test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How BoP Effected the Game?

mlgdonutmlgdonut Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Could somebody tell me how they destroyed the game with BoP?
I haven't played in a while.
Post edited by mlgdonut on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Simple: they haven't.

The only thing which is BoP is that which comes out of the chest. Previously the economy was so flooded with items that everythign other than a handful of T2 items were worthless. This meant that players who reached level sixty could get the best gear with Astral Diamonds the moment they reached level sixty and then...well...they either farmed and further flooded the market or got bored and left.

The game was saved, for the time being, due to the BoP change.

Those who are complaining are simply not considering the grander picture. They say "I am not getting rewarded for dungeon anymore *cry*" without taking into consideration most of the items had been farmed to hell so much that they were worth less than they can currently grant through salvaging.
    Being able to sell items doesn't make them rewarding if they are worth jack diddly-squat anyway.

However BoP was only the first change to stabilize the end game progression for the time being. They are looking into ways to improve the system further to be more rewarding. Perhaps even reworking it completely from what Andy Valasquez stated.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only thing which is BoP is that which comes out of the chest. Previously the economy was so flooded with items that everythign other than a handful of T2 items were worthless. This meant that players who reached level sixty could get the best gear with Astral Diamonds the moment they reached level sixty and then...well...they either farmed and further flooded the market or got bored and left.

As someone who did this (bought gear for level 60 characters) I honestly didn't notice much of a difference. I mean the prices on Beholder before and after BOP didn't change all that much. At least not for the items I bought. They went up a little, but not hugely. In fact, since the merge many of them have gone back down.

Either way, I agree... BOP wasn't the armageddon some thought it was going to be. Probably because they left a trickle of items that aren't BOP from the bosses.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . Even though I am totally against Binding items in any MMO, I don't mind occasional binding items. However, in my opinion, there are far too many things that Bind on Pickup. Many of these things need to be replaced with a Bind to Account on Pickup mechanic, allow them to be mailed to your own account (or add an Account Bank) and then have them Bind to the Character when equipped or used. I do agree though, the BoP change was hardly the end of the world.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Well, let's see...

The "junk" drops which consist of necklaces and rings went from 1-3K each for basically every drop to 3K minimum for Tier 1 and 6K minimum if it is Tier 2.
    Not much but the maximum for most rings and necklace drops were 3K outside of the Ancient Rings and Necks.

Every Single Tier 2 drop has gone up 20K at least. And I do mean every single one.
    The set items went from being 100K for a full set of abasically any Tier 2 Gear to around 100K a piece.

The price of gauntlets has gone up from about 50K at most before the BoP change to 200K at least for almost any piece.

I am curious on how expensive the gear was on beholder because I wouldn't call a 500% increase on basically every items I have ever looked into a small increase.

However, I have and always will agree BtA would be better for DD Chest drops. But BoE = bad, bad, bad. That can come back when they nerf the drop rates to where they should be.
    (guaranteed purple loot shouldn't be in the game to begin with. Take out the guarantees and add some valuable filler like AD)
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ignore the posts saying BOP is good. All it has done is make many people no longer want to run T2 dungeons because the chances of getting items to sell dropped dramatically, and on the rare occasion when you do get an item of value, you can price it ridiculously high because not many people farm T2 dungeons anymore. Now it can cost millions of AD to get your T2 set armor when it used to cost in many cases ten times less. The low drop rate is detrimental to T2 dungeon replayability, and the high cost makes the items only accessible to people who buy zen and exchange it for AD. They destroyed the AH economy with that change. The economy used to have very cheap items, or a high item to AD ratio, but it balanced itself perfectly fine with siphons such as high rank enchantments and expensive things like mounts or augment pets. As it is now, farming T2 gives you approximately one in ten or less chance at a valuable item to sell in the AH (I prefer the term "rip off a p2w player"), this low frequency of drops is a great deterrent to doing T2 dungeons as opposed to CN/MC. Being someone who farms T2 still even though I despise what it has done to the economy, I can tell you the availability of items in the AH makes it look like a ghost town compared to the thriving economy it had before. Truly laughable people think that BoP is good here, probably all the sane people have left.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Low Prices for top end gear because the economy is flooded with the gear is not "thriving" by any definition.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Every Single Tier 2 drop has gone up 20K at least. And I do mean every single one.
    The set items went from being 100K for a full set of abasically any Tier 2 Gear to around 100K a piece.
    The off sets were about 100K, the 'best' sets were never 100K though. At least not on Beholder.
    I am curious on how expensive the gear was on beholder because I wouldn't call a 500% increase on basically every items I have ever looked into a small increase.
    The main stuff I was looking for at the time of the change was the ancient weapons from Castle Never. Before BOP and the Merge the mainhand for a CW was often on the AH with the cheapest being well over a million AD. More likely you'd find the cheapest one up for sale at 1.5 million AD. The offhand was often at 800KAD and up. Every now and then you'd see a cheaper one show up, but they were bought up pretty quick. Even niche stuff like one of the hirmnir set pieces (frozen) were 150KAD or higher. Its on the AH right now for 73K.

The T2 sets followed a similar pattern. Even though they were the ones affected by the DD chest change. The more expensive sets stayed about the same. It was only the cheap ones that went up.

*I don't have the numbers on the T2 sets. Frankly it didn't matter if they went up 20K AD a piece. The price drop from the CN boss drops more than made up for it a hundred times over.*
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    There are other forces at play with the Castle Never Weapons.

Some of the demand simply went away after Fury of the Feywild. The people who go for BiS items now mainly go for Malabogs items and those who take a more casual approach may still find Malabogs Castle Farming easier, more enjoyable and/or more rewarding than trying to do Castle Never or farming for the AD to purchase Castle Never weapons.

All in all I think CN simply got farmed a lot by the elitist players after the BoP change and the demand for those items just aren't what it used to be and thus the prices dropped.

As a side note the only dungeon I haven't completed is CN but that's because the group I run with doesn't want to stack CW's. We've beat everythign else in the game consistently without stacking CW's and I'm sure we'll beat CN without stacking CW's too.

The thing is, to the elitst players who are BiS gear stacking 2-3 CW's CN is easy. When you do that and are decently geared CN is likely one of the easiest dungeons in the game and thus ideal to farm to the players who are most likely to farm dungeons anyway.
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The only thing it changed is the motivation to run dungeons where you got everything out of it already. But that has nothing to do with BoP but with the limits on drops. As I stated in one other thread lately - an epic boss should drop dozens of stuff. Just imagine a boss would drop with a 0,01 drop chance a unique mount (even BoP). People would have motivation again to run a dungeon, help guildies, help new 60s to finish a dungeon. There must be more rewards. Even seasonal stuff could be done like adding a certain drop to the loot table of one dungeon boss within a 2 weeks period or whatever.

If the drops are got enough so you want to keep them for yourself anyway, it does not matter if they are BoP (better BoA).
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    mlgdonut wrote: »
    Could somebody tell me how they destroyed the game with BoP?
    I haven't played in a while.

Can you imagine how low the prices of T2 if you get to choose the BiS from your chest and having the item unbound?

With the amount of DD farmers, we would see a 100k for T2. so you wouldn't be making money either... prices would be too low that it would be more worthy to just salvage the item.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The people who go for BiS items now mainly go for Malabogs items and those who take a more casual approach may still find Malabogs Castle Farming easier, more enjoyable and/or more rewarding than trying to do Castle Never or farming for the AD to purchase Castle Never weapons.
    True, but... The CN ancient sets are still the best that can be purchased. Even if you leveled up weaponsmithing/artificing and bought the parts needed to craft the mainhand. You'd still have to run MC to get the offhand. Otherwise you're probably better of using the CN stuff for the set bonus.
    All in all I think CN simply got farmed a lot by the elitist players after the BoP change and the demand for those items just aren't what it used to be and thus the prices dropped.

^This. With BOP on the DD chests, I think a lot of people switched to farming CN. That drove the price on ancient gear down. This was predicted by several in the thread where they announced the changes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Agreed yokihiro. Been saying it for months too. :p

runebane,
    It was, but not for the reason they thought.

They thought CN would be the only dungeon worth farming because they thought drops would be worthless.
    However the farming they do is purely because of ease due to the stacking of CW's. They find it easier, not necessarily more rewarding.

Also, the offhand drops aren't very rare or hard to get. I have salvaged a few and while buying has some advantage I don't think most players who care about BiS outright hate doing a bit of farming now and again nor do casual players normally rush to buying something rather than taking the chance to farm it themselves granted that it is a reasonable chance to farm.

For instance many drops we get in my guild get sold depending on what it is. There will always be a chance to get another chest but the drops are a fair bit rarer and more worth selling. ;)
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also, the offhand drops aren't very rare or hard to get.
    If you're not a DC/GWF, then sure it's not TOO hard to get. Otherwise it's a pain, especially if you don't realise that your best chance of getting your off hand for those classes is from the 3rd boss. Completely fair for them having to work the hardest while other classes can do easier and shorter 1/3 or 2/3 runs. It's hard to find people actually caring about doing 3/3 runs since you take the time to beat him, and whoopdiedoo you get a blue (most of the time). Congrats and wasting a lot of time that cost you health pots and injury kits for those that struggle more with it for a reward that doesn't cover the cost of the right.

The whole of the sharandar has been a fail. It was buggy on release, drop rates are appalling, off hands are BoP and you can't even mail them to yourself, and the dailies were made to be incredibly repetitive. I hope the next one doesn't disappoint.
  • Options
    yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The issue i have with this, is that items normally sold for AD, are now salvaged for ROUGH ad.

They have a habit of doing whatever they can to halt any form of wealth building that doesnt require you buying Zen. The Salvaging system should not be converting to rough AD. Atleast before, i could generate some AD instantly running dungeons all day long.
  • Options
    yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    that entire dungeon is a joke. Them having upper end tier content dropping blues, was a slap in the face to every player out there.
    frishter wrote: »
    If you're not a DC/GWF, then sure it's not TOO hard to get. Otherwise it's a pain, especially if you don't realise that your best chance of getting your off hand for those classes is from the 3rd boss. Completely fair for them having to work the hardest while other classes can do easier and shorter 1/3 or 2/3 runs. It's hard to find people actually caring about doing 3/3 runs since you take the time to beat him, and whoopdiedoo you get a blue (most of the time). Congrats and wasting a lot of time that cost you health pots and injury kits for those that struggle more with it for a reward that doesn't cover the cost of the right.

The whole of the sharandar has been a fail. It was buggy on release, drop rates are appalling, off hands are BoP and you can't even mail them to yourself, and the dailies were made to be incredibly repetitive. I hope the next one doesn't disappoint.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Even though I am totally against Binding items in any MMO...

Huh, interesting.

I guess it depends on what you're used to..... my first "real" MMO was WoW (vanilla through Cataclysm, with long breaks in between expansions). So, for me, having things bind - as well as having the majority of dungeon/raid "boss drops" be BoP - is the "normal" way these things work, and this idea of having nigh-everything unbound and sellable is strange. :)

(which, needless to say, makes me really confused by all the apocalyptic doom posts about things being BoP. But, then, I've never been an auction-wheeler-dealer in any MMO I've played. /shrug)
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, I always thought that the "hardcore" MMOers wanted stuff to be BoP.... because then, it meant that anyone who was wearing those great dungeon & boss drops had earned it.... "look upon me, Peons, I have the fabled T2.5 gear. Bow before me, unworthy scum!" ;)

(and the ever popular, post-raid-nerf, "Now my gear is worthless! :mad: Other people have it!" :rolleyes:)
  • Options
    mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you can get in static groups that are willing to roll greed rather than need the person that gets the roll can still sell the item on the AH individually or for the collective group.
    People are still farming CN heavily so there isn't much change aside from some price increases, but not enough to complain about.
    As others have commented BoP has made more of a negative impact on cosmetic items deemed BoP. It's an issue I hope they address.
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I understand that the DD chest items are BoP( I belive it is a problem only because of how poorly designed dungeons are, no need to elaborate it in this thread, also the fact that we have "old" players BiS geared when it was easier than now, and the "new" ones that need to struggle), heck, I could also understand seal& seal items are, but why do I get BoP redcap skin that is not even my class in the MotH chest? Not to mention Wakueen event things?
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    The CN ancient sets are still the best that can be purchased.

I don't understand this.

As a CW, the prices are still very high for these, and I just don't get it. Without trying my Recovery is way past the soft cap where it gives any noticeable returns, and other than slightly higher damage and Power, Regen is only slightly useful and Deflection is worthless.

The Orb of the Champion Mage (from Gauntlgrym) and the Shadow Weaver talisman seem to be a more useful combination of stats to me, at the cost of a little less power and damage. Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?
  • Options
    ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Well, let's see...

The "junk" drops which consist of necklaces and rings went from 1-3K each for basically every drop to 3K minimum for Tier 1 and 6K minimum if it is Tier 2.
    Not much but the maximum for most rings and necklace drops were 3K outside of the Ancient Rings and Necks.

The price of gauntlets has gone up from about 50K at most before the BoP change to 200K at least for almost any piece.

However, I have and always will agree BtA would be better for DD Chest drops. But BoE = bad, bad, bad. That can come back when they nerf the drop rates to where they should be.
    (guaranteed purple loot shouldn't be in the game to begin with. Take out the guarantees and add some valuable filler like AD)

Since BOP I have gotten ONE t2 item that wasn't BOP and yes it went for 40K, but the stuff I was getting out of the chest before BOP was going for 50-150K because it was the stuff people wanted. maybe junk drops have gone up a bit, but they don't nearly make up the difference. I still run 1-3 DDs a day out of boredom, but I won't put a single dime into the zen store since this change.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If they had made Salvage Refined AD that might have boosted the economy. Because the people would have been able to afford a few more items from AH, making demand go up, but they thought people would just buy AD, doesn't look like it worked.
  • Options
    xnghtmrxxnghtmrx Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, you need some gear to start working for your gear now. Theres the contradiction... You need to do pvp to get your glory set. But if you pvp with all green and blue gear, you'll probably get your a** kicked given that theres no GS balance on 60s pvp. Theres some sort of balance on low lvl pvp given that pvp matches are between levels (10-19, 20-29, etc...). Now that the Glory set is BoP, the chances to be on a team where your teammates leave the party 30 seconds after the game started are really high. The drop rates are extremly low now, even on DD chests. I've been working on my HV set for my CW for a long time now. Doing T2 dungeons with Glory Gear. I did SP 10 times in a week getting only rings and necklaces from the DD chest and bosses. We even 3 man the last boss. So its really frustrating when you do same dungeon one and over again and you get a 3k Rough AD ring or necklace... BTW HV cap (the piece you can get from SP) is 1mill-2mill on AH atm, clearly a sample of the actual drop rates... I think BoP in DD chests is not that bad (BoA would be better) but the drop rates are extremly low on most T2 dungeons...
  • Options
    thrufuthrufu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think what really ruined part of the game was the exploits and because of that getting the DD Chest was a trivial stuff.
    Lots of people could end dungeons easily, and sometimes, the easiest part of the game was the end boss, giving secure loot to who doesn't have the skills and GS to get there. I think the bugs were fixed very slowly, giving time to massive DD farming.
    I don't understand how can be possible for a rogue to farm the first bosses continuously in CN without getting hit (and im a rogue).

I agree that bid to account would be much more healthy for players to experiment new characters, and enjoy different views of the game.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ott0maddux wrote: »
    If they had made Salvage Refined AD that might have boosted the economy. Because the people would have been able to afford a few more items from AH, making demand go up, but they thought people would just buy AD, doesn't look like it worked.

rough AD was recently injected into the community thanks to the waukeen coin event. now go take a look at the astral diamond exchange rate. with more people actually hitting the 24k a day cap, more AD is filtering into the economy. if the refine limit was increased, the rate to change AD to zen would be through the roof... more than it is now. that's what happens when you inject more money into an economy.
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The only aspect to BoP I'm not happy with is that you cannot get stuff for alts. I mostly play cleric as that's what the team needs. There's nothing to gain for me from T1s and several T2s but I go along anyway. I usually come out with no personal reward for my time spent.

Bigger issues revolve around the dreadful dungeon queuing system, the nature of the inadequacies of the Delve mechanic and issues such as one person leaving a group before the end of a dungeon messes it up for the other four people in the group.

BoP itself is not much of an issue overall other than the irritation mentioned above. I'd rather see the chest rewards be a token or some such, even if its just to buy fluff.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I don't understand this.

As a CW, the prices are still very high for these, and I just don't get it. Without trying my Recovery is way past the soft cap where it gives any noticeable returns, and other than slightly higher damage and Power, Regen is only slightly useful and Deflection is worthless.

The Orb of the Champion Mage (from Gauntlgrym) and the Shadow Weaver talisman seem to be a more useful combination of stats to me, at the cost of a little less power and damage. Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?

You're "wrong" because in the current BiS gear, having HV+Ancients/Fomorians will allow you to be at 3100-ish Recovery without the need to enchant it anywhere. Hence, you can get more ArP/Crit/Power from your enchants.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    After thoughtful considerations, I think BoP is acceptable. The only issue I see is that the Need/Greed system prevents you from ever getting T2 weapons/shields for your other chars. Yes, you can still get boss BoE drops but for the top weapons/off-hand, the probability is so low that you will likely never get it, even if you run dungeons 10 times per day.

At this point, I would favor an option for party to USE GREED ONLY, so that if any ancient weapon drops (the only stuff really worth any AD), all the players have the same chance to get it.

The problem has really become, how can I ever get a top weapon/off-hand (the one with sets of 2 stats) for my other characters' classes without spending about 1M AD for each (about $20 equivalent each)? This is ridiculous, especially now that Dracolich is "practically" impossible to kill.

Suggestion: add a "small"probability to get a T2 weapon/off-hand/Armor Pieces for other classes in your chest...

Or MAKE THEM Bound To Account
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    what BoP did concerning gearing up my characters is make me play those characters to earn their gear. granted, being a part of a guild with a decently stocked up guild bank can be a contributing factor, but for the most part, i had to play those characters. all of my level 60 characters have T2 gear. not necessarily BiS gear... but that will take time. and if i don't play, it'll take longer.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    rough AD was recently injected into the community thanks to the waukeen coin event. now go take a look at the astral diamond exchange rate. with more people actually hitting the 24k a day cap, more AD is filtering into the economy. if the refine limit was increased, the rate to change AD to zen would be through the roof... more than it is now. that's what happens when you inject more money into an economy.

Whenever some amount of currency is injected into an economy there is always ripples, but when an economy is changed it stabilizes. Not everyone would be rushing to purchase just zen if you put more AD in the economy. They would also be able to afford more Items from the AH making demand for such items increase, making prices of such items increase, making those selling those items more profit, giving players more incentive to procure those items. This was the rationale given for the mistake that was BOP. This is why governments always want to expand their economies.