test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yes, I know HAMSTER got an Owlbear, Inferno Mount, Rust Monster or whatever. So what!!!

ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Honestly, I can't be the only one who's sick of the "Some random guy has gotten a random mount or companion" every freakin' minute. I'm not even joking. I counted them in the chat, and I got 18 of those messages in less than twenty minutes. hat's roughtly one every single minute for twenty minutes. One every single minute. For twenty minutes. Yes, I know some of those are real. I got an Inferno Mount, and saw my own name in a message like that. Like the rest of the server, I imagine. But still, lately it's been so ridiculously many of them, that I simply don't believe they are all genuine players. There's no way that many people open that many lockboxes and get that many mounts or companions.

But nevermind that. It's getting really distracting, and I really, REALLY want to shut it off. Or at least tone it down a bit to the chat channel, or something. Even just move it to the side of the screen, where it's not that much in the way. I definitely don't want it right in the middle of the screen.

Yes, I know this is a F2P game, and yes, I know they need to make money somehow. The thing is, that doesn't justify it anymore. There are tons of F2P games that needs money just as much as this, yet they have a lot more subtle approch to it. Path of Exile is a good example. Or Secret World. Or DC Universe Online. And a lot of others, but you get the idea. "It's a F2P game" doesn't justify it anymore. I'll still play the game, of course, but I would enjoy it a lot more if I could play it, and not read about who got what every freakin' minute. Thanks.
Post edited by ladymythos on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While DCUO is great in many things for free players, it has much more limitations for them too, like the 2000 gold limit, so I prefer to have some randome texts once in a while and not a gold or AD limit, thank you.
    It doesn't bother me usually, maybe now that there are more players by release of module 2, it might be more annoying, but I haven't noticed it at least.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not saying I enjoy seeing it.. But it's gotten to the point where I mostly just tune it out now and hardly notice it.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    save your breath. this is something we asked for in beta but got zero response.
    don't waste your time. at least they got rid of the link, we used to chatban everyone lol
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I know it was around in the beta. I was here at launch, and I've been on and off ever since. But lately, it's gotten a lot worse than it used to be. It was tolerable before, but now it's too distracting for me, and that makes me considering leaving the game. That's counter-productive, to say the least. It should make me want to spend money, not make me want to quit.

Of course I'll still stay, though. I just won't enjoy it as much as I used to.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They just released a new update, with the HR a lot of people have been wanting, along with a new lock box. There is likely a higher rate of box opening than usual right now, leading to more box related spam than usual. It will probably settle down after a bit.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    They just released a new update, with the HR a lot of people have been wanting, along with a new lock box. There is likely a higher rate of box opening than usual right now, leading to more box related spam than usual. It will probably settle down after a bit.

Especially during the key sale. I saw several people having repeat performances even! Lucky them XD

As for the topic, I can take the notices or leave them. They don't bother me, personally, one way or the other.
    contents to be decided
  • skylher12skylher12 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    Especially during the key sale. I saw several people having repeat performances even! Lucky them XD

the question is how does the same person (orange) get 15 messages in a two minute period, something is wrong with that scenario, no way he used 15 keys and got a mount/companion in each one something fishy there
  • bcomptonbcompton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I liken the anouncements to the sound of a slot machine hitting the jackpot. Sooner or later everyone says "why not me" and tries their luck.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    skylher12 wrote: »
    the question is how does the same person (orange) get 15 messages in a two minute period, something is wrong with that scenario, no way he used 15 keys and got a mount/companion in each one something fishy there

RNG is RNG. -shrugs- I went through 120 keys (using the proceeds from the lock boxes to fund the next batch of keys). I never saw a single rust monster or kwalish myself. But that's all I can say, really: RNG is RNG.
    bcompton wrote: »
    I liken the anouncements to the sound of a slot machine hitting the jackpot. Sooner or later everyone says "why not me" and tries their luck.

Which is pretty much why I used my AD to get the first 10 keys. Seemed like a lot of others were getting them, so why not give it a shot?
    contents to be decided
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I saw this too. It could be RNG but a dev might want to investigate to be sure, as it was extremely odd, at the speed it was coming up every box that person owned would have had to have had an epic reward.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is annoying. I have a tab just for guild chat and it is spammed with these notifications. We need the option to turning it off from showing in the chat tabs.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Somebody was asking the same thing a few days ago and they said that they had got rid of it on STO.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?545201-How-to-turn-off-admin-channel&p=6702191&viewfull=1#post6702191
    Maybe if that's true then if we all complain enough we can get them to disable it , or at least give us an option to make it go away .
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    skylher12 wrote: »

Probably some Whale (read: crazy rich and spends many thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars on Game related hobbies because, hey, why not?) opening like 2000 boxes in a row, rapid fire, one after another without stopping to see what they actually get until the end.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yeah, i am not exactly sure why i am being told about some guy winning something random. Seems irrelevant.
    Why can't we have nice things?
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The frequency of the messages comes and goes with the release of new content, new lockboxes, key/zen sales, and so on. Months ago when I started playing, the Inferno mount message was frequent. Then it died down. Then the new lockboxes with new rewards cause an increase of the messages again.

The new module has a new lockbox, so is it really surprising that it's increased again? In another month, more or less, it'll slow down to a trickle again.
    There's no way that many people open that many lockboxes and get that many mounts or companions.
    You might be surprised. Some people have a lot of disposable income, plus there are always those who do it for "profit." eg, the bot-like players.
    yeah, i am not exactly sure why i am being told about some guy winning something random. Seems irrelevant.
    It's to make people go "what are people getting and how do I get one?" :P
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is dungeon exploit players/whales and some large guilds. I only notice it now days when it is in a long parade of notifications like that. I don't know anyone personally who has got any of the mount or pet drops from the lockboxes I have opened 400+ at this point and have given up. I don't mind the messages when its their first one but do I need to hear about every single one that they get? How about only notification proc when its their first one.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    it's the admin channel. if you were able to turn it off, you would not get notices such as "the server will be shutting down for maintenance in 15 minutes. thank you for playing neverwinter." or any other notices that they might provide through that channel.

and as has been mentioned, more people are now playing rangers during a new module drop with a key sale and bonus zen and promotions because we're now into the silly season... definitely not surprising at all.

one advantage (yes there is one) is that when there are a lot of mount/companion winners, the price of them goes down on the AH. the first time i saw an apparatus of kwalish on the AH, the price was 3 mil. the last time i looked, they were around 600k. that is around the price of 12-14 keys (current price/market value).
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "one advantage (yes there is one) is that when there are a lot of mount/companion winners, the price of them goes down on the AH. the first time i saw an apparatus of kwalish on the AH, the price was 3 mil. the last time i looked, they were around 600k. that is around the price of 12-14 keys (current price/market value)."

That's happened with all the mounts/companions, has nothing to do with the announcements but supply and demand. Which can be manipulated by PWE/Cryptic without any notice to the playerbase.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    edited December 2013
    mrspuma wrote: »
    It's to make people go "what are people getting and how do I get one?" :P

I cannot gamble so I cannot care about it. Leave it up for people who think gambling is fun.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's obnoxious and in your face, which is exactly what they want. No matter how or when you play, the devs and PWE want you to know that there are people winning, and that maybe, just maybe, you could be a winner too...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2013
    That is a mentality that has been around for generations and people always forget that "the house always wins".
    If people want to gamble, i will not complain. But for people like me who will never gamble, it makes the game seem cheap and unpolished.
    Randomly winning isn't winning.
  • cobaltturtlecobaltturtle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If it is meant to be advertising for buying the items or keys or whatever to open the boxes it isn't working... it's making me want to buy one less every time it pops up on my screen and interrupts what I'm doing.
  • mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It generally annoys the heck out of me, too, but it was pretty cool to be playing my Shadowspawn with my kids' Shadowspawns (dedicated trio, made to look exactly alike, wearing off duty clothing that is exactly alike...) and see "Shadowspawn has received a Rust Monster" and not a single one of us was opening boxes. It was a 4th Shadowspawn somewhere that got it. :-p
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well it would not be so annoying if MY NAME POPPED UP every once in a while..............but alas that is not the case........so I am more used to it and find I am able to completely ignore it now.......
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Back during Beta, I wanted a nightmare so bad. Opened a few boxes with what little AD I had and zilch. My friend bought some keys and I gave her a lockbox I'd just picked up. She won a nightmare. That night was the first time I spent money on the game, not to buy keys, but to buy a nightmare. So Cryptic won two ways that night. :p
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • sheepbitersheepbiter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some people literally buy like 1000 keys and sit there all day opening lockboxes, then make all the cash back selling the mounts for like 100 bucks each.
    Cya, b:cool
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If it is meant to be advertising for buying the items or keys or whatever to open the boxes it isn't working... it's making me want to buy one less every time it pops up on my screen and interrupts what I'm doing.

Exactly.

Each transparent attempt at my AD/real money makes me keep my wallet shut as tight as possible.

Add to this I HATE gambling and especially people that take advantage of addicts (yup... it's an addiction), and PWE can basically guarantee they will never see a purchase of ANYTHING from me in the game.

Actually... I'd purchase a subscription... if they would fix (most of) the bugs and offer a fresh server with all significant gear BoP and without any possibilities for "shortcuts" with real money, so everybody starts and continues on the same footing.

Yes, I know this will never happen.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is placed on the admin channel so it can't be disabled or ignored. It is a small part of a coercive marketing strategy to make players particularly susceptible to certain queues react in a manner that might make them expend money on zen to buy keys. It is nothing more and nothing less.

Forgot one bit: another part is the positive reinforcement that might make the lucky player likely to try again, and again, and again...
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I definitely didn't like the fact the messages popped up in the middle of the game screen, but I just used the HUD options to move the notice HUD bar to another location. Because it wasn't just the Admin notices, it was the profession completion/reward notices, the level up notices, etc. Middle of the screen blocks my view and I can't do anything until they all disappear.

So now they show up in the top of my screen between my avatar icon and the strip of game interface buttons. Much better.

During periods of rapid "winners" showing up in chat windows, however...I can see where that would be annoying when one is wanting to, y'know, chat, and those messages cause the chat window to scroll up faster than you want. It'd be nice if it was "forced" only in the three default chat windows ... eg, if you make your own new chat window and call it, say, "Guild Chat", it doesn't show up there.
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @Pers3phone I would pay what I am going to pay for a TESO subscription for exactly the same thing. I am a huge Sub fan.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP