test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free respec?

stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Do you get a free respec ever when leveling? I was thinking that you get one at lvl 30 for some reason. This true?

Any word if we'll be getting a respec when the new feats etc. get added? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No.

No.

Yes.
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I have always felt the game should give you a free respec on hitting lvl cap, 60, they send you a box of 'gifts' but these imo should include a respec token

Lvling up a new chararcter is all about learning the class and character, many choices of specs and abilitys, feats etc are usualy bassed on trial and error and as so, probably the majority of players when they do hit lvl 60 will now know alot of the choices for abilitys earlier on were wrong choices, added to this most abilitys you would use for lvl questing will not be the same you would use for end game dungeons and group content.

Before anybody says it, yes, i know there are guides dotted around the web, but everybody plays differently, these are only rough guides. and to be honest most players dont go looking for help and min maxing specs etc untill they have got to or near to 60, by then all your ealier choices you made while deciding if you enjoy and want to continue playing the game have already been made, and can not be changed , unless you PAY

This is why imo you should be given a free respec token on hitting lvl 60, at the moment as soon as you hit lvl 60 and knowing you made some unwise choices while lvling, not through your own fault but as part of the learning process you are given one choice, buy a respec token, which costs over 100k AD, which i am sorry , is unfair, were is a new lvl 60 going to get 100k as soon as they hit 60 ? apart fron having to buy Zen
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There are no free respecs when levelling.

If a patch comes out with major changes to a class then yes we get a free respec, from interviews and comments made by devs we can conclude that new Paragon Paths are classed as major changes so yes we will get a freespec when Module 2 launches.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have 3 rogues. What irritates me is some of the feats/powers descriptions don't tell you how long it lasts. I know this varies due to wisdom, but a flat value given would be nice.
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    stabbath wrote: »
    I have 3 rogues. What irritates me is some of the feats/powers descriptions don't tell you how long it lasts. I know this varies due to wisdom, but a flat value given would be nice.

Agree here, some of the feat and powers have pretty vague tooltips some dont realy give any idea at all how they work or which powers and feats work with which abilitys, it can be very missleading and you never know what they actually do until you put points in them, and then its too late to go back..... unless you pay.

An example is the CW's feat tree, in the heroic section there are 2 feats which grant more damage to AOE ability's but what it does not say is which abilitys, and most now know not all AOE abilitys do actualy benifit from these feats, although most players would presume ALL aoe abilitys would benifit, but in fact they dont, and even more frustrating is the fact that the abilitys that do benifit from these feats as changed a few times over the previous 6 months. also to add to that the changes that have been made to some class abilitys etc that have not even been listed in patch notes for all classes.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A number of the cleric's powers don't tell you how much damage they do.

If you play long enough, you'll get a free respec. I've gotten ones from the big patch around the live launch and from Feywild. Another will be given out when the next module launches. Otherwise they cost 300 zen.

One thing, it's best to plan out how you intend to respec your powers before you start the respec. Make notes about what you want to take again and be very careful. With the feats, you have to confirm them after you're done, but with powers, there's no going back. If you get to the end and find out you've missed something, it's too late to change it. If you can, transfer your character to the preview server where respecs are free. Play around with it until you like what you have, then make a note of everything. Then come back to the live server and follow your notes to avoid grief. If you don't go the preview route, just be very careful and make good notes.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    How do you join the preview server?
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's detailed on this page.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    sephirothkirksephirothkirk Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We'll get one with the Module 2 release. I'd recommend trying to follow a build (the forum is full of them and mmominds.com is a very good site) in your first try, unless you're willing to spend some dollars as soon as you hit lvl 60. Try looking for the skill tree calculator too on the internet, as you'll be able to have a bigger picture about synergies and skill damage potential.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Module 2 will include a Free Respec token for every character that exists at the time of Module 2's release. When there are major class changes, as what is coming in Module 2, free respecs will generally be given to existing characters. These free respecs to not stack at this time as they are intended to allow players who do not have a free respec the ability to respec when major class changes are made. There are no free respecs otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    One of my characters just hit 30 and I got notified about a respec and looked and I am able to do it.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    One of my characters just hit 30 and I got notified about a respec and looked and I am able to do it.
    . . . . . That's your ability to respec your Feats with Astral Diamonds. That's not the Free Respec that all characters got when Sharandar went live. The Free one and the Zen bought one respec your feats, powers and ability choices made while leveling and is shown on the Powers Tab. The one on the Feats Tab only respecs your Feats, nothing else. Characters made after Sharandar was already live did not get a Free Respec, only those that existed prior got the Free Respec.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . That's your ability to respec your Feats with Astral Diamonds. That's not the Free Respec that all characters got when Sharandar went live. The Free one and the Zen bought one respec your feats, powers and ability choices made while leveling and is shown on the Powers Tab. The one on the Feats Tab only respecs your Feats, nothing else. Characters made after Sharandar was already live did not get a Free Respec, only those that existed prior got the Free Respec.

It's on the powers menu. I can respec everything. It does not say buy a token. Anyway, this is an alt I rarely play. Maybe I created it before the expansion, and I have been able to respec all this time now, but just didn't notice til today.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's on the powers menu. I can respec everything. It does not say buy a token. Anyway, this is an alt I rarely play. Maybe I created it before the expansion, and I have been able to respec all this time now, but just didn't notice til today.

That is almost certainly what happened. You get the notification at level 30 about how to respec, which makes a lot of people think they have a freebie, but that's only if your character existed at a time when freebies were distributed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That is almost certainly what happened. You get the notification at level 30 about how to respec, which makes a lot of people think they have a freebie, but that's only if your character existed at a time when freebies were distributed.
    . . . . . ^ Exactly this. Thanks for detailing this much better than I did. Cheers!
  • Options
    mikadiosamikadiosa Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    noooooooooooooooooooo
    IGN: HeraGoddess
    "...When I Give, I Give Myself..."
  • Options
    crimsonangel90crimsonangel90 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is there any possibility to have another respec after trying the new paragons?I tried master of flame,and it's plain horrible.I know eventually I'll have to wip out my CC and buy a respec token (which are very casually discounted this week) but having a bit of support would be nice
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is there any possibility to have another respec after trying the new paragons?I tried master of flame,and it's plain horrible.I know eventually I'll have to wip out my CC and buy a respec token (which are very casually discounted this week) but having a bit of support would be nice

Always try builds you're not sure about on preview first. Infinite free respecs are currently disabled, but a copied character would have whatever they came in with.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    crimsonangel90crimsonangel90 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I totally will in the future XD thanks for the advice
  • Options
    grace4891grace4891 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Never got any free respec tokens on any of my chars made prior to launch of Module 2, and neither has a couple of other people I know. Something doesn't seem right here.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    they wont show up in your inventory. Youll need to go to your powers or feats page and click the respec character button in the lower left corner. You should have an option to use your free one.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's been an issue with free respecs - we're working on them! Please look here for updates.
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!