test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

1 Million AD's For This!?

prettyceltprettycelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 777 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Let me get this straight, Cryptic--we pay 1,315,000 AD's for the Hat of the Arcane Wanderer...with no Dressing room...and then it clips into the back of the character's head?

After making them bald and erasing their ears?

Is that a dev joke? Because I'm not laughing. What were you thinking?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Did you ever think to use the Preview server to preview gear before you make the huge purchase live? I have 150 ardent coins and I bought and equipped every weapon too see which was coolest, no way I'd spend 150 days worth of coins without seeing what I'm getting first, common sense I'd think =P
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    bstbybstby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Ranger.jpg
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    prettycelt wrote: »
    How does that help with the expense? Sorry but I don't see the advantage...don't you have to "buy" it in the Preview server too?

When you copy your toon you copy all your money. You can copy your character 100 times if you want to and buy anything you like. You'll still have all your regular AD in the live server.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can delete this post already answered above :)
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Did you ever think to use the Preview server to preview gear before you make the huge purchase live? I have 150 ardent coins and I bought and equipped every weapon too see which was coolest, no way I'd spend 150 days worth of coins without seeing what I'm getting first, common sense I'd think =P

Why should we go all the way to the preview server when it should be available right in the interface?
  • Options
    synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bruenore wrote: »
    Why should we go all the way to the preview server when it should be available right in the interface?

It should be available right in the interface but its not, so you go to the preview server to get a preview or do what the OP did and hope for the best.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    synozeer wrote: »
    It should be available right in the interface but its not, so you go to the preview server to get a preview or do what the OP did and hope for the best.

Key word there is "should". I would never go to a "preview server" to get an appearance. That's a fail on the dev's part.
  • Options
    muhacmuhac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Coz even put in the Interface u can missclick it can happen and the AD is gone so its rather safe to go there even if u lost 5 mins of ur precious time then u wouldnt have to make a Thread like this...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    [sarcasm]

Exactly, fail from the devs to make a whole new mimic shard that let you test until your heart content, including builds and appearances, without affecting your original character in the live shard.

So they should certainly apply a preview feature on the live shards, for the NPC items, so players who are so cool to go to preview shard can be happy and have their nerdgasms.

[/sarcasm]

It is like having 2 cars, but saying "government should apply more public transport so i can get to my work".
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bruenore wrote: »
    Key word there is "should". I would never go to a "preview server" to get an appearance. That's a fail on the dev's part.
    Well, There are MANY tools what we should have but we currently DON'T have.
    One of the feature that would have been cool is the ability to test the "build" before committing.

But we don't have that RIGHT NOW. so if you want something RIGHT NOW, the option is go to the preview server. Copy your character and test whatever you want (builds, looks, etc etc)

That is what we have right now.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm kind of surprised here. I understand completely the availability of the test shard and both its purpose (to test cryptic's content) and extra perks (like previewing things), but let's all at least please acknowledge that it's really bad design to not have a preview window available on live. it's a standard quality of life feature in multiple other mmos that many of us have enjoyed for years. I don't understand why cryptic has never implemented one.

I also think that it's pretty outright silly to actually think that it's completely reasonable to have two complete copies (live and test) of a game installed just purely to be able to see what something looks like on one's character.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    You should not have to log on to the test/preview server to see an item on live. I agree with the OP about this hat. It clips hair and ears and that is ok for a cheap item but not something of this caliber. It is a lot of AD to have that happen whether you can preview it or not it is sloppy work. Sorry, I call it like I see it and this is one of those items that is a small thing yet big. Fix it!!! Or refund the AD and have a tag on it 'Warning will cause baldness'.
  • Options
    rajanixisarajanixisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited October 2013
    litaaers wrote: »
    Ahh, I see the Wildstar Street Team is out in force.

Questions like that ignore what we DO have. A test bed that lets you play in the sandbox with WHATEVER you want. Previewing a hat?!?! How about trying out an instance solo, with no loss of potions or kits, because its all *make-believe* and it doesn't 'count'?

My point is, you could wait months while they program/debug each and every 'we should have this!' preview request... or you could go to Preview and get exactly what you are asking for.
    People are simply asking for the ability to preview without the hoops involved in preview. While it looks like it doesn't require a entirely separate program, how much room does it take up? I'm guessing it has separate file setups.
    esteena wrote: »

It is like having 2 cars, but saying "government should apply more public transport so i can get to my work".
    More like having one, car, and when unable to use it, get told to buy a new car instead of asking for useful public transit.
    l3l3l3l3 wrote: »
    Because its soooo hard to code a dressing room into an mmo /sarcasm

You never know.

Considering the character screen, I'd think not, but I'm not about to make presumptions about code I've never seen.
    -Rajani Isa
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Another reason probly why these devs wont do this preview items thing. What if the preview looks normal and then you buy it and in the game it looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I wouldnt put it past the coders on this game.

Stranger and stupid things happen in this game all the time
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rajanixisa wrote: »
    People are simply asking for the ability to preview without the hoops involved in preview. While it looks like it doesn't require a entirely separate program, how much room does it take up? I'm guessing it has separate file setups.

My understanding is that it's basically like creating a character on a different shard, because the preview shard is just that -- an extra shard for preview content. It does not take up more space or anything.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why would you buy a hat for that much anyway?

If I was going to spend that amount of money for something I had never seen... wait... I WOULDN'T do that...

yeah it's a broken feature... but you are going to spend that kind of AD on something sight/unseen? I've got a cool pre-release PS4 in a box I won from Taco Bell... $700 dollars and it's yours... want to buy it!? Let you see what's in the box!? Wait you don't just want to pay now and see it later? Ahh...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Why would you buy a hat for that much anyway?

To be fair, the hat is pretty darn snazzy, and if you're got that much AD then why not spend it on something fun? If I ever save up enough AD I'm gonna snag one for my halfling wiz. :D
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm kind of surprised here. I understand completely the availability of the test shard and both its purpose (to test cryptic's content) and extra perks (like previewing things), but let's all at least please acknowledge that it's really bad design to not have a preview window available on live. it's a standard quality of life feature in multiple other mmos that many of us have enjoyed for years. I don't understand why cryptic has never implemented one.

I also think that it's pretty outright silly to actually think that it's completely reasonable to have two complete copies (live and test) of a game installed just purely to be able to see what something looks like on one's character.

There is a lot of QoL (at least what we see as QoL) that should exist in all MMO but it doesn't due to various reasons. Account wide bank boxes is one of them. STO (another Cryptic game) has it. I thought this would be STANDARD since they are using the same engine (I presume)

What would be cool is the ability to have more than one companion out (again STO allow upto 4) but no luck there.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    There is a lot of QoL (at least what we see as QoL) that should exist in all MMO but it doesn't due to various reasons. Account wide bank boxes is one of them. STO (another Cryptic game) has it. I thought this would be STANDARD since they are using the same engine (I presume)

The lead producer said during the 24 charity live stream that one of the reasons NW doesn't have an account bank is because having more than 1 shard causes funkiness with them. The shard merger is happening today, so at the very least there is one less reason why we don't have account banks.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    The lead producer said during the 24 charity live stream that one of the reasons NW doesn't have an account bank is because having more than 1 shard causes funkiness with them. The shard merger is happening today, so at the very least there is one less reason why we don't have account banks.

We'll see ;) (I do hope I am totally wrong and we will get account wide bank)
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's basically like creating a character on a different shard, because the preview shard is just that -- an extra shard for preview content. It does not take up more space or anything.

Did you even download and install this? Because I did and it took up an extra 6gigs of space on my hd.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Did you even download and install this? Because I did and it took up an extra 6gigs of space on my hd.

No, I didn't -- hence "my understanding is that." I thought that was how it worked, but apparently it DOES take up extra space.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    No, I didn't -- hence "my understanding is that." I thought that was how it worked, but apparently it DOES take up extra space.

It does since it is a totally separate system.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    well... considering it's not 1990, i think an extra 6 gigs or whatever it is isn't going to kill anyone.

crying about what neverwinter ISN'T is another story. but perhaps in a future patch, there will be pictures with item tooltip descriptions... until that day, you have the preview server. if that's a deal breaker for you... BYE.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    well... considering it's not 1990, i think an extra 6 gigs or whatever it is isn't going to kill anyone.

crying about what neverwinter ISN'T is another story. but perhaps in a future patch, there will be pictures with item tooltip descriptions... until that day, you have the preview server. if that's a deal breaker for you... BYE.

We hope with CORRECT tooltip (even some games can't get it right and have to fix that) What would be cool would be a SIMS style try out room. You can try out all kinds of outfit and see how it looks. It would be a good goals for some to hunt for those outfits (more dungeon runs, boxes opening etc etc)
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sure... i could see where you right click an item and have the option to try it on... maybe "preview" would be the proper nomenclature. and it would open a larger window so you could zoom in and out, turn your character in circles, blah blah blah. obviously style and the item's look is a factor thought into neverwinter and this would be a great addition.

but that being said... it's not here... we have no promise of it coming... and right now, all we have is the preview server to use as we please. it is truly a great option to have in our arsenal.