test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, you have some money to spend on NW....

2»

Comments

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Ioun stone is worthless without the AD to actually make it worthwhile. Buy it with Zen and you're stuck with an expensive upgrade that would put you at a higher cost compared to another pet that would benefit you more at a cheaper price. Rank 7 runes alone will offset any benefit.

really? because even if you stuck r5 gems in it and minor grand items temporarily, it would still be a benefit to you since it's adding to your stats. people level up their stone/cat just like they do their own gear. it doesn't have to be r10 runestones and BiS gear all at once for it to be a benefit.

sheesh.
    edited November 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    I already said if someone was going to have multiple characters a pack was a better deal. I also said that if the player only wanted to have one character, it is cheaper to just buy the Stormraider and Ioun Stone directly.

Why buy a pack for $60 and then have to save up an additional ~300k AD to get a pet useful in all situations, if you only intend to have one character, when you can get a pet useful in all situations along with a good mount for $45.

I have several packs. The weapon and ring are nice for the first 15 levels to be sure, but you can pretty much sneeze and by the time you've recovered those levels are over. Many things in the packs just don't have lasting value.

The mounts are useful, but a person only needs so many mounts. The outfits can be useful, if your character doesn't happen to clip through the one that came with the pack. The AD is useful for anyone, but especially so for new players.

But, if you're on a budget, and only want to ever level one character, buying a Stormraider mount and Ioun Stone directly will give you one of the most useful pets in the game and a tier 3 mount for less money than a pack laced with filler items of questionable value.

the op didn't say they were on a budget. they said they had some money to spend. obviously what is of value to one person won't be to another. i bought the founder's pack and don't regret it at all. i've gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it and have used most things from it on every character.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Ioun stone is worthless without the AD to actually make it worthwhile. Buy it with Zen and you're stuck with an expensive upgrade that would put you at a higher cost compared to another pet that would benefit you more at a cheaper price. Rank 7 runes alone will offset any benefit.

Yeah, if you were going to play at lower levels, for a long, long time, this would be a good argument.

But, no player will do that.

Getting to level 60 in this game take very little time, and anything other than a buff pet will do you no good whatsoever when it is dead, which will be the majority of the time in high level group content.

Even a minimal buff is better than the zero benefit a dead attacking pet will give you. As players continue to face increasing challenges at time goes on at level 60 the combat pets offer an ever diminishing value, as they just die quicker and quicker, while the buff pets will offer an ever increasing value, due to the player equipping them better.

If one is looking to make minimal purchases, it is better to plan for the long term. Very little time is needed to get a character to 60. The vast majority of a character's life is at level 60, where buff pets are simply better and attacking ones have limited or no use in group combat at that time.
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    the op didn't say they were on a budget. they said they had some money to spend. obviously what is of value to one person won't be to another. i bought the founder's pack and don't regret it at all. i've gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it and have used most things from it on every character.

The OP asked which was the best way to allocate funds out of several listed choices. The only reason to choose the best way out of several to allocate funds to a game is if one is concerned about optimizing that allocation. Generally, those concerned about the best way to optimize fund allocation on a game are those with limited funds available, and thus wish to know the best bang they can get for their buck.

That each person values each thing differently is well known, but isn't all that related to offering advice on the most effective way to spend money on the game. People concerned about that usually want the best money value, not the best option for satisfying a non-monetary desire.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    The OP asked which was the best way to allocate funds out of several listed choices. The only reason to choose the best way out of several to allocate funds to a game is if one is concerned about optimizing that allocation. Generally, those concerned about the best way to optimize fund allocation on a game are those with limited funds available, and thus wish to know the best bang they can get for their buck.

That each person values each thing differently is well known, but isn't all that related to offering advice on the most effective way to spend money on the game. People concerned about that usually want the best money value, not the best option for satisfying a non-monetary desire.

Indeed. The OP mentioned one of the $60 packs specifically, so we can assume that $60 is the limit. Going by that, here's what I'd get:

> $25 for the T3 Stormrider horse.
    > $7 for the account-wide green cleric from the IGN promo (http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/neverwinter). *Make sure to cancel before the 1st month is up so you don't get charged again.
    > $10 for 4 extra character slots - so you can try each current class plus the Hunter Ranger. Also good so you can grind profession tasks for more ADs and so on. More character slots also increase the value of those account-wide mounts and companions.

The above adds up to $42. You can then devote the extra $18 toward Zen or whatever else you want...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    If you invest in this game then the following will get you thru 60 days before worrying about anything else.

Buy 3 greater bags of holding.
    Buy Stone.

Total $50.

You will either still be with us or you spent 50 bucks on a game had a good time and left.

Your first character can earn enough AD to purchase 2 additional character slots.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    in your assumptions, people hit level 60 and then buy into BiS gear with high level enchants so they can go and rapeface in pvp when there are probably more people that hit level 60, work on their professions, do daily quests, work on their campaign boons, do dungeons and skirmishes... and then maybe do some pvp.

this game is not pvp centric. hasn't been so far and from the looks of it, it never will be.

as for the game not deserving a dime... you should be glad that other people are supporting it financially. that's the great thing about a f2p game... you get to play the game for free BECAUSE other people are spending their money. if you and others like you keep trying to convince people otherwise, you won't have a game to play eventually. or is that part of your plan?

No no, you misread my words, I never assumed what you're saying there.

I only said that as long as there is the possibility (i.e. it doesn't even have to happen in reality, it's just important to me that the game offers this venue) for people to hit max level and gear up BiS in the next 10 minutes without doing any ingame work for their gear...

... yes, such a game doesn't deserve a dime (IMO), even if it's the best game ever, just because of the financial model.

As for supporting the game financially, I'd be EXTREMELY HAPPY to do so with a subscription, that would set everybody on equal footing and all gear will be worked for in the game, without any "convenient" shortcuts. Yeah I know it will never happen, this game is hardly polished enough for the devs to ask for a subscription.
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Indeed. The OP mentioned one of the $60 packs specifically, so we can assume that $60 is the limit. Going by that, here's what I'd get:

> $7 for the account-wide green cleric from the IGN promo (http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/neverwinter). *Make sure to cancel before the 1st month is up so you don't get charged again.
    > $10 for 4 extra character slots - so you can try each current class plus the Hunter Ranger. Also good so you can grind profession tasks for more ADs and so on. More character slots also increase the value of those account-wide mounts and companions.

The above adds up to $42. You can then devote the extra $18 toward Zen or whatever else you want...

Yours is the best suggestion of the lot. It allows for the player to try out every class to not only discover which he enjoys best but get a feel for how all the classes work in general which will help him in his team play.

If he likes variety in he will have the character slots available to support many characters. If he wants to focus on just one he can still use the others for AD/Ward support for the one he does play.

The only thing I would suggest differently is to for the player to hold onto the extra $18, and then when he chooses the character he likes best add another $2 to purchase an Ioun Stone of Allure for his favourite.

If he does that, for a total of $62 he will get a much better collection of in game benefits than any of the pre-made packs the company currently offers for just $2 extra,
  • baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Happy for you guys, happy for you.

As long as one person can hit 60, invest money in Zen, buy AD, then hit the AH and in the next 10 minutes he will be fully equipped with BiS and Perfects...

... this game doesn't deserve a dime IMO (even though the combat system is good and the game is decent overall).

Lol perfects?

Ha ha, yup 12 rank 10's and 1 perfect armor+weapon spots filled.

Do you have any comprehension of how much that person would need to spend to get that?

If you use normal methods its going to be a few thousands dollars.

Oh and you can't have bis weapons when you just hit 60 sorry, it's impossible (I hope some will understand why, it's clear you won't)

So yeh, the average player who has perfect gear spends that much on this game lol.
  • ankabird1ankabird1 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rortie wrote: »
    Do you:-
    a) Buy a Guardian or Knight pack.
    b) Buy Zen to get a decent Mount and acquire companions with Zen, AD or game-play.
    c) Prepare for the possibility of not ending up with much and gamble on lockboxes.
    d) spend on Profession packs/items.

Answer for you :)

Buy knight packs etc which makes you vip or smt like that, have a title on forum get packs items(mount,companion etc)

For a decent mount do dungeons and farm t2 gear then sell them for ad and save ad to buy a mount.

No need to buy zen because about of payment(dollars) to zen for (my personal idea) is low.Buy zen with exchange of ad on game.

No need to open boxes unless you are rich! Chance of purple drops extremly rare(maybe %1 or lower i think)

About profession buy green assets only for not spending ''18hours xlarge time'' to get a ''tier 3 person''

Unless you gonna make shirts and pants with purple gemmed ones no need to spend money on profession back.(ı spend 3k zen on them and didnt get lillend by event sadly so i bought it with ad)

Decision is yours ofc :rolleyes:
  • xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

This is good advice. A point to mention is that with the promo green cleric, you can use her immediately once you get to Protector's Enclave for the first time at level 4 - no waiting for level 16. It saves huge costs on healing pots which you can then sell or pass to another alt. And the tiny damage clerics do is actually useful at lower levels - plus she will be at higher levels at 16 :)
    It also means that when you do the companion task and get your first free companion, sell it for AD on the auction house.

I also have the green Drow Mercenary companion obtained for $7 from a Polish CD-Action magazine (thanks Marius) which is also account wide and hella fun at low levels. Still use him in Sharandar. You might find online people selling the codes, there were a few selling but not sure if they still are.

You could also skip paying the $10 for character slots and grind the AD in-game to exchange for Zen to buy extra slots. Long way round but makes use of ingame currency to get one of the best value Zen store items.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    baddobb1 wrote: »
    Lol perfects?

Ha ha, yup 12 rank 10's and 1 perfect armor+weapon spots filled.

Do you have any comprehension of how much that person would need to spend to get that?

If you use normal methods its going to be a few thousands dollars.

Oh and you can't have bis weapons when you just hit 60 sorry, it's impossible (I hope some will understand why, it's clear you won't)

So yeh, the average player who has perfect gear spends that much on this game lol.

You're obviously new to the game. Ancients are almost just as good as Fomorians. I know many people that never ever do anything else than PvP and have BiS on many chars. Need I say more? And very few bother with R10s, when GTEs are still BiS for PvP for 4 out of 5 classes.

And OMG, you actually put alll your argumentation on the fact that you cannot have the slightest upgrade in the game right away. So what? You can still buy the fragments and speed the profession immediately to 20 with Zen to AD.

The only thing good in this is that you have to work for the off hand. This is awesome and how things should work 100%.

Maybe a few thousand USD means much to you, it doesn't mean anything to one that has a lot of them.
    edited November 2013
    xenotorch wrote: »
    This is good advice. A point to mention is that with the promo green cleric, you can use her immediately once you get to Protector's Enclave for the first time at level 4 - no waiting for level 16. It saves huge costs on healing pots which you can then sell or pass to another alt. And the tiny damage clerics do is actually useful at lower levels - plus she will be at higher levels at 16 :)
    It also means that when you do the companion task and get your first free companion, sell it for AD on the auction house.

I also have the green Drow Mercenary companion obtained for $7 from a Polish CD-Action magazine (thanks Marius) which is also account wide and hella fun at low levels. Still use him in Sharandar. You might find online people selling the codes, there were a few selling but not sure if they still are.

You could also skip paying the $10 for character slots and grind the AD in-game to exchange for Zen to buy extra slots. Long way round but makes use of ingame currency to get one of the best value Zen store items.

the problem with this vs getting a pack is you're swapping out an epic companion for a green one. if you want a healing companion, the free one works just as well as the "faithful initiate" and i would know. i have used both. and you're given tons of healing pots as drops as well as from the adventurer's chest that you get every 10 levels or so. so you won't be spending much (if any at all) on healing pots anyway.

and having six character slots all at once is overkill. having three is more than enough as it is.

it should also be noted that you cannot buy $18 worth of zen. you can only buy zen in increments of $5, $10, $20, etc...
  • nearlydiamondnearlydiamond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    in your assumptions, people hit level 60 and then buy into BiS gear with high level enchants so they can go and rapeface in pvp when there are probably more people that hit level 60, work on their professions, do daily quests, work on their campaign boons, do dungeons and skirmishes... and then maybe do some pvp.

this game is not pvp centric. hasn't been so far and from the looks of it, it never will be.

as for the game not deserving a dime... you should be glad that other people are supporting it financially. that's the great thing about a f2p game... you get to play the game for free BECAUSE other people are spending their money. if you and others like you keep trying to convince people otherwise, you won't have a game to play eventually. or is that part of your plan?

Bravo sir I totally agree. I have bought both packs for the pets and the mounts and I don't regret it at all. I have numerous character slots and characters and while there are still things I hope will be added/will improve I still think this game is great fun to play, and the upcoming patch looks to be very exciting.

Debs need to live and they need money for that. I think it's important to support if you enjoy something.
    edited November 2013
    the problem with this vs getting a pack is you're swapping out an epic companion for a green one. if you want a healing companion, the free one works just as well as the "faithful initiate" and i would know. i have used both. and you're given tons of healing pots as drops as well as from the adventurer's chest that you get every 10 levels or so. so you won't be spending much (if any at all) on healing pots anyway.

and having six character slots all at once is overkill. having three is more than enough as it is.

it should also be noted that you cannot buy $18 worth of zen. you can only buy zen in increments of $5, $10, $20, etc...

Having purple companions that quickly die at end level group play is no better than having green companions that quickly die at end level, so that isn't a major loss (unless you want the upcoming active bonus a pack pet gives).

Having six character slots isn't overkill. If nothing else it doubles the AD generation of three character slots. If the player wishes to play a variety of characters he will have that opportunity as well.