test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter not altoholics friendly?? :p

kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As in thread, i got 60 lvl DC and GWF, leveling GF....this is only mmo where i got more than one character :p
Everyday, sometime almost i do on my 2 lvl 60 chars all dailys (well i do only sections where i still must do for campaign progression) now it is ok cause i nearly end grinding Shandar dailys so there is no problem BUT.....when module 2 start and i got GF on lvl 60 then will be small probleme cause i will dont have time to grind dailys on all my char, dont mention what will be when i do planned CW after GF x.x

Neverwinter is my first mmo where i got more than one character, main reason is different feeling of combat, i like it but when i dont have time to daily'ng all my chars then i must always sacrifice progres on one or two of them :( some help with dailys grinding on alts will be help from devs i think.

Or i'm wrong and there are some ways helping with this issue, so pls for advice. :D
Post edited by ksho on

Comments

• giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ksho wrote: »
    As in thread, i got 60 lvl DC and GWF, leveling GF....this is only mmo where i got more than one character :p
    Everyday, sometime almost i do on my 2 lvl 60 chars all dailys (well i do only sections where i still must do for campaign progression) now it is ok cause i nearly end grinding Shandar dailys so there is no problem BUT.....when module 2 start and i got GF on lvl 60 then will be small probleme cause i will dont have time to grind dailys on all my char, dont mention what will be when i do planned CW after GF x.x

Neverwinter is my first mmo where i got more than one character, main reason is different feeling of combat, i like it but when i dont have time to daily'ng all my chars then i must always sacrifice progres on one or two of them :( some help with dailys grinding on alts will be help from devs i think.

Or i'm wrong and there are some ways helping with this issue, so pls for advice. :D

I have 5 characters and 3 of them have most of the boons, Some people have ten characters...

Perhaps in the future there will be shared bag space with a new type of Item that is contained within this bag space and is levelled up through the dailys by any character that you are logged into. But for now, you must really enjoy smashing those redcaps!!
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, it's a real problem when games have too much to do. :cool:

There's nothing that says you have to do all the dailies every day. If you pick up dailies, and they offer a different set the next day, you can still complete the previous dailies, I believe. Or just do a couple characters each day, and space it out.

If they keep launching campaigns like this, it's going to give people A LOT to do at max level, which is a very good thing, in my opinion. Take your time and enjoy it. There's no reason to feel like you need to rush through everything.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Basically, if you have a lot of characters, you need to pace yourself. Don't expect to do everything on everyone all at once. That way lies madness.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, truth be told, extra character slots are one of the most reasonably priced items in the Zen store... I currently have 8 slots, (6 used). It's only invoking that becomes a PITA when you start getting a lot of characters...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, truth be told, extra character slots are one of the most reasonably priced items in the Zen store... I currently have 8 slots, (6 used). It's only invoking that becomes a PITA when you start getting a lot of characters...

I wish you could see when the last invoke was on the character screen. Everytime I work my way down the list, my ocd has me go back and check to make sure.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    This is a topic that comes up in my guild a lot actually. In fact we were *just* talking about it a few minutes ago.

One of our players is a massive altoholic and is constantly frustrated by how much time he has to put in to play the game and not get left behind and it's not just about daily quests.

The events like the CTA's are a huge part of the problem as well. The system is so horribly screwed to benefit single character players that it's really quite sad to deal with. It's to the point all of our altoholics are picking favorites because there is too much to have to do to get every single thing.

And I take the view that events should be fun. The rewards are not great. They're cool but they remain pretty bland other than the cosmetics. The truth of the matter is that a lot of the items PWE considers "individual" should be completely scrapped and placed into an unlock system.

Here's a handful:
    • Zen Mounts - Remove the quality and sell them as SKINS - Reduce the price to 5-15 dollars
    • Have the Mount speed a separate purchase that has all skins act at one speed
    • Companions should be account unlocks at the current prices
    • All CTA items should be account or at least character unlocks.
    • Event items should always be account unlocked.

And this is scratching the surface because at the end of the day the list is pretty massive. The game mechanics encourage multiple characters so much but the cash shop and the drop mechanics greatly discourage it.

I'm fine with gridning for end game gear character by character. However there are a lot of more "optional" things like the CTA's that really feel like a punch in the gut to players with more than two characters and this has actually caused many players I know to no longer partake in these events which are supposed to be fun.

It's to the point they have more fun ignoring they exist because if they do it on one and not another character they feel like they lost out or failed on that character. And it's a shame because they don't dislike the events or the rewards, only the reward systems.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can I just say, turning in liar's charms one at a time for a permanent cat-ear mask on 5 characters, plus insisting on one skeleton for the collection? I almost died!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here's a handful:
    • Zen Mounts - Remove the quality and sell them as SKINS - Reduce the price to 5-15 dollars
    • Have the Mount speed a separate purchase that has all skins act at one speed
    • Companions should be account unlocks at the current prices
    • All CTA items should be account or at least character unlocks.
    • Event items should always be account unlocked.

Wow, that list is awesome. Mount upgrading being expensive and companions not being account-wide are my biggest gripes. And there they both are.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • n0fxer#8270 n0fxer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That list would probably be a real key turner for me to start spending again lol.. I have 5 characters already (2 I capped within the first month the game came out and I spent a little more than I care to admit to set them both up lol) and with the upcoming Hunter Ranger, this system of high prices for something that is only good for one character simply turns me off.. heck, the game I was playing a long time I have capped each class at least once in multiple configurations and had a blast learning all the ins and outs of the interaction between the classes. That is where I get my kicks.

While the one vanity mount I bought was BtA, having to buy bags at 10$ each due to the crazy amount of enchantments you get as you level is what really turned me off (system based stuff aside of course) from wanting to really invest more time into my alts. And being an admittedly severe altoholic, yearning to learn just about everything about each class and how they interact with the others first hand, kind of feels like a kick to the gut. I don't mind spending money on something I enjoy, but when it is this skewed towards only one character and you still spend a good chunk (or someone else does and you grind the everloving heck out of AD to build up Zen) of cash/time just to make your basic experience more manageable. It's crazy, really.

TL;DR: Previous listing would be a godsend to someone who plays too many characters at once for their own good. Make things cheaper or more interchangeable on the account, and the money will flow moreso.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've got six characters and will probably get more at some point. Had four, all max level, when Feywild launched and tried to run them through the dailies everyday. Finally I gave up on that. My first and main character completed the campaign. The rest did the Reservoir each week and maybe some of the dailies on the weekend. Fortunately now all them are finished with the boons and my next two characters have just reached the point where I need so many more sparks than currency items, I can pick and choose which dailies to run. Just get the spark quest everyday for both of them and run a few of the zone quests. It's great to be able say 'no' to the more annoying ones, Witch Hunt and Big Bad and Ugly (back side of the map, lots of mobs to accidentally pull into the fight, control immunity which means changing my bar) and the War Makers (melee chars end up hitting catapults and causing more mobs to spawn being the main annoyance, though the last siege tower fight is annoying if you kill the Thorn before the Shaman and then don't remember to get the Witherer that immediately spawns.)

The Halloween event really bugged me. It's the only holiday I care about and the event looked really nice. But the grind was terrible. After refusing for the first couple of days, I finally did it and got two skellies and three masks. The charms and the tokens both being BOP were really annoying as I could have just saved up the ones from chars who weren't going to get them while they went about their own business.

I ran the Helms CTA all weekend and never got the paladin ghost. I've run at least forty of the current CTA and have one mount and a ton of enchants and dyes but no weapons. I'm running it now with my cleric instead of my GWF because the latter already has a tier 1 prize pig from the summer event. (fashion and mount tabs, please!)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . . Indeed. This game was, at first, very friendly to having multiple characters and was even seemingly marketed that way. Now, it is very hard to maintain multiple characters beyond 3 or more. By the time you get doing one or two character's dailies, you either don't have time to do any more or doing more is less thrilling than before as it is quite repetitive. The major factor in all of this is the wide array of Bind on Pickup items in the game now. This causes you to have to run multiple characters constantly to try and get something for just that character.

. . . . . . BoP items need to go and allow the game to settle into a proper player-driven market with Bind on Equip items instead. This would not only allow a player to play their main or favored characters to get stuff for their other characters, as well as allow the player market to expand by selling items on the Auction House and being able to buy them there for other characters. As well, this will allow a more friendly and helping atmosphere by allowing friends and family to share more things among themselves. I am getting really fed up with the amount of BoP items being introduced into this game, especially in events.
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So we have basicly started to complain that the game have to much content now? You are kidding me right?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    So we have basicly started to complain that the game have to much content now? You are kidding me right?
    . . . . . Do read the comments and opinions, this has little to do with content. It has to do with its delivery and marketing. Please only provide feedback if you're going to actually engage in the discussion in a constructive manner. Thanks!
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have five live characters plus my test-server HR that I only have time for on the weekends occasionally. What I do is invoke and queue professions at least once daily on every character (twice daily if I've got time), then pick one to play for my hour or two of playtime for the day. It works for regular gameplay, but with the current frequency of events I end up doing more event stuff than actual questing. :eek: Not that I'm complaining that the events exist -- although there's always the whole BoP and grinding thing that's been brought up here already so I won't repeat it -- but it seems like they've been given to us a lot more frequently lately. I hope we get a little bit more spacing between events after this, otherwise I'll never progress further in regular gameplay on any of my characters.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • tenshi36tenshi36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it is not that there is too much content. really it is that there is too little and they designed it where you have to do the SAME content multiple times on a daily basis to progress through it.

i've got 7 characters, i haven't even got the first one fully booned yet. its just too dull imho.

also, i was planning on making a whole new character just to use the shadow wolf, but seeing as it took 50+ runs to get one for my gwf and dc, i've decided against that.
  • marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have eight characters that I am leveling, four of which are fully booned for Sharandar on the live server. I have done minimal testing of the new Paragon path for the CW and have a level 58 Hunter/Ranger on the test server. I am an altaholic and will eventually have all the classes at level 60. Now, I have an outrageous amount of play time currently, single and semi-retired. With regards to the campaigns, additional content is always welcome and for Sharandar I was able to grind all four through but with Shadowmantle I will be choosing which characters to take through it at one time, one or two initially and then the others when I can fit it in. I enjoyed the Sharandar campaign quite a bit but I will admit that by the end of completing it with four characters I was burned out by the time required and repetitive quests but I was doing the quests four times a day. That is just the price of being an altaholic, there are choices that will eventually have to be made on which characters progress at certain times.

The event BoP items, specifically the masquerade tokens left me with quite a few dye packs and that is about it. Making event items BoP would be very nice for those of us that want to play multiple characters. The requirement for 600 tokens on a single character made the companion out of reach for me but I was more concerned with completing the quests. This leads to the problem with making the masquerade tokens BoP, the quest rewards would make it unreasonable to make them BoP as multiple characters would have achieved the numbers required for the rewards too quickly.

For the Zen store companions, making them character unlocks has made them unattainable for me at the current price point. I have purchased a mount from the Zen store because it was an account unlock that matched specific characters and I love my Armoured Bear. It suits Dwarves perfectly. With the new collection system, account unlocks may have additional issues for companions.

In conclusion, I will eventually level cap and equip at least one of each class and race but I will be making choices about which content I complete. I have spent less time running the last few events but that may be due to having just completed Sharandar with four characters and needing a break from grinding. For campaigns, depending on timing I will complete them with each of my characters but will make choices on which ones I run at certain times to prevent being burned out on the specific content. For instance, I am not running much of the Shadowmantle campaign on the preview server so that it will be fresh when it starts on the live server. The little I have run seems quite interesting. I am testing the H/R class extensively to pass on knowledge of the class for my guild and because I had completed the Sharandar campaign on my characters on the live server.

I am coming to the conclusion that it will shortly be untenable to maintain all my characters at the state they currently are. I no longer expect to gain the highest value items from events that are structured like the Midsummer Festival or the Masquerade of Liars. Maybe that is the price of being an altaholic. I agree with Ambisinisters list in general and it would alleviate most of the frustrations with having multiple characters.
  • lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have 8 Lvl 60's and this is becoming a huge problem. It's not bad when you have only one character but it becomes a huge grind when you have more than 1. I wished they would make sharadar account linked it would make it so much more alt friendly and make people want to level more alts. Spending 350k just to unlock malabog's castle was insane to say the least. I also wished they made certain thing bind to account like weapons, companions, and mounts that way I could switch them around when I want cause I do love my nightmare but can only use it on my gf. But that's just my opinion. I would really love to see cryptic listen to this thread and make this game more alt friendly cause almost everyone I know has at least 2 to 3 characters.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    One suggestion, and I don't know if this would be possible to implement or not, would be to make the currency bag, and everything that goes in it, account shared. The only things that I can see this having issues with is the ardent and celestial coins. Other than that, I wouldn't mind sharing gold, AD, glory, and all my barter items between all my characters. At the very least, maybe making the items part of the currency bag account shared would be helpful. I do hope that at some point in time they make the game more friendly to alts. I currently have a level 60 GWF, TR, and DC, and I am working on leveling up a CW and GF also. And one more slot left for HR when those come out. Shared storage with account bound items would be SO incredibly helpful!
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kreatyve wrote: »
    One suggestion, and I don't know if this would be possible to implement or not, would be to make the currency bag, and everything that goes in it, account shared. The only things that I can see this having issues with is the ardent and celestial coins. Other than that, I wouldn't mind sharing gold, AD, glory, and all my barter items between all my characters. At the very least, maybe making the items part of the currency bag account shared would be helpful. I do hope that at some point in time they make the game more friendly to alts. I currently have a level 60 GWF, TR, and DC, and I am working on leveling up a CW and GF also. And one more slot left for HR when those come out. Shared storage with account bound items would be SO incredibly helpful!

Great idea except i don't think it should be a bag but the character bank itself. Would probably be easy to do and i wished currencies would be account not character. This would make buying bank slot much more valuable than they are now. It would decreases me having to send mail to myself as well as transfer all my AD which is just a inconvenience.

some great ideas

e113692b-5a34-4703-8483-ba6bb121e5bf_zps4d0dfe3f.jpg 08640def-cdc8-4ead-820c-6b88ef478a93_zps2718a513.jpg e10ac19a-7c69-4552-997d-1428690edc84_zps698250ea.jpg 8a690003-6036-4e70-ae4c-cba024dc6f7d_zps5d4a8e86.jpg
    Checkered Ravens
  • raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I have 6 alts now, 3 at level 60, and what I do (and am planning on doing when Shadowmantle hits) is just do the one daily "Battle for Sharendar" for sparks (go out, kill some powries, release the hippie energy, you're done) and the weekly "Arcane Resovoir". I've already farmed the needed currencies for the last boon for my DC and GWF, my CW which is my recent 60, is currently doing all the quests which takes me less than half an hour. I took note of what was needed to unlock every area, plus the boons and kept it in mind so that I'm not overdoing it. When Shadowmantle comes, I'll do the same thing, more than likely. Get everything mostly done on my main (DC) and then get the others up to par. I'm a casual player as well, so I get my breaks from NW as well.
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    8 level 60s here. The zen mounts are account wide, but other than that....yea the game is not very alt friendly.

And lets talk about bank slot unlocks....character specific...really? Bags...make them bop and account wide.
    Shared storage...mail system works, but would be a lot nicer to have an account bank without having to make a guild & buy bank tabs.
    Campaign unlocks boring as .... to run on a bunch of alts.

When the Sharandar expansion came out, I thought I would get all the unlocks for all the characters...that didn't last for long before I was too bored with the same quests to continue. I only unlocked all items on the main, and am finishing up a second for the next expansion.

And companions...that is annoying that they are character specific. I have a number of pets on various characters that I would never consider getting a second of, but would be nice if they ever saw the light of day by being on a char I played (account wide).
  • serengettiserengetti Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    Neverwinter is obviously not 'altoholics' friendly from the very beginning, since you have to pay real money (or exchange your AD for zen instead of using it to gear up your characters) to get more than 2 character slots.