test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, you have some money to spend on NW....

rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Do you:-
a) Buy a Guardian or Knight pack.
b) Buy Zen to get a decent Mount and acquire companions with Zen, AD or game-play.
c) Prepare for the possibility of not ending up with much and gamble on lockboxes.
d) spend on Profession packs/items.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
Post edited by rortie on

Comments

• sigwald01sigwald01 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For sure a good mount if you don't have one and if your toon is at or near lvl60 some zen to trade for AD and start thinking about epic weapons, armor & enchants at the auction house perhaps
    Volaticum Letum
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would spend it on Zen, because I have all the packs (except for the $20 ones - don't really want anything that's not account-wide). There's usually something in the store on sale that I want, and if not, the sales change weekly. If I didn't have the packs, I'd probably want the Knight of the Feywild pack first.
  • craeh1craeh1 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Buy Zen and then... no idea. See what comming.

Bought some Zens for about 25$ a few weeks ago, got the Yeth Hound from that, was on offering (wanted to buy it anyway).
    Sold some Zens for ADs on good exchange, also doing it the other way round.

The "big" game packs... Well I never paid a high amount on any game... Got a few collectors here, but got them lucky on low price :D

Think I will spend another 25$ again someday...
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to play the right way!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rortie wrote: »
    b) Buy Zen to get a decent Mount and acquire companions with Zen, AD or game-play.
    c) Prepare for the possibility of not ending up with much and gamble on lockboxes.

Buy the pack that gives me the cute portal hound :D
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think my SO would throw a fit if I spent more money on NW.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a new player that has never bought anything before I would try some lock boxes... Seems to draw a better chance at a win to entice you to do more purchasing, or maybe I just got very lucky on my 7th key ever used on my first Zen purchase and received my Owlbear.
    Right now I would try the profession pack, chance to drop an epic asset and for a limited time the lilend companion...(or is that over with now?)
    Although I just tried and the only epic I gotz was a dragon egg :mad: out of 3 packs.... approx. $9. I guess I did also get of course, a blue Artificier. I was hoping for the lilend or an epic asset in the least.

IMO one of the best investments is the extra character slots, so you can roll alts and learn how the other classes works. Makes you a better pvp and all around player. Having zen just to trade in to AD is not a bad idea if you are good in the AH.
  • meangean88meangean88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Choose option B
    GM of Order of the Raven
  • roadkill68roadkill68 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Buy character slots.

The additional characters can be used to get more astral diamonds, which can then be used to get zen and help buy more of the items on your list.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't buy ****, keep your money, you gonna regret your investment later on. Trust me.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i would purchase a pack because the pack will give ALL of your characters a fast mount and an epic companion. no other companions are account wide unless you get them as a promo (like the faithful initiate). plus a pack will give you a bunch of extra stuff including AD, an extra character slot... definitely worth it.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Don't buy ****, keep your money, you gonna regret your investment later on. Trust me.

Do not presume to speak for me. I do not regret a single dollar that I have put into this game. Even if the game was canceled next month (never to return) I would not regret a single purchase. I have reaped plenty of enjoyment from this game and consider the money I have put in (about 150.00 or so) money well spent.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Do not presume to speak for me. I do not regret a single dollar that I have put into this game. Even if the game was canceled next month (never to return) I would not regret a single purchase. I have reaped plenty of enjoyment from this game and consider the money I have put in (about 150.00 or so) money well spent.

I've been playing NWO since early beta and spent $25 on a purple horse.IMO this is the best money spent here since it applies to all your chars., current and future. Everything else you can buy for AD in game.

Even if they cancelled the game tomorrow I've already gotten my $25 worth for 6 months of play. Back in the day I played Air Warrior on GEnie for $6/hr. Yes children, $6 US American Real Money Dollars per Hour. So, yeah. Plus of course I played Everquest and Warcraft for $15/mo or whatever...
  • kungsarmekungsarme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14
    edited November 2013
    I played MP Battletech and Gemstone on GEnie back in the day. 6 an hour plus one of the guys would run a 4 person conference call for group chat. Those bills were just horrendous.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »

Happy for you guys, happy for you.

As long as one person can hit 60, invest money in Zen, buy AD, then hit the AH and in the next 10 minutes he will be fully equipped with BiS and Perfects...

... this game doesn't deserve a dime IMO (even though the combat system is good and the game is decent overall).
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There are a lot of factors that would determine how I'd spend my money. For instance:

1. Do you plan on making a lot of characters? If so, then an account-wide T3 mount and companion, (like the IGN promo cleric or from one of the packs), would be best.

2. Do you plan on only making 1 or 2 characters, and focusing entirely on them? If so, buy Zen and convert to ADs to get some epic gear as soon as you hit 60. A single Nightmare, Stag, or Owlbear may be cheaper if you only care about gearing for 1 character. The same goes for specific companions, like an augment pet or such.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited November 2013
    I would wait till the next module and see what that pack offers. I am not saying that to be snarky I just think the next module has some cool potential for that particular pack.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    There are a lot of factors that would determine how I'd spend my money. For instance:

1. Do you plan on making a lot of characters? If so, then an account-wide T3 mount and companion, (like the IGN promo cleric or from one of the packs), would be best.

2. Do you plan on only making 1 or 2 characters, and focusing entirely on them? If so, buy Zen and convert to ADs to get some epic gear as soon as you hit 60. A single Nightmare, Stag, or Owlbear may be cheaper if you only care about gearing for 1 character. The same goes for specific companions, like an augment pet or such.

Sadly this isn't the case. There is a 2500 Zen rank 3 mount in the cash shop. Right now that will run you about 950,000 AD. The cheapest rank 3 mount on the AH at the moment is over a million AD. For a single character the difference isn't much though. But I don't know anyone that doesn't at least use both character slots. That means that not only is the Zen shop mount cheaper now, but in the long run its an even better deal.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If you are looking for advice, then it would be beneficial to know how much you are looking to spend and what you want to get out of it. Are you looking for useful stuff you can use. Or something to sell.

For me, if I had the money to waste... I'd buy the $200 HOTN pack. Just for the spider mount. Its the only thing from any of the current packs that I really want. And I can't get it with AD/Zen. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have an extra $200 anytime soon.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Best bang for the buck, is buy a pack. Account wide Epic mount, Account wide Epic companion, extra character slot, a healthy supply of AD, and more.

Lockboxes should ONLY be opened when you have the extra AD laying around and you don't mind trading it in to purchase keys. Purchasing ZEN for keys to open lockboxes is a foolish choice.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013

This is a good choice if you plan to have multiple characters, as the more characters you have the more benefit the pack will give you, as each one gets a mount and pet.

This is a good choice if you plan to have one character, as it will be cheaper to buy a mount and pet for the character as compared to buying one of the packs.

This is a bad choice as you will spend more on the boxes to get what you want than just buying what you want. Lockboxes are only good if there are many things within you'd be happy to get instead of just buying them in the hope of dropping the rarest thing. Then there is a good chance you will find some value in most of the things you end up with.

This can end out with some returns on investment over time, but it will take some time before it will become profitable in game, and up until then it will just be money out with little to show for it in game.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Sadly this isn't the case. There is a 2500 Zen rank 3 mount in the cash shop. Right now that will run you about 950,000 AD. The cheapest rank 3 mount on the AH at the moment is over a million AD. For a single character the difference isn't much though. But I don't know anyone that doesn't at least use both character slots. That means that not only is the Zen shop mount cheaper now, but in the long run its an even better deal.

Thank you for the correction. I hadn't checked the individual T3 prices in some time, so now I know... :confused:
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    This is a good choice if you plan to have one character, as it will be cheaper to buy a mount and pet for the character as compared to buying one of the packs.

Not really. The Zen cost of just purchasing a decent mount and companion will cost you the same as you would have spent on a pack (within a couple of dollars). But with the pack you will get both the mount and companion, and have a nice healthy supply of AD to go along with it.
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Buy the pack that gives me the cute portal hound :D

Cool! That's the one pack I have bought so far as one of my characters looks so good with that funky doggie. But now I'm enjoying the game enough to get into it more and fancy more goodies. Thanks for all tips so far. I have mostly written off lockboxes already.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
    edited November 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Happy for you guys, happy for you.

As long as one person can hit 60, invest money in Zen, buy AD, then hit the AH and in the next 10 minutes he will be fully equipped with BiS and Perfects...

... this game doesn't deserve a dime IMO (even though the combat system is good and the game is decent overall).

in your assumptions, people hit level 60 and then buy into BiS gear with high level enchants so they can go and rapeface in pvp when there are probably more people that hit level 60, work on their professions, do daily quests, work on their campaign boons, do dungeons and skirmishes... and then maybe do some pvp.

this game is not pvp centric. hasn't been so far and from the looks of it, it never will be.

as for the game not deserving a dime... you should be glad that other people are supporting it financially. that's the great thing about a f2p game... you get to play the game for free BECAUSE other people are spending their money. if you and others like you keep trying to convince people otherwise, you won't have a game to play eventually. or is that part of your plan?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Go with a $60 pack. The Guardian of Neverwinter one is my preference. The wolf companion is IMO better than the slyph. Aesthetically, the horse fits better with more characters than the unicorn. The starter weapon makes new characters progress easier. The only real advantage that the Feywild pack has is the fashion set, but if you care, sooner or later another event will come along that will give you one for free.

I don't know what current Zen/AD exchange rates are, the 600k will either get you an Ioun Stone or go a long way towards one.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited November 2013
    Not really. The Zen cost of just purchasing a decent mount and companion will cost you the same as you would have spent on a pack (within a couple of dollars). But with the pack you will get both the mount and companion, and have a nice healthy supply of AD to go along with it.

The Stormraider costs $25. An Ioun Stone of Allure costs $20.

If you plan on only having one character you get a mount equivalent to any in the packs and a much better pet than is offered in any of the packs for $15 less than the pack. Also, if the player bought the pack he will eventually have to get a Stone or a Cat if he wants to use a pet in high level group play, making the pack option more expensive by that amount as well.

So, I would say it is a good choice, really, if a player only wants one character.
    edited November 2013
    pitshade wrote: »
    Go with a $60 pack. The Guardian of Neverwinter one is my preference. The wolf companion is IMO better than the slyph. Aesthetically, the horse fits better with more characters than the unicorn. The starter weapon makes new characters progress easier. The only real advantage that the Feywild pack has is the fashion set, but if you care, sooner or later another event will come along that will give you one for free.

I don't know what current Zen/AD exchange rates are, the 600k will either get you an Ioun Stone or go a long way towards one.

I have found the Dire Wolf better with melee characters and the Sylph better for ranged characters, so my recommendation for a pack would depend on what type of character the player most wishes to play.

The horse VS unicorn is mainly a matter of taste. However, some outfits work better with one over the other. For example, the spikes on the barding on the horse will clip through cloaks. This isn't a problem with the unicorn.
    edited November 2013

If you plan on only having one character you get a mount equivalent to any in the packs and a much better pet than is offered in any of the packs for $15 less than the pack. Also, if the player bought the pack he will eventually have to get a Stone or a Cat if he wants to use a pet in high level group play, making the pack option more expensive by that amount as well.

So, I would say it is a good choice, really, if a player only wants one character.

if you got the pack, you could save the 600k AD and put it towards a cat or a stone. cats are now under 900k so... wouldn't take much to earn ~300k AD.

plus it would give you an additional character slot so you'd have 3 instead of 2. and you'd have a mount and a companion on all three characters. with the guardian pack, you'd have the greycloak weapon and the luminous ring to aid you through your first 10-15 levels.

of course, you would know this because you got some nice stuff with your HotN pack.
    edited November 2013

The Ioun stone is worthless without the AD to actually make it worthwhile. Buy it with Zen and you're stuck with an expensive upgrade that would put you at a higher cost compared to another pet that would benefit you more at a cheaper price. Rank 7 runes alone will offset any benefit.
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    if you got the pack, you could save the 600k AD and put it towards a cat or a stone. cats are now under 900k so... wouldn't take much to earn ~300k AD.

plus it would give you an additional character slot so you'd have 3 instead of 2. and you'd have a mount and a companion on all three characters. with the guardian pack, you'd have the greycloak weapon and the luminous ring to aid you through your first 10-15 levels.

of course, you would know this because you got some nice stuff with your HotN pack.

I already said if someone was going to have multiple characters a pack was a better deal. I also said that if the player only wanted to have one character, it is cheaper to just buy the Stormraider and Ioun Stone directly.

Why buy a pack for $60 and then have to save up an additional ~300k AD to get a pet useful in all situations, if you only intend to have one character, when you can get a pet useful in all situations along with a good mount for $45.

I have several packs. The weapon and ring are nice for the first 15 levels to be sure, but you can pretty much sneeze and by the time you've recovered those levels are over. Many things in the packs just don't have lasting value.

The mounts are useful, but a person only needs so many mounts. The outfits can be useful, if your character doesn't happen to clip through the one that came with the pack. The AD is useful for anyone, but especially so for new players.

But, if you're on a budget, and only want to ever level one character, buying a Stormraider mount and Ioun Stone directly will give you one of the most useful pets in the game and a tier 3 mount for less money than a pack laced with filler items of questionable value.