test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why cant we have good boons passive skills and rewards for campaign?

warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
anyone else think our current boons skills and campaign rewards are very bad ? i wish they would be good like in STO for example which is another cryptic game have very good reputation powers and gear
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Bones skills"? Are you referring to the "boons"? If so, well I figured they are supposed to be nice, but not too overpowering.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    "Bones skills"? Are you referring to the "boons"? If so, well I figured they are supposed to be nice, but not too overpowering.

yeah but they are not rewarding enough :( at least not for me i stopped doing daily quests long time ago i do only weekly for sparks sometimes
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    yeah but they are not rewarding enough :( at least not for me i stopped doing daily quests long time ago i do only weekly for sparks sometimes

While I agree that the later ones do take a while to get, I do not feel that the degree of progression should be too high. If things were much better, then you'd run into instances where the boons become unbalancing.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    While I agree that the later ones do take a while to get, I do not feel that the degree of progression should be too high. If things were much better, then you'd run into instances where the boons become unbalancing.

but would it kill game if boons would give some good passives?like 10% crtic damage,5% crtic chance,5% ap gain,50 damage,0.5secs shorter cd on encounters,5% resistance if they would be something like that they would be a lot more worth of time and not op
    and if rewards from campaign daily quest could be traded for rough ad would be good to 1-1.5 k rough per daily quest so only 9-13.5k total would not be to much and we would have reason to return to sharandar sometimes
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I got to agree with this, I opened up my 2 first boons 2 weeks ago, and they were fairly easy to get without much time sink involved and the rewards are actually worth while boons.

But the following boons leave alot to be desired. i just opened up the 3rd portal today after waiting the 16 hours !! for the key quest to complete and checked the new daily quests out to check up what was involved and how much time was involved in continuing along with the campaign.

from what i have worked out it looks like going on two weeks of loging and doing at least the Sparks quest every day just to open the 3rd boon,, That is a huge time sink increase from the first 2 boons and in reality the rewards are not realy that usefull. i could just spend 1 or 2 days and grind some AD and just upgrade 1 or 2 enchants to acieve the same results if not even more for 1 tenth of the tiime.

As usual there is a way to speed up the process slightly which does of course involve buying keys and opening lockboxes for the relics, lol, way to go.......this is definatly a pay to win campaign, you pay and get everything in a few days, or you grind and it takes weeks and weeks.. so obviously those that pay will advance alot faster than those that dont, Nice balancing there :)

The first 2 boons are deffinatly worth the time to work on but imo from there onwards the sheer time involved in progressing any further for the very little rewards you get , to me are not worth the time at all to do.

If you are already geared out in T2 gear very little or non of the campaign reward gear will be a upgrade either. all the campaign gear is a downgrade for my CW.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    but would it kill game if boons would give some good passives?like 10% crtic damage,5% crtic chance,5% ap gain,50 damage,0.5secs shorter cd on encounters,5% resistance if they would be something like that they would be a lot more worth of time and not op
    and if rewards from campaign daily quest could be traded for rough ad would be good to 1-1.5 k rough per daily quest so only 9-13.5k total would not be to much and we would have reason to return to sharandar sometimes

Over time as they add new campaigns with new boons, it could become game breaking. Best to start small.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Over time as they add new campaigns with new boons, it could become game breaking. Best to start small.

THIS EXACTLY!

You'll notice there is a ton of room on the boon tab for additional campaigns. Id like to hope that this will get added to in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    THIS EXACTLY!

You'll notice there is a ton of room on the boon tab for additional campaigns. Id like to hope that this will get added to in the future.

I just hope that, whatever they do for new campaigns, they can do a better job of consolidating all the different currencies. The sparks, seeds, charms, blades, crescents, and so on, are quite ridiculous. Just have a campaign XP bar that gets filled as you complete tasks, with some preset tasks that unlock the next level within a campaign, once other prerequisites are met - like instead of needing 9 seedlings to complete the blighted grove, require some amount of campaign xp and the successful completion of 1 gnarlroot...
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I think the passives are quite good actually.

The first two are each basically free Rank 9 Enchantments.

The third one is 2% Extra AP Gain. What's to complain about?

The Fourth and Fifth are the meh ones which have some pretty nasty cons but are still good depending on choices.

I've heard Righteousness effects the health gain upon damage taken boon. That's horrible IMO but extra damage is always good and both boons can be viable on other classes depending on builds.

As for the last boon, Elvish Fury requiring players to actually deal the finishing blow makes this a horrible boon. That needs to be refined. However the rest of them are all pretty good especially the Stamina and Guard Meter gain. Depending on the class and build each of the other fifth tier boons are no pushovers.

They aren't game breaking by any means but they are no mild benefit either and do make a significant difference in gameplay.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The 4th boons have a 1 minute internal cooldown, ie they cannot activate more than once per minute. they are useless.
    The 5th boons are meh, they make little to no difference in gameplay, but they are not as terrible as the 4th boons.

also Elvish fury doesn't require you to get the finishing blow. It's the same as any other "kill" requirement such as executioner, participate in the killing of the creature counts as getting the "kill". I basically always have 30 stacks of Elvish fury on my wizard (600 extra power, or 24 more damage per attack, which is meh) unless I go afk.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2013
    The boons are extremely lackluster for the insane grind associated with them, and to make matters worse, the grind is all boring as hell solo garbage in an MMO with no other option to complete, unlike the many routes to completion STO offers to acquire similar (tho much more appreciable) benefits.

Overall I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the expansion. One (one, single) group dungeon with blue drops, where most the gear has to be bought by running the dungeon a bazillion times, a profession that costs millions for minor upgrades you only use once, inane left-click-to-win solo areas that bore me to sleep, and boons that range from absolutely useless to "meh."

Between the longstanding bugs, washy stance on exploiting, complete and total lack of guild activities, and lackluster module 1, module 2 better be an absolute hit to keep me interested in this game with so many new ones coming out soon.
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The first boon choose is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. +250 Def mean nothing for me. The +1% DR direct before change was better than now.
    The +250 Power is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The ~+10 damage with every hit is nothing. +1% damageincrease before was maybe extrem better(i say lashing with 5k+ make more than 50 damage more as now i think). So defending this Changes seems like Brainless think opinions.
    The 'only' good on this are they increase GS. I don't know how the deflect severity work. So i can't say what is better deflection+ or severity. The critchance now is maybe better as the critseverity before. HP-change don't know if it was better before or after(3% vs. now +700). The Ap get a small upgrade 1,75-->2%

1min CD for a +400 damage/healboost is stupid high. The last boon is something between extremely special and complete BS...
    +10% faster stamina/guard? Need to tested if it really work or not. Up to +600 Power? Nonsense... +10% heal for poting? Lol as the little boost will help anyone to survive a T2 hit... Deflection damage to attacker? Extremely dependent on attacker and attacked person...

So this campaign is **** in total manner. Nothing that worth to be called a Module. If it was an event like midsummer, THEN we can say: YEAH YOU HAVE SOMETHING! But so? So many hope, so many calls and then so a disappointing module... Dev work for nothing.
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, imagine that a year or two from now, there are five different endgame campaigns, each of which can give you a set of five boons once you've done all the elements of each campaign enough. I think they'd add up, even if individually each seemed a bit lackluster. Of course, I have no idea if the next module will have a campaign with it following the same pattern as Sharandar, but I could see the intent behind the individual boons being relatively modest since, there'd end up being a lot of them.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Only ~+10 damage per hit is worthless.

How many targets do you hit per attack. How many attacks do you make over the course of a dungeon run.

When one looks at it as only one strike on one target, it is worthless. That's not the way things are though. It's available all the time, so you have to consider the benefit of the boon over time.

Further, they have to consider the cumulative benefit of the boon over five persons, not just one person, to cover the standard dungeon situation.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »

How many targets do you hit per attack. How many attacks do you make over the course of a dungeon run.

When one looks at it as only one strike on one target, it is worthless. That's not the way things are though. It's available all the time, so you have to consider the benefit of the boon over time.

Further, they have to consider the cumulative benefit of the boon over five persons, not just one person, to cover the standard dungeon situation.

Are you kidding? Let's assume that everybody has picked the same boon. So, it's 10 more damage multiplied by 5. You have 50 damage. These mobs have tens of thousands of HP. Is 50 damage any different than 10? Yes, you do more damage in the long run, but that damage is distributed on a lot of enemies and the bonus damage you do on each one of them is meaningless. I have both of the first two offensive boons and I can't see any difference in my damage output. If the boons are not supposed to make an observable difference in your fights, then why do we have them?

Here's what I think they could do with the boons. Each boon could be upgraded further and capped at a much higher value. For example - after you unlock the boon for Power, you could upgrade it to higher and higher values with a cap at, let's say, 1000. For each level of the boon you would have to spend more and more of each currency. That would make you feel like you would get something for your work even if it would have taken more time and currencies.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »

Are you kidding? Let's assume that everybody has picked the same boon. So, it's 10 more damage multiplied by 5. You have 50 damage. These mobs have tens of thousands of HP. Is 50 damage any different than 10? Yes, you do more damage in the long run, but that damage is distributed on a lot of enemies and the bonus damage you do on each one of them is meaningless. I have both of the first two offensive boons and I can't see any difference in my damage output. If the boons are not supposed to make an observable difference in your fights, then why do we have them?

Here's what I think they could do with the boons. Each boon could be upgraded further and capped at a much higher value. For example - after you unlock the boon for Power, you could upgrade it to higher and higher values with a cap at, let's say, 1000. For each level of the boon you would have to spend more and more of each currency. That would make you feel like you would get something for your work even if it would have taken more time and currencies.

idk this sound like to much grind then btw first 2 boons are not so bad since u can get them fast and they improve gs but third forth and fifth are not worth of time at all they need to at least improve them
  • Options
    edited October 2013

It's BS stand BS and in future IT'S BS. If you have 100 Person attack with the same Boon it would'nt make a real difference!

First of all: Mobs get sometimes pushed to dead - additional damage is useless!
    Second: Normal big Mobs have 120-140k HP. The +500-3k damage done because of this boon is USELESS. They get so often a hit that they have -2k or -5k! Then the additional damage aren't needed.

That's T2 PvE.
    In normal PvE or PvP the difference is more useless. You don't have calculated so be don't stupid and say the +power worth ANYTHING! That's a lie of PW not more.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    The first boon choose is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. +250 Def mean nothing for me. The +1% DR direct before change was better than now.
    The +250 Power is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The ~+10 damage with every hit is nothing. +1% damageincrease before was maybe extrem better(i say lashing with 5k+ make more than 50 damage more as now i think). So defending this Changes seems like Brainless think opinions.

What amounts to a free Rank 9 enchant is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
    Think about this for a second. How much does a Rank 9 Radiant or Azure go for in the Auction House?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    What amounts to a free Rank 9 enchant is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
    Think about this for a second. How much does a Rank 9 Radiant or Azure go for in the Auction House?

If you buy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's your mind fail not me. Before changing it was better. And i don't say that the +hp was BS. The + def is for me, same as power. The module 1 is in conclusion of all cases a **** update and wasted developer time!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Most of them are really good. Of course if you expect a passive saying "when you use an encounter spell, you can one-shot all your foes in a 80' radius", you're going to be disappointed.

IMO current boons are even a bit too powerful, i don't like power creep and this game is already easy enough. There is no need to make it even easier and make dungeons look stupid. I have stopped playing STO because this game has serious power creep issues the dev team is denying, zero challenge with the "boons" (called reputation there). I don't want this to happen in neverwinter too. :/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Most of them are really good. Of course if you expect a passive saying "when you use an encounter spell, you can one-shot all your foes in a 80' radius", you're going to be disappointed.

IMO current boons are even a bit too powerful, i don't like power creep and this game is already easy enough. There is no need to make it even easier and make dungeons look stupid. I have stopped playing STO because this game has serious power creep issues the dev team is denying, zero challenge with the "boons" (called reputation there). I don't want this to happen in neverwinter too. :/

What you say make no sense. The difference i mention isn't calculable in 99,97% of the cases. +700 HP don't beware of a kill. +Power i mention is useless as not having it. +Defense only good for them, that not have much of it. Only second boonchoose is a bit good. Third is i say nothing, but a nice check. Fourth is BS in the case. Fifth is a bit good, but really really dependent on your playstyle to be worth anything. So don't defend a useless module.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    What you say make no sense. The difference i mention isn't calculable in 99,97% of the cases. +700 HP don't beware of a kill. +Power i mention is useless as not having it. +Defense only good for them, that not have much of it. Only second boonchoose is a bit good. Third is i say nothing, but a nice check. Fourth is BS in the case. Fifth is a bit good, but really really dependent on your playstyle to be worth anything. So don't defend a useless module.

Like i said, if you expect extremely powerful boons you're going to be even more disappointed. If they do that you're going to complain about how easy the game is. Currently it's definitely not difficult. There is no need to make it easier.

I like small buffs. It gives me something to do, i don't mind if it's not game-breaking, and i'd be really disappointed if it was. 700HP do make a difference to me, i'm sorry if you don't enjoy something similar to a free rank 9 enchantment on your gear. If it means nothing to you i think green lvl 58 gear should suit to your playstyle. :cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If you buy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's your mind fail not me. Before changing it was better. And i don't say that the +hp was BS. The + def is for me, same as power. The module 1 is in conclusion of all cases a **** update and wasted developer time!

It seems that what we have here is a failure to communicate. A boon that is equivalent to a free Rank 9 enchant that doesn't have to be made and socketed is a rather nice bonus. All the more so when it is so easily obtained. The 700 HP is only a Rank 7. :)

• Options
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    It seems that what we have here is a failure to communicate. A boon that is equivalent to a free Rank 9 enchant that doesn't have to be made and socketed is a rather nice bonus. All the more so when it is so easily obtained. The 700 HP is only a Rank 7. :)

250 power/def/crit/deflection is a free rank 9 you don't have to socket. That's really a nice bonus. I'm not completely aware of how hp runes work but a free rank 7 is nice too. These are powerful bonuses. The campaign gives the equivalent of ~1k GS, and yet, people still complain. I guess that's human nature but at least people could admit they are wrong. :p
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2013
    You're right, the first couple boons are about equivalent to high rank enchantments - which is part of the reason they're so deadfully boring to spend time acquiring. I can do anything to gather money and save up for high rank enchantments, but the only way to get these boons is grind these awful instances over and over and over and over and over again. If the boons were even moderately innovative they would be much more desirable. As it stands, I'd rather split my time doing dungeons, GG, PvP, or basically anything besides going back to Sharandar to acquire more power for my character, as the power that the boons offer isn't unique in the slightest. The only boons who's power can't be directly replicated by an enchantment are the extremely lackluster end boons, dwarfed only in triviality by the boons directly preceding them.

If there was ANY other way to proceed through the campaign, it wouldn't have felt as grindy. Maybe give Foundry quests set in the area small, relevant rewards, or 1 new pvp arena that gave relevant rewards, at least 1 more group oriented dungeon and both dungeons awarding sparks, and this expansion would have been fun to play. But there's no variety in either the rewards or the progression, and that makes it terribly boring.

When I log into Neverwinter and start chatting with my friends and guildmates, Sharandar is the absolute last place I want to go.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Doing a daily for a couple of weeks is a grind? You have no clue as to what a "grind" used to be. If you don't want to get the boon then don't do it. Simple.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    250 power/def/crit/deflection is a free rank 9 you don't have to socket. That's really a nice bonus. I'm not completely aware of how hp runes work but a free rank 7 is nice too. These are powerful bonuses. The campaign gives the equivalent of ~1k GS, and yet, people still complain. I guess that's human nature but at least people could admit they are wrong. :p

The HP enchant would be the radiant in a defense socket. THe HP runestones only work on companions and unless they have been fixed they do not work on augment companions.

• Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    500 stat points, 700 HP, a regular tene proc (granted long cooldown), and 10% stamina regen or 400 damage on deflect with no CD are bad?? those are pretty awesome for every class IMO. The damage/heal proc is the only <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> one really. 400 damage on deflect that is affected by your power and can proc tene's is pretty insane
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's a lot of good boons, but some are more obviously better than others. The only one I have issue with is the 4th boon, as that only procs once a minute and for all intent and purpose, useless. They should at least have put that one as the first boon if they're going to keep it as a selection.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What I find annoying is that the best boons are the first two, but the last one is utterly worthless (at least for me as a DC). It would have made more sense to me to have this the other way around - start with the lousy ones and make people have to really work for the best ones.
    Hoping for improvements...