been a form of mining I suspect we would be having the same exact discussion but requesting mining rather than fishing.

People are more stressing about their enjoyment of actual gathering tasks that are not centered around killing monsters more so than favoring one or another. Fishing happened to make an appearance but it could have been any actual gathering task.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    you're kidding right? pushing 1 button over and over is fun?

not to mention all the bots.

dumbest thing ever in MMO.

the horse race isn't much better though.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fair requests! I'll let the devs know how much you love it!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not really for this either.

It's a nice break from the smashy-smashy, pew-pew-pew, this is true. I do enjoy it when it comes around, but by the end of 20 days I'm toast on it even without heavy farming. Gathering professions, to me, are a waste of time in-game and in general. We already see the worse of "competition" based gathering in game with the nodes that can be half looted by bots, and adding in a profession like these will only bring in more, I think.

When I want some quiet time, I turn the computer off and open up a book or go outside, if either of them or possible. But hey, I'm glad you all are enjoying it, I just wouldn't participate hardly at all if these sort of things came in unless there are (and there inevitably would be >_>) achievements attached to them.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would really like to see this, and much more.

Such as mining, cooking, and maybe gardening/farming(literal plant farming), and other things like this.

It would fit in with the RP crowd very nicely as well.

EDIT: and I agree with the busy work. I don't think it should be necessary to use things like this for advancing your character. Maybe just have bonuses, rewards you can receive other ways, or just vanity items.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    dirtymagg0t123dirtymagg0t123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    A question about Fishing , when I first logged on after the patch some of the fishing holes had green , blue and purple lights coming out of them meaning that rare fishy's are there I think but I haven't seen the lights for a couple of hours now , is that only something that happens once a day or something?

Edit - Nvm it was broken and is being fixed in the patch so the fishing holes light up again to show they are good fishing .

If it is glowing green, it is uncommon. If it is glowing blue, it is rare. If it is glowing purple, it is epic.
  • Options
    limeye3limeye3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101
    edited December 2013
    The only reason this is coming up directed at fishing is because they actually added a form of fishing in the game. If it had been a form of mining I suspect we would be having the same exact discussion but requesting mining rather than fishing.

People are more stressing about their enjoyment of actual gathering tasks that are not centered around killing monsters more so than favoring one or another. Fishing happened to make an appearance but it could have been any actual gathering task.

Exactly.
    sominator wrote: »
    Fair requests! I'll let the devs know how much you love it!

Thanks a lot. ^

-
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The only reason this is coming up directed at fishing is because they actually added a form of fishing in the game.
    True, but why do you think they added fishing in the first place? It certainly wasn't to be creative and thinking outside the box. ;)
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    Such as mining, cooking, and maybe gardening/farming(literal plant farming), and other things like this.
    Been there, done that, gone bored of it a long time ago. I know being creative is hard, but sometimes, it feels like the industry stopped trying over a decade ago. :( In fact, the only game on the horizong I'm geniunly looking forward to is Wildstar, and they openly say they don't have any new things in the game. It's just a collection of the best parts from a ton of other games. Which does add up to an amazing game, but I really wish someone could take a chance and do something brand new for a change.
  • Options
    snowywarbler17snowywarbler17 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I honestly love the fishing and race events the new holiday has brought. i would really like if fishing could be kept in the game after the event is over. Not only is it relaxing, it is fun see what kind of fish or treasures you could pull up. A suggestion for the Devs; why not make a zone where you use cool prices (like transmutable armor/weapons) or silly titles/buffs/or even possibly that very nice reward that is a low drop rate (like a fishing bag that can hold more cubic space! BoP of course so you have to work for it/feel more rewarded and this solves the problem with not very many bags being in the game.)
  • Options
    tribalsagetribalsage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree with you! Fishing would definitely be a great perm addition to this wonderful game.
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No thanks, fishing is so much luck when I can use a purple rod, purple lure, on a purple hole, and still get a brown bream. I'd rather they not make the game more like runescape. Instead of fishing they should work on professions a little more and make it more than just press N, open menu, choose, and leave for a while. It'd create the same effect without the problems.

Also I guarantee someone will macro the heck out of it within 5 minutes of its release and have the entirety of what you could get.
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Didn't read all the post but i will put in my 2 cents.

i agree fishing would be interesting feature for this game.
    I also would like to suggest adding a cooking profession
    to cook the fish and use the cooked fish like potions.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I think everyone should look more on the positive sides rather than the negative ones. ^^
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've yet to see a fishing profession in a mmo that isn't soul crushingly boring.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Id prefer something that requires a little bit of actual skill. Rather then the pure random "push here to roll the dice" we have now. A system where you need might need to time your clicks or youll loose the fish. Something better then the game of "who can get the candlefish last" that we currently have.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agree with sockmunkey would prefer something with a little more skill or at least anything that would require a working brain.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find it to be boring, and the only reason to participate is because it is the best way to get lights for the rewards.

If they did keep it, they would have to find something to mke it worth while. Sorry, but I do not think that very many people would be sitting around a lake fishing unless there was a payoff.

So it's not just about them keeping something in the game, but of them inventing a new system to justify the existence of that activity.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    In fact, the only game on the horizong I'm geniunly looking forward to is Wildstar, and they openly say they don't have any new things in the game.

Ugh. After the way NCSoft destroyed Tabula Rasa and treated Richard Garriot you couldn't pay me to play one of their games.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They do, you can get seals in waterlogged items.
    mrspuma wrote: »
    If they had AD-reward (or Seals, or module tokens, or whatever kind of little reward) fishing Dailies, I'd do them. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Seems to me that I read a couple of months ago that there were about 100 mithril nodes on Icespire. I found a few without too much trouble.
    bendalek wrote: »
    i couldn't understand why the maps with mines for instance didn't have "nodes" where you could get a RNG amount of Professional resources ... IceSpire for instance, I really did expect to be able to gather Mithril from the mines and use it to craft Mithril Assets ...

Or the 'Forest" maps didn't have trees/woodcutting/trapping (for fur/leather) and such or any number of other resource gathering oportunities ... There was another game I played (with a very familiar name ... hmmm) that had exactly that, you could find "nodes" on maps that allowed you to do upgrades ...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Cooking for the Giant is done in Gauntlgrym.
    Cooking profession!
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited December 2013
    I agree and this could be an opportunity to make craftings worth doing as well.
    Fishing could be introduces as a job and they could add to job opportunities and include mining, harvesting aso.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Ugh. After the way NCSoft destroyed Tabula Rasa and treated Richard Garriot you couldn't pay me to play one of their games.

Lets not forget what NCSoft did to CoH as well. There are a ton of old CoH vets here still a wee bit bitter about that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Going a bit off-topic here though, i just like fishing and how its implemented atm, changes are always welcome, ofcourse.