test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some words for Devs.

ggyuggyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in PvE Discussion
So I'm here to talk about Neverwinter basic Gameplay Which From my point of view is Pure Pve Game style...
Every Week I see update Which also about Foundry or Dung.....

So Let's talk for real,Online games isn't all about Pve It about Pvp more than pve really,
Why you think people Come to online games ??
Maybe to Face other people and pvp them and have online fun ???
Or maybe about know who is better about this or this by pvp ??
If people want pve Game ,I think they could play Offline games which have no pvp Just pve against Pc Not human
While Online games about Pvp (Player Vs Player) So I think they here to Vs against Human not Pc ? Right ?

So Please Give us some ideas for pvp ,Improve it ,Open wide pvp lands for people....
Give more good reward for Pvp stuff not Just normal stupid purple gear that so weak to be used ,In every online game Pvp gear know as the best between all other gears but here no,
So Please Improve pvp ,You got nice classes ,Graphic ,Races and Real Ability for Combat
So why waste all of that in just pve stuff that can be found in offline games ?
KILLERDDDD
Post edited by ggyu on

Comments

• Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I am not here to PvP. I am here to play with some like minded individuals that think killing dragons is a fun activity to do as a group. Yes playing against another person is more challenging, and if you beat them you can say you are better than them. However that is not my idea of fun. Having a conversation while going thru a dungeon is much more enjoyable for me than PvP, however I will not say that if all you want to do is PvP stick to CoD on your Playstation or Xbox. If that is how you get your enjoyment you are more than welcome to share the limitless internet with me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I am not here to PvP. I am here to play with some like minded individuals that think killing dragons is a fun activity to do as a group. Yes playing against another person is more challenging, and if you beat them you can say you are better than them. However that is not my idea of fun. Having a conversation while going thru a dungeon is much more enjoyable for me than PvP, however I will not say that if all you want to do is PvP stick to CoD on your Playstation or Xbox. If that is how you get your enjoyment you are more than welcome to share the limitless internet with me.

And so you enjoy pure pve game ??
    My point is why they care about pve more than pvp by many ways,Why can't they put balance between them ??
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It is very difficult to balance content between PvE and PvP. While I don't have access to the accounting ledgers, I would be willing to bet a large chunk of money is earned from PvE players. If PvE players did not contribute to the bottom line, PvE games would have died off a long time ago. Just as you cannot risk alienating the PvP crowd, the same can be said for the PvE crowd. If they paid more attention to PvP than they did to PvE someone would make a post identical to yours, just replace PvP with PvE in the sentences. Development will follow the money, and what gets people in the door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It is very difficult to balance content between PvE and PvP. While I don't have access to the accounting ledgers, I would be willing to bet a large chunk of money is earned from PvE players. If PvE players did not contribute to the bottom line, PvE games would have died off a long time ago. Just as you cannot risk alienating the PvP crowd, the same can be said for the PvE crowd. If they paid more attention to PvP than they did to PvE someone would make a post identical to yours, just replace PvP with PvE in the sentences. Development will follow the money, and what gets people in the door.

So your point is ?? You Like And enjoy 20vs20 and 5vs5 mount race pvp ?? really do you ?
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I am here to PvE not PvP, i only play PvP to get diamonds and hate doing it even for that small amount of time (because the balance is terribad). The games composition is 70% PvE and 30% PvP yet nearly every balance patch is focused around PvP balance (which funnily enough doesn't fix most of the stunlocking/regening/30k crit builds from being OP), and subsequently stuffs up classes roles in endgame PvE. I really hope this trend does not continue and the game does not devolve into a PvP fest which would make me fear for the games future and you will certainly have lost a loyal customer.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'm more to argue that PvP, and the constant drive to be better and have better gear than your opponent, not only drives zen purchases (super fast mounts, hero of the north packs, keys), but also drives content (more dungeons run as T2 gear is a necessity, more grinding done as enchants are a requirement, etc).

Even the developers have admitted that the PvP playerbase was larger and more adamant then they at first assumed. This is probably largely to blame on their very simple and fun combat system, which no other game out there comes close to. It's like the FPS of RPG's, with more streamlined access to abilities and powers.

As well, PvP content is self-replicating. Do a dungeon, run a mission, max a character ... your done. It has finality. Achieving the top of a leaderboard is a temporary event, due to someone else always fighting to take you off that top. Constant content.

Truth be told, each generation fewer and fewer games are being made to support pure PvE gameplay, because the draw of the PvP and co-op crowd, and very specifically the PvP crowd, is an easy market to tap into and profit off of. MLG and pro-sport have really pulled the stopper out on gamers, showing that games can be fun to watch and competitive, without being for 'nerds'. And I honestly feel that, with this combat system, Neverwinter could easily have an MLG standing.

PvP is no longer a sideline for college brats. It's no longer relegated to the realm of shooters. The two biggest, most profitable and most popular games of the last 30 years are League of Legends and StarCraft.

On an aside: Op, your English is terrible. Very hard to understand, and I'm not saying this to slight you, as I'm sure it's not your first language. Secondly, the game needs more PvP content. As someone who enjoys PvP and this game, more content will just multiply it's lifespan to me.

Almost every PvP balance would have eventually happened in a PvE only game. It just takes longer to come down the pike, due to the team-nature of co-op play. GWF's surviving too long, CW's doing too much damage, TR's being perma-stealthed, GF's having too much CC ... even PvE players notice these things and gripe. The GF is mad at the GWF for tanking with almost no effort, etc, etc. PvP just shines a spotlight on the event faster.

Because I have played co-op PvE-only games. And the calls for nerfs and buffs and adjustments of other classes is still one of the primary topics on the forums.

So while I'm aware, Ordensmarschall, that you resent the PvP playerbase for affecting the PvE side of your game; and while I'll admit that the changes that have happened were largely called for by the PvP crowd that you seem to despise and ridicule on each post you make; I still stand behind the argument that they would have occurred eventually anyway, just in a slower timeframe.

You can either hate and detest and feel jealously for the other side of the playerbase (since the vast majority of us play both PvE and PvP in this game, I'd hazard to bet on) like our poor op here, whenever they get new content and you don't, or you can look at it as if ALL of us get something new and fresh with each update.

New PvP maps and content will improve the game. It will bring back lost players and new players alike. It'll fill dungeon and skirmish queue's faster and revitalize the market. And it'll bring money to Cryptic. This, to me, is a winning scenario.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    pvp is what is profitable/popular and the way of the future despite it's current implementation

Sorry for the miss quote lobo0084 but i just put the main points in there as it was a looong post ;)

I definitely can't deny what you say is true and it is an increasing trend in other games which leads me to the conclusion that i am a dying breed as i was led to believe Neverwinter was heavily PvE focused at the point of sale as it were. I guess i should start investing in some single player games then if this is the new norm for mmo's :(
  • Options
    masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    I'm actually often proud of Cryptic for continuing to make most of their games more PVE then PVP. I'm a Champions player, over here because I want to see what's up. I'm also an old pen and paper D&D player, and well, I have to give my loyalty sooner or later right?

PvP is honestly a game killer. And no, this is not a shot at PvPers. You guys are fine, and you have a full out clique of your own. But many paid for power ups are aimed at you. I'm thinking of lock boxes especially, but you understand what I mean. And the problem is, the PvP crowd has no real staying power. Again, not an offense to them, but they don't. See, when you're only coming on to fight some other guys, you'll go to whichever game offers it. Furthermore, if you're not doing so well, you're likely to complain (game's lame. Game's pay to win. Game's broken. Ect) and then take your ball and go home.

That's why all the throw away items swamp games these days. They are for you. PWE wants you to drop twenty bucks, win a few fights, then go home. They don't expect you to stick around.

BUT? There's no real money to be made by PvE either. These players are here for RP and for story. They'll go through a dungeon with a stick in hand if they can. They don't need the +5 Holy Avenger, and aren't likely to drop sixty bucks to get it. (Example, btw, don't know if the Holy Avenger's really in game. Yet.)

So then, why is PvP the game killer if PvE isn't paying? Well, because of the popularity of pandering to a group of players that are really getting McDonald-ed out the door, MMOs have begun to build little content. Instead? Lock boxes. A PvPer will play the adventure that's offered, sure, but it doesn't need to be extravegant. They're just as likely to grind slimes anyways since it's only about Lupping enough to beat another player on the boards.

ANYways. That's what I think. A game like Neverwinter is geared towards PvE, and it should be. Dungeons and Dragons was never about beating the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of the guy beside you (unless you were playing minis) and considering that the RPers are the target market of a D&D game, Neverwinter should be true to that. Hopefully it stays that way.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In response to the OP - people play PvE becuase PvE in groups is lots of fun. Chatting away, perhaps even doing a bit of mild rp, while plowing through mobs, is lots of fun.

I'm always in two minds about the PvP thing. On the one hand, while not a PvP fanatic, I do enjoy it, and I do support it being in MMOs. On the other hand, I see balancing games from a PvP point of view as trouble for PvE, specifically for debuffing and CC.

It's often said that PvP reveals balance problems that wouldn't be obvious otherwise, because mobs don't complain, and to some extent I agree with that, particularly when it comes to OP-ness damage-wise. But mobs not complaining is part of the reason you can have some real fun in PvE that you can't in PvP - most specifically with CC and debuffing.

The problem is, real people hate being turned into pussies, and hate having control taken away from them, so when games get balanced around PvP, all the fun you can have in PvE by turning mobs into pussies and CC-ing them from here to Sunday, goes out the window.

IOW, PvP orientation in game balancing is death for CC/debuffing in PvE.

And that, I hate.

I don't know the solution, apart from the obvious one of making abilities behave somewhat differently in PvE from PvP (especially toning down CC and debuffing in a PvP context, or providing sufficient active counters that players can use against strong CC or debuffing). But developers so seldom seem willing to go down that route - presumably because a) it causes another balancing nightmare and loads of extra work, and b) the feedback from PvP-ers becomes less relevant to help balancing PvE.

But ultimately, that's got to be the solution to stop cool tricks from being taken away from PvE-ers, while at the same time keeping PvP dynamic and exciting for real players.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I neither despise nor ridicule PvPers. I just believe PvE and PvP should be kept separate, so that changes for one do not impact the other. (I do despise and ridicule cheaters, and exploiters.) Many people enjoy PvP and that is their prerogative. I for one do not enjoy PvP as is my prerogative. Personally I think PvP has only a very limited place in a game based on D&D classes. I can see having someone who is playing an evil character being pursued by good characters in order to stop whatever diabolical plan they have leading to PvP. I can also see having 1v1 duels between 2 mages, fighters, clerics, etc; as practice, to experiment with powers, or just to see which player is better/more skilled with a class. There are 2 things I do not like about PvP. One is when for sake of PvP balance my PvE experience is negatively effected, just as I don't think PvE balance should impact PvP. The other is the homogenization of classes that is always called for. A 20th level fighter is not meant to be the equal of a 20th level mage, unless he has some divine relic/artifact that was extremely hard to acquire. A 20th level rogue is not meant to be the equal of a 20th level fighter, without some luck and very skillful play. On the other hand a 20th level fighter should not be so invincible that he can wade across the battlefield without being challenged by even three other characters, unless of course the player just has a fearsome reputation that other players do not wish to up against.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The sad part about paper-and-pen DnD, is that it has always been about player-versus-player. The enemy player is what made the game work, gave it function and interactivity. A good DM had to do more than just pull a module out of Dragons Magazine. They had to be more than some cliche goblin with pre-scripted lines. A good GM had to involve the players on his table against an opponent, one that thought for itself, acted on it's own, and was capable of surprises.

If the only thing your DM brought to the table was creative map layout, I feel for you guys.

Plus, one of the first things I did in DnD was pit my Elf against my friends Fighter, while the DM managed the fight. If there had been more of us, I'm sure we could have managed team versus team. No character died, of course, nor was it considered continuity. It was just for fun.

Since DnD went to pre-scripted dungeons and video game coding. NPC's became more than just expendable characters for a DM. They now mean nothing. Goblins by the thousands, scripted AI sequences. Never a surprise or a unique experience. Best I've seen in story and enticing characters in recent years was Morrowind, and to some extent, Oblivion/Skyrim. Beyond those, the best I've seen with character involvement was actually Halo: Reach. As railroad as it was, I really got into my Spartan.

But even then, PvE in video games is limited. It's a nature of the beast. Nothing you can really do about it without attempting to go the way of Matrix Online under Monolith and hiring actors to play the part of important story character (of which I participated as the character Ruze, on Proxy server). Without the interaction of a human mind, the content itself cannot possibly give the same feel and vibe as what it's based on.

Which is why, in the end, the best that this game can provide is either PvP, or in a far end, Foundry.

Nothing comes closer to the challenge and atmosphere of paper-and-pen DnD than PvP in this game.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    edited October 2013
    As an aside, in case some of you have preconcieved notions of me based on the argument of my post, I never really saw myself as a PvPer. My characters all have detailed biographies and background. I grunt and emote with the best of them. I've always been a roleplayer first and foremost, playing years of DnD (nowadays it's mostly virtual tabletop, sure, till I get a new DM over to my house), then MMO after MMO.

It's only in the last few years that I've come to see that PvP drives games to higher successes. I agree with some that it brings flaws, but micro-transactions started and are the boon of non-pvp games such as Farmville and such. Until they find a was to constantly evolve and shape content as PvP can, they've got a hard row to hoe with such limited scripting.

Good PvE content requires far more work, an amazing amount of ingenuity and drive, and an unspeakable amount of creativity. And as users, that content will be gone through by most of the 'PvE population' (again, including many that do both happily) in less than a months time.

Good PvP content is simply easier, and often provides greater rewards when user interactivity and longevity of subject matter are taken into account.

• Options
    masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    @Lobo0084

I see what you're saying, and don't disagree per se. But I think I see it a bit different.

First off, the scripting, NPCs, all of that? Yeah, if your story is being carried by them alone you need some work. You being Devs, obviously. I've actually been surprised at how many NPCs talk to me with actual vocal words to begin with, but yeah, it's not enough to carry it full.

When I look at a PvE game though, the story is only a slight backdrop. You'll find that many of the folks who are supporters of PvE are, like you, role players. Even a casual, half assed group of RPers need little support from the NPCs or the story. It's about the chat from player to player. It's the play between players that makes it work.

And I'll be honest with everyone, that interaction is why PvE on an MMO is much different that just playing a solo game at home. Also, what sort of argument is that? It came up earlier, not from anyone recent, but really? You can say that about any part of an MMO. Like crafting? Why not just play Bejeweled solo. Like PvE? Plug in Final Fantasy. Like PvP? Have you played Street Fighter?

The point of an MMO is to get together with others and play. Some folk like PvP and some don't. I don't, but mostly because I find the 'player interaction' to be little more than a challenge to fight, followed by either "GF" if you lose, or some guy trolling you for an hour with more challenges if you beat him the first time.

But I digress. PvE in an MMO like Neverwinter is about players playing together. The content should be good enough to keep interest, but it doesn't have to be Shakespear to work. In the end, it just has to be good enough to get two to five toons in the door, and they'll take it from there.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Quite true PnP D&D is about the players vs the DM. A good DM can bring the NPCs to life and really use the skills and abilities of them to make the adventure challenging and exciting. A good group though plays their characters cooperatively as to balance out each others weaknesses and play to each others strengths to overcome the foe. From what I read in the forum posts PvPers want everything equalized so that there are really no material differences between the classes with no real strengths or weaknesses. A 1st level fighter should crush a 1st level mage, but by the time they reach 20th level, the fighter by the end of the duel should be a pile of ash waiting to be swept up(unless he has the aforementioned artifact). In PnP I have had what could be called PvP, where we fought against another PC for one reason or the other, but that has been rare, and that PC was never balanced to make it fair one way or the other. I can see the Gauntylgrim zone up to a point, there is a reason for it, and in a way it advances a plot line. The PvP here, what is the point of it? Why are you beating up on each other? What plot is being advanced? What story is being written?

As I said before, people enjoy PvP, and they should be able to play that if they so desire so I am not advocating it to be eliminated, just keep the two play styles separate, so that each of us can play in the manner we enjoy.

(As an aside, try the Witcher series of PC games for some really good PvE play, blows Skyrim out of the water in the choices/consequences department.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A 20th level fighter is not meant to be the equal of a 20th level mage, unless he has some divine relic/artifact that was extremely hard to acquire. A 20th level rogue is not meant to be the equal of a 20th level fighter, without some luck and very skillful play. On the other hand a 20th level fighter should not be so invincible that he can wade across the battlefield without being challenged by even three other characters, unless of course the player just has a fearsome reputation that other players do not wish to up against.

Exactly this. By trying to balance everything out for the sake of pvp, abilities and damage amounts of various classes are twisted up until it becomes completely unrealistic, just for the sake that for example a cleric can be as dangerous as a 2m high half orc barbarian wielding a 2 hand axe. RPG isnt all about combat, sadly most modern games like this one are created around this subject. A powerful wizard wouldnt even step into the arena, why should he, if he could take out the other team with a wink of his hand?

But the game is meant also for ppl who dont understand what pnp and good story driven rpg is, thats why we have this situation here ;)
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Maybe you right that D&D fun with pve more than pvp ,But my point is Either way Mobs will use skills ,Dodge,attack or run around is nice work from devs,But fact is Mobs will never replace human who can develop himself By time in pvp ,change his style ,thing while pvp in the end Mobs will make and repeat same Things they do every time,Myself i hate solid Things Whose don't change at all or keep the same way they act like mobs while player can develop themselves so they can fit The other players and be better which make more challenge Which change the routine of Pve style which is solid enough to be bored of
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    ggyu wrote: »
    So I'm here to talk about Neverwinter basic Gameplay Which From my point of view is Pure Pve Game style...

So Let's talk for real,Online games isn't all about Pve It about Pvp more than pve really,
    If people want pve Game ,I think they could play Offline games which have no pvp Just pve against Pc Not human
    While Online games about Pvp (Player Vs Player) So I think they here to Vs against Human not Pc ? Right ?

So Please Give us some ideas for pvp ,Improve it ,Open wide pvp lands for people....
    Give more good reward for Pvp stuff not Just normal stupid purple gear that so weak to be used ,In every online game Pvp gear know as the best between all other gears but here no,
    So Please Improve pvp ,You got nice classes ,Graphic ,Races and Real Ability for Combat
    . . . . . I also am not here to PvP. I do not play MMORPG's to PvP. I do not play Dungeons & Dragons to PvP. I play MMORPGs and D&D to PvE. I play MMOFPS and FPS games to PvP. I couldn't care any less about PvP in Neverwinter. Never-the-less, I do not mind that some enjoy PvP in an RPG. I just will never agree that PvP should have any priority in an RPG game.

. . . . . Things that will help PvP however, would be more types of PvP zones like Gauntlegrym as well as more 5v5 and even adding 10vs10 battles. Also, more emphasis on tactics and less dps races.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I didn't want PvP in Neverwinter. Part of me still doesn't.
    However Neverwinter is the first time I have ever enjoyed PvP in an MMO. Ever.

PvPers seem to have this natural tendancy to think that their PoV is the only PoV, though. Every MMO I have played the large majority of my friends refuse to ever PvP under any circumstance. In NW it's no different. Yet this doesn't stop PvPers from somewhow thinking that PvE should be tossed out the window because as far as they can tell they are the world.

The truth is hardcore PvPers make up the smallest minority of players in most every MMO. It varies from MMO to MMO but studies have shown that only 10% of most MMO playerbases are heavy into PvP (almost only log in to PvP). There are varying scales from then on out up to those who never PvP. Oddly enough this number is generally around 30% compared to the generally 10% of players who only PvP.

Obviously if an MMO is designed to be heavy into PvP then PvPers will naturally play the game and PvE players will avoid it. However the average MMO is a PvE game with PvP being just one possible activity. Neverwinter is a PvE MMO.

And yet, somehow, PvPers seem to think everybody and their mothers PvP all the time and that those who don't PvP are the black sheep. :p
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Completely disagree to the op. Neverwinter is not designed around PVP. It is designed around the unique dungeon experience. If you want to play PVP focussed games play GW2 or whatever. At it is now Neverwinter in the current state is lightyears away being a fun, challenging and balanced PVP game. They could make a total 180 degrees turn and put endless effort into this game to make this game fit for PVP. At the moment the PVP is a big joke - and I can't laugh about this joke to be honest. There are so many flaws (TRs dealing damage and don't unstealth, Regeneration ticking while in combat, endless CC without immunities, one-shot kills, a DC that is pathetic in PVP...) that you really should look for another game if you are a die hard MMO PVP player.

They should instead focus on PVE, fix bugs and bring more content, more dungeons, more quests. guild features, more items...
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    There are so many flaws (TRs dealing damage and don't unstealth, Regeneration ticking whie in combat, endless CC without immunities) that you really should look for another game if you are a die hard MMO PVP player.

I have to disagree with those assessments.

If you have ever played League of Legends, which is one of the most popular PvP Games on the market ATM, all of those things exist there.

No argument about needing balance but if anything the largest problem facing Neverwinter's PvP is the matchmaking and power and gear combinations. Stealth not being removed upon attack, regeneration ticking in combat (um, never saw a game that this didn't work), and CC without immunities all exist in League of Legends and most other non-FPS PvP game. :p

But despite that, I do agree that Neverwitner is not and will not be a PvP-centric game.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    PvP wouldn't make any sense in this game. You can't really push players off edges most of the times, you can't skip them to get to the next respawn camp, you can't bug them inside textures, you can't kill them safely from a safe spot so that they don't move at all, and you can't make them suicide their characters. Players in this game would be completely lost! :p

Jokes apart, i'm all for some more pvp content, as long as there are some new dungeons constantly added to the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I also am not here to PvP. I do not play MMORPG's to PvP. I do not play Dungeons & Dragons to PvP. I play MMORPGs and D&D to PvE. I play MMOFPS and FPS games to PvP. I couldn't care any less about PvP in Neverwinter. Never-the-less, I do not mind that some enjoy PvP in an RPG. I just will never agree that PvP should have any priority in an RPG game.

You Right ?? Shall i Play shoot game for pvp ?? Why can't i enjoy magic and unique game type MMORPG Example: Forsaken World and Jade dynasty Both got there unique Pvp style and they MMORPG Right ??
    I play Neverwinter for it unique Combat style Which depend on dodge,range ,short range and run ,So can't it get MMORPG pvp open wide maps? for Pvpers ?
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    PvP wouldn't make any sense in this game. You can't really push players off edges most of the times, you can't skip them to get to the next respawn camp, you can't bug them inside textures, you can't kill them safely from a safe spot so that they don't move at all, and you can't make them suicide their characters. Players in this game would be completely lost! :p

Jokes apart, i'm all for some more pvp content, as long as there are some new dungeons constantly added to the game.

Fact lol You can't use bugs like dungs
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    [/QUOTE][/COLOR]. . . . . Things that will help PvP however, would be more types of PvP zones like Gauntlegrym as well as more 5v5 and even adding 10vs10 battles. Also, more emphasis on tactics and less dps races.[/QUOTE]

You call 5vs5 or Gauntlegrym Pvp ??
    Pfff First :That called race mount really ,Second : I thin kit would be nice if they make open wide maps for open pvp and maybe 10vs10 In wide map too not like closed one for 5vs5 which not fit 10 player at all
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Zebular is an old timer D&D player. He's avidly against PvP in Neverwinter just for the pure fact this is a D&D game and a good half of the D&D players feel PvP has no place in any D&D game.

Despite that, read your opening post. You got quite defensive that Zeb even hinted he doesn't even want PvP in the game. How do you think he feels reading a post like your opening post which basically belittled his gameplay style? ;)

You may play online games to PvP, that's fine.
    But don't confuse why you play with the end all be all reason to play.
    For every person who would like additional PvP content there is another who couldn't care less if they took PvP out of the game entirely. If you push your playstyle out on others as the only acceptable course of action then expect defensive responses.

Asking for additional PvP content is one thing. Insulting PvE and claiming a superior opinion is another.
    In fact the best way for this discussion to continue would be to take the focus off of how superior PvP is to how you would like additional PvP content. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Zebular is an old timer D&D player. He's avidly against PvP in Neverwinter just for the pure fact this is a D&D game and a good half of the D&D players feel PvP has no place in any D&D game.

Despite that, read your opening post. You got quite defensive that Zeb even hinted he doesn't even want PvP in the game. How do you think he feels reading a post like your opening post which basically belittled his gameplay style? ;)

You may play online games to PvP, that's fine.
    But don't confuse why you play with the end all be all reason to play.
    For every person who would like additional PvP content there is another who couldn't care less if they took PvP out of the game entirely. If you push your playstyle out on others as the only acceptable course of action then expect defensive responses.

Asking for additional PvP content is one thing. Insulting PvE and claiming a superior opinion is another.
    In fact the best way for this discussion to continue would be to take the focus off of how superior PvP is to how you would like additional PvP content. :D

You said half game ?? What about other half can't they have pvp ?? and even like 10% of game want pvp can't they get what they ask for ?
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    You Right ?? Shall i Play shoot game for pvp ?? Why can't i enjoy magic and unique game type MMORPG Example: Forsaken World and Jade dynasty Both got there unique Pvp style and they MMORPG Right ??
    I play Neverwinter for it unique Combat style Which depend on dodge,range ,short range and run ,So can't it get MMORPG pvp open wide maps? for Pvpers ?
    ggyu wrote:
    zebular wrote:
    . . . . . Things that will help PvP however, would be more types of PvP zones like Gauntlegrym as well as more 5v5 and even adding 10vs10 battles. Also, more emphasis on tactics and less dps races.

You call 5vs5 or Gauntlegrym Pvp ??
    Pfff First :That called race mount really ,Second : I thin kit would be nice if they make open wide maps for open pvp and maybe 10vs10 In wide map too not like closed one for 5vs5 which not fit 10 player at all
    You said half game ?? What about other half can't they have pvp ?? and even like 10% of game want pvp can't they get what they ask for ?
    . . . . . How about adding to the discussion and give your own ideas on how to improve PvP for you instead of belittling other's opinions? I did not belittle you or your opinions, in fact I even added ideas to the table along with my own opinions. To which, you then criticize without adding any of your own ideas, instead adding a demeanor of rudeness and blind bias. Even in your original post you did not add any ideas or constructiveness for a healthy topic. Step up.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . So, let me break it down...

. . . . . Wrong. Statistically speaking, most online games are PvE-focused games with a dash of PvP.

. . . . . Myself, I get online and play MMORPGs to socialize with, discuss with, party with, quest with, and dungeon crawl with my friends, family and others in a persistant and ever changing world designed around a fantasy setting that I cherish and enjoy.

. . . . . Nope. If I wanted to do this, I would play a PvP Game, not an RPG.

. . . . . Offline games do not offer persitant, ever changing and updated places to explore, crawl, and delve together with like-minded individuals. They quickly come to a close with little replay value. MMOs on the other hand are ever changing and offer an exponential amount of replay value.

. . . . . Partially wrong, partially correct. Some online games are all about PvP, some are not, some mix both. The data is out there, the proof exists since before even Ultima Online in 1997. I strongly suggest to do a little research on this to gain your own perspective.

. . . . . How about you give some of your own ideas?
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm a well known old DnD fanatic too, like old Zeb, with 30 years of dungeon crawling, i dont like PvP in this game, but i'm an avid competitor and i play poker, i play SC2, i play all kind of PvP enviroments, and i agree PvPrs need a bone, i guess best way to give them one is to open foundry to design PvP maps... that will turn people crazy, people will have hundreds of maps to play, without the problems that other "foundry openings" (like boss fights and proper loot, which im still convinced is sorely needed) allow the players to design maps and play modes, but give them the same rewards... problem solved.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . So, let me break it down...

. . . . . Wrong. Statistically speaking, most online games are PvE-focused games with a dash of PvP.

Actually, I have seen this trend change drastically in the last ten years. Used to be, most online games were PvE-focused. Now, most online games have a very strong, if not dominating, PvP-centric theme. League of Legends, World of Tanks, Star Wars The Old Republic, Warhammer Online, EvE Online (my personal favorite MMORPG out there), Guild Wars, Lineage, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online (before they separated PvP out of the mix and killed it), Star Wars Galaxies (before the Jedi versus BH factor was removed and killed it) ...

It's not that PVE wasn't also big in these games. It's that you could argue from the early stages of development, in which I beta'd most, that developers had PvP on their mind and in their plans.

I would argue, though, that PvP was not on the developers minds here in NWO. And I think they are realizing quite quickly that maybe it should have been. The combat system of DnD supports PvP well, because of exactly the same reason it thrives in PvE: group-focused content from classes that vary greatly.
    . . . . . Myself, I get online and play MMORPGs to socialize with, discuss with, party with, quest with, and dungeon crawl with my friends, family and others in a persistant and ever changing world designed around a fantasy setting that I cherish and enjoy.

That's one of the reasons I play MMO's too. To party with others, make friends, do content. My content simply extends to PvP, Realm vs Realm, Gauntlegrym (which I love and play, and if you stop racing horses and actually involve teamwork holding positions and using strategy, changes the enjoyment factor drastically). I also love Neverwinters' IP, being an avid fan of the books and reading through the whole string of them again (on Siege of Darkness).

So I'm right there with you on why I play MMO's, I just don't exclude PvP from that list.
    . . . . . Nope. If I wanted to do this, I would play a PvP Game, not an RPG.

I have played PvP games. I have argued to keep PvP games as PvP games. The longest game I've ever played is PvP centric, first and foremost, EvE online.

As well, I define PvP as more than just combat. Players can compete and fight and argue over who got the most kills, who sold the most on the auction house, or who looted the mob first, etc, etc. Player competition is rife in MMO's.

I have also argued there, and almost everywhere else, that despite what the fringes of the playerbase say, it doesn't have to be either/or. A great game can include great elements of both. The jealousy debates in these games, from both sides, that if you feed the one hand the other hand will quit? Childishness, plain and simple. Both sides benefit.
    . . . . . Offline games do not offer persitant, ever changing and updated places to explore, crawl, and delve together with like-minded individuals. They quickly come to a close with little replay value. MMOs on the other hand are ever changing and offer an exponential amount of replay value.

Agreed 100%. Planetside and EvE online being two games I think of first and foremost when you think of a single, persistent world that requires the utmost of teamwork and exploration. Replay in MMO's, in general, is far higher than a single storyline like Elder Scrolls can generate.
    . . . . . Partially wrong, partially correct. Some online games are all about PvP, some are not, some mix both. The data is out there, the proof exists since before even Ultima Online in 1997. I strongly suggest to do a little research on this to gain your own perspective.

Listed many earlier. I'd really argue, however, that you almost can't have an MMORPG without a base element of PvE. The character progression system really comes into play there.

. . . . . How about you give some of your own ideas?

Agreed. Op should present arguments to stand on, instead of simply asking for the change. Though the ideas are present here on the forums. From queue's to help break down players into more even and fair gear-ladders (since I think skill is too hard to quantify in this game), to game-mode options, to involving guild vs guild and character progression further in the mix. The options are there, and the Ops original claim that PvP needs love too is still very valid in my opinion, even if he seems to be saying that the game should focus on PvP, which I don't necessarily agree.