test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problem launching the game

Comments

• ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    terramak wrote: »
    Thanks again. We have a potential fix that we'll try to get to Preview early-mid next week.

We all hope, that it will be function. =(
    Great that you work on Saturday. =)
    Next week i have the time to test all the things out after the wonderful grind fest this week. ^^
  • madigelmadigel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pufy2010: I believe I tried to explain it to you in-game before you vanished.
    Neverwinter and Owlbear will generally hold the same version of the game because as I take it Owlbear is used to test it just before final release. If all goes well then soon after the patch or Module goes live.
    Mimic or NeverwinterPreview: Is like the name suggests a Preview or "Beta" server for new content to work out bugs and give a taste of whats to come.

I may be mistaken but that's how I understood the differences.

Clues are in the file naming on your computer:
    Neverwinter - Live
    Owlbear - Beta
    NeverwinterPreview - Playtest

As you can see with just this issue software testing is an incredibly complex issue because of all the slight differences between everyones computers from hardware configurations to how software is installed and uninstalled, maintenance and a ton of other changed that make it difficult for developers to predict how anything will handle in the "wild".
    A few different servers plus a good selection of testers helps a lot.
  • pufy2010pufy2010 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    madigel wrote: »
    pufy2010: I believe I tried to explain it to you in-game before you vanished.
    Neverwinter and Owlbear will generally hold the same version of the game because as I take it Owlbear is used to test it just before final release. If all goes well then soon after the patch or Module goes live.
    Mimic or NeverwinterPreview: Is like the name suggests a Preview or "Beta" server for new content to work out bugs and give a taste of whats to come.

I may be mistaken but that's how I understood the differences.

Clues are in the file naming on your computer:
    Neverwinter - Live
    Owlbear - Beta
    NeverwinterPreview - Playtest

As you can see with just this issue software testing is an incredibly complex issue because of all the slight differences between everyones computers from hardware configurations to how software is installed and uninstalled, maintenance and a ton of other changed that make it difficult for developers to predict how anything will handle in the "wild".
    A few different servers plus a good selection of testers helps a lot.

K thanks for reply.

Still i cant access neverwinter preview due the fact i have XP windows....
    My friend can play it (so maybe in the end...XP computers cant run Neverwinter preview...sucks)
  • friarjonfriarjon Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @terramak thanks! Hope it helps.

In the meantime I can confirm the previous "a12" patch of 200ish MB did not solve the issue for me either. The GameClient exe still stalls at 5MB just like the others.
    Knight of Guild Medieval
    guildmedieval.com
    edited November 2013
    duplicate post. don't see how to delete it.
    Knight of Guild Medieval
    guildmedieval.com
  • saolilsaolil Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just activated Preview for my account and successfully cloned two characters. Preview Shard had no issues patching, however I cannot launch. When I select the Preview shard, it will start to load, then never quite finish. I can still play on Neverwinter Shard just fine.
  • silentscream90silentscream90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't login in the live server and preview server. When i run the luncher i receive the error: Impossible update the luncher and then the luncher crash. I've tried:

1) run the luncher with admin privileges
    2) deactivate the firewall for few minutes
    3) start the game without use a luncher from the neverwinter folder

No one of these methods works.
  • madigelmadigel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't login in the live server and preview server. When i run the luncher i receive the error: Impossible update the luncher and then the luncher crash. I've tried:

1) run the luncher with admin privileges
    2) deactivate the firewall for few minutes
    3) start the game without use a luncher from the neverwinter folder

No one of these methods works.

Might want to start a new thread with this issue seeing as its different from what we have been experiencing.
  • dullsmiledullsmile Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hoping that patch comes thru today... Really want to try out the new class and class features. If it's a problem with XP only i'd like to know.
    edited November 2013
    It seems the problem isn't with XP itself but something related, one user has stated that he can play in XP but he regularly does a full system flash to clear out junk.
    So its still hard to say what it is exactly that's causing the issue.
  • bawkrubawkru Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it seems they have fixed this problem just servers down atm
    edited November 2013
    Patched: and fixed very little. Game loads to Neverwinter splash screen, then crashes and sends error report. Verified, took firewall down, etc etc... Nothing. Still can't try out anything on the preview server, haven't been able to open since the first patch over a week ago, very annoying. I like being able to test out my builds before I waste a respec on the live server. Hope they patch the patch-patch-patch and fix it this time.
  • cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    after latest patch game (preview) works fine :D
    edited November 2013
    dullsmile wrote: »
    Patched: and fixed very little. Game loads to Neverwinter splash screen, then crashes and sends error report. Verified, took firewall down, etc etc... Nothing. Still can't try out anything on the preview server, haven't been able to open since the first patch over a week ago, very annoying. I like being able to test out my builds before I waste a respec on the live server. Hope they patch the patch-patch-patch and fix it this time.

Your issue sounds different to what we were experiencing, you might want to try a fresh install by deleting the whole LiveTest folder
    edited November 2013
    until the patch, it was the same issue. now it doesn't load past the splash screen, delete+reinstall did not change it for me. Oh well, I'll just be happy the live server works for me.
    edited November 2013
    Fixed for me! Yeah i can play PTS. ^^
  • ctun1ctun1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cloud990pl wrote: »
    after latest patch game (preview) works fine :D

Amen,
    and big thanks to all people involved to creation of fix
    No One wrote it here, ... but we are happy for it ;)
    edited November 2013
    The latest patch seems to have fixed the problem for me as well. I was able to get onto the Mimic shard and mess around with the new enchanting system.

Thanks!
    Knight of Guild Medieval
    guildmedieval.com
  • mordeethmordeeth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For people, for whom the patch doesn't work:
    When the screen calibration screen appears try to accept it anyways, even if it's shown just for one-two seconds. For me it worked. :)
  • suishokotakasuishokotaka Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am also having a problem launching this, and I run Windows Vista Basic, AND I also try to go through the Arc Launcher.
  • jartriljartril Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still can't get the Preview shard to work for me, it goes through the Cryptic load page, then to the Neverwinter one, then all I get is a black screen with my in-game cursor. I have waited up to a half hour to see if it's just slow loading but it never seems to appear.

I run Win 7
  • noncomittalnoncomittal Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still can't get the preview shard to open for me either, win XP updated drivers etc. I get through the cryptic load screen as well, and have gotten past the neverwinter load screen, to JUST before the character selection screen, and then crashes. I was thinking about what might be causing this, I have no idea if this would matter, but I have transfered my character twice, once months ago and then again recently with upgraded gear and such.... I figured it would replace the old copy, but I haven't been able to log in and find out. Anyone know for certain about this?
  • capribratcapribrat Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I cant either and this stinks
  • dimsmiledimsmile Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also can't use preview, very annoying as there are some big changes coming and I'd like to be prepared. Really getting frustrated with so little feedback from the developers... They put out a "fix" that worked for many people but still leaves a fair number of us hanging, and no one seems to care. Good times.
  • terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    If you're getting crashes, some super useful information that may help us track it down is:
    • If there was a Cryptic Error popup with one of those forms you type in: What was the Error ID on that popup?
    • If there was a Windows popup that said the program stopped responding...
      • Does it give you the option to wait more? (It might be trying to do an initial load of all the shaders, which takes a long time)
      • Does it just end the program without giving you that option?
    • If it just closes without so much as a warning or notification...
      • Let us know! That's useful information in and of itself.
      • How does your RAM usage look? If you're at 99%-100% RAM usage, the error window may not have even been able to pop up.
        • It'd also be useful to know whether other RAM-intensive programs are running (e.g. painting programs, other games) or whether Neverwinter is the only RAM-intensive program at the time of the crash.

We totally want to help out with issues like these, but they're notoriously difficult to track down. Any little bit of help can get us much closer to finding solutions. :)
    edited November 2013
    terramak wrote: »
    If you're getting crashes, some super useful information that may help us track it down is:
    • If there was a Cryptic Error popup with one of those forms you type in: What was the Error ID on that popup?
    • If there was a Windows popup that said the program stopped responding...
      • Does it give you the option to wait more? (It might be trying to do an initial load of all the shaders, which takes a long time)
      • Does it just end the program without giving you that option?
    • If it just closes without so much as a warning or notification...
      • Let us know! That's useful information in and of itself.
      • How does your RAM usage look? If you're at 99%-100% RAM usage, the error window may not have even been able to pop up.
        • It'd also be useful to know whether other RAM-intensive programs are running (e.g. painting programs, other games) or whether Neverwinter is the only RAM-intensive program at the time of the crash.

We totally want to help out with issues like these, but they're notoriously difficult to track down. Any little bit of help can get us much closer to finding solutions. :)

Before you recode your BS crashing window it make no sense to spend the time to send anyone any information.
    First of all it blocked playing NW.
    Second sending information don't do it. 30min-2h i wait some times for that **** to send the information. If you don't have a 2GB information BS list to send, this is waiting time(i kill that sending, because it seem to never finish). My internet is over 16000, so that's not my fault that this don't function.
    Third sometimes if you cancel the window, it create a hidden task that make playing NW impossible until you kill that task.

So recode it or you never get any information about the crash from me. Can other people do. Im not wasting anymore my time for such a useless function.
    edited November 2013
    Terramak:

I'm so sorry! I didnt realize I hadn't supplied any info when I complained haha. Cryptic error message 27148106, CPU usage between 21-22% with GameClient using 255k-260k sustained for roughly four minutes before crash. Still no fix with the last patch either, I just got it this afternoon... Really frustrating :). Please respond, even if it's just an "I don't know, but we're looking" would pacify me.

Edit: By sustained, I mean that the game pauses on the neverwinter splash screen for roughly four minutes, task manager doesn't say the game isn't responding however, then it flashes as though the character screen is about to load, then crashes.
    edited November 2013
    Nice, five days and not even an "we're working on it". You could at least blow smoke up my backside, really annoying being unable to use the content taking up now 17gigs of space on my harddrive (between playtest and beta data)
  • naraofnebreseirnaraofnebreseir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I get no pop ups, just a black screen after the Neverwinter "splash" screen. I use Razor game booster as I don't like ARC, it lags my game experience.
    edited November 2013
    I understand I'm getting an okay game for free, but seriously? No response about an issue that 2500+ people have viewed, who knows how many are having the same problem, a bit ridiculous that NO ONE can be bothered to look into a now well known issue, what with two threads... Have tried uninstall/reinstall of whole game, and just the playtest portions, rolled back drivers, then updated all drivers, safe mode, etc. All i'm asking for is some smoke and mirrors really, I don't care if you have any idea what's wrong, just tell us you are working on it, at least give the illusion of listening to people with problems with your product.