test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Double XP?

rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Does it not come fast enough? Will we see anyone doing content between Tower District and Sharandar anymore?

Plenty of things I'd rather see, than double XP. I have a great gift for rhyme. Some of the time...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
Post edited by rortie on

Comments

• syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rortie wrote: »
    Does it not come fast enough? Will we see anyone doing content between Tower District and Sharandar anymore?

When leveling alts and runnings CTA skrimishes, I'm sure you will. Or grinding out the Sharandar campaign's boons.
    contents to be decided
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Double XP won't grant those tedious-to-get boons much sooner. The bottleneck is those *bleeping*'sparks'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • wiserwithagewiserwithage Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 49
    edited November 2013
    In my mind, they're giving out the bonus XP for the established players to level up their stable of Companions. With the new Companion mission system, people will be sending x4 of their x5 Active Companions on missions. Based on the preview article, higher level pets will have more wins and better results. Therefore people really need x5 @ 30th level. One pet would be for live play and the other x4 would be for the missions.

Before they announced the Companion mission system, most of my characters had only leveled up one or two pets. I've been working on slowly building a stable of mission pets for each character, but it's hard to get quest XP at 60th level. You've really only got access to the daily quests, which makes it hard to power level up multiple companions at the same time. Multiply this for multiple characters and you're talking about significant time sinks.

In order to help their customers deal with these time sinks, Cryptic will award bonus XP. It makes a certain amount of sense.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ah dang, I didnt even think about companions.
    contents to be decided
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yeah you'll want all of your companions leveled up for the roll out of module 2. :)
  • kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    yeah you'll want all of your companions leveled up for the roll out of module 2. :)

For the sword coast adventures ;)
  • jackaddjackadd Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't know about you but I just got a whole new account with 6 character slots and I planned on leveling one of each class to 60 again. This'll make it faster. Hopefully I can get them all to 60 before the weekend ends.
    edited November 2013
    ksho wrote: »
    For the sword coast adventures ;)

for that AND the idle companion bonuses AND the opening of extra idle companions slots for FREE... :D
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    for that AND the idle companion bonuses AND the opening of extra idle companions slots for FREE... :D

I think you mean active slots. Though if leveling up companions unlocked more idle slots that would be great.
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    I think you mean active slots. Though if leveling up companions unlocked more idle slots that would be great.

yes thanks for correcting me. i have not yet had my coffee. :D
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    level of companion does nothing at all for the active bonus, it all depends on their color: white green and so on.
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    level of companion does nothing at all for the active bonus, it all depends on their color: white green and so on.

Yes double XP seems weird. FYI, you have access to all companions when playing sword coast, not just active.
  • ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great event.Time for my 4lvl GF to become my 5th 60lvl character.:D
  • donarriosdonarrios Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If anything I would hope for a half xp weekend. I hardly see any dungeons as it is because I always level too fast. Screw endgame, it's the road towards it that counts. Endgame is always boring, in every MMO I played. So reaching that usually means going elsewhere for me. And I'm sure many others feel the same way.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I plan to use this to get an augment pet for either my cleric or rogue. I definitely won't make a new character during this time, but that wouldn't happen until Shadowmantle launches anyway. I agree that the leveling is more fun than the endgame. I'd love to see more adventure zones added and an option slow down XP gain. People that want to powerlevel to 60 could still do so, people that don't want to add time to leveling would have alternate paths to take and those of who want to enjoy the process would have more time and places to do so. I've seen very few people that say leveling is too slow and quite a few who've said it's too fast.

You can still do the dungeons even if you've outleveled the queue for them. Go to the map, use zone or lfg chat to find a party and go through the front door. Skirmishes are the only content you can outlevel, at which point you're stuck waiting for a CTA event which may take awhile.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    slambit wrote: »

To change a companion to a higher colour grade, you must first get it to maximum level for the colour grade it currently has. Due to this a double experience weekend is related to increasing the active bonus of non-purple pets.
  • evilgenius180evilgenius180 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm new to the game and I like the current pace of leveling. Does anybody know if this will be a mandatory server-wide XP boost, or will Cryptic do what they do in Champions Online and Star Trek Online and have you go see somebody to get the double XP boost? (personally, I hope it's the latter because I hate double XP)

One of the things that ruined my enjoyment of Star Wars: The Old Republic was double XP with no way to opt-out, so I wound up either having over leveled and under geared characters or just not playing on those long weekends. I hope that doesn't happen here, because I really like this game so far.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Some of y'all would complain about winning the lottery. It's a free double XP weekend! Enjoy it! I'm using the time to level one or two toons (working on one now).
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Remember some people are trying to level their first toon, and want to be able to hit the Skirmishes. They all too easy to miss with the normal rate of levelling. Plus not everyone wants to break speed records to 60, some do want to follow the quest lines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Every time I roll a new character something happens.

Rolled a GWF because I bought new character slots with the discount for the Hunter Ranger class.

I always miss out, no matter how much I try on a Dungeon and a Skirmish on my way to LV 60.

At the moment I have him sitting pretty at lv 27 with 1st half of Graveyard completed. I do not want to double XP past the next section.

Last time it was the Summer Festival, The Invasion of PE etc..etc,,,

Oh well I will have to just not play him for the weekend.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    This brings up some very interesting points. Personally, I'm going to absolutely love the extra xp to level my new account I've been working on, but for new players they are going to miss out on quest line material, could miss out on gaining extra inventory bags, could miss out on getting race cloaks from missing quests, ect. I never thought double xp could have negative effects, but it looks like there are some that are being brought up here. It'd be nice if they could add a toggle option for it or something.
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Double XP, just like any other event in any MMO has pros and cons. Usually solved by a simple opt-out, like not talking to "bob" to get the quest.

New players will have to be smart about playing this weekend, check the level cap of dungeons and stop playing before you go over it.
    For those with companions, or that fast track to 60? Lets the games commence!

But personally, for me, leveling companions past their standard max? Its just too much. Honestly it is.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
    edited November 2013
    You can't level out of the racial and class quests. I know that first hand. You may have to work to track down the quest givers as the icon over there head won't show up. Save those emails and talk to everyone, or search Google.

The skirmishes will be what people have to watch out for, but although I just bought two more character slots, I won't make a character until after the 2xXP is over or more likely Dec 5th.
  • ictuscommanderictuscommander Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    will be profession xp doubled too?
  • valasquavalasqua Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm going to use the 2XP weekend to push my Devoted Cleric through the last few levels. But XP comes so fast in this game that a 2XP weekend isn't that useful.

It's too bad we can't get double rewards in Sharandar so I could finish up my boons before module 2. That's what I really need.
  • mickwanmickwan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited November 2013
    so useful double xp week right before the new module release
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    mickwan wrote: »
    so useful double xp week right before the new module release

Yeah, the timing couldn't be more frustrating, eh?
  • vee7272vee7272 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm currently levelling my new main character and want to enjoy te journey this time, so maybe I'll just level my alts to 60 then. That's gonna be fun.

Do you guys think you can out level an adventure zone or the next one. I know for a fact that if your level is too high for an area, you dont get quests from that area.
    Gregg Silverkin, TR on Mindflayer

Guild: Rising Star
    edited November 2013
    The markers stop showing up on the quest givers but usually you can still get the quests. It can be tricky to follow some of them if you don't play close attention to what they say. I thought for a long time that my rogue couldn't finish Icespire but it was just because I didn't talk to someone standing beside the quest giver. If you do outlevel a zone like that, talk to everyone and use the wiki or Google. The only content you can truly outlevel is the skirmishes, which unless/until they do them as CTA events, are lost forever.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    DOUBLE XP! Woo-hoo: now you can accidentally OVERSHOOT LEVEL CAPS in each and every quest zone!

Double XP isn't all it's cracked-up to be in Neverwinter, anyway. Not when it's too easy to overshoot quest level caps.

'Nuff said.